Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 367956 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #690 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 04:58 PM »
IF I chose to use the rx-v657/9 or avr 19/2106 does this mean that I have to use an entry-level speakers?
Before, I want to have a separate ht and audio set-up, however I found it to be expensive.  However, I opted to buy a receiver with pre-outs so I can connect a dedicated stereo power amp for stereo listening.

Its just me (my 2 cents), but I recommend at least mid level gears (& up) for mid level speakers. I have heard a P9,000 Q acoustics 1010 speakers driven by a P136,000 Manly Stingray during the HiFi show and my do they sound good. I have tried a top mid end (ML) receiver w/ entry level (EL)  & ML floorstanders (and also EL 5.1 spkr system). Also experienced using EL AVR with EL & ML  floorstanders & also bookshelves.

My conclusion, the key is to match your speaker with gears of the same level or higher not lower. And lets face it, the higher quality ML's were made for users who have graduated from entry levels w/ a more discerning ear or simply have the funds to get a better sounding setup. If you have allotted funds for a ML speaker (w/ the reasons just stated), why compromise on the electronics? You just might not hear your speaker's full potential.  :-[

just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:30 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #691 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:29 PM »
the above was just my 2 cents. If its not enough, lets hear a similar view from an expert (stereophile consultant):

The total system's performance is limited by the resolution of the worst component in the signal path.You may have superb loudspeakers (LS) & source, but they will be wasted w/ a poor quality pre-amp in the signal chain.

Quality matching between components is essential to getting the most sound for your budget.

High-quality loudspeakers at the end of a chain containing a bad sounding component can even make the system sound worse than low quality loudspeakers. The high resolution loudspeakers reveal all the imperfections of the electronics upstream of them.

I've listened to $400 loudspeakers driven by $30,000 worth of electronics & $9000 loudspeakers driven by budget integrated amplifiers. I can state categorically that the electronics & source components are every bit as important as - or more important than - the loudspeakers. Although the loudspeakers significantly influence the overall sound, high quality source components (TT,CDp's) and good electronics (pre amp & power amp) are essential to realizing a musical high end system.

Robert Harley - Complete Guide to High End Audio
page 16

just read the book a few days ago & I guess our views are a bit similar.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:36 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #692 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:58 PM »
I also belong to the "source first" camp.

My CDP = 50K
Speakers = 5K

Now using a cheap AV-710 (1.5K) soundcard as a source.

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #693 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 04:39 PM »
matzter,

what's the ideal speaker (ht & audio) for denon avr2805? It has a nominal impedance of 8 ohms.  I was keen on acquiring the diamond 9s, however they have a 6-ohm rating.  I am planning to use simultaneously the AVR's A and B speakers for bi-amping.

Can the amp be also used as karaoke amplifier since it is rated at 100 watts per channel?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #694 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 05:16 PM »
matzter,

what's the ideal speaker (ht & audio) for denon avr2805? It has a nominal impedance of 8 ohms.  I was keen on acquiring the diamond 9s, however they have a 6-ohm rating.  I am planning to use simultaneously the AVR's A and B speakers for bi-amping.

Can the amp be also used as karaoke amplifier since it is rated at 100 watts per channel?

Simultaneously using speaker A & B is merely biwiring your speakers. Denon 3805 can allot its 6th & 7th channel for bi-amping the fronts. But since Denon divides its 2 channel power rating to 5-7 channels, I honestly dont see the significance of this, since it does not use the all channels driven rating like power amps. It will merely do the same job in dividing its power from the same power source. It will give a slight boost in 5 channel HT but maybe not in music. Power amps pa rin, IMO.

I have only heard the Denons on a few occasions and I do not really know what speaker suits it. I have heard Munskie's setup with B&W 603's & 3805 (nice!) and the 2805 powering a huge, mean looking  >:( paradigm floorstander during the Alabang audio show (probably high ++ model). Truth was hirap yung 2805 during demanding scenes. I was even pointing out these scenes (where the amp was being taxed) to the exhibitor & he agreed.

But I think the 2805's would be good enough for your  602's.

I read somewhere here that using Karaoke for your hifi gear is not recommended.

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2006 at 10:30 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline mr_gearhead

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #695 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 12:09 AM »

hello lakambini,

regarding your denon, using a & b is not bi-amp kasi it shares same power section, so bi-wiring lang yun.. & take a look again theres a "warning" using that at the same time requires higher than 8ohms speaker impedance kundi ako nagkakamali. if you want to bi-wires put it nalang in terminal "a" the two sets of wires sure yun!

in my experienced with denon 2800 series if you want it to perform at its best always with "clean & stable power in any volume level" use a speakers rated nominal impedance 8ohms, 90db sensivity minimum & up... & 6.5 or 7 inches maximum bass driver ng speaker lalo na kung tower type.

with the speaker you've mention i hear its great, but taking into consideration yun concern mo & to what i mentioned above you may check other brand with that kind of specification. simple rule kasi "the easier load to your amp the better it drives the speakers" benefits... the best sound you'll enjoy at any volume level!

you may take a look at our infinity primus 360 rated 8ohms nominal, 92dB sensitivity & power recommended 10-200watts. its good for both music & movies. you could check the reviews & awards given by the ff: stereophile, the absolute sounds, the perfect vision, avguide, hometheaterhifi & cnet. you could see also other brand they find that you could take into consideration in terms of sound quality & budget.

pls... feel free to visit my store: acoustical space 5th level bldg. a sm megamall. look for "rm" the store supervisor to personally assist you. bringing your denon, speaker cable & favorite cds & dvds is the best!

hope i help you somehow..

thanks!

mr_gearhead

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #696 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 11:13 AM »
matzter,
mr gearhead,

The 2805 has preouts, how can I bi-amp my front speakers?  Does the hd970has built-in hdcd decoder?

Will I hear significant sound improvement once the front speakers are bi-amped?

Offline Lucky7

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #697 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 05:21 AM »
I highly recommend the new PSB image series for Denon 2805. The denon/psb is a great combo that will give you a nice warm sound on audio and HT.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #698 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 06:59 AM »
Its just me (my 2 cents), but I recommend at least mid level gears (& up) for mid level speakers. I have heard a P9,000 Q acoustics 1010 speakers driven by a P136,000 Manly Stingray during the HiFi show and my do they sound good. I have tried a top mid end (ML) receiver w/ entry level (EL)  & ML floorstanders (and also EL 5.1 spkr system). Also experienced using EL AVR with EL & ML  floorstanders & also bookshelves.

My conclusion, the key is to match your speaker with gears of the same level or higher not lower. And lets face it, the higher quality ML's were made for users who have graduated from entry levels w/ a more discerning ear or simply have the funds to get a better sounding setup. If you have allotted funds for a ML speaker (w/ the reasons just stated), why compromise on the electronics? You just might not hear your speaker's full potential.  :-[

just my 2 cents.

i strongly agree..the Q speakers impressed me more than the other insanely expensive speakers over at the show. i dont think its not about the manley or the cary but the Q speaker itself. made me thought of replacing my speakers for a while :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #699 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 07:14 AM »
i strongly agree..the Q speakers impressed me more than the other insanely expensive speakers over at the show. i dont think its not about the manley or the cary but the Q speaker itself. made me thought of replacing my speakers for a while :)

sana nabigyan din ng chance ang wharfedale diamond 9.1 na maipares sa more expensive amplification at nang nagkaalaman. kasi nabasa ko noon sa hifi news- yung wharfedale diamond8.1 kaya napabilib sila eh nung pinares with highend amp (markLevinson if memory serves me rite?)

recommended speakers:
budget entry level bookshelf - wharfedale diamond 9.1 / ms902i /b&w601s3
""""""""""""""""""""floorstander - wharfedale diamond 9.5 and 9.6

value for money pound for pound best buy ang wharfedale diamonds

pero kung manalo sa pustahan sa pacquiao/morales or lotto - go for the higher end speakers, just dont forget to match it with the rite amps & source.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2006 at 08:09 AM by oweidah »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #700 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 06:40 PM »
Mga audio gurus, may I know what your opinions are about these particular speaker brands:

JBL
Infinity
Boston Acoustics
Quadruplex (?)
Dynaco
NAD

And what do you think are the stellar performers for each brand?

I'm still trying to learn all about audio coming from absolutely zero knowledge about this so I really appreciate any help and of course your opinions. Thanks!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #701 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 04:21 PM »
The 2805 has preouts, how can I bi-amp my front speakers? 
Will I hear significant sound improvement once the front speakers are bi-amped?

For me, it does, considering I am already using a powerful HK630. But it depends on what you mean by "significant", you might be expecting night & day, but it might not be the case if you are using a high model receiver already. But if you are using low level AVR's w/ pre outs, maybe, but that is subjective and will depend on what your guage of "improvement" means.

Bi-amping with 2 power amps is still best, but for receivers, simply connect the power amp like you would do normally. then remove the jumpers of your speakers, connect the HF to the weaker amp, then the LF to the higher amp. BUT there is a risk that it wont sound good, tsambahan ito actually. If it doesnt sound good, just use the power amps alone.

I would, in theory, recommend an all channels driven (ACD) AVR for bi-amping ,cuz :

1.) the power amp's rating is also all channels driven

2.) power ratings should not be too far away, and 2 channels driven amps usually measure in peak output (JEITA), not FTC output. How will you know where to put your LF or HF if the power ratings of the AVR & amp are measured differently? Look for your receiver's FTC power rating (xxw, 20hz-20khz, 0.0xTHD) ACD AVR's are always FTC rated.

3.) 2 channels driven amps that share their amps to 5-7 channels are erratic in their power rating, they can provide 120+w for stereo & dip to 40w or lower when they are dividing the power into 7 channels. Ergo, how can you decide where to place the HF & LF if the basic rule is to put the LF on the more powerful amp?

W/ ACD avr's, you can be sure that the power rating given by the amps are constant.

Just my thoughts.

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 04:37 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline deboy_79

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
match 5.1 set up for HT
« Reply #702 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 10:33 PM »
Query lang sana for suggestions to my Pioneer RXV-505S amps f anu mas bbgay na set up 5.1 speakers lng? I'm new here...would a euros 6 system satisfy me? tnx

Offline EJJ

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
SPEAKER SET UP
« Reply #703 on: Dec 15, 2006 at 02:01 PM »
Magandang Araw sa inyo!

Bago lang ako dito sa forum na ito... i need help regarding my HT set up.

I have a denon 1603 for my AVR and i'm planning to buy either US Audio 660B or DTX 9.5T for the front speakers.  I'm using Pioneer speakers (forgot the model) for my surround.

Ano kaya magandang front speakers?  May suggestions ba kayo para sa settings ng AVR?

maraming salamat sa inyo

EJJ

Offline scofield

• Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
« Reply #704 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 04:26 PM »
anong speaker kaya yung naka display sa SPECTRA? nakalimutan ko yung brand eh. color brown, yun ba yung epos?
Proud user of AVR135

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #705 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 10:26 AM »
Epos M12.2 I think.

Offline spectraav

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #706 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:08 AM »
anong speaker kaya yung naka display sa SPECTRA? nakalimutan ko yung brand eh. color brown, yun ba yung epos?
sir
epos 12.2 yun

Offline scofield

• Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
« Reply #707 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:13 AM »
sir ok ba yun speaker na eposm12.2 na yun?

magkano ba yun ngayon?
Proud user of AVR135

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #708 on: Feb 01, 2007 at 02:27 PM »
For both HT and Stereo setup and small to medium sized rooms,  I would suggest the Castle Speakers:  Richmond or the Compacts.  All made in England and 1 speaker set for both HT/Stereo application.  You wont go wrong on this as I myself own a Castle speaker.

Offline chadrhix15

• Apprentice
  • chadrhix
  • Liked:
« Reply #709 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 01:12 PM »
what horn type tweeter brand ang ok ang quality and price mga gurus? for thanks in advance.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #710 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 10:59 PM »
anong alternative natin sa bose acoustimass na cube like speakers?

do other brands have these already and where are they purchased locally?

thanks

need it for a new LCD wall mounted display of my aunt

gusto nya yung malinis eh

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #711 on: Mar 21, 2007 at 01:13 PM »
Kobe, click here reply 774.

Acoustimass alternative? definitely. Great performance too IMO, also great price.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #712 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 11:52 AM »
Try the Castle Compact Series.. Inquire from Audio Amplfied.  Great for both HT and Audio.

anong alternative natin sa bose acoustimass na cube like speakers?

do other brands have these already and where are they purchased locally?

thanks

need it for a new LCD wall mounted display of my aunt

gusto nya yung malinis eh

Offline Kait

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #713 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 09:00 AM »
pa recommend po ng ok na speaker at the same time affordable...my nakita kami JAMO ung tatak naka sale 7990 oks kaya un?we have a receiver na kc sony 6.1 channel

tnx in advance

Offline Lantis

• Collector
  • Dattebayo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #714 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 10:31 AM »
hello po sa mga gurus...

I am sick with SARS because of reading pinoydvd threads and I'm starting to build up my very own HT hehehe.. I already bought a Toshiba 32WL66E and a Pioneer 696AVS, now I am hunting for speakers and ampli.. very newbie po!  I was browsing on the threads and I am just looking for satellite speakers kaso lang the old posts are, well kinda old na hehehe some of the links are not working.. maliit lang yung room maybe 5 x 5 meters?  Also an ampli to match the speakers.. may tanong pala ko dito.. why do I need an ampli if I have an analog 5.1 output on my DVD player?  Hindi ba pwede isaksak na lang don hehehe... saka sa ampli pala I am planning to buy an HD-A2, so an HDMI connection would be a-ok.  Budget for amp and speakers around 25k.. or maybe more depending sa SARS... thanks in advance!  ;D
Back from the grave!

Offline renski

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
What Speaker...???
« Reply #715 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 01:23 PM »
sirs newbie here. Tanong lang po, anong wharf speaker kaya ang pwede i match sa Yamaha RXV559? or kahit anong brand ng speaker na ok i match sa 559? parang naninipisan ako sa tunog e. thanks po.  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: What Speaker...???
« Reply #716 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 02:53 PM »
They say the warm sounding wharfes synergize well with the Yamaha's.

Try the Wharfe 9 HCP system

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #717 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 03:50 PM »
good day to all!

still in the stage of research, i bumped in to
a great bargain for an HK AVR 235 receiver!!!
     Now with the receiver at hand, im pressured
into buying at least a subwoofer & a pair of BS
initially for my Stereo Listening.
     Im torn between the following subs :
        1.) Velodyne VX-10
        2.) Velodyne CHT-10R
        3.) Synergy Sub-10
(i read somewhere in this forum that a 10 inch subwoofer
 is perfect for an HT/Audio setup, hence all are 10 incher)

can you please enlighten me with the price & review of these
subwoofers?

as for the BS, im leaning toward a pair of Wharfes 9 series...
(this would later be my rear speakers when i have a
 new budget for a pair of front & center speakers.)

comments & suggestion would be highly appreciated...

thanks!

Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #718 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 01:45 PM »
Velodyne VX is their entry level while the CHT is their mid end model (the 1000w SPL series is their high end). I have heard the VX10 s2 but not long enough to comment on it. I  also have the CHT-10 & CHT12r before. And in my experience, I noticed the difference between entry levels & the mid level speakers (speakers to subs), aside from price of course, is...

the refinement.

The mid level models will have more quality bass, not just loud but tighter & more accurate bass. I would usually suggest that you get the mid levels right away to lessen SARS (upgrade fever), since for me, the sub is the star of the HT. Coming from entry level gears before, my first mid level upgrade in fact was... my sub.

But if you are not picky & loud is all you want (and you are sure you wont get SARS), Entry level will do.

just my 2 cents  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2007 at 10:31 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #719 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 10:16 AM »
thanks for ur comment & input sir matzter!

btw, have u auditioned a klipsch synergy sub?
i listened to 1 in spectra & loved what i heard! ;D

but i think i must audition velodynes muna before
passing the judgement....

ps:
cant say im immune to SARS!!!
hehehehehe......
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....