Author Topic: LCD TV CHOICE...SONY OR SAMSUNG?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline titoteko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LCD TV CHOICE...SONY OR SAMSUNG?
« on: Jan 13, 2012 at 03:13 PM »
if you have the bucks to spend which flat panel will you choose?

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: LCD TV CHOICE...SONY OR SAMSUNG?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 05:38 PM »
Samsung ako, kasi samsung din ang gumagawa ng panel ng SOny eh hehe!  ;D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline melbs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 08:52 AM »
i used to choose samsung over sony for its price and as what tempter says, the panel being shared by samsung and sony. however after 4 years of owning samsung products, i might switch back to sony due to reliability.

dec 2007 i got myself an R81 37 inch lcd from samsung, no problems until last week, suddenly no picture.
sept 2011 i got my self a PS51D550 which was defective after only a few days (see post of PS51D550 thread).
my dad's 2 sony lcds (a 32 inch and a 46 inch), both bought before my R81 are still up and running.

worse part about samsung is my R81 is no longer supported by samsung, they checked the unit, called me to say the parts needed for replacement is phased out already. 4 years and 1 month and no more part support (t con and mainboard). tv's SRP at that time was around 70K if i recall. and after 4 years its now just a piece of junk.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM »
i used to choose samsung over sony for its price and as what tempter says, the panel being shared by samsung and sony. however after 4 years of owning samsung products, i might switch back to sony due to reliability.

dec 2007 i got myself an R81 37 inch lcd from samsung, no problems until last week, suddenly no picture.
sept 2011 i got my self a PS51D550 which was defective after only a few days (see post of PS51D550 thread).
my dad's 2 sony lcds (a 32 inch and a 46 inch), both bought before my R81 are still up and running.

worse part about samsung is my R81 is no longer supported by samsung, they checked the unit, called me to say the parts needed for replacement is phased out already. 4 years and 1 month and no more part support (t con and mainboard). tv's SRP at that time was around 70K if i recall. and after 4 years its now just a piece of junk.

After 4 years, you would probably say the same about sony hehe! No offense meant.

There are many factors of course, probably environment and usage is not the same with the Sonys of your dad. But i could be wrong of course.

Sa ngayon kasi sa totoo lang, kahit anong sikat na brand parepareho na lang when it comes to reliability. Gone are the days where you grow old with your appliances.  :D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM »
Samsung for me! Bang for the buck!

Offline bluesboy1216

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 03:57 AM »
Samsung for me too, first bought LCD LA32B550 2009 still up and running until now(sold it to my friend), Already upgraded to Plasma PS43D490 dec 2011 picture quality is very good even for 720p you will hardly notice the difference from 1080p. Wag lang matsambahan ng lemon unit (most brands have their own). And not to mention the price tag. Just shop around muna, enjoy it. =)

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 04:02 AM »
Samsung for me! Bang for the buck!
+1
toy

Offline JamesBond007

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2012 at 06:12 PM »
it will be good to canvass well different good brands (not just samsung and sony) and compare specs vs. price. read comments here in pdvd (like those of mr. carlo and others). then do actual observation at the store so you can compare side by side several models.  also consider quality of after sales service.  it may not be a very important factor whether samsung manufactures panels for sony or for the other brands, simply because a particular brand may have a particular set of quality and technology that they ask samsung to manufacture for them, meaning not all panels manufactured by samsung are the same in terms of quality and technology, meaning not because samsung manufactures panels eh they are good already. so it will really depend on your testing and assessment.  i have sony, toshiba and philips lcds.  i like toshiba more in terms of viewing angle compared to sony.  in terms of color, toshiba and sony almost same.  or in terms of workmanship, sony and philips are ahead.  you may want to bring your favorite bd movie when you test several brands (ask the store who only use on kind of bd player for all the tvs that you want to test).

hopes this helps.  cheers.

Offline csr2

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2012 at 02:36 PM »
i like the analog cable TV reception of samsung better than sony. well at least for this 2 models - samsung c530 vs sony bx420. However, I find sony's default video settings to be less stressful for my eyes when watching movies. Or again, it may just be me   :)

Offline melbs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2012 at 04:14 PM »
After 4 years, you would probably say the same about sony hehe! No offense meant.

There are many factors of course, probably environment and usage is not the same with the Sonys of your dad. But i could be wrong of course.

Sa ngayon kasi sa totoo lang, kahit anong sikat na brand parepareho na lang when it comes to reliability. Gone are the days where you grow old with your appliances.  :D

Are you telling me you have personal experience with Sony having parts phased out in just 4 years as well? Pls elaborate.

Our 12 year old CRTs and projector units from sony still had parts when it broke late 2000s but were too expensive to replace that's why i decided to buy newer hdtvs instead at that time.

Actually the sony's are being used more since my mom and dad are already retired. i get to use my tv after work only. the 2 sony's and R81 are in the same house.

But still, i think people should see the importance of after sales service and parts availability when buying a particular brand, not just bang for the buck. I was buying tv's for that particular reason, and now I experienced a set back because of it.

I would feel terrible to those who bought the high end units, paying 200k just to find out parts for it are phased out already in just 4 years.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2012 at 04:27 PM »
May mas convenient na solution ang big consumer electronic makers these days.  Because the changes in models are too fast, they simply offer you an equivalent new model.  It happened na sa isang Samsung owner in this board.  

And here's what allegedly happened in Japan in January as reported in one popular online shop.  He got a 50VT30 last December but it turned out to be defective - returned it to Panasonic - no stock - panel cannot be repaired - 2 months waiting time for replacement:  Offered solution by Panasonic - the new 55VT50 this coming March at no premium cost.  

Back to the original question, if money is not an issue, just buy whichever image looks best for you.  They may share the same panel but the video engines are totally proprietary, kaya the color saturation of a Sony TV does not look even close to that of Samsung.

I would feel terrible to those who bought the high end units, paying 200k just to find out parts for it are phased out already in just 4 years.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2012 at 04:35 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline vinsanidad

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2012 at 01:04 PM »
Sony for me...
Pre and post sales support are good!  :)
Onkyo HT538 | Xtreamer Media Player

Offline Hammerheart

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • DVD Guru
  • Formerly known as tormentor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2012 at 01:15 AM »
sony bravia. you can never go wrong.  :)

Offline Windrider

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2012 at 03:48 PM »
Hands down, Sony for me!!!!

Offline SymphonyX7

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2012 at 10:40 PM »
Depends on what model you'll get. Sony's low-end models are terrible.

If you're worried about reliability and still want great PQ, get a Panasonic. The "Sony is super reliable thing" here is merely brand perception. The Trinitrons are long gone. Get on with the times.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2012 at 11:55 PM »

If you're worried about reliability and still want great PQ, get a Panasonic. The "Sony is super reliable thing" here is merely brand perception. The Trinitrons are long gone. Get on with the times.

agree 100%! :D

Offline melbs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 11:49 AM »
May mas convenient na solution ang big consumer electronic makers these days.  Because the changes in models are too fast, they simply offer you an equivalent new model.  It happened na sa isang Samsung owner in this board.  

And here's what allegedly happened in Japan in January as reported in one popular online shop.  He got a 50VT30 last December but it turned out to be defective - returned it to Panasonic - no stock - panel cannot be repaired - 2 months waiting time for replacement:  Offered solution by Panasonic - the new 55VT50 this coming March at no premium cost.  

Back to the original question, if money is not an issue, just buy whichever image looks best for you.  They may share the same panel but the video engines are totally proprietary, kaya the color saturation of a Sony TV does not look even close to that of Samsung.

Mind telling me who the member is so i can contact the person and get the facts? It could be helpful in my current scenario with samsung. Thanks

Anyway, I'm talking about units that just ended their warranty. meaning mga bumili ng A series or B series samsung na high end models with only 1 or 2 year warranty tapos nasira yun unit nila today and there are no parts for it. I don't think samsung will replace them with the latest D series top of the line or equivalent models. As per my own experience Samsung only offered me cash compensation that they haven't even disclosed the value yet since they need to pass thru bureaucratic corporate process before informing me. No way they will offer me the 70K I paid for 4 years ago (understandably), and there's no 2nd hand market that values these TVs as well to give a fair market price.

Regarding the guy in Japan, Panasonic should replace it since buyer just got it last december, and should be well within the warranty period. This is also exactly what i did with my defective 51d550 bought last Sept. I pushed for a replacement. And if Samsung could not give me a replacement due to it being no longer in production, I too would ask for the subsequent newer version (but most likely I will ask for a full refund). This is because its still under warranty.

Point isn't it the manufacturer's responsibility to give parts support to their TVs which are only 4 years old? If a consumer knew they are like this, I don't think they will even look at Samsung as an option. This is the reason a lot of people do not consider china brands, yes, even friends that own big chain appliance dealers advised me not to get these since they are not know for parts support and reliability.

Its the same logic consumers do not consider buying cherry or china branded vehicles since their part support is nonexistent. They are the cheapest indeed, bang for the buck so to speak, but a few years in, you're left alone. In fact cherry closed shop within the warranty period of their cars. Would you buy a ferrari at 25M and after 4 years find out that they phased out parts for it? making it useless?

Bottom line i'm hoping people would consider after sales service and parts support in their decision making. Its one of those things, I guess, you only realize how important it is until you experience it already.

Price, picture quality, features are major part of the equation in buying your sets, but please do not forget after sales service and parts support, which unfortunately Samsung lacks in my experience with them.

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2012 at 07:02 PM »

this i agree.samsung for me,unless you have the moolah for the high end sony models.as mrsmithx2000 here stated,the low rung models of sony are that,low rung.their crts were great,couldn't say the same for sony's lcds.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2012 at 07:13 PM by pao9307 »

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM »
Samsung... if i had... extra budget i would just go hi-end or bigger...

imho.. ok din sakin other brands.. but.. Samsung standsout talaga in lcd

Offline Mannyx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2012 at 09:01 PM »
Ang gusto ko sa Sony may PIP button sa remote. Sa Samsung, dami pang pipindutin.

Offline betamaxvhs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2012 at 09:51 PM »
Definitely a Sony! Quality.  Premium look and feel.... I have a ps3, 40inch bravia,   15.1 Vaio laptop, experia  x10 android phone, late 90's handycam, Sony explode in my car and a couple of Sony VHS.....  all works flawlessly!   :)

Offline melbs

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM »
finally got a hold of samsung, and 25k compensation for my 4 year old then 70k srp R81 unit  ;) lesson learned folks! matakot na kayo at huwag masira yun 200K samsung sets nyo!