Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369327 times)

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #1080 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 01:06 PM »
^john tnx for the info. so either bitstream or lpcm, the audio output displayed on the tv (pressing Select) should accordingly be DD-HD or DTS-HD for example n not multich audio?

Offline IceTea

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1081 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 01:32 PM »
Let's be patient & wait for the next PS3 FW & hopefully these concerns will be ironed out by then...meanwhile enjoying DTS MA in 5.1 & 6.1 is still a great experience! :D

It's now clear to me.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1082 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 06:16 PM »
does ps3 asian sites like taiwan and hong kong offer the same downloads? I created 2 accounts on my ps3 1 for USA and the other HONG KONG. I never tried the taiwan site or ant other sites. Any differences?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1083 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 11:18 PM »
does ps3 asian sites like taiwan and hong kong offer the same downloads?

I tried a few different Asian sites & all appear to be the same FW download.

I tried both Crank & WAR which are LPCM 7.1 where other members have confirmed but unfortunately my receiver only showing 6.1 tho the PS3 does indicate 7.1. Hope you can try your other 7.1 movies too & would appreciate to hear any feed back. Tnx :)

Not only DTS MA 7.1 but also LPCM 7.1, the PS3 seems unable to output the two surround back channels correctly. Let's see their next FW upgrade.  ;)

**Crank & WAR LPCM 7.1 only indicate 6.1 in my AVR.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2008 at 08:59 AM by pchin »

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1084 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 01:49 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Paul, just dloaded the FW myself and will upload it to the PS3 later. 

Hey just saw this in T3, WOW! VERY SEXY...  PSIII SLIM.  It's scheduled to come out by Christmas time daw.  Well keeping my fingers crossed.  ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2008 at 01:50 AM by Marl_1 »

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1085 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 02:55 AM »
errrr April Fool's daw sa T3 lmao

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1086 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM »
outputting on bitstream means that your receiver\processor does the decoding. outputting on lpcm means that the ps3 does the decoding.

bro so if my avr cant decode HD audio pa...so its better if yung internal decoding nalng muna sa avr then output to DD. i tried to set the ps3 to lpcm and it did decode to Dolby true HD pero sympre output ng avr ko is 2ch lang tama ba?

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1087 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM »
^ what connection are you using to the receiver? hdmi or coaxial\optical ? If its the coaxial\optical set it to bitstream so at least you get dolby digital or dts at full bandwidth. If its hdmi, the ps3 does the decoding and will send it as multichannel audio to your receiver.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1088 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM »
^ what connection are you using to the receiver? hdmi or coaxial\optical ? If its the coaxial\optical set it to bitstream so at least you get dolby digital or dts at full bandwidth. If its hdmi, the ps3 does the decoding and will send it as multichannel audio to your receiver.

bro optical to avr lang ako eh. wala pa hdmi yung avr ko. so from the ps3 setting ano mas ok yung output ng audio via optical as bitstream? so pag lpcm i really need to have an avr that decodes HD audio?

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1089 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM »
Set it to bitstream for now, save up for a receiver with hdmi,  particularly the new ones that came out if you want dolby truehd or dts ma :) Thats why its only two channel when you set it to lpcm.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1090 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM »
^hehe yup tnx bro! that will do for now. btw will there PS3 games that will be released in those HD audio formats?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1091 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 04:05 PM »
Just got a PS3 today. I've already set it up on my AVR but here's the problem. No audio comes out of my speakers. I've already activated the optical out of the PS3 but still no dice. My AVR is a Denon 1905, can anyone suggest solutions for this problem?

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1092 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 05:36 PM »
Just got a PS3 today. I've already set it up on my AVR but here's the problem. No audio comes out of my speakers. I've already activated the optical out of the PS3 but still no dice. My AVR is a Denon 1905, can anyone suggest solutions for this problem?

naka set na Audio Settings sa PS3 na Opitcal out at Bitstream?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1093 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 05:41 PM »

Mel, do try the AVR 5.1 or 6.1 "self testing" to ascertain that all your speakers & wiring setup are done properly.
After confirm the bitstream based on darkwing's comment, normally from your remote control, you will need to select the correct "Optical Input" as there maybe more than one Optical Input in your AVR.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2008 at 05:56 PM by pchin »

Offline devin

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1094 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 10:04 AM »
you might want to check the audio out set up in the ps3.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1095 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM »
Mel, do try the AVR 5.1 or 6.1 "self testing" to ascertain that all your speakers & wiring setup are done properly.
After confirm the bitstream based on darkwing's comment, normally from your remote control, you will need to select the correct "Optical Input" as there maybe more than one Optical Input in your AVR.

Finally got the audio to work. I pressed the input and when I put it on Direct, audio came out and the Dolby Digital light indicator turned on. Thing is, I can't press anything else now. It's stuck at Direct. I played Motorstorm but i did not notice any sound coming out of the rear speakers.

Did I do it correctly or do I need to do something else?

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1096 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 06:38 PM »
hmm i'm not too familiar with your AVR basta Bitstream its the AVR that does the decoding, paano i set yan sa AVR mo? diba automatic lang yan? @_@ try daw a DVD that has DD/DTS track, dapat kung mag switch ka mag display rin sa AVR mo na DD or DTS or Pro Logic ^_^

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1097 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 07:18 PM »
Titles are ready. majority are in 720p format pero malinaw na.  suitable player is ps3. files in vob format.  pm me for interested copies.

thanks

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1098 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 11:04 PM »
the vob files that i have are self contained movies that are originally in mkv format.  Now since this thread is all about the PS3, and at the moment mkv files are not supported, i've takened the liberty to demux the mkv to vob, a format that the ps3 understands.  Now, pls don't expect these files to play on your regular DVD players.  I've tested it and even tried to burn it as a DVD ISO image or UDF, ayaw talaga.  Our regular dvds don't have the proper codecs (H.264) to play it.  Pero when you play these files sa PS3 connected to a receiver and a 1080p TV (even 720p), malinaw! Just like watching blu ray and hd dvd.

Also, there's no subtitle.  I demux the files with no subtitle kasi di naman kaya i toggle ng ps3 so dinefault ko na lang sa off ang subtitles.  Pag may mkv support na ang PS3, i'll give you mkv copies na where you can toggle the subtitles.

My player other than the PS3 is the mac mini.  I use OSX Xbox Media Center.  All files, ripped on 720p play on 1080p projectors and plasmas smoothly. Pls pm me with your concerns.  The list naman is growing so i'll update you guys from time to time via pm

thanks

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1099 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 11:36 PM »
the reason why i am not downloading trilogies is not because they are huge or takes up enormous amounts of space.  Its simply because i have the series in original bluray formats.  Since i've received a lot of pms inquiring bourne trilogy, matrix, oceans, pirates, resident, xmen.. give me this whole week and by next week, i'll make it avail for everyone.

i'm now starting the download on the bourne series.

wish me luck :)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1100 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 12:03 AM »
to those who've i sent pms, correction hindi pala DVD R ang media kundi DVD9 or DVD Dual Layer...

thanks

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1101 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 01:37 AM »
does the ps3 have the option of photos slide show w/ music?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1102 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 02:00 AM »

Yep, you can do that ;)

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1103 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 06:46 AM »

Yup, visitors are always impressed by this hehe ^_^, i've turned my PS3 into my pics vault na

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1104 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 07:15 AM »
how do u play slide show w/ music on the ps3 i dont see any options on its menu?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1105 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 08:18 AM »
how do u play slide show w/ music on the ps3 i dont see any options on its menu?

First, go to Music, select the songs/musics you want to play as background (it's best to create a Playlist). Then press the "PS" button in the controller (it's the button btw SELECT & START.)

This will enable you to navigate the PS3 menu. Then go to Photo to select the picture album that you want to view > press "Triangle" to access sub menu > Slideshow (Start) > select the type of slideshow: Normal, Slide, Portrait, Photo Album, Photo Album 2.  ;)

**Anytime while playing music or photo you can always press "PS" to go back & access the PS3 main menu.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2008 at 08:21 AM by pchin »

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1106 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 08:39 AM »
so dat means it does have synchronized options. i mean the music doesnt slow down and softens as the slideshow is about to end. wat u do is just play the 2 applications one by one right?
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2008 at 08:42 AM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1107 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 09:04 AM »
Thing is, I can't press anything else now. It's stuck at Direct. I played Motorstorm but i did not notice any sound coming out of the rear speakers. Did I do it correctly or do I need to do something else?

Glad to hear your audio is working na. I only have the Motorstorm demo version which may be different from the full edition specs. It displays 6.1 in my receiver but I can't hear anything from the surround speakers.

Tho I own a Denon 1604 previously but can't remember the remote control functions. I find them to be quite confusing to use as compared to the newer models. Hope those who have similar model will able to advise.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1108 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 09:07 AM »
so dat means it does have synchronized options. i mean the music doesnt slow down and softens as the slideshow is about to end. wat u do is just play the 2 applications one by one right?

So far so good, no major problem when playing both applications at the same time.
Give it a try & tell us how does it work out in your PS3.  ;)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1109 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 09:17 AM »
PS3 owners interested with the VOB files, pls pm me requests para malaman ko kung anong most demanded movies na idodownload ko.

thanks