Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369272 times)

Offline DonKB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • You've Made a Critical Error. Reformat Life? [Y/N]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #510 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 05:09 PM »
btw guys, hinay-hinay lang sa paggamit ng PS3 as your blu-ray player...
after 8 months of abuse.. este use, just got my BD lens busted :(
luckily EYO in greenhills have these in stock, PHP 5,500 ang repair cost.

Hmm... That's not bad na rin. Considering repair shops in Greenhills offer Xbox 360 lens for P5k!!!  >:( Ugh. They're still charging that much for "older" technology. At ilang beses sa isang araw ka mag-session sa PS3? Ako nga eh, nasira agad yung BD drive ng Asian PS3 ko in a month's time. Hindi ko pa masyado nagamit iyon kasi na-busy pa ako sa Super Mario Galaxy sa Wii!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 03:10 AM by DonKB »
When you're an angry nerd, swearing's as easy as breathing.

Offline rexdc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #511 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 09:44 PM »
rexdc, may we know what kind of "abuse" did you commit so we can learn from it & hopefully prevent similar unpleasant situations. Tnx :)

actually hindi naman masyado abuse..  :) but since day 1, mga 2-2.5 hours on weekdays, tapos marathon na sa weekends.. used it primarily as a BD Player, seldom use it for games.. so talagang babad yung lens nya.. talked with EYO techs, and normally sa PS3 lens lang ang nasisira.. unlike the 360..  ;D

Offline rexdc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 09:48 PM »
Ang ganda nito kaya lang it can only be used for the ps3 only. dagdag clutter. hehe.

@rexdc tinatakot mo naman ako e. padating palang ps3 ko e. haha  ;D

hehe actually moks007 was there when my ps3 was being repaired... it was like 3 weeks ago.. didn't want to post it kasi baka nga matakot kayo hehe but i guess, the PS3 is still the best value/best performer/bang for the buck.. in other words.. sulit nga :) maalikabok na xb0x 360 ko, takot ako baka mag 3rl na naman eh  ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #513 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 10:30 PM »
actually hindi naman masyado abuse..  :) but since day 1, mga 2-2.5 hours on weekdays, tapos marathon na sa weekends.. used it primarily as a BD Player, seldom use it for games.. so talagang babad yung lens nya.. talked with EYO techs, and normally sa PS3 lens lang ang nasisira.. unlike the 360..  ;D

OK I hope my PS3 will not come to that extend  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 08:23 AM »
"Studio executive panelists as well as manufacturers speaking at the conference acknowledged the current absence of BD-Live players. Yet, Eklund said Sony and other studios anticipate that the PlayStation 3 will soon become one such player, likely through firmware updates, as the console already allows users to download game-related content.

Eklund added that firmware should be released for the PS3 this month that would upgrade the console to fully playback picture-in-picture interactivity, another type of high-def bonus feature that is popular in HD DVD titles but not yet available with Blu-ray titles due to few compatible players."

Full article

Online Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2400
« Reply #515 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 09:57 AM »
hehe actually moks007 was there when my ps3 was being repaired... it was like 3 weeks ago.. didn't want to post it kasi baka nga matakot kayo hehe but i guess, the PS3 is still the best value/best performer/bang for the buck.. in other words.. sulit nga :) maalikabok na xb0x 360 ko, takot ako baka mag 3rl na naman eh  ;D

Hi Rex, how are you? Glad to hear your PS3 is fixed na, ya good thing its just the lens and not the drive or anything else. However its expensive nga for repair...I think the Playstation usually nga have these lens problems. Actually thats the first thing I was checking all around the net (asking here and there) before I buy the ps3..My ps1 had lens prob (but I really played non stop with that, Really sulit ;D) My Ps2 have no problems because I rarely use it. Right now Im conserving my ps3 to 2 to 3 hours a day, every other day..Once or twice a month for marathon  ;D hehe..Ya I agree its built tougher than the xbox360..I rarely use my xbox360 and it conked out on me in 10 months. Man that is something else >:( However right now Im patting/kissing it like my pet so it will not do that again. ;D Of course, best is praying..)

I wonder whats the difference between the Ps3 and the standalone in terms of the lens. I know standalone use bd/roms like the ones for computers right? But they seem tough.. However, I had a LG dvdrom/writer before in my computer and also rarely used and it got busted also in 3 to 4 years. I guess if it will go it will go no matter what.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 07:48 PM »

Wow, hate to dwell on this but this is pretty alarming don't you think???  Let's say we assume you average +/- 3 hours for weekdays and +/- 8 hours weekends would round up to over 30 hours per week.  If you said the lens conked out after 8 months (~32 weeks), that means the mileage on your lens is only 960 hours

That translates to viewing around 480 HD titles (assuming +/- 2hrs/movie).  If the cost of the new lens is around P5k like you mentioned, then total investment would roughly come down to spending around P10/ title.... Hmmm... not bad na rin pala  ;D  Puedeng di na pala kayo mag-tipid mga bro...  ;)  *Assuming that the time we plotted here already includes gaming time.

Thanks for the heads up rexdc!  :)

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 04:22 PM »
Wow, hate to dwell on this but this is pretty alarming don't you think???  Let's say we assume you average +/- 3 hours for weekdays and +/- 8 hours weekends would round up to over 30 hours per week.  If you said the lens conked out after 8 months (~32 weeks), that means the mileage on your lens is only 960 hours

That translates to viewing around 480 HD titles (assuming +/- 2hrs/movie).  If the cost of the new lens is around P5k like you mentioned, then total investment would roughly come down to spending around P10/ title.... Hmmm... not bad na rin pala  ;D  Puedeng di na pala kayo mag-tipid mga bro...  ;)  *Assuming that the time we plotted here already includes gaming time.

Thanks for the heads up rexdc!  :)

@5.5k for a lens... thats roughly more than 1/4 price of a ps3 40gb.. in theory.. you could sell the "damaged" ps3 and buy a new one
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 at 04:30 PM by allenwfc »
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 05:14 PM »
@5.5k for a lens... thats roughly more than 1/4 price of a ps3 40gb.. in theory.. you could sell the "damaged" ps3 and buy a new one

Fair opinion allenwfc. :)  IMHO though, economically speaking we're talking about a 19k cash outlay difference between the two options (24.5k New PS3 less 5.5k Repair Savings), which in my case, is already quite considerable.  That amount would already be sufficient for some guys to go HD neutral with the dropping Tosh players.  ;)

Based on the tech's feedback that it's really just the pick-up lens which is the primary issue with a PS3's upkeep, then I guess it would be safe to assume that once that is replaced then the unit would be practically good as new (8-months is not that long a depreciation time).  That said, I feel it would not be too wise to dispose and replace yet.  If something else breaks thereafter then your suggestion would surely hold more water but until then, a replacement lens IMHO doesn't sound that bad an investment  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 at 05:32 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 06:52 PM »
Fair opinion allenwfc. :)  IMHO though, economically speaking we're talking about a 19k cash outlay difference between the two options (24.5k New PS3 less 5.5k Repair Savings), which in my case, is already quite considerable.  That amount would already be sufficient for some guys to go HD neutral with the dropping Tosh players.  ;)

Based on the tech's feedback that it's really just the pick-up lens which is the primary issue with a PS3's upkeep, then I guess it would be safe to assume that once that is replaced then the unit would be practically good as new (8-months is not that long a depreciation time).  That said, I feel it would not be too wise to dispose and replace yet.  If something else breaks thereafter then your suggestion would surely hold more water but until then, a replacement lens IMHO doesn't sound that bad an investment  ;)

small comment

a 40 gb is only 19+k now.. we can count it as 20k for Hk/asian version
that means a 14.5k outlay isntead 19k for the 40 gb of course :)

another thing that comes to mind... purchashing the unit from big retailers ex. western abenson etc. granted they cost more..

but only about 3-5k more.. but they have 1 year full warranty... and if you expect lens to break in a few months... thats sounds like a wiser investment :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 07:42 PM »
'Profile 1.1' update to bring flashy new features to PS3 Blu-ray player

PS3 Blu-ray upgrade expected this month.

Sony expects to have an update for PS3 later this month that will add support for the next generation of Blu-ray playback features.

'Profile 1.1' is the newfangled name given to a new standard of Blu-ray playback which allows for a range of new features. These include picture-in-picture playback (so you could have a director talking in one window with the film running in another), support for downloadable content and much more.

Sony's latest (and more expensive) Blu-ray players already support Profile 1.1 features, and according to a Sony rep, speaking at recent press conference, the PS3 is likely to receive a firmware update that will add Profile 1.1 support later this month, reports The Digital Bits.

So there's STILL no reason to buy a dedicated Blu-ray player over PS3.

Source

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 07:44 PM »
'Profile 1.1' update to bring flashy new features to PS3 Blu-ray player :D

PS3 Blu-ray upgrade expected this month.

Sony expects to have an update for PS3 later this month that will add support for the next generation of Blu-ray playback features.

'Profile 1.1' is the newfangled name given to a new standard of Blu-ray playback which allows for a range of new features. These include picture-in-picture playback (so you could have a director talking in one window with the film running in another), support for downloadable content and much more.

Sony's latest (and more expensive) Blu-ray players already support Profile 1.1 features, and according to a Sony rep, speaking at recent press conference, the PS3 is likely to receive a firmware update that will add Profile 1.1 support later this month, reports The Digital Bits.

So there's STILL no reason to buy a dedicated Blu-ray player over PS3.

Source

Finally..one step closer...now the only feature that everyone has been madly talking about...give us DTS-HD MA!!! ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 08:29 PM »
would be terribly glad if it will be able to output the new sound formats in bitstream....  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 at 08:35 PM by Munskie »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 10:28 PM »

small comment

a 40 gb is only 19+k now.. we can count it as 20k for Hk/asian version
that means a 14.5k outlay isntead 19k for the 40 gb of course :)

another thing that comes to mind... purchashing the unit from big retailers ex. western abenson etc. granted they cost more..

but only about 3-5k more.. but they have 1 year full warranty... and if you expect lens to break in a few months... thats sounds like a wiser investment :)

@allenwfc

Your opinion is well noted sir.  To each his own I suppose.  For me, an outlay is an outlay.  If I'm not liquid or I don't have the surplus funds to buy a totally new player, then the 5k repair is deemed to be the most logical choice. Also, if my objective for the year is to go neutral and land a Tosh HD-DVD player, then clearly, I would have other priorities than keeping my PS3 always looking 'new.'  ;)  Still, I appreciate your angle on this - thanks bud.  ;)

@pichin,
Thanks for that newsbit. I'm really looking forward to this Profile 1.1 Paul. Wow, this will surely be a 'wonderful' Xmas if this pushes through.  ;D

@Munskie,
Fully agree sir.  That audio 'upgrade' is at the top of the wish list...  :)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 11:14 PM »
Finally..one step closer...now the only feature that everyone has been madly talking about...give us DTS-HD MA!!! ;D

I hope puwedeng internal processing para daanin lang sa Multi-PCM. Kailangan upgrade na naman ng AV Reciever kung hindi:'( :'( :'(

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 11:30 PM »
It's possible daw for the PS3 to decode it internally tru FW upgrade....all fingers & toes are crossed! ;)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 09:34 AM »
DTS and PS3 are working to add internal decoding of DTS-MA.  They plan to issue firmware update before christmas.....nice!!  ;D ;D

New Samsung Blu-ray Player Unlocks DTS-HD Master Audio

One of the most highly anticipated holy grails of high-resolution audio has arrived, with high-end home theater enthusiasts getting their first listen to full lossless DTS-HD Master Audio.

Although a good number of discs (including all of Fox's Blu-ray releases) have included DTS-HD MA tracks, until now existing hardware has only provided the ability to decode the standard 1.5 Mbps DTS core.

Now, thanks to a firmware upgrade released last week for Samsung's new BD-P1400 Blu-ray player, for the very first time consumers with compatible receivers are finally hearing DTS-HD MA in all its glory.

Note that unlike most TrueHD compatible next-gen players, the BDP-1400 doesn't decode the MA tracks internally, but rather it outputs them via HDMI 1.3 as a raw bitstream for decoding by a compatible receiver, such as Onkyo's TX-SR875 or TX-SR905. Several other Blu-ray players are due to include bitstream output in the coming months as well, including Pioneer’s BDP-95HD, Sony’s BDP-S500 and Samsung’s BD-P2400.

Initial reports are quite positive, with users reporting audio quality that matches or exceeds that of Dolby TrueHD.

Although the current cost of a high-end receiver capable of decoding the tracks via bitstream is likely to keep DTS-HD Master Audio out of the hands of all but the most dedicated home theater enthusiasts, word on the street is that DTS is working with Sony to add internal DTS-MA decoding to the PS3 before Christmas. In addition, for those who do not require more powerful wattage per channel, the 90 watt per channel Onkyo TX-SR605 is available for as low as $399 from some online retailers and also has DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD decoding.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM »
@allenwfc

Your opinion is well noted sir.  To each his own I suppose.  For me, an outlay is an outlay.  If I'm not liquid or I don't have the surplus funds to buy a totally new player, then the 5k repair is deemed to be the most logical choice. Also, if my objective for the year is to go neutral and land a Tosh HD-DVD player, then clearly, I would have other priorities than keeping my PS3 always looking 'new.'  ;)  Still, I appreciate your angle on this - thanks bud.  ;)

@pichin,
Thanks for that newsbit. I'm really looking forward to this Profile 1.1 Paul. Wow, this will surely be a 'wonderful' Xmas if this pushes through.  ;D

@Munskie,
Fully agree sir.  That audio 'upgrade' is at the top of the wish list...  :)

ohh sorry, should have clarified my point... i was more on the fact that charging 5- 5.5k repairs for the lens is a bit too high
and if the ps3 prices take 1 more price drop.. it would be more practical to just buy a new unit

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:51 AM »
DTS and PS3 are working to add internal decoding of DTS-MA.  They plan to issue firmware update before christmas.....nice!!  ;D ;D

Finally...the search for the Holy Grail is  near na! ;D

Offline rexdc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 03:22 PM »

+1  :D

Offline rexdc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 03:28 PM »
I hope puwedeng internal processing para daanin lang sa Multi-PCM. Kailangan upgrade na naman ng AV Reciever kung hindi:'( :'( :'(

yeah hope so too, as of now lpcm, dolby truehd can be processed internally and outputed via mutli-channel pcm..

Offline jonick

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 05:23 PM »
in the settings of ps3 whats the difference between bitstream and pcm? which one should i choose best?

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:30 PM »
ohh sorry, should have clarified my point... i was more on the fact that charging 5- 5.5k repairs for the lens is a bit too high
and if the ps3 prices take 1 more price drop.. it would be more practical to just buy a new unit

Sure,  I concur  ;)  If the PS3 consoles takes another price drop then that would be a compelling offer to just re-purchase.  Like you said, currently, the repair is already a quarter of a new PS3 - if that comes anywhere near the vicinity of the 50% mark then it's gung-ho new PS!  :D

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:34 PM »
Finally...the search for the Holy Grail is  near na! ;D

Amen to that bro!!! Question, once we upload this new firmware this Dec (fingers crossed  ;) ), it's good to go right?  No need for any additional set-ups, tweaks or cables right? TIA

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 01:19 AM »
Yup good to go provided you have a HDMI receiver that can handle PCM via HDMI cable. :)
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2007 at 01:20 AM by pchin »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 09:11 AM »
in the settings of ps3 whats the difference between bitstream and pcm? which one should i choose best?

Basically,

Bitstream - Will send the raw digital audio without processing out of the player so your receiver can process.

PCM - The player will convert everything to and output as 5.1 channel PCM.

So if you want your receiver to process DD+, TrueHD and DTS-MA multichannel tracks then you must set the player to Bitstream.

Unfortunately, the PS3 cannot do this right now. Only the Panasonic DMP-BD30, Samsung BD-P1400 and Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD  can do this. PS3 can only get the core of these codecs and process as Dolby Digital and DTS. But the 5.1 PCM audio codec used in many Bluray releases proved to be excellent.

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007 at 07:49 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline jonick

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:24 AM »
ah ok tnx. how about the resolution of the ps3 is it better to set it at 1080P or 720P for blu ray movies? my tv is a panasonic 42" pv70. it does play on 1080P but i think its not full hd. which would be best?

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 07:36 PM »
ah ok tnx. how about the resolution of the ps3 is it better to set it at 1080P or 720P for blu ray movies? my tv is a panasonic 42" pv70. it does play on 1080P but i think its not full hd. which would be best?

I think your plasma will downscale to 720P if you set it from 1080P since it's only 1024 x 768 resolution.

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #538 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 07:40 PM »
I think your plasma will downscale to 720P if you set it from 1080P since it's only 1024 x 768 resolution.

@Mouldingo
Is it better to let the TV downscale to 720P or just set the PS3 player to 720p to begin with?

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #539 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 07:58 PM »
Basically,

Bitstream - Will send the raw digital audio without processing out of the player so your receiver can process.

PCM - The player will convert everything to and output as 5.1 channel PCM.

So if you want your receiver to process DD+, TrueHD and DTS-MA multichannel tracks then you must set the player to Bitstream.

Unfortunately, the PS3 cannot do this right now. Only the Panasonic DMP-BD30 can do this. PS3 can only get the core of these codecs and process as Dolby Digital and DTS. But the 5.1 PCM audio codec used in many Bluray releases proved to be excellent.

the ps3 can decode DD truhd and output it as pcm