Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369336 times)

Offline aeris30

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #2400 on: Dec 29, 2010 at 04:36 PM »

super!  if you are up to it my offer stands chief reddy!  my gift is waiting to be sent... seriously.  ;)

PM sent, thanks!   8)

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #2401 on: Dec 29, 2010 at 04:41 PM »
PM sent, thanks!   8)

got it!  sending tomorrow!  let me know when it arrives chief!  thanks again!
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2402 on: Dec 29, 2010 at 04:57 PM »
got it!  sending tomorrow!  let me know when it arrives chief!  thanks again!

Ok sir  :)

Offline joelsoldao

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • "Cute sa picture gwapo sa personal"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2403 on: Jan 08, 2011 at 07:02 AM »
Dissapointed with the 3d performance of my PS3.  :(

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2404 on: Jan 08, 2011 at 07:10 AM »
Dissapointed with the 3d performance of my PS3.  :(

There is only so much that PS3 can do with its FW update & we can't expect PS3 to perform 3D miracles.

If you're really into 3D then you will to look into getting a separate dedicated 3D player. :)  
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011 at 07:10 AM by pchin »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2405 on: Jan 09, 2011 at 09:35 AM »
i have been using the power control through hdmi feature of my onkyo 806 for the past two months. and it has been quite ok. my media player and ps3 is connected to the 806 and the 806 outputs to my lcd panel.

for media player (xtreamer), receiver on standby, i can play my videos with the tv speakers at 2 channels.

for ps3, receiver on standby, i can play bd movies with audio coming out of the tv speakers provided i change audio settings from bitstream to lpcm.

my issue is i started to play some games again (haven't been for the past 6 months) and no sound is coming out. i tried bitsreaming, tried the lpcm settings. activated the hdmi power control of the ps3 too. to no avail. the only thing i have seen that i have not change is the multiple audio output. but does this mean that i have to resort to connecting an optical cable to my ps3 to the 806 to make this work. hassle.

any deas. tia.  :)

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2406 on: Jan 09, 2011 at 03:20 PM »
my issue is i started to play some games again (haven't been for the past 6 months) and no sound is coming out. i tried bitsreaming, tried the lpcm settings. activated the hdmi power control of the ps3 too. to no avail. the only thing i have seen that i have not change is the multiple audio output. but does this mean that i have to resort to connecting an optical cable to my ps3 to the 806 to make this work. hassle.

any deas. tia.  :)

I'm not sure if this is your answer, but you need to redo audio settings every time you switch from avr to tv output via passthru. so if your receiver is in standby mode, you have to go back inside sound settings (PS3), select hdmi, have it auto detect the sound and then click save. do this again if you want to use your receiver anman. ganun po tlaga siya.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2407 on: Jan 09, 2011 at 03:44 PM »
I'm not sure if this is your answer, but you need to redo audio settings every time you switch from avr to tv output via passthru. so if your receiver is in standby mode, you have to go back inside sound settings (PS3), select hdmi, have it auto detect the sound and then click save. do this again if you want to use your receiver anman. ganun po tlaga siya.

hmmm... thanks for this, i will try it out. pero medyo hassle pala.

for the bd movie. ok na siya, without changing settings. dun ko lang sya pinapalitan within the movie from bitstream to lpcm and i have tried it with receiver on and on standby.

anyway, appreciate your help. subukan ko. pero meyo weird nga, since its when i am playing games or my son that we dont like to have the receiver on dun pa mas complicated.  :)

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2408 on: Jan 09, 2011 at 04:05 PM »
this is the only setting i tweak cuz it's the fastest. click audio settings -> hdmi then *swoosh*...oks na. basta marinig niyo lang yung clicks while surfing the xmb icons you're good to go.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2409 on: Jan 09, 2011 at 08:48 PM »
this is the only setting i tweak cuz it's the fastest. click audio settings -> hdmi then *swoosh*...oks na. basta marinig niyo lang yung clicks while surfing the xmb icons you're good to go.

i did it. yup it worked! thanks!  :)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2410 on: Jan 09, 2011 at 10:27 PM »
Would there be an issue re the PS3 if my TV is only HD ready (1024x768 pixels)  and not full HD?
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2011 at 10:42 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2411 on: Jan 10, 2011 at 05:38 AM »
Would there be an issue re the PS3 if my TV is only HD ready (1024x768 pixels)  and not full HD?
There should be no problem. Previously I was using my 720p display with my PS3. ;)

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2412 on: Jan 10, 2011 at 08:24 PM »

Just make sure you set your HDMI to auto

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2413 on: Jan 13, 2011 at 06:07 AM »
Sony sues PS3 hackers
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpotPosted Jan 13, 2011 4:07 am GMT +8
Console maker alleges a conspiracy to unlawfully circumvent system's security measures; hacker says claims have no basis.

Recently, hackers proclaimed victory over the PlayStation 3's security measures, releasing security keys allowing people to run unauthorized software on their consoles, including pirated games, homebrew programs, and even custom firmware. Sony Computer Entertainment America fired back yesterday, filing suit in US District Court against original iPhone jailbreaker George Hotz and multiple members of a hacking collective called fail0verflow.

The suit seeks injunctive relief and damages, accusing the hackers of breach of contract, tortuous interference with contractual relations, trespassing, common law misappropriation, and violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Copyright Act, and the California Comprehensive Computer Data Access and Fraud Act.

Additionally, Sony characterizes the hackers' efforts as a conspiracy because they worked together to circumvent the PS3 security measures and encouraged others to build on those actions. As a result, Sony wants each of the defendants held liable for all acts committed in furtherance of the conspiracy by the other members.

"Unless this court enjoins defendants' unlawful conduct, hackers will succeed in their attempts to ensure that pirated software can be run on the PS3 system, resulting in the destruction of SCEA's business," the suit states.

Sony is also seeking a temporary restraining order preventing the defendants from circumventing the PS3 security or assisting others in that act, as well as an evidentiary preservation order requiring them to preserve all hardware and files related to their hacking efforts. Those requests have not yet been ruled on by a judge.

When asked for comment, Hotz provided GameSpot with the following statement: "I am a firm believer in digital rights. I would expect a company that prides itself on intellectual property to be well versed in the provisions of the law, so I am disappointed in Sony's current action. I have spoken with legal counsel and I feel comfortable that Sony's action against me doesn't have any basis."

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2414 on: Jan 18, 2011 at 08:00 PM »
noob question lang po: will a ps3 upscale an SD DVD to HD when played in it like what most Standalone BD players do? di po makabackread dami ng posts hehe

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2415 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 05:42 AM »
Yes it will upscale your dvd.

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2416 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 07:28 AM »
ff up question po: is ps3's dvd upscaling/upconverting ability at par or even superior with that of the standalone players? i am really having a hard time choosing which to buy.

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2417 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 08:07 AM »
My Sony dvd upscaler is now gathering dust. PS3 and BD player upscales dvd better than dvd upscaler player. thats my personal experience.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2418 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 03:54 PM »
ff up question po: is ps3's dvd upscaling/upconverting ability at par or even superior with that of the standalone players? i am really having a hard time choosing which to buy.

Yes, the Ps3's upscaler is one of the best in the market. In fact it came in 3rd place in the upscaler shoot-out next only to the Oppo-983 & Toshiba HD-X-A2

But I would suggest that you keep your Ps3 exclusively for games & bluray only.
Sayang naman lens.

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2419 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 05:52 PM »
will dvds really damage its lens big time if used frequently (as a player)?sayang naman.. already planned on getting this one. ill use it sana 60% for movies (dvd) and 40% for games. yun kasi ang downside nya sakin eh masyadong mahal ang games XD di naman pwede pirated unlike nung ninuno nitong ps 1 at 2^^,

Offline bananabond

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2420 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM »
anybody experience hanging after stopping bd playback? Parang nawawala video output

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2421 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 09:39 PM »
anybody experience hanging after stopping bd playback? Parang nawawala video output

but after the blue screen, does the ps3's menu comes back on? if so, then its normal, that's the hdmi switching.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2422 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 04:10 PM »
Anyone updated to FW 3.56 yet?

Offline bananabond

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2423 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 10:35 PM »
but after the blue screen, does the ps3's menu comes back on? if so, then its normal, that's the hdmi switching.

no hindi na bumabalik sa home screen just color blue. i think theres something wrong with my tv... rv700 full hd..pag naka 1080p yung display ng ps3 this happens, pero pag naka automatic ang setting koay naman. tv is 1 month old pa lang. i guess parang hirap siya sa handshake with ps3...

Offline immobulus

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2424 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 07:56 PM »
disappointed ako sa upscaling capability ng ps3  :-[ bakit ganun? kahit naka normal/fullscreen yung upscaling ng dvd eh wala akong makitang difference. pareho lang ang PQ niya sa nakaOFF sa upscale settings. may namiss kaya ako kaya walang pagbabago sa PQ kahit nakaON na yung upscale settings? HDMI po gamit ko.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2425 on: Feb 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM »
Yes it will upscale your dvd.

Do note that upscaling only occurs via an HDMI connection. When hooked up for analog, such as component, It stays on 480i. :(

Offline mcjefferson

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2426 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 09:05 AM »
i just bought yesterday ps3 at datablitz..,just want to ask if wala ba talagang fan sa likod ang bagong labas

ng ps3? mabilis kasi uminit.
LG 47LA7400 / SAM UA40EH5000
Onkyo HT-S5300 / A-922M stereo set 
Polk RTI A3 / dsw pro 400
PS3

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2427 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 04:02 PM »
i just bought yesterday ps3 at datablitz..,just want to ask if wala ba talagang fan sa likod ang bagong labas

ng ps3? mabilis kasi uminit.

wala po, ako nag order ng intercooler sa amazon 17 USD yata wala kase ako makita dito sa atin eh, advise naman nila 2 to 3 hours use then turn off for around 30 minutes tapos pwede na ulit,

by the way, how much po sa datablitz? is that 160 or 320 gb?
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2428 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 10:51 PM »
I think they intentionally did that to keep kids from spending too much time on it.

Offline mcjefferson

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2429 on: Feb 26, 2011 at 05:40 AM »
wala po, ako nag order ng intercooler sa amazon 17 USD yata wala kase ako makita dito sa atin eh, advise naman nila 2 to 3 hours use then turn off for around 30 minutes tapos pwede na ulit,

by the way, how much po sa datablitz? is that 160 or 320 gb?
I pick 320gb gave it to me for 15k flat cash.
LG 47LA7400 / SAM UA40EH5000
Onkyo HT-S5300 / A-922M stereo set 
Polk RTI A3 / dsw pro 400
PS3