Author Topic: First pair of HT  (Read 1293 times)

Offline schlamm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First pair of HT
« on: Sep 20, 2006 at 03:16 PM »
I am currently aiming for:

Onkyo TX-SR604 (found at Sound Dimensions for around Php18,000)

and...

B&W DM602 S3 (found at Sound Dimensions for around Php25,000)

What do you guys think of this setup for a beginner like me? I though of starting for a 2.0 setup and later add rear and center channel later on, the subwoofer will be the last of my list. For the future rear setup I'm thinking of a Wharfdale Diamond 8.3 floorstanders. For the center though, I have no idea yet at the moment.

Oh by the way, I am not sure if that is the Onkyo model that Sound Dimensions has so correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: First pair of HT
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 03:29 PM »
I see no problem with your set-up in mind.  I would suggest to get a good subwoofer next.  The center and surrounds can go last.  In fact if you have a small room, you can just phantom the center.

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 10:27 PM »
Check out the aurum cantus F series for HT (floorstander) and the Aurum Cantus Leisure series at Audio Amplified (pm audioamplified or text tyrone at 09175360499).

I was quite impressed with their F series that I am replacing my Acoustic Research HT speakers with it this coming December.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline r_Y_@_n

• DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 08:49 AM »
hi schlamm! just to add to what av_phile mentioned, i guess for me instead of getting the subs last, i would suggest you get that 1st. at least you get the life of the sound. at least you can already experience the booms, explosions and what not. right now i currently have a humble 2.1 setup as well, my fronts are concept 1's, a velodyne VX series powered by my sherwood 1602 and im enjoying it a lot. although of course you're still missing a lot. im planning to either complete my setup before the end of the year ( as soon as i get my xmas bonus  :P ) or at least get either the center 1st or the rears. still havent decided yet, depends on the budget. :) with your budget i think you can go a long way. my setup right now was what Architectural Audio suggested when i bought my setup a few months back. :) keep us posted on what you decide on. enjoy! :)

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:35 PM »
I see no problem with your set-up in mind.  I would suggest to get a good subwoofer next.  The center and surrounds can go last.  In fact if you have a small room, you can just phantom the center.

Hi Sir av,

I always read from your post 'phantom the center'.
How do I do that?

TIA
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 01:51 PM »
Center phantom mode  is part of the options on your speaker onscreen menu of your receiver.  It can also be set on the DVD player menu.  The mode routes the center chanel to both your L and R front speakers so much like a stereo center image, so you can get center "phantom" when frequencies comon to both channels arrive at your ears.   When seated between your L and R speakers, you hear as if there's a center speaker when there's physically none. 
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 01:52 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 03:41 PM »
in short - set the center speaker size to [None] ;D
money is best spent

Offline schlamm

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 08:38 PM »
Thanks for your helpful inputs guys. I will inform you of the stuff that I want to get.

Talk to all of you soon.

Offline schlamm

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2007 at 02:21 AM »
Finally, I have purchased the Onkyo TX-SR503 and B&W 603 S3 for my first ever HT setup.

I have questions though, how can I set the receiver to power at 6 ohms? I find the power rating at that ohm rating to my liking.

I also found in the manual of the B&W that I can hook-up a 2-core cable to feed power to the B&W's since it is capable of bi-wire to enhance the sound of the speakers. So does that mean I need that type of cable and my receiver can support that kind of wiring for my speakers?

I find the rear right portion of the receiver (top grill; facing the receiver) to be hot to touch after its first run for about 20 minutes. The receiver is on top of a table (open air) without A/C during night time.

Things that Sound Dimension suggested are to burn-in the speakers for 100 hours at "not-so-loud" volume. So I guess 50% volume is not so loud? I first ran the system with my iPod at max volume connected through the front A/V inputs. They gave me this Nobelle High Fidelity Speaker Wire which I find quite thick but it is soft to bend and stuff. My connections for the wires are spliced by the way.

Offline baboinsky

• Apprentice
  • I don't want no teenage queen, I just want my M14
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2007 at 05:07 AM »
Finally, I have purchased the Onkyo TX-SR503 and B&W 603 S3 for my first ever HT setup.

I have questions though, how can I set the receiver to power at 6 ohms? I find the power rating at that ohm rating to my liking.

I also found in the manual of the B&W that I can hook-up a 2-core cable to feed power to the B&W's since it is capable of bi-wire to enhance the sound of the speakers. So does that mean I need that type of cable and my receiver can support that kind of wiring for my speakers?

I find the rear right portion of the receiver (top grill; facing the receiver) to be hot to touch after its first run for about 20 minutes. The receiver is on top of a table (open air) without A/C during night time.

Things that Sound Dimension suggested are to burn-in the speakers for 100 hours at "not-so-loud" volume. So I guess 50% volume is not so loud? I first ran the system with my iPod at max volume connected through the front A/V inputs. They gave me this Nobelle High Fidelity Speaker Wire which I find quite thick but it is soft to bend and stuff. My connections for the wires are spliced by the way.

Congrats on your purchase.  Just a question. Is this the color gold Onkyo 503 sa store sa tabi ng Hahn Park Square? Kung ito nga yun.  Last piece na ata yan at naunahan mo ako  ;D ;D

Offline schlamm

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2007 at 07:25 PM »
Ah, yes this is the last gold color of this AVR according to sir Ed. I like this guy's enthusiasm in their products. They even suggested I get the wood finished B&W's to match so this is what I got from Sound Dimension. :D

IMO, this Onkyo is easy to setup. Just did the First Time setup and it was a breeze. Though I can't find the speaker size setting in the Hardware Setup of the AVR, only the Subwoofer, Center and Surround are present which I all set to None since I only have a pair for the fronts.

I also switched the amp to power at 6 ohms. I am also concerned with the heat-issue coming from the (rear right) part of the top grill. It is hot to touch.

Now I've hooked up this system to my Audigy 2 ZS soundcard via 1/8" baby plug to Coaxial (mono). I am impressed with the hassle-free setup and I can't wait to burn-in this system for some good sound trip next week.