Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369309 times)

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #900 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 12:13 PM »
Has anyone else here facing the same problem with his "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" on the PS3?

hi bro. what problem is this? no problem with mine naman

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #901 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 12:37 PM »
Good to hear that cos I will order COD4. Tnx :)

As per athos45's link, some members reported their PS3 wouldn't recognize the COD4 disc. So far my PS3 can read both games & Blu-ray w/out any incident.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #902 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 12:43 PM »
Good to hear that cos I will order COD4. Tnx :)

As per athos45's link, some members reported their PS3 wouldn't recognize the COD4 disc. So far my PS3 can read both games & Blu-ray w/out any incident.

hmm mine has no prob naman bro. been playing online as well ever since i got it. better get the R1 version narin para no issues going online compatibilities n playing with the other pinoy players hehe

chek mo rin sa pinoypsx bro meron din nagbebenta ng mga used games dun.

pag nakabili ka na add mo ID ko para sama ka sa gyera namin hehe

Offline Big Mac

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Village Idiot
  • Liked:
« Reply #903 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 03:58 PM »
Was in Singapore over the weekend. Went all over town this is what I found out Pricewise

1. Official dealers Sonystyle in Wisma/Takashiyama have it for $559 (P16200) for the basic 40G package with one controller pero heres the catch:  you are required to purchase 2 games.  Same with an official sony dealer in Sim Lim.

2. Grey market dealers are more attractive and all are offering official sony singapore warranty DAW.  Prices range from $399 console price (wow P11500 pesoses lang) from a yellow haired guy in a shop in SimLim, with a very stupid sales technique- more later). $520 sa Lucky Plaza (you guessed it kababayan ang salesman who didnt know jack crap about warranty coverage.  Good deals in Gamers Depot Sim Lim $620 with free Uncharted or COD4 (less than P18k meron pang naka frame na sony singapore official dealer and another one in Funan IT Mall for $540 no game again official sony waranty.

3. Went to the Singapore IT Fair (largest electronics expo in asia daw)  in Suntec City and theres one whole floor there devoted to PS3 in 65 inch HDTVs ( bravias syempre) at tulo laway mo doon.  You guessed it models in pigtails and schoolgirl attires are doing there pitch.  It was an official sony showcase and it was still $540 but again 2 game purchase required.  But games at a huge discount mga S$50 to 75 lang . Problem is there was a long line of about 50 people  buying- white units nalang natira.

4. Also checked prices in Low Yat Plaza in Kuala Lumpur priced around RM 1350 to RM 1600  (starts at P16K) but again there is OFFICIAL Sony Malaysia warranty. 

Across the board, mas mura sa other countries (HKG my brother bought one about P13 pesos making it the champion) and poor Pinas as usual,  There is no Sony warranty available locally meaning If you bring your units /accesories to any local service center, dont bother, those are not covered.

5. In the local scene the best available deal as far as I know is EYO in VMall, P18k for the basic 40GB unit and 3 month replacement warranty plus Lifetime Service warranty.  Eric Ong seems to be a nice enough chap who knows what he is doing.  Saw about 2 ps3 consoles being serviced for lens problems.  And about 30 dead Xbox 360s  ;D

OT:  idiotng  dealer sa Sim Lim Singapore

Salesman: "whatchu loking foh lah?"
Me: "Nothing really just looking around.  You have a PS3?"

Salesman: "Yes have have. Tree Nigh Nigh only"
Me: (moving away but still incredulous so I went back in) "How much again for ps3 40GB? Not PS2"

S: at nagalit pa ("you dont believe lah now you came back. better get pencil and write it down: TREE NIGH NIGH ONLEH!"
M:Holding my breath and still floored by the price na i had to make an actual calculator conversion damn P11500 lang. Brand new daw. 40GB.With warranty official.  But had to ask "Very good deal, best deal I found so far. I want to buy it.

S:  (starting the spiel eto na) "I tell you, thats not modified lah. Cant play BluRay, only Games But old games.  You have to add 200 for modify to play BluRay and New HD games....:
M: "No I dont need bluray. I dont watch movies.  I dont mind playing old games. (I was physically inspecting the unit at this point-looks brand new, saw the controller in the box) Ok Ill buy this for 399"

S:"Not good not modified cannot enjoy"
M: "Its ok, ill take this one now" (whipping up my wallet)

S: (kinabahan na siguro)"That price no controller, add 100 for dual shock controller"
M: tarantadong ito ah, knowing that a DS3 controller is only $73  so I go " No need for controller, no need for blue ray, I want this unit. And i want it now.  This will look good in my living room cofeetable, good to look at even if only decoration"

S: looking really desperate as there was already a small crowd who witnessed our negotiations "no you dont believe, PS3 very good for bluRay and for games, just add a little more, I give you discount big discount on modification and controller lah"
M:  Yari to sa akin sinungaling ang lintik na ito.  Ill buy this and sell it in manila via ebay and make a killing. "look i dont need a bluray player, i dont need a controller.  I just need a ps3 console and (holding the unit up) I want to buy this one now for 399 no more asking for last price"

Na corner na, he calls his boss, who almost yells at him in chinese and they are clearly arguing.  The crowd was also anticipating the outcome. All this time  I did not budge an inch and looked at him straight in the eye.

Finally,

S: " Sorry lah, no more stock"
M: "What do you call this unit? I want to buy this now for 399!"

S: "no lah no more stock, that is reserved unit already have buyer, last unit"
M:  I refused to budge.  He goes back to his boss who everyone can see is almost biting his head off

S: "Im so sorry lah, thats a defective unit."

there was a collective "Awwww cmon!" from the crowd of white backpackers.  CRAP. 

So i looked just told the salesman point black:  Youre a dick.  Magpakita ka sa akin sa labas kakatayin kitang hayop ka. And I almost scream to his boss, Neknek Mo (kampante na marami na kami at this time, pero it took a lot not burst into laughter)

kaya be careful. This also happend to me in HongKong while buying for camera equipment.

dito ako ngayon sa Singapore. Bumila na ako ng PS3 sa wakas kasi mura pala dito. The price of PS3 40gb white ceramic version is only SGD 544 (PHP 15.3k) credit card pa ang gamit ko. Kung cash less 3% pa. Medyo panic buying na dito sa Singapore kasi kahapon na nagcanvass ako may mga units pa pero kanina last unit na.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #904 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 04:10 PM »
^ tnx for sharing your experience bro! haha loko nga mga yun ha! sarap pag untugin! haha

about the unit from EYO, make sure its NTSC. coz for that price range i think thats their PAL eh

Offline Kratos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #905 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 08:44 PM »
Lolz! Mino-mod na pala ngayon yung PS3, chaka ano yun parang naka lock sya na display lang pag di na-mod. Lolz! Cheapshot crape!

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #906 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 10:17 PM »
lols thanks for sharing, its a funny read

Offline killer_smile3

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • PS3 & Xbox360 Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #907 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 11:37 PM »
Hi BigMac,

You are definitely correct! I've been there last week and I also experienced the same Bogus.
The first store that I went to is near the entrance of Sim Lim Square and the transaction did not pursue same as with you kasi gusto ko unit lang. Di nga lang masyadong dramatic yung eksena ko kasi weekday nun wala masyadong tao. Dahil smart tayong mga pinoy siyempre di tayo paiisa.

But if you will look further and go to the fourth and fifth floor. There are game shops there (three shops) that really offers cheap PS3. I did bought a PS3 unit there at 15.3kPHP using credit card.

Now, I'm here in Pinas and so far a satisfied owner of a white ceramic PS3.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM by killer_smile3 »

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #908 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 07:33 AM »
I've noticed if there's need for firmware upgrade of your PS3 especially when playing new games. The Software upgrade is included on the game package (I mean on the Blu-ray disk). Upon your first playing the games it will ask you to upgrade your system.

My question, wala ba risk and online gaming sa PS3 di ba siya napapasukan ng Virus?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #909 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:35 AM »
@Big Mac

ang lupit mo sir! ang galing nung choice of arguments mo... bilib ako! marami ngang ganyan sa sim lim... kaya hindi ako pumupunta sa 1st to 3rd floor para sa gadgets except for Alpha Audio (1st floor) and UF Tech (3rd floor - for wires naman) na kilala ko na ung mga sellers... in general, dapat on guard ka lagi sa sim lim...

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #910 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 12:06 PM »
I've noticed if there's need for firmware upgrade of your PS3 especially when playing new games. The Software upgrade is included on the game package (I mean on the Blu-ray disk). Upon your first playing the games it will ask you to upgrade your system.

My question, wala ba risk and online gaming sa PS3 di ba siya napapasukan ng Virus?

hi bro! there are games that requires you to update the version of the game itself and not the PS3 firmware when it sees that youre connected online. there are also some the will ask you to update firmware if your PS3 is not updated especially when online. with the firmware updates better check what region your unit n game is. since for R3 games it updates via the asian sites

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #911 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 12:58 PM »
hi bro! there are games that requires you to update the version of the game itself and not the PS3 firmware when it sees that youre connected online. there are also some the will ask you to update firmware if your PS3 is not updated especially when online. with the firmware updates better check what region your unit n game is. since for R3 games it updates via the asian sites
You are right. However, the game I played update probably the software since I am not connected to the net at that time. Particularly the game is "Time Crisis 4" this requires the Gun controller and the 2pcs infrared sensors installed on the upper left & right corner of your monitor.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #912 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 01:38 PM »
^yup bro maybe its with the game itself

Offline bertology™

• Apprentice
  • Zzz
  • Liked:
« Reply #913 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 01:46 PM »
Just don't buy stuff in SIM LIM and un-LUCKY PLAZA...

lahat dyan bogus pati mga pinoy, nahawa na sa mga mandurugas na tsekwa. better buy your stuff at FUNAN.

:) im going back to manila this month end, bought a 40GB @ 550SGD.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #914 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:53 PM »

lahat dyan bogus pati mga pinoy, nahawa na sa mga mandurugas na tsekwa. better buy your stuff at FUNAN.

Strongly agree.  Grabe daming mandurugas sa Sim Lim.  Funan is all legit.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #915 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 12:58 PM »
^yup bro maybe its with the game itself
ah OK. Thanks for the info bro.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline mher70

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #916 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 01:15 AM »

mga sir sa hongkong saan maganda bumili ng electronics at arirsoft gears? tip naman po specific place tia ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #917 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:51 AM »
I would have extended the negotiations by agreeing to buy the allegedly "defective" PS3 for 399.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline athos45

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #918 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 07:12 PM »
mga sir sa hongkong saan maganda bumili ng electronics at arirsoft gears? tip naman po specific place tia ;)
Mongkok, right beside Mongkok Police station, I cant really say how to get there basta its near the pet shops, rcs, airsoft etc. Just get by the Police station and search from there

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #919 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 05:09 AM »
Hi BigMac,

You are definitely correct! I've been there last week and I also experienced the same Bogus.
The first store that I went to is near the entrance of Sim Lim Square and the transaction did not pursue same as with you kasi gusto ko unit lang. Di nga lang masyadong dramatic yung eksena ko kasi weekday nun wala masyadong tao. Dahil smart tayong mga pinoy siyempre di tayo paiisa.

But if you will look further and go to the fourth and fifth floor. There are game shops there (three shops) that really offers cheap PS3. I did bought a PS3 unit there at 15.3kPHP using credit card.

Now, I'm here in Pinas and so far a satisfied owner of a white ceramic PS3.

talagang ganito ang palakaran ng mga electronics retailers sa s'pore at alam naman daw ng gobyerno to sabi ng mga kaibigan kong sing.

i had a friend who was bargaining for a digital cam. the seller played on him when he asked for more discounts. he (my friend) paid the guy the agreed price. but the stupid seller gave him the cam and the box only (nothing else even the charger and accessories). now the seller asked him for more to get the rest of the pack saying they were an add-ons. the seller also refuses to give back my friend's money. they negotiated again until my friend paid up more to close the deal. then later that day we found out that the cam was sold cheaper in Mustafa ('lil india) than what he paid earlier in lucky plaza.

from that time on we always go to mustafa to check prices or even buy there. you can go to lucky plaza, chinatown or sim lim if you are confident with your bargaining skills. but always beware, "DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY BEFORE Y'ALL AGREED ON WHAT COMES WITH THE PACKAGE".

lessons learned: better buy in other shops with legit price if you do not want to have headaches and hear insults ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2008 at 08:09 AM by GneW »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #920 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 12:01 AM »
Currently downloading firmware 2.17 . . . whew! ang tagal 45mins. na 40% pa lang sa 1Mbps >:(

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #921 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 05:53 AM »
Currently downloading firmware 2.17 . . . whew! ang tagal 45mins. na 40% pa lang sa 1Mbps >:(

ba't ang tagal? heheheh. mukhang humina ang DSL cguro. downloaded my update in 20 mins last nyt.  ;D
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #922 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 01:06 PM »
hehe baka nga ;D . . . eksakto 1hr. DL ko 119mb pala filesize.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #923 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 02:52 PM »
Laking file nyan ah.  What improvements does this firmaware update bring?
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #924 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 03:27 PM »
Not much . . .

"In case you were wondering what it’s all about, the operating stability of some online PS3 titles has been improved." -http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/12/firmware-update-v217/

. . . but I installed it anyway. I noticed a snappier internet browsing esp. n PSN store.

Offline Ramboy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #925 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 02:17 PM »

:) im going back to manila this month end, bought a 40GB @ 550SGD.

ang mura na pala. I got my 40gb last November for 650SGD. I got mine in Mustafa (checked the official Sony Stores and better deal sa mustafa)

Offline ntlopez

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #926 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 07:54 PM »
Hello,

I have a stupid question..

I purchased an optical audio cable for PS3 from Amazon, here's the link...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VTT3IK

My intent is to connect my ps3 to my home theater and enjoy the 5.1 surround sound when playing blu-rays. The problem is that, I can't seem to fit the end of the optical cable to the PS3 outlet, same as with my home theater. I'm afraid to force it din baka kasi masira ko. I think tama naman yung orientation ng cable ko for the connection. However, I can still easily pull it out from the PS3. Am I missing something?  :(

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #928 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
Hello,

I have a stupid question..

I purchased an optical audio cable for PS3 from Amazon, here's the link...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VTT3IK

My intent is to connect my ps3 to my home theater and enjoy the 5.1 surround sound when playing blu-rays. The problem is that, I can't seem to fit the end of the optical cable to the PS3 outlet, same as with my home theater. I'm afraid to force it din baka kasi masira ko. I think tama naman yung orientation ng cable ko for the connection. However, I can still easily pull it out from the PS3. Am I missing something?  :(

If the ends of the optical cable you purchased looks like the pix above, dapat walang problem bro.

Are you saying na kahit naka-kabit na optical cable (PS3 ---> AVR) walang sound na lumalabas?

Why not try the cable first with your DVD player and your AVR para malaman kung ok yung cable. Kung ala pa rin, maybe there's something wrong with the cable you purchased --- and hopefully, its just the cable and not the opti input of ur PS3.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2008 at 08:06 AM by JAQY888 »
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline ntlopez

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #929 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 08:39 AM »
It's actually more like this one...

You know what? Based on the images you provided, I think I just have to remove the transparent cover at the end of the cable.  :D
I think that will solve my problem! LOL!  :D :D :D