Author Topic: samsung 14 bit dvd player  (Read 596 times)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
samsung 14 bit dvd player
« on: Nov 29, 2006 at 01:13 PM »
hello, does anyone have this. I was at automatic center in glorietta last nite and saw this player down to 3600 ata (less 1000 pesos orig at 4600 ata) . Does the 14 bit video Dac make it clearer than lets say a pioneer 12 bit player? Im thinking of getting this for my p......ted dvds setup, because im using orange player for now and want to get the best in terms of PQ for my P......ted dvds. Also the orange player plays everything (in terms of P........td dvds) . Does anybody know if the samsung will play everything. I also heard philips is not choosy playing p....d dvds. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline du1mij

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: samsung 14 bit dvd player
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 11:35 AM »
Hi, bro.  Let me attempt to explain the significance of the "bits" in the digital realm.

"Bits" is a concatenation of 2 words--Binary Digit.  Meaning, unlike the usual decimal counting system that consists of ten numbers (0 to 9), the binary counting system uses only 2 numbers--0 and 1.

If I have for example a 1-bit converter, that means I can only convert an analog signal to 2 different digital values, namely, 0 and 1.  It's like having just a simple switch that is either "on" or "off".  To represent video, this wouldn't be very useful in this day and age.

If on the other hand I have a 2-bit converter, that means I can now represent 4 different analog values in digital, namely, 00, 01, 10, 11. Now that's twice the values of a 1-bit system.  If I have a 3-bit converter, I can now represent 8 unique values, namely, 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111.  Again, this is twice the values of a 2-bit system and 4 times more than the 1-bit system.

If you notice, the formula to determine the number of unique values would be 2 raised to the power of n, where n is the number of bits.  So technically speaking, the more number of bits, the more analog values can be digitally represented, ergo the better the quality.

Unfotunately, there's a throng of other factors that would determine quality but all else being equal, the more bits, the better.

'Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2006 at 12:02 PM by du1mij »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
Re: samsung 14 bit dvd player
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 11:42 AM »
ok pare thanks very much Now I understand more there are a lot of technical stuff and terms I still dont understand in the hidef market. thnks again