Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369141 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #1620 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 08:58 PM »
been following the last few posts

since i experience the same with my PS3 + 805 combo...

so if i want DTS-HD MA, Dolby Digital+ and Dolby TrueHD sound to come out, what do i do???  :-[ ???

what other BD players give me DTS-HD MA, Dolby Digital+ and Dolby TrueHD???

Makukuha mo pa rin naman sa PS3, but the deocding will be done thru PS3, not on your 805.   And your 805 will not display the said sound formats but multi-channel.

BD players that can output the HD sound formats in bitstream are Panny BD30 and newer models, Samsung 1400 and newer models.   Di na ako updated sa ibang brands...

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1621 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 09:36 PM »
Don't worry about the PS3 doing the decoding, even Criterion uses the PS3 as their BD player, if its good for them what more for us  ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1622 on: Aug 30, 2008 at 02:06 PM »
sad lang nga tingnan na the dolby thd and dts ma wont be displayed on the receiver. but the beauty of equipments now a days is, just wait a little more time and i think sony will come up with a firmware to address just that.

hirap sasony today, they have to please both the gamers and the hd enthusiasts when in the past they just focus on the gamers, that's why their resources are spread pretty thin nowadays. but it will come.  ;D

Offline logan21

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1623 on: Aug 30, 2008 at 02:31 PM »
hmmm well i guess its back to PCM for me hehe  ;D

weird lang talaga minsan yung dialogue d ko masyado marinig.. parang muffled eh..  ??? I guess sa receiver kelangan mag kalikot hehe

Thanks for the inputs sirs!  :D
Certified Blu-ray Addict!!!

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #1624 on: Aug 30, 2008 at 03:26 PM »
another ignorant question...
does it mean, it is best to play PCM than bitstream to get full HD sound?
if so how do you now set your AVR?  specifically an 805?
aabangan ko din ang magiging sagot sa tanung mo  ;D ;D
ang alam ko lang kasi, kapag bitstream ang settings sa ps3, lahat ng hd sound will downscale to either DD or dts. 
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2008 at 03:30 PM by skylynx888 »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1625 on: Aug 30, 2008 at 03:50 PM »
some info i got.

PS3 HDMI Audio Options

When "Bitstream" is selected:
Blu-Ray Disc Audio Track -> HDMI audio output

Dolby Digital 5.1 -> Dolby Digital 5.1 output (lossy)
DTS -> DTS output (lossy)
DTS EX -> DTX EX output (lossy)
Dolby Digital Plus -> Dolby Digital 5.1 output (lossy)
DTS-HD -> DTS core output (lossy)
DTS-HD MA -> DTS core output (lossy)
TrueHD -> Dolby Digital 5.1 output (lossy)

PCM -> LPCM output (lossless)

When "Linear PCM" is selected:
Blu-Ray Disc Audio Track -> HDMI audio output

Dolby Digital 5.1 -> LPCM output (lossy)
DTS -> LPCM output (lossy)
DTS EX -> LPCM output (lossy)
Dolby Digital Plus -> Dolby Digital 5.1 core converted to LPCM output (lossy)
DTS-HD -> DTS core converted to LPCM output (lossy)
DTS-HD MA -> DTS core converted to LPCM output (lossy)
TrueHD -> LPCM output (lossless)
PCM -> LPCM output (lossless)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1626 on: Aug 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM »
ano pong english translation nun brader iiinaslao?  hehe sorry di ko na gets.

as i understand it sir jazzy, to enjoy the lossless dolby truhd and dts hd ma from the ps3, we should set it (ps3) to output linear pcm, actually the info i posted was an old one still, since it says even with lpcm it will still output dts hd ma as lossy lpcm, but the 2.35 firmware has already address this.

so dont set it to bitstream as it will downgrade the sound to ordinary lossy dd and dts.

as for the settings in the 805, you dont have to set anything, and what you will see on your receiver's panel is "multichannel". unfortunately its not the words "dolby truhd or dts hd-ma". but as sir logan said, the ps3 will show either dolby truhd or dts hd-ma.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1627 on: Aug 31, 2008 at 11:30 AM »
ano pong english translation nun brader iiinaslao?  hehe sorry di ko na gets.

Why don’t I see True HD and DTS HD MA light up on my receiver when I play Blu Ray and HD DVD movies?

If you own a some older series HD players, for example Blu Ray players (Ex. Playstation 3, Samsung 1200) / HD DVD player Toshiba A2, A20); those players are NOT designed to output in lossless bitstream (Hard to think those are outdated technology already but for this kind of usage they are!). If you own one of these players its decoding these HD audio formats internally (instead of sending the signal to the receiver to decode). When using these older players you should set your player to output in PCM. It will send this PCM data "predecoded" to your receiver and your receiver doesn't have to do anything but play it. Therefore, your receiver will not show True HD or DTS HD MA light up (because it’s already been predecoded inside your player already) You ARE still getting True HD/DTS HD MA even though your player decodes it you just are not having to use your receiver to do the decoding.

Only players like the ones outlined below in, send out lossless bitstream of "both" True HD and DTS HD MA to allow your receiver to decode it. Yes, if you own those players, you will see True HD/DTS HD MA display on the front of your receiver. These players allow your receiver to decode when your set them to bitstream output.

Players that support lossless bitstream of both True HD and DTS HD MA formats:
LG BH200 [Blu Ray & HD DVD] True HD/DTS HD MA with latest firmware update
Samsung BD-UP5000 [Blu Ray & HD DVD] Lossless Bistreaming of True HD/DTS HD MA with latest firmware update (1.3 or later)
Samsung BDP-1400 [Blu Ray]
*New*Samsung BD-P1500 [Blu Ray]
Panasonic DMP-BD30 [Blu Ray]
*New* Philips BDP7200 [Blu Ray]
*New* Denon DVD-3800BDCI [Blu Ray]
*New* Denon DVD-2500BTCI [Blu Ray]
Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD [Blu Ray]
Toshiba A35 [HD DVD]
Toshiba XA2 [HD DVD] (Only if you have firmware v2.7 or higher)
Onkyo DV-HD805 [HD DVD]
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1628 on: Aug 31, 2008 at 11:37 AM »
This is a post in AVSforum.com

Why won't my Playstation 3 allow my receiver to decode HD audio formats for me? Will it ever be able to?

Even though Playstation 3 is HDMI 1.3 device it doesn't mean its privy to the full list of 1.3a spec of capabilities. Sony cut a very early deal for a proprietary version of the Silicon Image Vastlane chipset (the 9132). The Vastlane chipset is the brain of HD audio and HD video used among many companies. After the PS3 came out Silicon Image released a (possibly revised) public version of that chipset used in Ps3, this newer chipset is the Vastlane 9134. These latest versions are used for players such as Toshiba A35 and Samsung BDP1400. Even to this day a year later, the new ps3's still use the older proprietary 9132 model.

The PS3 was the 1st 1.3 hdmi kid on the block. The Vastlane 9132 chip was made proprietary for Sony to use in the PS3 and is not sold to the public (other companies). Also, its "official" specs are not listed for the public on any known website. However, If you read the financial report from Silicon Image from the time frame (google this) when the playstation 3 came out you see the Ps3 chipset listed with specs (simple specs, but specs never the less). These specs do not mention handling of the latest HD audio formats at all.

To the best of anyones knowledge here on AVS forums and around the net this is the breakdown of this series of Vastlane Chips

SI Vastline 9132: (Gaming Transmitter) Supports Deep Color but not the latest high-quality audio formats.
SI Vastline 9133: (Dual Input Receiver) Enables HDTV's to display Deep Color but does not support the latest high-quality audio formats.
SI Vastline 9134: (Dual Input Transmitter) Same abilities as the 9133 with additional support for the latest high-quality audio formats.

So does this all mean PS3 can NEVER output lossless bitstream audio?

No one can definitively say Ps3 will or wont be able give us lossless bitstreaming in the future all we know is right now it Can't. Also, there are not even the least bit of rumors from sony that it will ever be able to.

The firmware debate:
If Sil 9132 can't do lossless bitstreaming due to hardware limitations there is much debate is out there over whether or not ps3 can be firmware/software patched to reprogram the Silicon Image vastlane 9132. Honestly, no one knows. If Sony can find some slick software approach to get around this who knows (which no one is even sure is possible with this kinda of chip). I am sure it would require a lot of time and effort and why would Sony invest all that money when the general public doesn't even know about HD audio formats much less wanting to allow your receiver to decode them vs the player. This is a confusing topics for seasoned pros much less the general consumer.

The hardware debate:
Some users argue that sony could simply install a 9134 in the latest units if the old 9132 couldn't do lossless bitstream. They conclude that since they don't install the 9134 in the newest ps3's, then the 9132 must be able to do lossless bitstream. Thats quite a leap in logical thinking as to why sony isn't updating that chip. First, I dont think sony has a marketing requirement to allow users to have lossless bitstreaming its not a major selling point of the PS3. Also there could be other factors; It's possible the 9134 may not even be usable in the ps3 in the same was the 9132 is being used. If that was the case, Sony would have to contract out the development of an entirely new and updated chipset from Silicon Image. This would cost so much I am sure the cons out weight the benefits.

My thoughts on all this are; if the SI 9132 had functionality and it was there to turn on, then we would likely already have it. Especially, when they enabled bitstream output in that patch few months back. That combined with the 9132's early release, I got a strong hunch that chip simply can not do it. I would say that if we don't see lossless audio bitstreaming come with the patch that gives us DTS HD MA decoding, we likely will never see it. But still, no rumors of lossless bitstream. (Update: The 2.30 DTS HD MA audio firmware is now out.. and still no sign of a lossless bitstream being made available on the PS3) If there isn't a huge demand for lossless bitstreaming why ever invest the manpower to figure it out.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #1629 on: Sep 02, 2008 at 07:02 PM »
i don't know if this had already bee nanswered. i just want to know how to connect the ps3 to an avr that has no hdmi port to obtain the the full 5.1 sound or even 7.1? is the toslink support this connection or do i need a multichannel cable for the ps3? is there such a cable? thanks.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1630 on: Sep 02, 2008 at 08:28 PM »
i don't know if this had already bee nanswered. i just want to know how to connect the ps3 to an avr that has no hdmi port to obtain the the full 5.1 sound or even 7.1? is the toslink support this connection or do i need a multichannel cable for the ps3? is there such a cable? thanks.

you will need toslink / optical cable, digital out from ps3 to avr's digital input. then set your ps3 to bitstream to let the avr decode the dd and dts signal. with this connection, you get 5.1 lossy dolby digital and dts signals.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2008 at 08:29 PM by iiinaslao »

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #1631 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 10:15 AM »
you will need toslink / optical cable, digital out from ps3 to avr's digital input. then set your ps3 to bitstream to let the avr decode the dd and dts signal. with this connection, you get 5.1 lossy dolby digital and dts signals.

thanks for the info...

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1632 on: Sep 09, 2008 at 03:26 PM »
How much is a US version PS3 going for? (Puros R1 kasi yung mga DVD ko kaya US version kailangan)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1633 on: Sep 09, 2008 at 11:34 PM »
chief if you are getting from the US, i think around U$D299 excluding tax and shipping.

sir jazzy & sir blued888,

i believe its $399 for the 40gb ps3 in the us of a. but if i were you sir blued888, i will wait for a couple of weeks more because the 40gb ps3 is being phased out and to replace this sku is the new 80gb ps3. so in a couple of weeks, you still pay $399 for a ps3 but you get a higher spec machine at the same time its bundled with dual shock 3 controller already rather than a sixaxis.  ;)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1634 on: Sep 09, 2008 at 11:39 PM »
Copy! $399 yung 80GB sa Amazon, in stock na siya. Wala ako makitang $299 whether it be eBay or online sites. Thanks Jazzy Jake and iiinaslao! :)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1635 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:11 AM »
my brother got his for 299, as he was able to get coupons online worth 100.
wow thats a big discount .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1636 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:15 AM »

ah sir jazzy,

is that the offer of walmart, i think i did read that somewhere. thats a very good deal.  ;D

Offline scoob

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • DVD Addict
  • Needs to learn a few tricks...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1637 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 12:07 AM »
When using these older players you should set your player to output in PCM. It will send this PCM data "predecoded" to your receiver and your receiver doesn't have to do anything but play it.

What is the most reasonably priced receiver in the market today that can do this?

Offline demmet

• Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #1638 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 02:19 AM »

With this..  you haved to pay first  $399+ local tax..then walmart will be give the coupon($100) to be use in thier local or online store.

Add ko lang... sony offers $100 credit back on purchase of $$299 or more.

PS3 = $399 less $100 credit back

Total is $299 also.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644489278

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1639 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 05:31 AM »

With this..  you haved to pay first  $399+ local tax..then walmart will be give the coupon($100) to be use in thier local or online store.

Total is $299 also.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644489278

swerter talaga ng mga nasa abroad  :(
ninjababez online ..

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1640 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 06:51 AM »

swerte talaga mga taga u.s.in terms of choices, support and pricing.  ;D

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #1641 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 01:42 PM »
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/16/ps3-firmware-update-v242/

Hi, everyone, I wanted to give you a heads up about PS3 firmware update (v2.43). Unlike previous updates, firmware v2.43 is specific to the Japan region, and only PS3 users there will be required to install the update. PS3 users in all other regions will not be prompted to download v2.43. However, if you manually initiate a firmware update by clicking on “System Update” under the XMB’s Settings icon, the v2.43 update will be available, regardless of where you are located.

Users outside of Japan do not need to perform this update if your PS3 system software is on version v2.41 or later. However if you do perform the update, it will not cause any issues with your system or add any new functionality.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1642 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 01:45 PM »

Hi, everyone, I wanted to give you a heads up about PS3 firmware update (v2.43). Unlike previous updates, firmware v2.43 is specific to the Japan region, and only PS3 users there will be required to install the update. PS3 users in all other regions will not be prompted to download v2.43. However, if you manually initiate a firmware update by clicking on “System Update” under the XMB’s Settings icon, the v2.43 update will be available, regardless of where you are located.

Users outside of Japan do not need to perform this update if your PS3 system software is on version v2.41 or later. However if you do perform the update, it will not cause any issues with your system or add any new functionality.

thanks for the heads up bro  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline logan21

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1643 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 04:14 PM »

hmm wonder what the update does? It specifically says that "it will not add any new functionality" so why release an update that doesn't do anything?  ???

I guess sa japan psn or games lang may use to  ;D
Certified Blu-ray Addict!!!

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1644 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 06:30 AM »
hmm wonder what the update does? It specifically says that "it will not add any new functionality" so why release an update that doesn't do anything?  ???
I guess sa japan psn or games lang may use to  ;D

prolly parental control stuff .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1645 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 12:44 AM »
Its for the PSN Japan Video Store

Offline Bolshoie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1646 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 07:38 AM »

para ka rin namang nasa abroad ah :) Mga kano kausap mo araw araw  :D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1647 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 08:02 AM »
para ka rin namang nasa abroad ah :) Mga kano kausap mo araw araw  :D
:D
ninjababez online ..

Offline NadB

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Music is Life!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1648 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 10:27 PM »

Total is $299 also.

Swerte naman nung bumili sa Walmart, ako I just bought the 80GB from Best Buy yesterday...pero $399 and
walang coupon (rebates).

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1649 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 07:01 PM »

Swerte naman nung bumili sa Walmart, ako I just bought the 80GB from Best Buy yesterday...pero $399 and
walang coupon (rebates).

Sir Dapat yata mag apply ka muna ng credit card sa sony para ma avail mo yun $100 off nila. kahit sa mga blu-ray player pwede din $100 off kung mag apply ka ng sony credit card. Hangang ngayon ok pa yun offer ng sony na $100 off..
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2008 at 07:05 PM by TOY01 »
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)