Author Topic: Tested Today.the new Sony SXRD rear projection and X series LCD  (Read 965 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Visited tyhe local sony shop and they had the new X series LCD.  I tested the 40 inch LCD  as well as the 50 and 60 inch  SXRD  rear projection...both are 1080P.  Will start of with rear projections reviews.  For picture quality..using a real DVD....(matrix movie and a pirated red hot chilli pepper concert)I rated the SXRD a very good 8.25 and for color we also rate it a 8.5.  Very good stuff.

Then went to Ansons...We then tested a toshiba 64 inch DLP rear projection (1080p)and it was pretty good......but rated a 7.25 for picture quality and color..    Also noticed too much pixelization.

Then we tested the newest JVC 56 inch rear projection (1080P) and this rated a 7.5 for picture quaity anda 7.5 for color.  The clear winner of this test for rear projection was the Sony SXRD.

We then tested the New X series LCD 1080P against the current standard (780P) sets of JVC...Aquos...toshiba.   

Toshiba..rated a 7.25
jvc rated a 7.5
aquos rated a 7.75

NOW>>>>>Checked out the new X series and it was lined up side by side  to all there current LCD....the V series.....the S series.  all were hooked up the same DVD player.  AND WE SET ALL THE TVS TO THE MIDDLE RANGE ON ALL SETTINGS TO 50.  When comparing the three........

S series rated a 8.0 for picture quality and a 8.25 for color  (189,000 peso)
V series rated a 8.25 for picture and a 8.25 for color  ( 219,000 peso)

and the x series  rated a 9.25 for picture quality (minimal pixelization) and a 9.0 for color.....(and this is on setting that we did not tweak ) (279.000 peso)

The X series was really a beautiful picture.....truly impressive.

Must say the LCD was looking smooth as silk. 

To me and  it was all to obvious that  the v sereis and s series displayed a pixelization in bright areas where the X series did not.

These opinions are based on using a standard DVD player and a standard DVD.  No doubt that when using a High Def dvd player  and then a high def DVD the results  the scoring gap for the testing of units would probably be wider????????

Any you guys test the Sony series against each other?

Have you compared picture of new Sony SXRD to that of other brands like toshiba or others......

lets  hear your verdicts!!!!

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Tested Today.the new Sony SXRD rear projection and X series LCD
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2006 at 06:15 PM »
Am really surprized by the fact that no one has responded to this thread.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 03:24 PM »
To do a very objective comparison, you should a least have the same source material and player under a controlled environment. They should be calibrated via Avia or DVE or better yet , have a greyscale calibration if possible.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2006 at 07:17 AM »
Today I have a scheduled  home demo (on my sky platinum) for the 40 inch V series and the 60 inch  SXRD.  My interest is not to buy the V series but as they have no X series in stock the V serves will serve as a test substitute (as they have the same tuner).

Hve a great day to you all and wish me luck!

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2006 at 08:22 AM »

Personally m more interested now with Front Projectors price wise-  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline TSXdriver

• Apprentice
  • Noobie here on this forum but long time A/V freak
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2006 at 05:59 AM »

Well I looked hard at both sets SXRD and the Bravia in the end I chose the Bravia (KDL46XBR2).....I just didn't like the idea of changing lamps every so many hours and the fact is those lamps costs a fortune (over 200 bucks).  No doubt both PQ on both sets are awesome and the chasis are nice.  :)
Pinoy TSXdriver