Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369384 times)

Offline bongskiman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #2430 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 03:18 PM »
Yes, the Ps3's upscaler is one of the best in the market. In fact it came in 3rd place in the upscaler shoot-out next only to the Oppo-983 & Toshiba HD-X-A2

But I would suggest that you keep your Ps3 exclusively for games & bluray only.
Sayang naman lens.

Hindi ba separate and lens ng Bluray at lens ng CD/DVD sa PS3?
Noong nagtatrabaho pa ako sa Panasonic we were manufacturing pick-ups for Blurays and there were two lenses, one for each.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2431 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 03:30 PM »
Hindi ba separate and lens ng Bluray at lens ng CD/DVD sa PS3?
Noong nagtatrabaho pa ako sa Panasonic we were manufacturing pick-ups for Blurays and there were two lenses, one for each.

Yes, one lens for each DVD & Blu-ray.

But, they ride on the same platform.
If the platform wears out, wala din.

Offline Prometheus75

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2432 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 04:09 PM »
My 4-year old 80GB PS3 phat (the now rare model with the PS2 emulator :'() YLOD'd on me a couple of weeks ago.

I now have a new 320G PS3 Slim AND a separate cd-r king BD player, which I got for P3,990, for my HD viewing needs ;D

Anyway, back when the PSP still had movie titles coming out for it, I remember reading this article about how playing movie discs on the handheld not only drained the battery faster, but also wore out the lens moreso than playing game discs.

Supposedly, during gameplay, the lens only comes into contact with the disc whenever you prompt movement on the screen by pressing the buttons, whereas during movie playback, the lens is in contact with the disc the entire length of the movie, and thus their tendency to wear out the lens more, and quicker.

(Btw, I only explained what I got from the article in layman's terms ;D
Going 3D, at last! (And I don't care it it's a fad.)

Offline BusyChild

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2433 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 04:34 PM »
My 4-year old 80GB PS3 phat (the now rare model with the PS2 emulator :'() YLOD'd on me a couple of weeks ago.

I now have a new 320G PS3 Slim AND a separate cd-r king BD player, which I got for P3,990, for my HD viewing needs ;D

Anyway, back when the PSP still had movie titles coming out for it, I remember reading this article about how playing movie discs on the handheld not only drained the battery faster, but also wore out the lens moreso than playing game discs.

Supposedly, during gameplay, the lens only comes into contact with the disc whenever you prompt movement on the screen by pressing the buttons, whereas during movie playback, the lens is in contact with the disc the entire length of the movie, and thus their tendency to wear out the lens more, and quicker.

(Btw, I only explained what I got from the article in layman's terms ;D

Wow... thanks for this post. I was planning to get a PS3 since wala pa akong Blu-ray player. 2-in-1 na sana, for gaming and Blu-ray watching... pwede pala mabugbog ang lens kung puro Blu-ray watching lang... got it! Thanks...
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2434 on: Apr 20, 2011 at 04:25 PM »
Bros, doesn't the lens float above the disk?  I agree thought better to get a separate BD player anyway there are good enough. 
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2435 on: May 01, 2011 at 07:37 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Htgh9L87XY

New Cinavia DRM takes aim at pirates
Written by Andre Yoskowitz

FileShareFreak has a very interesting report out today about Cinavia DRM, which is a new audio watermarking technology that takes aim at pirates, and those trying to playback movie downloads via their PlayStation 3s.

The site says the watermarking works by "comparing the source of the audio to the format in which a movie was released (ie theatrical or commercial disc), and if the watermarked audio source detects a difference, the movie will either be mute (but most likely not play at all)."

To date, it has been found in a TS version of "The Wolfman" that has been popular via P2P and torrent sites.

"Movies protected by Cinavia technology carry inaudible codes embedded by the copyright owner in their audio tracks that indicate where and how they are allowed to be used. For example, movies that are being released to theaters can carry a Cinavia code that indicates that they are supposed to be duplicated by professional replicators and played back on professional projection equipment only," reads the official site.

The TS version of Wolfman, which uses "line" audio recorded through a headphone jack, had the watermark, and when added to the camera source, the audio did not match (it was searching for theatrical release) and is therefore muted when played back on Blu-ray players and the PS3, which have Cinavia DRM supported.

You can check if your Blu-ray player has the DRM check built-in here, but be noted that ALL new BD players will have it as of the Q1 2010.

Of course, if you are playing the files back on your DVD player or PC, you won't have a problem, as there are none that have Cinavia detectors.

Likely, hackers will find away around this watermark DRM, but for now, the cat-and-mouse game is on.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011 at 07:40 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2436 on: May 30, 2011 at 05:52 AM »
I have an old PS3 40GB. Can it do BD Live? I'm connected wirelessly to my home network. TIA

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2437 on: Jun 01, 2011 at 09:04 AM »
question lang po sa mga gurus, i have the old PS3 80GB which does not read PS3 Games anymore (looks like lens again) have replaced the lens before but did not last that long kahit seldom lang ginagamit. Will it be better for me to buy a new one or have it repaired again? If ever I decide to buy a new one mayron ba bumibili ng old PS3 80GB na ayaw bumasa ang lens (complete with box and everything that comes with it)? thanks very much!

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2438 on: Jun 02, 2011 at 06:53 AM »
question lang po sa mga gurus, i have the old PS3 80GB which does not read PS3 Games anymore (looks like lens again) have replaced the lens before but did not last that long kahit seldom lang ginagamit. Will it be better for me to buy a new one or have it repaired again? If ever I decide to buy a new one mayron ba bumibili ng old PS3 80GB na ayaw bumasa ang lens (complete with box and everything that comes with it)? thanks very much!

Bro Von, I think just buy the new slim version that can passthrough HD Audio and with a higher capacity HDD rather having the lens repaired. Maybe you got a lemon. Mine is the older 40GB PS3 pa but until now going strong playing my games and BDs. Never had the lens replaced yet.

Try mo sa Greenhills if they will buy your PS3.  ;)

Offline ikatrese

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • turning geek is never too late
  • Liked:
« Reply #2439 on: Jun 02, 2011 at 08:23 AM »

bro, anong firmware na yan?

thanks!
people are strange when you're a stranger...

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2440 on: Jun 02, 2011 at 10:44 AM »
Bro Von, I think just buy the new slim version that can passthrough HD Audio and with a higher capacity HDD rather having the lens repaired. Maybe you got a lemon. Mine is the older 40GB PS3 pa but until now going strong playing my games and BDs. Never had the lens replaced yet.

Try mo sa Greenhills if they will buy your PS3.  ;)

Thanks Doc!!! will go to Greenhills, and try to sell them my old PS3.

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2441 on: Jun 02, 2011 at 10:47 AM »

thanks!

naku brader diko kabisado, will check later and post it here. my son was playing this when suddenly tumigil na lang parang saw in the net that this game is notorious sumira ng PS3. As to why I really don't know.

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2442 on: Jun 03, 2011 at 07:01 AM »

thanks!

brader checked the firmware version and its ver 3.01. Thanks!

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #2443 on: Jun 04, 2011 at 04:04 PM »
Guys I dont know if this topic has been posted already it will be a long search ;D Just knew it yesterday that my friend's PS3 w/c came from Dubai plays BDs that are Region A & Bs. Does also our PS3 sold here locally plays Region B also?

My friend is only good in playing & is not into watching BDs  so his not sure about this question ;)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2444 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 09:05 AM »
Question folks onthe BD playback of PS3. Is it just me or the video quality of PS3 is somewhat inferior to a standalone BD player? I have the LGBD530 for BD playback before the PS3 and somehow, I find it better than the PS3. Is there something I can tweak to improve it?

Tried it side by side with different movies pero ganun pa din yung result. No change on the TV settings so it should not be a factor. I am using PV80 as display pala.

Saan pala makakabili ng murang fan for the PS3? its on the second layer kasi ng 3 layer TV rack and mainit siya after 2-3 hours of use.

Thanks.
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2445 on: Aug 18, 2011 at 08:21 PM »
Where can i buy the PS3 Remote Control and how much? TY  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2446 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 01:01 AM »
Where can i buy the PS3 Remote Control and how much? TY  ;)

@datablitz or itech. its around P1.1k

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2447 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 03:11 PM »
ok TY Pao!! ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Yunarce

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2448 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 03:49 PM »
Mga master! pa help naman! can my region 3 ps3 play region 1,2,3 bluray and region 1,2,3? Nabasa ko na sa forums ito but hindi ko mahanap ung thread and page dun sa sagot. Thanks!!  :)

Offline BusyChild

• DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2449 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 05:10 PM »
Mga master! pa help naman! can my region 3 ps3 play region 1,2,3 bluray and region 1,2,3? Nabasa ko na sa forums ito but hindi ko mahanap ung thread and page dun sa sagot. Thanks!!  :)

Ito yata yung answer sa question mo...

As of now there's still no known "crack" to make it playable in multiple region for DVD. Hence, the current situation is the PS3 is playable to its own made region. e.g. Asian edition will play R3 DVD only while US edition will play R1 DVD only. As for Blu-ray, both Asian & US share the same region so watching Blu is not a problem. If you really need to use your PS3 for your DVD then you may want to consider getting the PS3 edition that match your most DVD collection.

Or you can use your current DVD player. Also, with the price of the current DVD player, it's easier to buy an universal DVD player. ;D
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline Yunarce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2450 on: Aug 20, 2011 at 07:19 PM »
salamat brader BusyChild!! Good to know na almost all BD ay pwede ma play sa PS3. :)

Offline whirlpool

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2451 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 08:26 PM »
Mga sirs,

Question lang po. My wife is in Dubai. Magpapabili sana ako ng PS3 doon. Medyo affordable pala kumpara dito sa atin. Tanong ko lang kung ang Dubai PS3 unit will play our local BD and DVD here?

Thanks  :)

Offline FrancisS

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Collector
  • Drive your car and speakers safely!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2452 on: Aug 23, 2011 at 04:50 PM »
PS3 Prices to drop more. :)

Sony Computer Entertainment Sets New Price for PlayStation®3

PlayStation®3 Available at an Attractive New Price of 24,980 yen, $249 and euro 249, Effective Immediately for North America and Europe, and Starting August 18 for Japan

TOKYO, Aug. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system with 160GB hard disk drive (HDD), currently available at a recommended retail price (RRP) of 29,980 yen (including tax), $299 and euro 299, will be available at a very attractive new RRP of 24,980 yen (including tax) for Japan, $249 for North America and euro 249 for Europe/PAL territories. SCE will also reduce the price of the PS3® system with 320GB HDD, currently available at a RRP of 34,980 yen (including tax), $349 and euro 349, to RRP of 29,980 yen (including tax), $299 and euro 299. The new pricing will be immediately effective for North America and Europe/PAL territories, and starting August 18, 2011 for Japan.
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Aaudio/Wharfe 9.3,9CM,9.1
Sony BDP S570+PS3
Pilyo Amp4v2 + 2 12" JBL GT5

Offline shoji

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2453 on: Aug 23, 2011 at 10:33 PM »
ang tanong kailan baba yung ps3 dito sa atin.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #2454 on: Aug 31, 2011 at 08:47 AM »
Mga sirs,

Question lang po. My wife is in Dubai. Magpapabili sana ako ng PS3 doon. Medyo affordable pala kumpara dito sa atin. Tanong ko lang kung ang Dubai PS3 unit will play our local BD and DVD here?

Thanks  :)
Sir my friends BD came from Dubai & it plays multi-region BDs but if not mistaken there are just firmware updates to be made ;)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline whirlpool

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2455 on: Sep 05, 2011 at 01:08 PM »
Sir my friends BD came from Dubai & it plays multi-region BDs but if not mistaken there are just firmware updates to be made ;)

Sir at_sunset_blvd,

While awaiting for an answer prior to your reply I told my wife to cancel my PS3 order. Last month I ask people from data blitz if it will play our local bluray disc (games & movies) and they said yes. But i still have doubt and then nakita ko reply mo ngayon (sori late ko na nabasa). Again, my wife is coming home this October and definitely I will order one. SIR, THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING TO MY INQUIRY  :) :) :)

randy

Offline Yunarce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2456 on: Sep 08, 2011 at 08:44 PM »
Masters may ask po ako. When i play a DD TrueHD 7.1 Bluray from my PS3 to my receiver, DD lang ang nka display dun sa panel ng receiver (Denon 1912). Pag Bitstream yan pero pag PCM ganun din pag press ko ng select nkalagay sa info DD lng ung audio. Ung BD movie is Shrek. :(

eto pa pala.. when i play a DTS-HD MA (.m2ts ung file) walang sound output ung video. But when i play it through pc may sound sxa. weird.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2011 at 09:11 PM by Yunarce »

Offline timtim15

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2457 on: Sep 08, 2011 at 09:59 PM »
Sir at_sunset_blvd,

While awaiting for an answer prior to your reply I told my wife to cancel my PS3 order. Last month I ask people from data blitz if it will play our local bluray disc (games & movies) and they said yes. But i still have doubt and then nakita ko reply mo ngayon (sori late ko na nabasa). Again, my wife is coming home this October and definitely I will order one. SIR, THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING TO MY INQUIRY  :) :) :)

randy

sir I have a ps3 from dubai, and it does not play region A bds. afaik, region b ang dubai. so make sure before you buy ask the sales person kung meron silang region A bds tapos iplay nila sa ps3 na bibilhin ng wife nyo. our local bds are region A

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2458 on: Sep 08, 2011 at 11:29 PM »
Masters may ask po ako. When i play a DD TrueHD 7.1 Bluray from my PS3 to my receiver, DD lang ang nka display dun sa panel ng receiver (Denon 1912). Pag Bitstream yan pero pag PCM ganun din pag press ko ng select nkalagay sa info DD lng ung audio. Ung BD movie is Shrek. :(

eto pa pala.. when i play a DTS-HD MA (.m2ts ung file) walang sound output ung video. But when i play it through pc may sound sxa. weird.

Hindi pa ko master pero HDMI cable ba ginagamit mo sir? Thru HDMI connection ma-enable ang lossless audio sa PS3, hindi kasi kaya ng toslink/optical ang bandwidth. If you do, be sure to set HDMI > LPCM sa Sound settings. Other than that wala na ko maisip, your Denon is capable to decode HD audio naman.

Offline Yunarce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2459 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 08:06 AM »
Hindi pa ko master pero HDMI cable ba ginagamit mo sir? Thru HDMI connection ma-enable ang lossless audio sa PS3, hindi kasi kaya ng toslink/optical ang bandwidth. If you do, be sure to set HDMI > LPCM sa Sound settings. Other than that wala na ko maisip, your Denon is capable to decode HD audio naman.

Yess boss hdmi gmit ko connected sa receiver. I think the movie or the BD is the problem. It says sa label sa likod ng BD capable sxa ng DD TrueHD 7.1 pero when i pressed select pra sa info nung movie DD lng nkalagay. Dapat DD TrueHD nkalagay dun dba or something?  Ill try nlng ibang BD movie and see. :)

edit: Kaya rin ba mag stream ng DTS-HD MA / DD TrueHD through network? Hindi ko ma-try kase ung file na nadownload ko is .m2ts format which is hnd ata compatible sa PS3 not sure though. Demo sya ng DTS-HD MA pero walang sound pag stream ko sxa from my PS3 through network.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2011 at 08:17 AM by Yunarce »