Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 367886 times)

Offline tonetagabaler

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #1080 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 07:14 PM »
Although we have both Paradigm Atom and Wharfedale 9.1, we choose 9.1 over Atom because of value for money. The Atom has transparency and all the excitement to deliver music and movie, but 9.1 is not that far off from Atom considering that 9.1 has price point advantage.

ITO SUPER TRUE based on my experience.. na test ko yan sa store ni sir vic sabay kabilaan, paradigm atom kukunin ko pero sa wharfe 9.1 ako napapunta nakatipid pa.. yung polk na bookshelf (worth $299 plus tax & below) na try ko na yan sa mga electronic store(canada) mas gusto ko pa ang wharfe 9.1, ung klipch parang paradigm atom tumunog.. matinis ang sound..  pero di lang sila naglalayo ng sound quality kung kagaya kong normal na tao lang makikinig..

pero pagdating sa price dun na magtatalo..
price ng wharfe 9.1 P5500 = $117.. walang tatalo jan promise sa VALUE..
kung medyo duda, you can check price sa mga u.s. electronics store ng polk, klipsch, paradigm.. etc...

You will never go wrong with 9.1 kung tight budget ka or lets say your looking for an entry level HT setup..
just my 2 cents..

Offline hammer0412

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1081 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 04:51 PM »
I've been in and out of the HT hobby since the 90's. I can confidently say that the Wharfedale 9.1's are an excellent choice, probably the best choice for people on a budget. Full stop. :)

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Recommend a Speaker for Marantz
« Reply #1082 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 06:15 PM »
Gentlemen

Pls recommend ideal speakers for Marantz av receiver to be used primarily for music/stereo listening.

TIA

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #1083 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 07:27 PM »
Gentlemen

Pls recommend ideal speakers for Marantz av receiver to be used primarily for music/stereo listening.

TIA

Bro,

Please state ang price range.

edwin
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1084 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 09:48 PM »
Gentlemen

TIA

If your just want to listen to music, consider the Polkaudio TSI400, TSI500 or if your budget will allow, the Polkaudio RTi A7, all floorstanding speakers.

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1085 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 01:44 PM »
Bro,

Please state ang price range.

edwin

20k sir, with this budget, is it possible to acquire a sweet-sounding stereo speakers?

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #1086 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 02:56 PM »
20k sir, with this budget, is it possible to acquire a sweet-sounding stereo speakers?

The Polk Audio TSi300 floorstanding speakers can fit into your budget.

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1087 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM »

yup. check out the tsi 300 or the rti a3. both sound pretty good. :) sent you pm :)

Offline ntlopez

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Center Speaker recommendations
« Reply #1088 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 01:02 PM »
Hi All,

I own a Sony DAV-DZ850KKW home theater system that I purchaed together with my Sony 46' Sony Bravia LCD TV almost 2 years ago...

I am having a hard time hearing the dialogue except when I turn the volume up a notch but at the same time, it will make the L-R and surround speakers too loud :(

I am thinking of replacing my center speaker, do you have any recommendations? Is there anything I should take note of when buying one? (e.g. compatibility issues, etc.). Here's the link to my home theater specs...

http://www.sonystyle.com.hk/ss/product/av/dav_dz850kw_e.jsp

As I do not have a lot of space for the speaker, size will also matter.
While browsing the net, I am considering this one from Yamaha, model NS-C225 2-Way Acoustic Suspension Center Channel Speaker...

Please let me know your comments and suggestions..

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Center Speaker recommendations
« Reply #1089 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 01:13 PM »
IMHO, whatever brand or model, I would recommend woofer size no less than 4", the bigger the better ...  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline ntlopez

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1090 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 07:45 PM »
Sir, problem ko kasi yung space. If you look at the HT pic, yung original center speaker niya just sits on top of the dvd player. So I am only looking for a speaker that is something similar or slightly bigger in size.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1091 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 08:24 PM »
Sir, problem ko kasi yung space. If you look at the HT pic, yung original center speaker niya just sits on top of the dvd player. So I am only looking for a speaker that is something similar or slightly bigger in size.

bose has similar in size...  ::)  ::)  ::) but male vocal will tend to sound thinner ...  ;D  :D ;D

MHO.. :D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1092 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 08:59 PM »
No matter what we recommend, it would not timbre-match the center of your Sony HTIB. Are you fine with that?

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1093 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 09:33 AM »
The most ideal set-up for HT is the three front speakers be of the same characteristics for timbre matching.  This means that a car will sound the same as it pans across the screen.

Is there any settings on the DVD player for speaker volume per channel?  You might want to play with that first. 

If you really need a center channel... make sure that your DVD can handle it. HITB usually have less power than stated.  Also keep it mind that it will not timbre match with your left and right speakers.  Perhaps your center channel is just defective. You might want SOny to check it out if it is under warranty.

Offline ntlopez

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1094 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM »
Guys,
Thanks for your all valuable inputs.
I don't think the center channel is defective. Dialogue is clear. THe problem is that I can turn the volume up if I want to hear the dialogue, pero kapag action scenes na, galit na si wifey dahil sobrang lakas na nung mga surround speakers and woofer so I have to turn the volume back down again :)
I did try to adjust the volume per channel (full volume for center, half-full for the rest), but I guess I will just have to try to play around with it again and see if it does it.
BTW, I have a dumb question pala on adjusting the volume per channel, will the adjustment be applied only to the dvd player? my ps3 is also connected to the dvd player via optical cable. If i play blu-ray movies from my ps3, will the volume levels be the same as the dvd player?
And if I do decide to buy a new center speaker, would you recommend buying a similar brand (sony) for timbre-matching?

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #1095 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 03:26 PM »

BTW, I have a dumb question pala on adjusting the volume per channel, will the adjustment be applied only to the dvd player? my ps3 is also connected to the dvd player via optical cable. If i play blu-ray movies from my ps3, will the volume levels be the same as the dvd player?
And if I do decide to buy a new center speaker, would you recommend buying a similar brand (sony) for timbre-matching?

Using PS3 as your BD player? Yes it can match the sound level of your DVD player. You can adjust the volume output on your PS3.

Why buying another set of center speaker? This is HTIB there are limitations. If you want a full scale sounding HT try to buy a separate AV Amp and a full range speakers but it seems your preference is space. That is your limitation, it's against law of  Physics, naturally small speakers tend to have low timbre.

Bose Speakers are very good on this set-up. However you need a proper adjustment and location of your Acoustimas (Bass module)module to fully blend in all your speakers. For me the sound doesn't justify the price but that's the easiest solution for the space you want with acceptable sound.

In wall speakers is also one of the solutions for your space problem. If you really want a good sounding HT system you need a good Amp and sets of full range speakers.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1096 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 06:42 PM »
sorry if its OT, but are bose acoustimas really not that ok?

i remember that i posted this a couple of months ago and a lot of people suggested that i replace them with wharfdales and thats exactly what i did

however, for sentimental reasons, I kept our bose speakers, its an old acoustimas, slightly bigger than the current ones but still a cube in its own right

ill try to post pics as soon as i get clear shots of them, this is what our old ht setup used as fronts, until we upgraded our receiver from a pioneer to a denon 1908,  :)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1097 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 08:02 PM »

i remember that i posted this a couple of months ago and a lot of people suggested that i replace them with wharfdales and thats exactly what i did

however, for sentimental reasons, I kept our bose speakers, its an old acoustimas, slightly bigger than the current ones but still a cube in its own right

ill try to post pics as soon as i get clear shots of them, this is what our old ht setup used as fronts, until we upgraded our receiver from a pioneer to a denon 1908,  :)
Bose are not that bad. They are just compared to other Brands with the price range. They are just over price. If space is not a concern, of course better buy standard size speakers with cheaper cost. Bose Acoustimass and Lifestyle models are built for condo's or tight space for the people who can afford it (let me reprise my statement for those willing to spend that much) ;D I guess nobody can beat the sound of the Jewel speakers with that size???
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1098 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 08:04 PM »

Use them for sorround or sorround back speakers they are really great and almost invisible (Space saving).
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2009 at 08:48 PM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1099 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 08:52 PM »
Your problem is just your Center Speaker right? For you it doesn't sound that loud compared to the front speakers and can't hear dialogues clearly. Well since these are sets of speakers and comes with the package they should be match. Try below solutions:

1.Locate the center speakers below or above your  Monitor as much as possible their location  should be level to your ears right on your listening position.
2. Position them close to back wall
3. Check the polarity of speaker cable + to red – black or white
4. Adjust the Speaker volume set-up at least +5 to center only.
5. Check if you correctly set-up your receiver amp to decode automatically whether DD or DTS

Just my 5 cents

Guys,
Thanks for your all valuable inputs.
I don't think the center channel is defective. Dialogue is clear. THe problem is that I can turn the volume up if I want to hear the dialogue, pero kapag action scenes na, galit na si wifey dahil sobrang lakas na nung mga surround speakers and woofer so I have to turn the volume back down again :)
I did try to adjust the volume per channel (full volume for center, half-full for the rest), but I guess I will just have to try to play around with it again and see if it does it.

odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Wax777

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1100 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 08:28 AM »
Sir sanjay pa pm naman ng price ng polk RTi series, the a3 and a5.
and also the TSi series 200 300 and 400

TY. and the place and contact for visiting.

Offline Dorgas

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1101 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 02:44 PM »
Good day, ;D

Sa ngayon nagpaplano ako mag set-up 5.1 system, nag halungkat ako sa bodega namin at may nakita ako na 2pcs JBL LX-500.

Are these speakers any good? Parang ang luma na kasi heheh inaamag (literal) na sa bodega namin, may nakita din ako receiver pioneer kaso old skul na, kasi alang optical saka hdmi input, laser disc w/ cd  ang player na kasama ;D

Kung ok tong speaker na to bawas din sa gagastusin ko heheh, inggit kasi ako sa mga set-up ng mga tao dito, and theres nothing much to do sa HTIB ko

Offline pogzz505

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1102 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 09:23 AM »
ngayon ko lang nalaman na dapat pala same brand ang center and front speakers para mag-blend ang sound..

i'm using mordaunt classic floor standing front and jamo center..napansin ko nga masyado matining ang sound ng jamo center..( using yamaha rxv995 )..

problem is wala ng available na mordaunt center classic ngayon..ang meron karnival and avant models..

dapat ba same model din para maganda ang blending ng sound? or same brand will do?
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009 at 09:26 AM by pogzz505 »
Yamaha 663, Wharfe 9.1, 9cs, 9sr, Velodyne, Egreat m31b, Ps3

Offline chyll2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1103 on: May 02, 2009 at 11:32 PM »
Guys, pwede rin ba recommend dito ng Sub?

anyway eto po setup dito sa bahay:
meron kami Pioneer Receiver
eto po para sa full specs
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/PioneerReceivers/ci.VSX-518-K.Kuro?tab=A

then we got a pair of JBL RM8 speaker.
for specs:
http://www.sanookgadget.com/product.detail_0_en_1667688

we are currently looking for a good subwoofer. price range is 10 to 15k sana.
im hearing good things about polk audio brands.

and also, important rin kung san mas mura bumili.

thanks  ;D

Offline 1great

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1104 on: May 06, 2009 at 08:05 PM »
Please check the following thread:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=82085.210

Meron sub si pilyo168/Marco na mga P5K lang that can go to 105db+ in output.

Good Luck!

Offline tebenets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1105 on: May 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM »
mga bossing:

1. may dealer ba dito ng DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY? kursunada ko kasi yung pro cinema 800 package niya.

2. ok ba ang wharf diamond 9.1 pang front for a big area? parang bitin kasi. nakita ko kasi yung 9.3 and it's HUGE. nakalula siya pag nasetup na. area isesetup ko is 1.5 meter lng. kaso sobrang open yung area. meaning wala ako nilagay na divider between living and dining area.   

3. ok ba daiichi speakers?

btw, magiistart pa lang ako magsetup. A/V receiver choices ko are Onkyo or Denon. Kung may NAD, ok din. speakers choices ko are Definitive or Wharf (puede din kayo magsuggest ng brand pareho priced ng wharf).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009 at 11:33 PM by tebenets »

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #1106 on: May 13, 2009 at 12:22 AM »
check this thread out http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=3694.1410

speakers by a-audio. i heard the proac clone bookshelf in action and it sounded really big for its size a real steal and value for money.
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline bloodlord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1107 on: Jun 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM »
Hi there! Newbie here.

Went to JBL Acoustic Studio awhile ago, and auditioned the Infinity Primus P362 floorstanding speakers. Sounded great with an HK 40x2 amp. The salesperson recommended I get Hk 3390, 80x2 rms amp since it's for home audio setup.

I listen to jazz, bossa nova, new wave, rock, and also metal. Kailangan ba floorstanding speakers? Or pwede bookshelf type? Ang galing kasi pag double midbass hindi bitin.

Also, considering the price of Infinity P362 (28,600) and HK 3390 (19,000), may ibang brands pa ba na same or better quality with the same price range? I'm coming from the car audio hobby by the way, using Focal VR3 3-way :) I expect a very lively and realistic sound from speakers.  :)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1108 on: Jun 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM »
Also, considering the price of Infinity P362 (28,600) and HK 3390 (19,000), may ibang brands pa ba na same or better quality with the same price range? I'm coming from the car audio hobby by the way, using Focal VR3 3-way :) I expect a very lively and realistic sound from speakers.  :)

Suggestion, if you're gunning for Infinity and HK. Give avshop a PM since he carries both brands. Maybe he can give you a better price.

I own the P362's myself, for home theater, but have also tried them for stereo listening and they sounded pretty adequate without a subwoofer.

You might have to stick with the P362 if you want something 3-way. The next thing to it would be the P152, which is only a 2-way bookshelf with a single 5.25-inch driver. The P162 isn't carried by distributors locally. I got my pair of P162's from the US.

Offline bloodlord

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1109 on: Jun 21, 2009 at 11:54 PM »
okay, thank goodness space isnt a problem in my room. it's crowded enough already so i dont care  ;D Hmm, im thinking lang, madami kasi discounted stuff, like mga stores in shangri-la. There's a focal floorstanding pair there, i forgot the price na pero it's  50% off!!!! maybe you could recommend speakers that are on sale right now? :)

OT question.. sa car kasi pwede lagyan hpf yung midbass, how do you do this for home audio/theatre? sa receiver? or sa passive crossover na mismo ng speaker set? :)