Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369339 times)

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #570 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 12:18 AM »
2.01 is differnt from 2.10 which is the new firmware. It supports divx movies now and is bd 1.1 already.

My mistake pala... :P :P :P Di pala na updated ng Sony PS 3 website yet. They added this awesome Earth Visualiser when you play your CDs or MP3s on the machine. The Earth actually rotates as it floats aroung the screen...

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #571 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 08:16 AM »
2.01 is differnt from 2.10 which is the new firmware. It supports divx movies now and is bd 1.1 already.

So it's here na...will do the upgrade later. Anyone else tested the divx movies? :)
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2007 at 08:25 AM by pchin »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #572 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 08:39 AM »
So it's here na...will do the upgrade later. Anyone else tested the divx movies? :)

Tested some avi files and they worked. Pero may hit and miss sa mga mpeg files...

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #573 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 09:22 AM »
BD-Java enhanced Blu-ray discs now playing smoothly :)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #574 on: Dec 20, 2007 at 01:08 AM »
BD-Java enhanced Blu-ray discs now playing smoothly :)

Hi aeris30, thanks for the heads-up.  Can you list down some titles which are 'java-enahnced' like you mentioned, keen to try it out as well.   I just uploaded 2.10 and one thing I noticed is the blue tracking bar that shows-up at the bottom of the screen when you rew or ff (similar to Ipod's tracking bar, when you ff or rew a clip using the click wheel.  Didn't get the chance to upload firmware 2.01 so am not sure if that was already featured there. Anyway, it's a welcome addition - the info shows the total disc time value as well, pretty nifty tool  ;)

Would appreciate it as well if the others can also quickly chime-in on any results of their testings on 2.10. Many thanks!  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #575 on: Dec 20, 2007 at 06:58 AM »
Tested WMV & DivX. All working fine! Even my cellphone video clips working fine now.  ;)

Here are some interesting links:

Movie Trailers DivX (included Rambo & 10,000 BC in 720p)
http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/index.php

WMV HD Content Showcase (some how there's no audio?) ???
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

Pls do post any other DivX or WMV links here so we can check it out. :)

The audio type 3 visualizer while playing audio is cool as mentioned by Mouldingo. :)
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2007 at 07:18 AM by pchin »

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #576 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 08:12 AM »

Internet radio on the Sony PSP with Firmware 3.8. This will be a cool feature if Sony can add this to the PS3 on future updates.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #577 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 10:44 AM »
yeah that's a cool feature. Didn't know this exist in the PSP :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #578 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 02:03 PM »
Those downloaded Apple Quicktime HD movie trailers can be converted to MPG4 format & playback in our PS3. It can also convert many other video file formats. :)

Just follow the below instruction got from AVS forum (thanks to keije)

http://yamb.unite-video.com/download.html

Then install Yamb (get the second file in there, the one with installer, it comes with everything you need), it's roughly 5mb and is entirely self contained, so it won't affect anything else media related that you have installed. All it is is a gui wrapper for a command line utility called mp4box.

Start Yamb -> Select Creation (on left bar) -> double click "Click to create MP4 file..." -> click Add button to add the trailer you've downloaded then click Browse to select the output destination. Also once you Added the trailer it will show you the streams it contains, you can de-select Video stream, just in case PS3 doesn't want to play Quicktime's brand of h264 (though try not to remove the video first, the trailer is really nice). This is also a nice and quick way of identifying what's inside mp4 and mov files (just for the future, if you don't uninstall Yamb the moment you finish this).

Enjoy :)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #579 on: Dec 25, 2007 at 01:07 PM »
Hey thanks for that Paul!  This Yamb is something new for me, appreciate it.  ;)
Merry Christmas as well bud!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #580 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 11:44 AM »
Those downloaded Apple Quicktime HD movie trailers can be converted to MPG4 format & playback in our PS3. It can also convert many other video file formats. :)

Wow....after downloaded the Yamb software & tried out a couple of Apple HD trailers, now I'm really hooked! :D

Not only we can now enjoy & watch all the new HD movie trailers but also the audio are in 5.1 surround! :o
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007 at 12:13 PM by pchin »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #581 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 11:55 AM »
Wow....after downloaded the Yamb software & tried out a couple of Apple HD trailers, now I'm really hooked! :D

Not only we can now enjoy & be the first to watch all the HD movie trailers but also the audio are in 5.1 surround! :o

bro quick question, was there any loss when you converted from full HD to mp4? TIA  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #582 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 12:15 PM »
bro quick question, was there any loss when you converted from full HD to mp4? TIA  :)

Jas, what kind of loss are you referring to?

Do you mean the video resolution or audio quality? :)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #583 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 01:19 PM »
Jas, what kind of loss are you referring to?

Do you mean the video resolution or audio quality? :)

Both - A/V. Or would it not be noticeable if ever?  TIA Paul  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007 at 01:20 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline ichibahn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #584 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:11 PM »
guys question lang... nagplay ako ng bluray movie sa ps3 ko pero hindi 5.1 and nadedetect ng receiver ko 2.1 lang. connection ko is optical from ps3 to receiver. pag bluray game nadedetect naman nya 5.1 and normal dvd. san kaya problem? tried 2 bluray movie discs already but still i got the same result.

this is my sole purpose pa naman why i bought the ps3 :(:(

this what is see on the screen.. 5.1 naman sya.

eto naman sa recevier ko 2.1 lang

thanks

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #585 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:22 PM »

So far I downloaded & tried the 720p. So far PQ is ok naman. Will do some more testing later. :)

... nagplay ako ng bluray movie sa ps3 ko pero hindi 5.1 and nadedetect ng receiver ko 2.1 lang. connection ko is optical from ps3 to receiver. pag bluray game nadedetect naman nya 5.1 and normal dvd.

That's strange. How about your PS3 audio setting?

Offline ichibahn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #586 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:27 PM »
So far I downloaded & tried the 720p. So far PQ is ok naman. Will do some more testing later. :)

That's strange. How about your PS3 audio setting?

i think my settings are ok sa ps3 audio setting

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #587 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:34 PM »
Go to BD/DVD settings menu & change BD audio optical settings to bitstream. Or while watching BD press triangle on the controller...then go to audio settings & change to bitstream.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #588 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:35 PM »
Ah I see...bro, the LPCM audio is down-converted to 2-channel only. Only HDMI cable has the bandwidth to transmit the LPCM 5.1.

For optical cable, you will have to select either Dolby Digital or DTS audio or a HD track that has a core of  DD/DTS 5.1 surround.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:43 PM by pchin »

Offline ichibahn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #589 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:45 PM »
Go to BD/DVD settings menu & change BD audio optical settings to bitstream. Or while watching BD press triangle on the controller...then go to audio settings & change to bitstream.

@aeris30.. thanks man! it's now OK! i thought pag bitstream some of the audio in the BD will not be played. yun kase sinasabi when i choose this. i just ignored it and change the audio setup sa bd movie :):)

@pchin.. thanks also for the help! :):)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #590 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:46 PM »
Ah I see...bro, the LPCM audio is down-converted to 2-channel only. Only HDMI cable has the bandwidth to transmit the LPCM 5.1.

For optical cable, you will have to select either Dolby Digital or DTS audio or a HD track that has a core of  DD/DTS 5.1 surround.
try to toggle to dolby pro-logic IIx (or PL I or PL II) on your receiver to be able to enjoy 5.1 or 7.1 sound if you choose pcm on the BD audio settings.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:47 PM by Munskie »

Offline ichibahn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #591 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 06:58 PM »
last question.. what is your ps3 orientation? vertical or horizontal? i've read some issues on vertical is that the ps3 runs hotter and the lens works 2x than the horizontal. so the recommended stance is horizontal daw which is can't due to my shelf design the wall will be blocking my ps3 exhaust kase. if vertial is really bad, i have to find some ways to do horizontal.

thanks!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #592 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 07:01 PM »
last question.. what is your ps3 orientation? vertical or horizontal? i've read some issues on vertical is that the ps3 runs hotter and the lens works 2x than the horizontal. so the recommended stance is horizontal daw which is can't due to my shelf design the wall will be blocking my ps3 exhaust kase. if vertial is really bad, i have to find some ways to do horizontal.

You have answered your own ques bro  ;D

"i've read some issues on vertical is that the ps3 runs hotter and the lens works 2x than the horizontal. so the recommended stance is horizontal. if vertial is really bad, i have to find some ways to do horizontal." 

But I suppose if your room is cooling enough or a fan nearby to prevent the heat build up, I guess vertical stand is fine. Anyone that used the vertical position experienced any negative effect? :)
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007 at 07:03 PM by pchin »

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #593 on: Dec 29, 2007 at 10:51 AM »

i keep my PS3 horizontal. i used to have my PS2 vertical and the first thing to konk out of that one was this plastic piece vital for the lens to read discs. so after that experience, i'm not taking chances with my PS3. although it really might have been the 3-4 years of non-stop playing that killed it.

it's really tempting for me to have it standing up though. the air vents are on the right side of the console. so if you have anything beside it (my Nintendo Wii, in my case), the hot air will pretty much "cook" it.  :P keeping it vertical helps dissipate the hot air faster too.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2007 at 10:55 AM by animated »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #594 on: Dec 29, 2007 at 12:47 PM »
I personally prefer it vertical, aside from the aesthetic factor, it seems like the heat is dissipating faster from the vents from the top.  ;)
Well imho, Sony PS wouldn't recommend such an orientation if it has adverse factors I reckon - they even made the PS logo moveable (i.e. can be rotated) to adopt to your preferred orientation.

Anyway here are some cool thermal images of the PS3 in both orientations scooped up from a Polish website I gather.  Well, these pictures have been posted on other PS threads and the bottomline is nothing was conclusive - too many uncontrolled factors.  The two camps have been arguing furiously on what's the best position, but I haven't really come across any substantial tests - all hypothesis-work going around.  Again imho... to each his own - whatever floats your boat;)

Here are the pics from the US PS forums - just for fun guys:

< SOURCE >

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #595 on: Dec 29, 2007 at 08:37 PM »
Great Post Bro! Very informative! ;)
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #596 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 08:52 PM »
pls help... is ps3 a full function as a decicated blu-ray?? how about audio and video quality? TIA, and the best place or country to buy ? Hongkong , USA, or Phils.  TIA again
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #597 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 10:26 PM »
pls help... is ps3 a full function as a decicated blu-ray?? how about audio and video quality? TIA, and the best place or country to buy ? Hongkong , USA, or Phils.  TIA again

PS3 is also a Final BD Profile 1.1 Blu Ray Player. It is not, however, able to decode or bitstream the DTS HD codec. The DTS HD codec is most common on movies released by Fox. Where you buy it depends entirely on your existing DVD collection. If your collection are region 1, best place is the US. I don't know if the local Region 3 DVD will play on PS 3 from Hong Kong...

Offline ichibahn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #598 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 12:57 AM »
regarding what animated pointed out, i'm also concerned about the parts that makes the lens read if the orientation is horizontal. dito ako medyo kinakabahan hindi sa heat factor. pero katulad nga ng sinabi naman ni Marl_1, hindi naman gagawin ng sony to have both options if there will be adverse effects on the machine. hmm.. wala lang everytime kase na i hear a sound (i can't explain, it's like a cdrom that reads in a normal pc) on the drive when reading the disc medyo napaparaning ako.. do you hear this also in horizontal? i don't hear this kase in normal dvd players e..

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #599 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 08:52 AM »

I downloaded a couple more Apple HD trailers 720p & convented them into MPG4 by using the Yamb software.

From what I can see, the HD quality depends on the individual trailer. Some of the PQ are really good while others are not some (grainy or not so sharp). However, tho they are in 720p but the actual pixels are usually btw 1280 x 566 to 1280 x 680. Another point to point out: Not all the audios are in 5.1 surround.

I love the movies & looking forward to: :D

Jumper
Hancock 
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2007 at 08:52 AM by pchin »