Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369397 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #1590 on: Aug 24, 2008 at 01:13 PM »
Slightly OT question, are downloads faster with a wired connection? I'm downloading games for my PS3 and it's taking too long on my WiFi network.

Offline andre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1591 on: Aug 24, 2008 at 04:47 PM »
Its better if you used a wired connection. I downloaded Tekken 5, It took me the whole night to download the game.  >:( Also for Devil May Cry 4 Demo, etc.
My DSL is not fast. Just 1 Mbps.
I heard Star Wars Force Unleashed Demo is out already, But I'm not downloading it. I know it would take me another whole night just to download a 600 to 700 mb demo game.

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1592 on: Aug 25, 2008 at 03:32 AM »
Slightly OT question, are downloads faster with a wired connection? I'm downloading games for my PS3 and it's taking too long on my WiFi network.

I used to have wifi before.but due to lag/traffic problems i changed to wired(100/1000mbps is better compared to 54mbps)..its also gives streaming over tversity a good push. ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2008 at 03:33 AM by demmet »

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1593 on: Aug 25, 2008 at 03:36 AM »
Its better if you used a wired connection. I downloaded Tekken 5, It took me the whole night to download the game.  >:( Also for Devil May Cry 4 Demo, etc.
I heard Star Wars Force Unleashed Demo is out already, But I'm not downloading it. I know it would take me another whole night just to download a 600 to 700 mb demo game.

Even ur using wired connection,still u haved to wait overnight just to download a 700mb file?kinda slow...talk to your provider re this.. ;)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1594 on: Aug 25, 2008 at 08:24 AM »

Try downloading it at dawn. It's usually faster early morning yet it may still take a few hours (3 to 4 hrs) downloading a 700mb file.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1595 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 01:35 PM »
Me using PLDT myDSL Plan 2mbps.

The Sony E3 Conference part 1 which is around 1.5gb took me 1.5 hours to download on a sunday afternoon.
No complain naman ako sa speed, minsan lang eh napuputol for no apparent reason.
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1596 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 04:25 PM »
newbie question: saan ba kayo ng download ng free games for PS3?  have not use my PS3 for gaming yet  ;) Thanks!
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2008 at 04:26 PM by vtec3 »

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1597 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 04:59 PM »
Sa PlayStation Store accessible from the XMB on the PS3.

I think you can also access the PlayStation store from a PC. I just forgot the URL though.
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1598 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 05:11 PM »
newbie question din sa ps3 ba kagaya din ng psp in terms of saving the game sa hdd di ba sa psp yung iso games pwede mo i copy sa memory stick then pwede na maglaro without the cd? ganun din ba sa ps3 pwede ka mag copy sa hdd nya ng image files of games makakalaro ka ba without the cd?

thanks

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1599 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 06:37 PM »
newbie question din sa ps3 ba kagaya din ng psp in terms of saving the game sa hdd di ba sa psp yung iso games pwede mo i copy sa memory stick then pwede na maglaro without the cd? ganun din ba sa ps3 pwede ka mag copy sa hdd nya ng image files of games makakalaro ka ba without the cd?

thanks
i think it serves the same principle once you have the game in your hdd, install it so you can play the game just through the hdd w/o the CD.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1600 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 07:24 PM »
You can get plenty of PS3 demos from the PSN Store, just select it from the XMB when you are logged in the PS Network

And for a BD game you still need the disc to play the game, there's no full install option, i can't imagine like MGS4 being fully installed into the HD, it uses a 50GB disc @_@

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #1601 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 07:54 PM »
  OT question, are downloads faster with a wired connection? I'm downloading games for my PS3 and it's taking too long on my WiFi network.

Wired is always FASTER than wireless.   ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008 at 08:47 PM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1602 on: Aug 26, 2008 at 08:51 PM »
My PS3's been getting a full workout for the last three days. Just purchased almost 28 games including Siren and I've been downloading like crazy. Still five more episodes of Siren to go AND then I get to download the new Ratchet game next.

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1603 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 10:09 AM »
[quote autho OT question, are downloads faster with a wired connection? I'm downloading games for my PS3 and it's taking too long on my WiFi network.

Wired is always FASTER than wireless.   ;D

Gigabit lan card+Gigabit switch/router =300mbps wireless  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1604 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 10:29 AM »

thanks

if you are saying if you can play iso games on ps3 through its hard drive. then the answer is no you can't yet, still no jack sparrow games on ps3, but if you are asking if there are games that can be played through the ps3's hard disk, then the answer is yes, you can download old ps1 and even some full ps3 games via ps store (you have to purchase it) and of course keep it in your hdd as long as you want.

if you are talking about disk based games, some disk based game requires you to install part of the game to the hdd so as to make the game load faster but the game disk is still needed.  ;D

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1605 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 10:40 AM »
if you are saying if you can play iso games on ps3 through its hard drive. then the answer is no you can't yet, still no jack sparrow games on ps3, but if you are asking if there are games that can be played through the ps3's hard disk, then the answer is yes, you can download old ps1 and even some full ps3 games via ps store (you have to purchase it) and of course keep it in your hdd as long as you want.

if you are talking about disk based games, some disk based game requires you to install part of the game to the hdd so as to make the game load faster but the game disk is still needed.  ;D

thanks for the info, that's my cousin's question he is planning to buy ps3 and im not yet into ps3 right now... many thanks

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1606 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
thanks for the info, that's my cousin's question he is planning to buy ps3 and im not yet into ps3 right now... many thanks

no problem  ;D

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #1607 on: Aug 27, 2008 at 08:44 PM »
Gigabit lan card+Gigabit switch/router =300mbps wireless  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sige nga.. Subukan mo nga ikabit ang Gigabit LAN card mo sa PS3..   ;D  ;D  ;D

Also, you will need Wifi N router and card to get 300Mbps wireless (for PC and lappy setup).  ;D

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008 at 09:01 PM by NeilNo »
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline Bolshoie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1608 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM »

medyo related but did some here downloaded the PS2 hdd install thingy sa PSN store...based on what i read there is you can install supported PS2 games sa hdd ng PS3 so no need for disc loading na,downloaded it but unfortunately i only have 1 PS2 game which is Katamari Damacy (first one) and obviously its not supported

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1609 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 05:21 AM »
hi bros .. as anyone tried using a pc usb controller on their ps3?
im planning to get one from cdrking since im just gonna use it for a while ..
ninjababez online ..

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #1610 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 04:18 PM »
HOT OFF THE GRILL  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mr.H

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1611 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 04:26 PM »

wow! hi-tech PS3 ah!!!
saan ba meron niyan ??? hehehehehe ;D :D
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2008 at 04:28 PM by Mr.H »
PMC / SVS PB-12 / Paradigm / Rotel RSX / Vincent CDT/Castle Power LC /Mr.H PowerCords / Emotiva XP-5

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #1612 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 04:55 PM »
wow! hi-tech PS3 ah!!!
saan ba meron niyan ??? hehehehehe ;D :D
pre order , pero sold out na  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1613 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 08:04 PM »
astig tlaga!
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1614 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 09:30 PM »

hahahaha ... ayos brader a ....
one feature that a PS3 has na wala sa other BD players   ;D ;D ;D
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1615 on: Aug 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM »

ayus! . . . hehehe

ang mahal naman na griller nyan. :D

Offline logan21

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1616 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 02:55 PM »
guys question lang...

when you watch bd movies on your ps3, do you use linear PCM or bitstream on HDMI? ano ba talaga difference?  ???

on some bd movies kasi mas clear and sound and dialogue pag bitstream, ibang movies naman mas ok pag Linear PCM... or baka sa setting sa receiver ang may prob?

I use onkyo 606 pala.  :)

Thanks!
Certified Blu-ray Addict!!!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1617 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 03:14 PM »
guys question lang...

when you watch bd movies on your ps3, do you use linear PCM or bitstream on HDMI? ano ba talaga difference?  ???

on some bd movies kasi mas clear and sound and dialogue pag bitstream, ibang movies naman mas ok pag Linear PCM... or baka sa setting sa receiver ang may prob?

I use onkyo 606 pala.  :)

Thanks!

as i understand it, with linear pcm its the ps3 that decodes the the signal, while if you bitstream it, you let the receiver decode the signal. kaya siguro iba iba nag results mo sir logan. depende sa equipment, pero dapat mas maganda decoder ng receiver kaysa sa ps3. (i definitely might be wrong here)  ???.

Offline logan21

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1618 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 06:11 PM »
as i understand it, with linear pcm its the ps3 that decodes the the signal, while if you bitstream it, you let the receiver decode the signal. kaya siguro iba iba nag results mo sir logan. depende sa equipment, pero dapat mas maganda decoder ng receiver kaysa sa ps3. (i definitely might be wrong here)  ???.

yes yun din nga assumption ko na mas magaling mag decode yung receiver... but when i choose bitstream sa ps3 and let my receiver decode the audio signal, lumalabas dts lang or dolby lang and not dts ma/dolby truHD. well yun yung nakalagay sa receiver and sa ps3 (when i press select). while if i let the ps3 decode the audio, sa receiver multichannel nakalagay pero sa ps3 DTS-MA/DOLBY TRU-HD.  ??? does that mean d mapalabas ng receiver yung HD sounds?  :o coz it supposed to according sa manual  :-\

another problem is, depende sa disc na i-play ko yung results! yung iba mas ok pag linear pcm yung iba naman mas ok pag bitstream..  ??? naguguluhan tuloy ako kung ano mas maganda hehe  ;D hirap naman kung palipat lipat ako ng settings...
Certified Blu-ray Addict!!!

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1619 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 07:00 PM »
yes yun din nga assumption ko na mas magaling mag decode yung receiver... but when i choose bitstream sa ps3 and let my receiver decode the audio signal, lumalabas dts lang or dolby lang and not dts ma/dolby truHD. well yun yung nakalagay sa receiver and sa ps3 (when i press select). while if i let the ps3 decode the audio, sa receiver multichannel nakalagay pero sa ps3 DTS-MA/DOLBY TRU-HD.  ??? does that mean d mapalabas ng receiver yung HD sounds?  :o coz it supposed to according sa manual  :-\

another problem is, depende sa disc na i-play ko yung results! yung iba mas ok pag linear pcm yung iba naman mas ok pag bitstream..  ??? naguguluhan tuloy ako kung ano mas maganda hehe  ;D hirap naman kung palipat lipat ako ng settings...

PS3 doesnt have the capability to output in bitstream DTS-HD MA, Dolby Digital+ and Dolby TrueHD.   You would still be getting HD audio though from PCM.