Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 367890 times)

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #1020 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 04:53 PM »
Brod Vic,
Do you have Jamo speakers, specifically the model S606-HCS3?  I saw one at SM ACA and it sounds okay to me.  Baka mas mura sa yo. TIA.

Jamo S606-HCS3 black is available at cash P16200.

For order, call Sights and Sounds 634-1789 to 90. Mobile 0917-5413491. Visit Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza.

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1021 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM »
Can someone give a review on Paradigm speakers?  I was considering whether to get B&W or Paradigm speakers for the front and center...

TIA

Which particular model are you considering?  B&W and Paradigm have lots of speakers to choose from.  And what receiver would you plan to pair it up with?

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1022 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 11:47 PM »
for those who don't have the space for big floorstanders check out orb audio. small speakers, big sound. you won't believe the sound that comes out of these small orbs. you'd think they were floorstanders. no other satellite system comes close. if anyone's interested to audition them text me at 0917-3273083. :)

Offline japlog

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM »
@Milken...bro I am planning to pair it with denon 1909...B&W 684 or Paradigm's Monitor 9...
Can someone give a review on Paradigm speakers?  I was considering whether to get B&W or Paradigm speakers for the front and center...

TIA

Which particular model are you considering?  B&W and Paradigm have lots of speakers to choose from.  And what receiver would you plan to pair it up with?

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 12:10 AM »
@Milken...bro I am planning to pair it with denon 1909...B&W 684 or Paradigm's Monitor 9...

TIA

@japlog, I've auditioned both B&W 684 and Paradigm Monitor 9 using Denon 1508.  You can back read page 30 for my review.  Basically, both speakers are good and they just sound different.  It really depends on your listening preference (whether you like clear and sharp sounds which some may find harsh and bright, or warm and laid back sound which some may find the voice not clear and slightly muddled).  Audio is very subjective.  Buy the one which sounds best to you.  These technical facts might be helpful to you:

1. Paradigm have higher sensitivity as compared to B&W so they are easier to drive when using low powered receiver.  This means that you're likely to hear more details in Paradigm Monitor 9 than B&W 684 when using the same low powered receiver (such as 1508).  I consider Denon 1909 a low to mid powered receiver.
2. B&W floorstanders are power-hungry and harder to drive than Paradigm.  So a high current receiver or receiver with power amp is ideal to bring out the potential of these speakers.  But they will still sound good in low powered receiver but it's not yet the best of them.  Kumbaga pwede pa gumanda ang sounds.

Unless your heart is already fixed on 684 and Monitor 9, you might want to check out Monitor 7 which has almost the same sound characteristics as Monitor 9 except for the bigger soundstage (depends on your room size).  If you like B&W 684, we may want to check out 685 (bookshelf) since they almost sound the same except for the bigger soundstage and slightly better imaging of 684.  If you really like a B&W floorstander, try to audition B&W 683 if it's within your budget and decide if the improvement in sound is worth the extra cash.  Good luck!

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1025 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 09:11 AM »
what's a good speaker system for the YAMAHA 633 receiver?  Be using them sa Condo ko lang  - -living room area.  how much din if ever. thanks

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 10:48 AM »
what's a good speaker system for the YAMAHA 633 receiver?  Be using them sa Condo ko lang  - -living room area.  how much din if ever. thanks

You need warm sounding speakers for Yamaha front sounding receivers.

If you are on the budget, you may consider Wharfedale: bookshelf 9.1 Front, 9cs center, 9dfs surround, and SW150 powered sub. If you can extend your budget, you may consider B&W: 685 Front, HTM62 center, 686 rear, ASW608 powered sub.

Offline gallery

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Society Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #1027 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 05:18 PM »
Sir Vic

Do you have Monitor Audio Bronze BR2? Pls. PM Cash Price and CC 6mos....Tnx
/ Onkyo 1100 / B&W 683 S2 / B&W 685 S2 / B&W HTM61 S2 / B&W ASW610XP /

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1028 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 12:47 AM »
You need warm sounding speakers for Yamaha front sounding receivers.

If you are on the budget, you may consider Wharfedale: bookshelf 9.1 Front, 9cs center, 9dfs surround, and SW150 powered sub. If you can extend your budget, you may consider B&W: 685 Front, HTM62 center, 686 rear, ASW608 powered sub.

Sir how much for this set : Wharfedale: bookshelf 9.1 Front, 9cs center, 9dfs surround, and SW150 powered sub

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1029 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 02:18 PM »
Sir how much for this set : Wharfedale: bookshelf 9.1 Front, 9cs center, 9dfs surround, and SW150 powered sub

bookshelf 9.1 Front P5500.
9cs center P4500.
9dfs surround P4500.
SW150 powered sub P9K.

Free Sound and Vision Home-theater Tune-up Disc. FREE a set of Christmas Concert DVD and CD.

Offline moks

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1030 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 10:32 PM »
What brand of speaker cables to match with the mission mv series and denon receiver? what cable can tame the treble of the missions?

Offline vintageDbest

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 07:09 AM »
i'm a freshman to this site .i just wu'd like to have the others opinion of my  initial set up HT.
what wu'd be the best combination of speaker for  the ff:

yamaha rxv620a av
yamaha cd player cdx-620
dvd pioneer dv533k
sony trinitron 29 semi flat screen

Tell me what brands are available for sale in the P.I. and I can make a suggestion what's better.  If Polk Audio is available there, buy the LSi series, nothing else other than the vintage Polks.  I own numerous sets of Polks, Klipsch, and Haflers as well as numerous brands preamps and power amps. I don't sell, collecting is my hobby.

Ed

Offline vintageDbest

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1032 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 09:52 AM »
What brand of speaker cables to match with the mission mv series and denon receiver? what cable can tame the treble of the missions?

Speaker cables are just a fad, like snake oil business. The looks and fanciness are just seller's business strategies.  Any copper cable at least 16gauge is good.  Look for silver cables or silver coated copper cables because the best conductor is silver.  The secret of good sound is good a preamplifier, good power amps, good interconnect cables, good speaker cables and good speakers.  Silver cables with gold terminals is the way to go.  Also clean your contacts (new or old) with TPC (The Perfect Connection) wipes. TPC improves every electrical contacts.  It increases the contact by penetrating to base metal, removing and preventing oxidation.  It will improve your pictures, sound on stereo, prolong life of your batteries and optimize computer performance.  These improvements are noticeable once you wipe both the mating contacts surfaces of your equipment which will last for months.  Good sound and picture comes from clean surfaces for good contacts. Not unless your contact surfaces, jacks, terminals are plated with gold, it becomes dirty and oxidized thus limiting the connectivity and performance.  Also, drive hard-to-drive speakers with "High Current" amplifiers (ex. Yamaha MX-1, Hafler DH-500, vintage Onkyo Integras, etc) Most of these vintage power amps are good to feed the power-hungry speakers.  You will be surprised to hear your sleeping speakers wake up once these monsters drive them.  I have a modified Hafler DH-500 that will wake up any hard-to-drive speakers out there.  Of course I spent 15000 to replace the capacitors, power cable, RCA jacks.  Any vintage amps out there that are about 20 years old need to be recapped due to the capacitors are drying out and besides the newer capacitors are sonically better than the old ones.  THEY JUST DON'T MAKE GOOD EQUIPMENT THAT THEY USED TO DO ANYMORE.  You can tell from their weight.  Newer electronics now are mostly designed for mass market, lots of shortcuts.  Go vintage, recap with Blackgates, Vishay/Sprague, Mundorf, Solens, V-Caps, Audionote, etc. and if you can afford it, you won't be sorry.  Enjoy!

Offline vertebra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1033 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 06:58 AM »
I'm a noob and i was able to get a denon 1709 from your shang branch. I'm starting out on an ht system thats on a   slightly tight budget, whats the  req. set up can you reccommend w/o sacrificing quality? and how much will this cost? thanks

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 04:27 PM »
If you are looking for a great sounding systems that won't cost an arm and leg, why don't you check out the different models available from Polk Audio. Some suggestions:
1) RM705 - 5 pack speaker system with an active 8 inch sub woofer -you can get great sounds with a tight budget
2) RM95 - 5 pack speaker system & PSW110 -10 inch sub woofer - better sounds, but need a bigger budget
3) TSi400 (tower speakers) & TSI100 (bookshelf speakers) & CS10 (center) - fantastic sounding speakers that won't break your budget.
4) Surroundbar - 5 channels, 1 speaker, 0 clutter  and PSW110 - 10 inch sub woofer - If you have a small space and don't want to hang rear speakers, then the surroundbar is a good alternative to the conventional 5.1 speaker system lay out.

check out WWW.POLKAUDIO.COM for more details.

Polk Audio Speakers are available in better home theater stores. Let me know if you need more information.

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1035 on: Nov 30, 2008 at 02:35 PM »
sir how much for the denon 1909..what speaker can best match this receiver?on a budget din..can't afford those high end speakers

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1036 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 12:45 PM »
sir how much for the denon 1909..what speaker can best match this receiver?on a budget din..can't afford those high end speakers

if on a budget, you can't go wrong with the wharfedale diamond 9 series. very affordable. and good audio quality. can sell you the wharfs and the denon. pm me if interested. :)

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 11:01 PM »
To AV shop
What speakers and receivers do you sell? How can I get in touch with you, can you send me your contact details

Offline vintageDbest

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1038 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 03:52 PM »
if on a budget, you can't go wrong with the wharfedale diamond 9 series. very affordable. and good audio quality. can sell you the wharfs and the denon. pm me if interested. :)

Also, if you have a tight budget, try your reputable local speaker builders. Use a good brand raw drivers and tweeters.  I remembered in the early 70's that there are a lot of excellent speaker builders in Iloilo City as you can hear it from their passenger "Jeeps". I had a friend who had his two-way speakers custom-built by one of the great designers and electronics expert who went to Central Radio Electronics School (CRES).  Everything is custom-designed, the cabinet, crossover network, using a raw driver and a Pioneer PT-6 horn tweeter. Up to now, I can't still forget how that set of homemade speakers sounds so tight and crisp.  One day, I'll plan a trip to Iloilo City and have me do a custom-built speaker/s by their most reputable speaker builders. I have numerous U.S. made speakers but I am sure our talented local builders are good if not better than the now famous brands.  All they need is good parts and trust them. If you can find European brands like Vifa, they are excellent speaker manufacturers.  Try your trusted local experts, you will be surprised!

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1039 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 02:17 AM »
which bookshelf speaker pair would be best suited to be an all-rounder with different music genres?

Paradigm Atom Monitor
Polk Audio RTi A1
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2009 at 02:18 AM by flak-jacket »

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1040 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 12:14 PM »
which bookshelf speaker pair would be best suited to be an all-rounder with different music genres?

Paradigm Atom Monitor
Polk Audio RTi A1
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Although we have both Paradigm Atom and Wharfedale 9.1, we choose 9.1 over Atom because of value for money. The Atom has transparency and all the excitement to deliver music and movie, but 9.1 is not that far off from Atom considering that 9.1 has price point advantage.

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 12:28 PM »

Paradigm Atom Monitor
Polk Audio RTi A1
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Before you decide on a bookshelf speaker. Just read the review of a customer who purchased the Polkaudio RTi A1 from Amazon:
Review # 1
I also own the previous generation RTi6 bookshelf speakers by Polk and was able to do a direct comparison. The 6s have larger drivers so their slight mid-bass advantage is to be expected, but in all other ways the RTi A1 is an improvement. The sound projects further outside of the cabinets, or rather the cabinets disappear and throw a great, wide sound-field outward. Instruments sound like they should, male voices aren't nasal or chesty, and the highs are soothing rather than sibilant and tinny (as the previous RTis could get under pressure). I have never heard a speaker this nice at a price this low.

Review # 2
i have had these in just over a week and with the hours i have played them i would say that i am entering the break in stage. right out of the box they sounded a little bright, now they sound a little more laid back and smoother. most reviewers on here pair their speakers with a receiver and a sub. i would suggest that you use neither. in stereo i would suggest you use more superior hardware to get more from these gems,such as a good amp,a preamp and a good cd player,or turntable. now for my review.i listened to the polks well into the late hours of the night each night. as my preamp and amp got warmer the polks fell deeper into the sound stage as the sound stage got wider. i turned the lights off and i was conviced they were full range speakers.from the sometimes thunderous bottom end to realistic midband and the smooth highs.as the hours went on i plunged deeper into my cd collection,and the sound stopped comming from the speakers and were placed in locations in the air between and the outer edges the speakers. when i kept on looking at each speaker it did not appear that sound was comming from them. this has happened to me before on a larger scale with my legacy signatures (130lbs each beasts , a little over five feet tall and almost 4grand more).will downing's pleasures of the night (cd) is my usual reference cd for male voices and his voice came so close to me in that center stage i know i could have slapped him if i had reached out my hand. maxwell's cd embroya is my bottom end test cd and wow the gut they had was tremendous. i continued to listen to more cds from jazz to some classic r&b and classical and they got better and better. i love'm. and by the way did i say they were a very good looking pair of speakers.

I do not know the prices of the Paradigm Atom Monitor or the Wharfedale Daimond 9.1, but I can tell you that the Polkaudio RTi A1 is very affordable.

Offline watson's box

• Collector
  • Liked:
Help choosing a pure audio speaker for Tube amp
« Reply #1042 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 06:55 PM »
Need your help guys, what's a good speaker to match with a tube amp? (14w per chl) Pure audio of course for the application.
Floor standers of bookshelf would be ok as long as it would not be too expensive.

Here are some of those that i have looked into:
Klipsch rb51
Klipsch B3
Paradigm atom
Mission m31i, m32
Polkaudio TSI 100, 200
Wharfedale 9.2, 9.1

I already have a wharfedale set up for my HT, i think i would want a different flavor for this.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Help choosing a pure audio speaker for Tube amp
« Reply #1043 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:01 PM »
With 14 wpc, look for speakers with high sensitivity then select which one sounds best to you.

Offline watson's box

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1044 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:24 PM »
With 14 wpc, look for speakers with high sensitivity then select which one sounds best to you.

how high is "high sensitivity"? say 89db?  :)

Offline gisan925

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 09:25 PM »
dont forget to audition Monitor Audio speakers :)
Onkyo875 PV80 MA RS6  BD55 Pio610 RA03 Azur 640C Yaqin MC10T

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1046 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 09:27 PM »
how high is "high sensitivity"? say 89db?  :)

That should be a good start.

Offline watson's box

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1047 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 09:34 PM »
alrighty, il do that :) thanks for the inputs

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 11:45 PM »
Try the Polkaudio TSi100 or TSi200 bookshelf speakers. They are very efficient, you will not need a lot of power to drive these speakers. Perfect for tube amps. The TSi series are also very affordable.

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM »
i agree, go for polk audio. the tsi 100 and 200 are very good and are very affordable.  if you have some extra cash the polk rti a1 and rti a3 are even better than the tsi 100 and 200. i love the rti series.  i can give you good deals on the rti and tsi series. :)