Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369390 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #1380 on: Jul 08, 2008 at 09:57 PM »
From the site it says:

The PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) system software version 2.41 is now available for update from July 8, 2008. With this update, we have fixed the problem that has prevented a limited number of PS3™ from activating properly after updating to version 2.40, when a certain system administrative data are contained in the HDD.

For those users who have updated to version 2.40 and have experienced the problem that XMB™(XrossMediaBar) is not appearing, or no images are displaying on the screen, please contact Customer Service.

We have confirmed that for those users who have successfully updated to the version 2.40 and are able to activate the PS3™ system, this problem will not occur on your PS3™. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate for your understandings and continued support.

Looks like my PS3 is in the clear as there's no problems whatsoever after playing it a few times na.

I'm lazy to upgrade another FW again not until something happen (knock knock on the wood). ;D

Offline NeilNo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1381 on: Jul 09, 2008 at 01:44 AM »
From the site it says:

The PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) system software version 2.41 is now available for update from July 8, 2008. With this update, we have fixed the problem that has prevented a limited number of PS3™ from activating properly after updating to version 2.40, when a certain system administrative data are contained in the HDD.

For those users who have updated to version 2.40 and have experienced the problem that XMB™(XrossMediaBar) is not appearing, or no images are displaying on the screen, please contact Customer Service.

We have confirmed that for those users who have successfully updated to the version 2.40 and are able to activate the PS3™ system, this problem will not occur on your PS3™. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate for your understandings and continued support.

Looks like my PS3 is in the clear as there's no problems whatsoever after playing it a few times na.

I'm lazy to upgrade another FW again not until something happen (knock knock on the wood). ;D

Paul, time to upgrade the hardware na - not the firmware!  ;D

Panasonic DMP -BD50 or Sony BDP-S550.  :D
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008 at 01:45 AM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1382 on: Jul 09, 2008 at 08:41 AM »
Paul, time to upgrade the hardware na - not the firmware!  ;D

Panasonic DMP -BD50 or Sony BDP-S550.  :D

Yup Neil, BD standalone player is in my future "buy list". ;) To justify to wifey, I'm just waiting something to happen to my PS3: the infamous lens curse.  :P
Darn, so far it's still going strong with no sign of wear & tear. ;D 
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008 at 08:42 AM by pchin »

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #1383 on: Jul 09, 2008 at 12:18 PM »
Yup Neil, BD standalone player is in my future "buy list". ;) To justify to wifey, I'm just waiting something to happen to my PS3: the infamous lens curse.  :P
Darn, so far it's still going strong with no sign of wear & tear. ;D 

Paul, there's a toggle switch at the back of the PS3. Set it to OFF and tell the wifey that the PS3 won't power ON anymore when you press the switch button in front. Timing mo lang pag my brownout. ;) Ala power surge kuno.

Yup, BD stand alone player is on my list too.. But I'll wait during the holiday season - para mas mababa ang presyo.

UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1384 on: Jul 09, 2008 at 01:12 PM »
Paul, there's a toggle switch at the back of the PS3. Set it to OFF and tell the wifey that the PS3 won't power ON anymore when you press the switch button in front. Timing mo lang pag my brownout. ;) Ala power surge kuno.

Yup, BD stand alone player is on my list too.. But I'll wait during the holiday season - para mas mababa ang presyo.

B.I. hehehe  ;)

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1385 on: Jul 09, 2008 at 01:29 PM »

hehehe. nice one, Bro Neil ...  ;D ;D ;D 
Paul might go ahead and take your advice and order the Panny BD30 or BD50 ... hehehehe.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008 at 01:30 PM by JAQY888 »
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline jiggs84

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1386 on: Jul 10, 2008 at 10:26 AM »
successfully updated to 2.41...

have not played games yet though... BD pa lang...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline den1224

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1387 on: Jul 10, 2008 at 11:21 AM »
updated to 2.41 with no problems. Updated the GT5 prologue too...  :)

Offline poshie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1388 on: Jul 12, 2008 at 12:36 AM »
is it safe to use ps3 as a blu-ray player? im using mine for 4-6hrs straight..

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1389 on: Jul 12, 2008 at 05:50 AM »

Well,  I'm sure most of us are using the PS3 to play and watch bluray movies since stand alone bluray players are still quite expensive and so far so good coz there isnt really any problems doin so. Some may have encounter BDL failure but is still hard to prove that the cause of BDL failure is due to using the PS3 as a bluray player.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1390 on: Jul 13, 2008 at 06:46 AM »

yup, its what i'm doing every weekend lols just make sure meron proper ventilation

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1391 on: Jul 15, 2008 at 09:07 PM »
Logitech introduces PS3 Driving Force wireless steering wheel

Logitech's put out a couple PS3 driving wheels, but the new Driving Force Wireless is the company's first wireless driving controller for Sony's console. The 2.4GHz wheel features a one-piece design with an expandable lap rest so you don't need to clip it onto a table or desk, and there's the usual wheel-mounted d-pad and buttons. Should be out in August.

Offline n3d_d2x

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1392 on: Jul 16, 2008 at 12:46 AM »
Hi guys, tanong lang...

I currently have a Samsung X20 HTIB and I'm planning to buy a PS3. Pwede ko ba ma-connect yung PS3 sa HTIB ko para dun lalabas yung sound since 5.1 yung speakers niya? Problema ko kasi wala yata optical yung HTIB ko :(

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1393 on: Jul 16, 2008 at 08:01 AM »
Hi guys, tanong lang...

I currently have a Samsung X20 HTIB and I'm planning to buy a PS3. Pwede ko ba ma-connect yung PS3 sa HTIB ko para dun lalabas yung sound since 5.1 yung speakers niya? Problema ko kasi wala yata optical yung HTIB ko :(

Yung PS3 audio outputs ay HDMI, Optical at Stereo RCA adapter (kasama sa kahon).  Bumili na lang ng Blu ray player na stand-alone, mas marami audio options...

Offline JoNi

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1394 on: Jul 16, 2008 at 01:22 PM »
Hi guys, tanong lang...

Same set-up tayo sir. Ganito ginawa ko.

PS3 (Video) HDMI to LCD TV
      (Audio) RCA to Audio in of samsung HT-X20
Epson 3020e
Onkyo SR373
Polk Audio Speakers
Panasonic BDT 220
PS3 FAT

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1395 on: Jul 16, 2008 at 07:09 PM »
Sony to offer PlayStation movie downloads

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Sony is raising the curtain on a PlayStation 3 movie download service.

The company announced at the E3 Business and Media Summit it will launch a downloadable movie service Tuesday featuring films from such studios as Disney, Fox and Warner Bros.

The standard and high definition videos can be downloaded to the console and transferred to a PlayStation Portable.

Rentals will cost $2.99 to $5.99. Purchases will cost $9.99 to $14.99.

Sony also announced it will sell an 80-gigabyte PS3 model for $399 beginning in September.

Among the new games revealed were "God of War III" and "Massive Action Game," which will allow up to 256 players to battle online.

Offline n3d_d2x

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1396 on: Jul 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM »
Same set-up tayo sir. Ganito ginawa ko.

PS3 (Video) HDMI to LCD TV
      (Audio) RCA to Audio in of samsung HT-X20

Oh ok, thanks!  :)

Another question, in that set-up, anong audio lumalabas? 5.1 din ba or stereo (2 channels) na lang? Pero kung 2 channels na lang, na-enhance pa rin naman yata nung HTIB, gagamitin niya Dolby ProLogic II so pwedeng 5.1 pa rin labas, tama ba? Sorry daming tanong hehehe Thanks in advance!

Mouldingo: Di ko pa kasi kaya bumili ng stand-alone na BD player kaya PS3 yung choice ko.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2008 at 11:29 PM by n3d_d2x »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1397 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 04:53 AM »
Oh ok, thanks!  :)

Another question, in that set-up, anong audio lumalabas? 5.1 din ba or stereo (2 channels) na lang? Pero kung 2 channels na lang, na-enhance pa rin naman yata nung HTIB, gagamitin niya Dolby ProLogic II so pwedeng 5.1 pa rin labas, tama ba? Sorry daming tanong hehehe Thanks in advance!

Mouldingo: Di ko pa kasi kaya bumili ng stand-alone na BD player kaya PS3 yung choice ko.

Although 2 channels lng ang input mu from the PS3, your Samsung HT will still render its output to 5.1 channel.
Great choice for deciding to get a PS3 coz its the best multi media machine available as of date at a very reasonable price.
Enjoy!
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1398 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 07:43 AM »
Doh, can't sign in unless I update to the newest FW. So no choice but to install the latest FW.  :-\

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1399 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 07:58 AM »
Doh, can't sign in unless I update to the newest FW. So no choice but to install the latest FW.  :-\

sir paul, ganun nga sa PSN. it wont allow you to go to the next pages unless you update.
anyway, i hope you didnt have a problem updating your FW.
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1400 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 08:17 AM »

im not an expert here but i think PS3 does have different Audio outputs not just stereo or 5.1 but more than that. i hope the experts can shed more light on this or just read the previous pages of this thread. i think DD 5.1 is one of them.
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1401 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 08:18 AM »
sir paul, ganun nga sa PSN. it wont allow you to go to the next pages unless you update.
its a also a precaution.  if someday, someone has hacked the PS3 so it can play bootleg copies of games, then it will be all in offline mode.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1402 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 08:21 AM »

Done updating & tried out some movies...so far so good. ;)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1403 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 08:44 AM »
Although 2 channels lng ang input mu from the PS3, your Samsung HT will still render its output to 5.1 channel.

??? ??? ??? You won't get 5.1 channels from a stereo source. What you will get is enhanced surround sound from the Samsung HTIB. 5.1 are seperate distinct channels. Example: All you hear in the center channel/speaker is dialogue. The only way you get this is through the optical or HDMI output of the PS3.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2008 at 08:50 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1404 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 09:09 AM »
"The game giant also announced that beginning this September, the 80GB PlayStation 3 will sell for $400, which is $100 less than the current price; the current 40GB $400 PS3 model will be discontinued."

Basically, the 80GB replaces the 40GB model. The 80GB is PS2 compatible and has plenty of memory slots plus 4 USB inputs. 

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&article_id=13124
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2008 at 09:12 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1405 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 12:59 PM »
"The game giant also announced that beginning this September, the 80GB PlayStation 3 will sell for $400, which is $100 less than the current price; the current 40GB $400 PS3 model will be discontinued."

Basically, the 80GB replaces the 40GB model. The 80GB is PS2 compatible and has plenty of memory slots plus 4 USB inputs. 

i have a 40giger. im afraid it does not have memory slots. what are the memory slots for?
can you use the SD memory cards for these slots?
thanks...
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline jiggs84

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1406 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 01:00 PM »
its a also a precaution.  if someday, someone has hacked the PS3 so it can play bootleg copies of games, then it will be all in offline mode.

thats a great feature. but it forces you to update to the latest firnware even if you dont want to do it.
still - okay na rin.
lovin' my Panny 42X20

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1407 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 05:22 PM »
i have a 40giger. im afraid it does not have memory slots. what are the memory slots for?
can you use the SD memory cards for these slots?
thanks...

Compact Flash Memory, SD Memory and Memory Stick slots used to transfer Game, Film, Music, Pictures etc... Same thing with the USB slots.

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1408 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 08:39 PM »
also the new 80GB comes with the DS3 already, phased-out na ang old controller

Offline clea

• Collector
  • Hi-dilly-ho-dilly, neighboreenos.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1409 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 11:17 PM »
despite having both a DS controller and the regular six-axis, I prefer the latter because its lightweight  ;)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Toy Launch
Megamall A May30