Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369310 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #1740 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 07:38 AM »
Congrat n3d_d2x for deciding to get a PS3...enjoy! ;)

Offline n3d_d2x

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1741 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 10:08 PM »
steelcrazy - oh i see, will do that. thanks for the info!

lithium_deuteride - according to steelcrazy di daw tumatanggap ng 1080p signals yung lcd tv ko, pero try ko na rin mag experiment. thanks!

pchin - thanks! baka bukas mag canvass na ako sa greenhills. kung may questions pa ako mag post lang ako dito, helpful din kasi talaga mga tao dito and dami ko natututunan. ;D

ETA: Additional question na medyo off topic na, I'm planning to purchase din kasi an external hard drive for use with my pc and PS3 (through USB). i'm a total noob when it comes to all these so please bear with me. Ano po ba ma recommend niyo sakin na brand, and kung saan ako makakabili with the cheapest price. 300gb or 500gb sana target ko na size (I read somewhere na up to 300gb lang yung kaya ng PS3 ma-detect? not sure) but if that's true, yung 300gb na lang bilin ko, pero if the 500gb will work on the PS3 din naman, 500gb na bilin ko. basta importante gumana and compatible sa PS3. thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM by n3d_d2x »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1742 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 06:52 AM »
ETA: Additional question na medyo off topic na, I'm planning to purchase din kasi an external hard drive for use with my pc and PS3 (through USB). i'm a total noob when it comes to all these so please bear with me. Ano po ba ma recommend niyo sakin na brand, and kung saan ako makakabili with the cheapest price. 300gb or 500gb sana target ko na size (I read somewhere na up to 300gb lang yung kaya ng PS3 ma-detect? not sure) but if that's true, yung 300gb na lang bilin ko, pero if the 500gb will work on the PS3 din naman, 500gb na bilin ko. basta importante gumana and compatible sa PS3. thanks a lot!

if your are looking for external hard drives there are two kinds. the 3.5" and 2.5", the 3.5" uses desktop hdds are those that usually needs external power (additional power outlet neede) while 2.5" uses laptop drives and doesnt need external power. it just uses the device's power (in your case the ps3) and of course the 2.5" has a smaller footprint and its definitely more portable. western digital my book series (3.5") are quite popular now price is roughly 5.5k for 640gb to 6.5k for 1 tb. their passport series (2.5") is quite good as well but more expensive.

look at tipid pc and our marketplace, lots of sellers offering these hdd.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1743 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 09:01 AM »
steelcrazy - oh i see, will do that. thanks for the info!

lithium_deuteride - according to steelcrazy di daw tumatanggap ng 1080p signals yung lcd tv ko, pero try ko na rin mag experiment. thanks!

pchin - thanks! baka bukas mag canvass na ako sa greenhills. kung may questions pa ako mag post lang ako dito, helpful din kasi talaga mga tao dito and dami ko natututunan. ;D

Bro pls take note that the PS3 can only detect Hard Drives w/ FAT32 formats and cannot detect Hard Drives w/ NTFS formats. If ur plan is to store movie files into an external hard drive and watch them via usb connection on ur PS3, sad to say that the PS3 cannot read and play MKV files although it can play avi, divx,and mpeg files.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline n3d_d2x

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1744 on: Dec 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM »
iiinas - i'm looking for the 2.5" so that i won't need external power anymore. i'll try to scout tpid pc and our market place here for the best prices. thanks!

steelcrazy - yep, i understand that the ps3 can only detect hard drives with fat32 formats. i read somewhere that there's a software (the name has a knife on it, forgot the exact name) that can convert external hard drives from NTFS to fat32. i plan on storing some hd movies on an external hard drive and view it on the ps3, i can use mkv2vob to convert the mkv files. btw, i just bought my ps3 today. i have 3 games but no blu ray movies yet, i'll browse the high def marketplace of pdvd to find some good offers. :D 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1745 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 08:53 AM »
The software ur refering to is SWISSKNIFE for formatting hard drives. I wasnt successful in doin so coz the files in downloaded were corrupt files. I hope u can share to me if ever ur successful doin so.

Congrates for having a PS3, I hope you will enjoy it playing games and at the same time enjoy some bluray movies of ur choice.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1746 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 09:12 AM »
Bro pls take note that the PS3 can only detect Hard Drives w/ FAT32 formats and cannot detect Hard Drives w/ NTFS formats. If ur plan is to store movie files into an external hard drive and watch them via usb connection on ur PS3, sad to say that the PS3 cannot read and play MKV files although it can play avi, divx,and mpeg files.

I've been using my PS3 in watching downloaded mkv files. To view mkv files on your PS3 you have to extract the m2ts file from the mkv or matroska file which is just a container using tsmuxer software in just 2 to 3 minutes using your pc. The resulting m2ts file is basically the same file used in blu-ray movie discs & there's no conversion during the process. You still get the same 720p or 1080p quality those with nmts or htpcs are getting when watching mkv files. I am also using an external hard drive in FAT32 format connected to the PS3 via usb to store & watch m2ts files with less than 4gb file size. (limitation of the FAT32 formatted hard drives) For larger m2ts files (4gb up), I use the HFS software to download & copy the file to the PS3's hdd or stream m2ts files from my pc to the PS3 thru the PS3's internet browser & my router. All these softwares are freewares & downloaded from the internet. If you already have a PS3 & don't have extra funds to get an nmt or htpc this is the way to view downloaded mkv files. There's more you can do with your PS3 aside from playing video games & watching blu-ray discs, just google it  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2008 at 09:15 AM by aeris30 »

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1747 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM »
Thanks aeris30.  That was very informative  ;)

Maybe someone can help me with my dilemma.  My PS3 can't detect my PC.  I followed the tutorials and my PS3 was able to detect my Vista once, but that's it.  So now, I don't know how to transfer files from the PC to the PS3.  It may be setting on my Vista, but I'm not sure.  I disabled a lot of services in Vista--services that I didn't need at the time.

Also, is this the best way to transfer files from the PC to the PS3?  I don't have any extra hard drives right now.

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1748 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 03:16 PM »
Here's an easier way to transfer or stream media from your pc to your PS3 without using media servers like nero or tversity:

How to Guide : PS3 + Update 2.20 + HFS + mkv2vob = ^_^

or this

TUTORIAL

In both ways you can do a background download on your PS3.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2008 at 03:18 PM by aeris30 »

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1749 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 05:39 PM »
I've been using my PS3 in watching downloaded mkv files. To view mkv files on your PS3 you have to extract the m2ts file from the mkv or matroska file which is just a container using tsmuxer software in just 2 to 3 minutes using your pc. The resulting m2ts file is basically the same file used in blu-ray movie discs & there's no conversion during the process. You still get the same 720p or 1080p quality those with nmts or htpcs are getting when watching mkv files. I am also using an external hard drive in FAT32 format connected to the PS3 via usb to store & watch m2ts files with less than 4gb file size. (limitation of the FAT32 formatted hard drives) For larger m2ts files (4gb up), I use the HFS software to download & copy the file to the PS3's hdd or stream m2ts files from my pc to the PS3 thru the PS3's internet browser & my router. All these softwares are freewares & downloaded from the internet. If you already have a PS3 & don't have extra funds to get an nmt or htpc this is the way to view downloaded mkv files. There's more you can do with your PS3 aside from playing video games & watching blu-ray discs, just google it  :)

Thanks a lot Sir aeris30 for sharing your knowledge. I'll try it out asap and if i encounter any problems, i hope i can consult w/ you again.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1750 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 07:17 PM »
Thanks a lot Sir aeris30 for sharing your knowledge. I'll try it out asap and if i encounter any problems, i hope i can consult w/ you again.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No problem bro. Happy New Year too!

Offline n3d_d2x

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1751 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 01:02 PM »
i just tried out aeris30's suggestion and it works like a charm! ;D thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. :D

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1752 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 09:10 PM »
Meorn ba similar tutorial for MAC naman?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1753 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 02:01 AM »
hi aeris30 , how about badly encode 1080p mkv files?  can ps3 play them smoothly? 
ninjababez online ..

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #1754 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 04:41 PM »
I have a question regarding PS3 HDD upgrade. Let say I have 60GB PS3 and just using 30GB and I will upgrade to 320GB HDD. Is it possible to back-up the PS3 using the internal HDD (since it has space) thyen after replacing the HDD I will use the previous HDD(60G) to backup the old file?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1755 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 05:16 PM »
^hi bro. i think di sya pwde na ganun. needed talaga yung ext hdd. kasi undetectable yung hdd ng ps3 from other devices as well sa ps3 din via usb. kelangn mo pa sya reformat para maging usable.

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1756 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 10:51 AM »
^hi bro. i think di sya pwde na ganun. needed talaga yung ext hdd. kasi undetectable yung hdd ng ps3 from other devices as well sa ps3 din via usb. kelangn mo pa sya reformat para maging usable.
You're right, thanks kt.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1757 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 02:04 PM »
^np bro! dont forget to backup para ready to use pag restore

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1758 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 03:44 PM »
question lang po I recently bought a PS3 na rin, kaso 1 lang HDMI input ng TV ko, san kaya ako makakakuha ng HDMI splitter and how much kaya ang isang ganon? Thanks :)

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1759 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 06:13 AM »
question lang po I recently bought a PS3 na rin, kaso 1 lang HDMI input ng TV ko, san kaya ako makakakuha ng HDMI splitter and how much kaya ang isang ganon? Thanks :)

wala po talaga sa atin tapos expensive sa labas  :(

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1760 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 07:01 AM »

PM mo si oreoshake. Meron siya post sa For Sale, 4 input 1 out ng HDMI with remote. Wanted that one as well :)
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1761 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 01:10 PM »
wala po talaga sa atin tapos expensive sa labas  :(

I see, thanks. Inconvenient kasi mag palit palit ng HDMI pag 1 lang HDMI port ng TV.  :-\

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1762 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 09:28 AM »
I see, thanks. Inconvenient kasi mag palit palit ng HDMI pag 1 lang HDMI port ng TV.  :-\
Baka ito sir pwede na sa inyo...

HDMI Switcher (click)
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2009 at 08:42 PM by TOY 01 »
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1763 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 02:30 PM »
It's not splitter. You need a HDMI Switcher. There is available here from Toy1. Follow this link:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=90750.0

odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1764 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM »
Hi,

would you guys know if the PS3 can output Bluray movies via component cables?  Im projection TV supports 720p and 1080i, but via component only, with no HDMI inputs.  What would be the resolution via the component cables?

hope you guys can help.

thanks

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1765 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 04:48 PM »
yup pwede component up to 720p

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1766 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 04:54 PM »

another option is to get an HDMI capable receiver. normally these receivers have multiple HDMI inputs  ;) you will be able to enjoy Hi-def audio also if you go this route  ;D mas mahal nga lang  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2009 at 04:54 PM by vtec3 »

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1767 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 06:06 PM »
yup pwede component up to 720p

thanks!  i looked it up in other sites as well.  pwede component -> 720p or 1080i

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #1768 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 09:09 PM »
Hi,

would you guys know if the PS3 can output Bluray movies via component cables?  Im projection TV supports 720p and 1080i, but via component only, with no HDMI inputs.  What would be the resolution via the component cables?

hope you guys can help.

thanks

yup, PS3 can output video upto 720p/1080i using component cables. You just need to buy PS3 component cables. :D

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1769 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 09:43 PM »
ps3 can output 720p and 1080p via component. This is the connection I currently uses.

My hdmi connection is my acer x3200.