Author Topic: Pioneer Kuro Plasmas  (Read 39768 times)

Offline louie777

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pioneer Plasma review - Please help =)
« Reply #150 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 07:36 PM »
sure man thanks.. may nakita din ako isang settings sa forum sa states, post ko din dito so you can try it out... thanks

Offline louie777

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 11:51 PM »
To those who are thinking of buying a plasma pioneer i posted my setup here:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=76469.0

thanks to all who helped me get this unit!

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 12:10 AM »
Congratulations Louie on your nice set up, kudos for the kuros !!! -from another cabalen
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline louie777

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 01:01 AM »
hehe taga pampanga ka din ba dude?

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
my clan is pampango-tarlac  ;)  but we grew up here and just visit relatives on occasion
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 07:00 AM »
To those who are thinking of buying a plasma pioneer i posted my setup here:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=76469.0

thanks to all who helped me get this unit!

Congrats for putting up everything nicely.  The Pioneer Kuro is a good choice for ultimate home entertainment.

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:34 AM »
Hi Guys,
I've finally decided on the Kuro 508XG.  I've posted the pic here:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=63765.330

Offline 2ne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Archt. Anthony Divino 09178426442
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 04:31 PM »
newbie here, im planning to buy 428xg..after a thorough canvassing, i learned that you are entitled for an isf calibration from authorized technician straight from pioneer philippines (although calibration settings for 8th gen isnt available as of yet) for free when purchasing 8th gen pioneer kuros.

Can anyone tell me what should I expect after an ISF calibration? Has anyone been disatisfied with the picture after the ISF calibration?

Thanks in advance.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 04:58 PM »
newbie here, im planning to buy 428xg..after a thorough canvassing, i learned that you are entitled for an isf calibration from authorized technician straight from pioneer philippines (although calibration settings for 8th gen isnt available as of yet) for free when purchasing 8th gen pioneer kuros.

Can anyone tell me what should I expect after an ISF calibration? Has anyone been disatisfied with the picture after the ISF calibration?

Thanks in advance.

We sell Pioneer Kuro PDP428XG with free SpyderTV Pro Colorimeter Calibration. Many of our clients found calibrated TV improved with better skin tone color and better gradation of black contrast.

You may wish to visit us at Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza to see for yourself the improved picture after TV was calibrated. For further inquiry, call 634-1789 to 90. Or mobile 09175413491.

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 05:14 PM »
pm cash price sir. thanks :)

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2008 at 08:12 AM »
I tried to check the service menu of my 508XG, naka 100+ hours na din ako ;-). Below is the procedure from AVSforum (I just edited to match w/ 508XG):

WARNING!, do not change any settings, just view the settings

Start with the plasma in Standby
Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press INFO on the remote (just press, do not hold)
Wait 4 to 5 seconds
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed

Then use the down arrow to page through to page 5
PANEL = the time the set has been on (format is 100H45M; 100 hours 45 min.)
MTB = the time the set has been plugged in

When you finish press the HOME MENU button

Offline thefeeder

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Pioneer Kuro Plasmas
« Reply #161 on: Aug 07, 2008 at 07:21 PM »
9G kuros may have been marketed in the states already.

@Nemesis and E-reply
Any news about the incoming 9G Kuro? Are there tentative prices already?

What about prices on the '07 Kuro's? nagbabaan na po ba? Been admiring kuro's since I've seen the displays. Please PM me sale prices if it's not too much trouble. Thanks in advance! :)

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Aug 08, 2008 at 10:23 AM »
9G kuros may have been marketed in the states already.

@Nemesis and E-reply
Any news about the incoming 9G Kuro? Are there tentative prices already?

What about prices on the '07 Kuro's? nagbabaan na po ba? Been admiring kuro's since I've seen the displays. Please PM me sale prices if it's not too much trouble. Thanks in advance! :)

There are none yet of the 9G Kuro in the Philippine market. By the way, the series '07 are not KURO, but regular Pioneer plasma TVs. Pioneer started KURO series on its 8 seires line-up.

Offline thefeeder

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Aug 08, 2008 at 10:44 PM »
There are none yet of the 9G Kuro in the Philippine market. By the way, the series '07 are not KURO, but regular Pioneer plasma TVs. Pioneer started KURO series on its 8 seires line-up.

hehe. i was referring to 2007 models ('07). pa-pm sale prices kung meron including 50 inchers. last time i checked with your guys shops it was tagged at 95 to 97k for the 42":)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #164 on: Aug 08, 2008 at 10:58 PM »
hehe. i was referring to 2007 models ('07). pa-pm sale prices kung meron including 50 inchers. last time i checked with your guys shops it was tagged at 95 to 97k for the 42":)

wow, at 95k its almost double the price of a pv8. double din kaya ang ganda sa pq. sabagay, iba talaga ang brand na kuro. if money is no object, kuro talaga.  ;)

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 02:26 AM »
Just an FYI.

March 2008:

Pioneer to stop production of plasma panels
http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/2362/206/
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 02:28 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 07:03 AM »
Just an FYI.

March 2008:

they will be using same panel as panasonic (biggest plasma panel manufacturer). but the chips and tech that is use to squeeze the picture out of the panel will still be proprietary, which in the end might spell the difference between a great pq or an excellent pq which owners of pioneer kuro plasma's are extremely proud of.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 03:31 PM »
Just an FYI.

March 2008:

That's old news. 

That news item appeared in pinoydvd in February, even before it was reported in that digitalhome website:

Plasma news:

Pioneer to stop making 42-inch plasma panels: report
Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:16am EST 

TOKYO (Reuters) - Pioneer Corp will stop making 42-inch plasma panels and instead buy panels in that size and smaller from Panasonic maker Matsushita Electric Industrial or Hitachi Ltd to turn around its loss-making flat TV business, the Asahi newspaper said.

Japanese consumer and auto electronics maker Pioneer will end output of such panels at a plant in Kagoshima prefecture in southern Japan as early as by March 2009, the paper said in the report on Saturday.

It will focus on making panels 50 inches or larger at other plants, the Asahi said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST34259620080225

Posted on March 4, still earlier than digitalhome's March 7 post:

Pioneer says goodbye to plasma manufacturing  :o :o :o
Posted Mar 3rd 2008 6:42PM by Richard Lawler

We wondered why its so hard to find one of Pioneer's award winning Kuro plasmas on shelves these days, and here is the answer. The Nikkei is reporting that Pioneer plans to stop producing plasma panels altogether, and only put together HDTVs with panels purchased from other sources. Panasonic and Hitachi remain as the only Japanese plasma manufacturers, Pioneer already has a deal with the former to purchase plasmas for its 42-inch model, and will expand that agreement according to The Nikkei. Honestly, this wouldn't be a big deal for most companies, as we've seen with the Sony/Sharp/Samsung triangle in LCD manufacturing, but since Pioneer is the only manufacturer promising the blackest black levels this side of carbon nanotubes, we're freaking out a bit. Here's hoping Pioneer slides over the blueprints to the infinite contrast concept (and that sexy 9mm model) and keeps the party going.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/03/pioneer-says-goodbye-to-plasma-manufacturing/

Matinik talaga ang pinoydvd  ;)

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 03:34 PM by barrister »

Offline ruth2art

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 02:37 PM »
Yup, mabibilis talaga dito sa pinoydvd.  ;D

Talking about hot news: Cnet reviews top 4 plasma TVs. 8/14/08.
"..the mother of all televisions: the Pioneer PDP-LX6090, which we think is quite possibly the best TV on the planet right now -- although it is rather pricey." Read on..
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030219,49298368,00.htm

"There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 02:42 PM »
Saw a Kuro sa SM appliance yesterday.   I was pretty impressed by its black level and color saturation.   Inky black talaga.    Wow sa PQ !!!  ;)

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 02:50 PM »
KURO at its best ;)

from CNET/ASIA review
"In a nutshell, you are paying for an LX Kuro clone with a near-identical feature set and an impressive 70 to 80 percent performance margin. The PDP-428XG may not be the most affordable 42-incher in the market, but then you're obviously not forking out twice and more to savor the renowned Kuro blacks and reference-grade picture quality. Now that’s a steal and great value for money."

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037588,42041631p,00.htm

Offline thefeeder

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 03:32 PM »
KURO at its best ;)

from CNET/ASIA review
"In a nutshell, you are paying for an LX Kuro clone with a near-identical feature set and an impressive 70 to 80 percent performance margin. The PDP-428XG may not be the most affordable 42-incher in the market, but then you're obviously not forking out twice and more to savor the renowned Kuro blacks and reference-grade picture quality. Now that’s a steal and great value for money."

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037588,42041631p,00.htm

I personally have noticed juddering with the 428xg that was not present on the 50 incher (displays in malls and I've seen it numerous times). I've read a comment that barrister wrote about 1024 x 768 not being able to display a natural 16:9 aspect ratio. This could probably be a contributing factor for the issues I've seen on the 42 inch kuro. I believe that I would rather get a 1366 x 768 screen just to be on the safe side. You're going to spend big money anyway, might as well be in debt for a few more months. haha.

Our resellers haven't posted nor pm'd new prices for last year's kuro line. It's probably still expensive and markups are limited for the shops' profit when compared with the Panasonic Plasma's (w/c are making a killing nowadays). Anyway, this is still the ghost month and some people are careful making big investments...me included hehe. Just hope prices go down by as much as 30 - 35% for the beloved kuros.

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 03:49 PM »
I personally have noticed juddering with the 428xg that was not present on the 50 incher (displays in malls and I've seen it numerous times). I've read a comment that barrister wrote about 1024 x 768 not being able to display a natural 16:9 aspect ratio. This could probably be a contributing factor for the issues I've seen on the 42 inch kuro. I believe that I would rather get a 1366 x 768 screen just to be on the safe side. You're going to spend big money anyway, might as well be in debt for a few more months. haha.

i change the default settings of film mode from standard to advance/smooth under pro adjust>pure cinema>film mode to eliminate motion judder :) this is one feature that kuro has..  the ones displayed in malls are in default settings. if i just have a space for a 50 incher in my room, id definitely didnt hesitated to pick that over the 42's ;) yet i'm still loving my kuro daily:D ;)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/461076357Brochure-PDP-4280HD.pdf
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008 at 03:56 PM by 2ne »

Offline thefeeder

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 05:12 PM »
i change the default settings of film mode from standard to advance/smooth under pro adjust>pure cinema>film mode to eliminate motion judder :) this is one feature that kuro has..  the ones displayed in malls are in default settings. if i just have a space for a 50 incher in my room, id definitely didnt hesitated to pick that over the 42's ;) yet i'm still loving my kuro daily:D ;)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/461076357Brochure-PDP-4280HD.pdf

Thanks for the input. Is that the setting to activate the 24p 72Hz film mode? I also thought that would help, but i'm not sure if the judder that i'm referring to is the same with what the film mode will rectify. Well better test it out myself in i can get a hold of one (with the coop of my wallet). :)

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 05:38 PM »
Thanks for the input. Is that the setting to activate the 24p 72Hz film mode? I also thought that would help, but i'm not sure if the judder that i'm referring to is the same with what the film mode will rectify. Well better test it out myself in i can get a hold of one (with the coop of my wallet). :)

the "advance" purecinema setting will activate the 24p 72Hz for accurate playback of content..the "smooth" setting will activate the 24p 60hz..in my experience with my panel the film mode pure cinema feature will rectify the judder ;)..if im not mistaken, you cannot adjust the PRO ADJUST (where the film mode setting can be change) under OPTIMUM mode..i have to check it pa nalimutan ko na e ;D ;D nakaset na kase ung options ko for viewing preferences..for cable tv viewing im using the optimum mode, then for movie viewing im using the movie mode (customized settings which i got from one of the posters here under the thread PIONEER PLASMA REVIEW), for gaming, im using the game mode. and btw referring to 42's all widescreen tv has an aspect ratio of 16:9, regardless of native resolution (1024 x 768).  see this link  http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=80914.0 cheers!
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2008 at 09:55 AM by 2ne »

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:52 AM »
To all pioneer Kuro 428XG owners, have you had burn-in problems with your plasma when used for gaming.  How about image retention?  How long does it take for IR to disappear?  I plan to get the 42" kuro and it will be used 50% for gaming and 50% for dvd.  Need your advice.  Thanks

Offline 2ne

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 11:27 AM »
To all pioneer Kuro 428XG owners, have you had burn-in problems with your plasma when used for gaming.  How about image retention?  How long does it take for IR to disappear?  I plan to get the 42" kuro and it will be used 50% for gaming and 50% for dvd.  Need your advice.  Thanks

no IR's nor Burn-in ;) just set the seamless orbiter to ON and your good to go

Offline ruth2art

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 12:10 AM »

Since plasma TVs (not only Pioneer Kuro) have evolved during the past 10 years, the issue of burn-in and IR is a already a thing of the past.
You will have to leave your tv on "pause"  continuously for several weeks for those problems to occur.

So, go get your 42 Kuro and start enjoying your games & dvds. ;D ;D ;D

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 07:11 AM »
Thanks for the inputs.  I asked this because I read from another thread that Panasonic PV8 has image retention problem

Offline ruth2art

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Aug 22, 2008 at 11:19 PM »
Pioneer Kuro Plasma TV bags another award:

Pioneer KURO PDP-LX6090 wins European plasma award
"...Pioneer's much fancied KURO range of plasma TVs provided the winner of the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) award European plasma TV for 2008-2009.
The PDP-LX6090 was praised for black levels that resulted in finer details and greater contrast. The effusive judges said: "Thanks to an amazingly low black level – Pioneer calls it KURO – this set's contrast ratio is sky-high. The result is an impression of immense depth and crisp detailing, to a level and quality not seen before on a plasma TV."

Read on..
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/press/news/eisa_pdplx6090.html