Author Topic: 2007 Brands Comparison Thread: Sony Bravia S Series 40" or Toshiba 37WL66E 37?  (Read 46326 times)

Offline Macross

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Samsung LA32R81B or Panasonic TX-32LX70 or Sony KLV32U300A
« Reply #240 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 11:19 AM »
This comparison is based on 32" category where the rival is between the above models.  You had inquired from me earlier the 37" comparison. In 37" category, we need to compare according to levels of products.  Most manufacturers have 2 choices: the entry-level and the higher-end model. I find it very unfair to compare a higher-end model with the entry-level model of another brand.  Therefore, for the comaparison, one needs to compare higher-end Sony KLV37D300 against  Sharp LC37P7, Samsung LA37R81B, and soon Toshiba 37C3500.  The entry level comparison should be Hitachi 37LD9000, Sharp LC37AX5, and Toshiba 37A3000 or soon Toshiba 37A3500.

E-reply so can you compare SONY 32d as against SHARP A53?  which one is better performance?  after service?
at the moment i will only be watching our regular cable tv and sd dvds.  no ps3 yet.

thanks.

Offline IceTea

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 09:59 AM »
Buhayin ko lang ito.  I saw the Panasonic 32LX70, Toshiba 32C3500, and Sony 32U300 side-by-side.  Unfortunately, hindi naka setup yung Samsung 32R81.  Base on the 3 earlier models, 32LX70 ang gusto ko.  Next time siguro i-audition ko yung Samsung with Panasonic.  May tanong lang ako.  Does 32LX70 really have an IPS panel? Sa net kasi, TC-32LX70 ang IPS Panel, pero TX-32LX70 ang mayroon dito eh.  Ano ba difference ng TC sa TX?  Regarding, Samsung, hanggang 1080i lang ba talaga ang kaya i-support ng 32R81b?  I understand na both are only 720p native resolution, pero syempre, wala naman masama kung kaya niya i-support ang 1080p.  ;D

Between the two, 32LX70 and 32R81B, which tickles your fancy?  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2007 at 10:22 AM by IceTea »

Offline Thurzki

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 10:02 PM »
Buhayin ko lang ito.  I saw the Panasonic 32LX70, Toshiba 32C3500, and Sony 32U300 side-by-side.  Unfortunately, hindi naka setup yung Samsung 32R81.  Base on the 3 earlier models, 32LX70 ang gusto ko.  Next time siguro i-audition ko yung Samsung with Panasonic.  May tanong lang ako.  Does 32LX70 really have an IPS panel? Sa net kasi, TC-32LX70 ang IPS Panel, pero TX-32LX70 ang mayroon dito eh.  Ano ba difference ng TC sa TX?  Regarding, Samsung, hanggang 1080i lang ba talaga ang kaya i-support ng 32R81b?  I understand na both are only 720p native resolution, pero syempre, wala naman masama kung kaya niya i-support ang 1080p.  ;D

Both R81 and LX70 = upto 1080i only. Pero ako na nagsasabi sau bro sa 1080i pa lang sulit kana basta i tandem mo lang din sa ok na player  ;D

Here's a pic from my LX70 and DV600 na source

I tried R81, LX70, Sharp, Tosh, and hitachi side by side and ung LX70 ung nag display ng outstanding PQ (kuhang kuha ung color tone ng tao) followed by the R81. Ti nry nmin habulin ung LX70 by adjusting ung R81 pero di nmin nahabol. Based to from my experience s pag o audition. Pero oks din naman cla lahat dahil may kanya kanyang strength and weaknesses cla. Nasa preference mo nlng tlga kung anu mas gusto mo. I really love to watch movies kaya the great PQ of LX70 suits me up.  :)

Not sure about the IPS panel  :)

Hope this helps  ;)

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 09:20 AM »
Hi Thurzki,

Nice!  Congrats on your 32LX70.  Gusto ko tuloy makita ang LX70 vs R81.  :D  Yung Toshiba vs Panasonic kasi, na overwhelm ako sa brightness ni Tosh.  Unfair yung para sa Sony kasi U series lang nakita ko, at mahal eh, kaya hindi ko sinama sa list ko.  Totoo yung sabi ninyo na iba ang i-audition para masabi mo talaga kung alin ang mas pabor sa mata mo.  Siguro kung hindi magkakatabi yun, kahit alin doon ay ok para sa akin.  ;D

1080i lang ang LX70?  Talaga?  Hindi ko kasi pinansin sobra yung 1080 resolution, kasi parang sumobra ang upscale, pumangit tuloy.  Naintindihan mo ba?  Kaya 720p ako nag concentrate.  Anyway, 1st audition pa lang naman, basic test pa lang ako.  Next time, balak kong magdala ng dvds ko, at isasama ko si budget minister.   :D

Cheers!

Offline HouseBum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 04:29 PM »
What's the difference of the Panasonic LE7 and LX70, their spec sheets look the same aside from the CEC enabled HDMI & two tone color of the LX70 versus the LE7's Viera link and mono black look? Are the panels different or perhaps the place of manufacture?

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 06:36 PM »
What's the difference of the Panasonic LE7 and LX70, their spec sheets look the same aside from the CEC enabled HDMI & two tone color of the LX70 versus the LE7's Viera link and mono black look? Are the panels different or perhaps the place of manufacture?

compare mo sa shop @ Trinoma side by side, you'll see. ;)

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
compare mo sa shop @ Trinoma side by side, you'll see. ;)

Heed Jeffs advice  ;) I got the panny LX70 at Trinoma.

Offline rd

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 09:00 AM »
Heed Jeffs advice  ;) I got the panny LX70 at Trinoma.

from what e-reply posted LX70 and LE7 have the same resolution, contrast ratio and HDMI input (2).  please post naman the other differences aside from the price difference of 3.2k.  tia

Offline theblue

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 09:57 AM »
Yes sir, pls state the differences both from technical specs and from your own opinion for the LE7 and LX70. I would really like to buy one this month.
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 10:00 AM »

i'm glad you guys are seeing the light and beginning to appreciate the "difference" between the panasonic lx70 vs other models at the same price point. again, each has his own personal preference. but on a technical standpoint, the lx70 is arguably superior in pq vs competition.

with reference to your question re ips panel, the only model fitted with the ips panel is the lx700. also, the lx700 is capable of displaying up to 1080p.

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 10:55 AM »
i'm glad you guys are seeing the light and beginning to appreciate the "difference" between the panasonic lx70 vs other models at the same price point. again, each has his own personal preference. but on a technical standpoint, the lx70 is arguably superior in pq vs competition.

with reference to your question re ips panel, the only model fitted with the ips panel is the lx700. also, the lx700 is capable of displaying up to 1080p.

According to pana websites, the TC LX70 or the TX LX70 are fitted with IPS panel.

Offline nibblerizer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 12:30 PM »
which is better IPS panel or S-PVA panel?

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #252 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 12:53 PM »
btw how much is the samsung  32r81 and pana 32lx70? thanks
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 01:45 PM »
According to pana websites, the TC LX70 or the TX LX70 are fitted with IPS panel.

confusing coz it says wxga panel in their local web site:  http://www.panasonic.com.ph/VIERATV.htm. also, in their user manuals. the only model that mentions ips in the pana web site, box and manual is the lx700. not sure about the imported models though. but ips or not, the lx70 still produces more stunning pictures vs competition.

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 at 02:09 PM by Tonmeister »

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 01:59 PM »

ips panels are superior to s-pva. below is a portion of an article from http://www.lcdresource.com/lcdtech/

that's why it makes me wonder why not many people notice the flaws of s-pva well in fact it's very obvious.

IPS PANELS
I like to call these the "stable" TFT type. They have a stable role in the market, that is, in the photo-editing and high-end sectors they will always be the tops. Their image is near perfectly stable in all directions. Color reproduction and brightness regulation is the most stable of any LCD.

Unfortunately, another thing about them that is stable is the price. You'll always pay at the very least a 25% premium for this type, typically ranging from 40-60%. On the market, they are relatively rare. The cheapest, widely available 20.1" widescreen using S-IPS technology (the NEC 20WMGX2) cost $570 at the time of writing. Meanwhile, the HP LP2065, a 20.1" 4:3 screen utilizing S-IPS, cost $405 with some rebates available.2

When it comes to skin tones, IPS type panels are far ahead of others. Gamma and color regulation is amazing, the closest to a good CRT you'll ever come. Nearly all IPS panels reproduce 256 levels of brightness. Response time, with overdrive, is roughly twice as slow as TN panels, which in itself is not bad at all.

VA PANELS
These mid-range panels are a nice sacrifice between TNs and IPSes. They don't have nearly the amount of uniformity or viewing angle problems that TNs do. However, they will still slightly shift in color when viewed from medium to extreme angles. Additionally, they will hide details at a perpendicular (straight-on) viewing angle because of how the crystals are arranged. The brightness on the most recent VA panels makes this not so much an issue. VA panels are technically capable of displaying 256 levels of brightness, but not all do.

Contrast on VA-type panels is stellar. White level is high and black level is very low. That doesn't make the image the best of all these types, though. For rather unknown reasons, current VA panels have a hard time producing midtones naturally. They tend to look a little over-bright. Likely it is because the color temperature regulation is less consistent than that of a good IPS panel.

Response time is by far the slowest, but as always this can be offset by using a good overdrive algorithm to use the crystal technology in the most efficient pattern.

Which is Best for Me?
Number crunchers and clerks are best suited to VA panels due to their nice bright appearance and minimal screen door effect. MVAs come at a price anyone can afford as long as you find the right model. Their wide viewing angle will make office work a pleasure. That doesn't mean IPS screens aren't just as good for this purpose, but they generally come at a higher price. Also, if you notice the screen door effect, they could make prolonged usage painful. The lower brightness IPS panels don't have nearly the problem as the high brightness ones, such as the AS-IPS variant NEC 20WMGX2.

Photo editors will want to stick with the tried-and-true IPS panels. If the price is simply too high for you, VA panels being 8-bit and high-contrast aren't a bad alternative. However, you won't get the natural colors of a quality IPS screen, especially if you leave your display uncalibrated. Be sure to properly adjust the LCD for the angle you're viewing at, as MVA screens have multiple domains and detail is hidden at a perpendicular angle.

Which leaves us with...TNs. These types of panels are for hardcore gamers who want the absolute minimum response time. As you should know, contrast and viewing angles will suffer with these types. The best part of TNs is how affordable they are, but that also means you'll have to choose carefully to avoid low quality panels.

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 at 02:04 PM by Tonmeister »

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 02:11 PM »
Hi,

Where did you find that web site?  There also a TX-32LXD70A.  I think it's in Australia and I think it has a HD-tuner already.  So, I'm assuming it's a different one.   I'm now looking at google for ways to identify IPS vs other panel.

http://panasonic.com.au/products/specifications.cfm?objectID=3879

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 02:23 PM »

I started a thread last year, which I entitled "LCD Tech Discussion".  Unfortunately, nobody seemed to be interested at the time.   :D   

Here's the one and only post on that thread:

Since I'm no techie, I've been waiting for someone to discuss LCD tech for quite a while.  Unfortunately, all I read about in our threads are the manufacturer's specs of contrast ratios, response times and the usual "Samsung makes panels for Sony" stuff.

How about discussing these issues for instance:

1.  LCD Panel Types.

The 3 most popular types are the TN, S-PVA and S-IPS panels.  TN is not suitable for home theater use, so only S-PVA and S-IPS should be relevant for our purposes.

The professional consensus is that S-IPS panels are superior to S-PVA.  S-IPS screens have more accurate colors, while S-PVA screens have oversaturated and inaccurate colors.  S-IPS screens retain accurate gamma levels at extreme angles, while S-PVA screens exhibit gamma shift when viewed at even a slight angle.  Despite the manufacturer's specs, S-IPS panels reportedly have better response times than S-PVA. While the newer S-PVAs have better contrast ratios, S-IPS is still preferred by graphics professionals.

Due to Sony's extemely agressive push for the Bravias, we usually see only the S-PVA on the showroom floor via the Samsungs and the Bravias.  Sony's Bravia is the best I've seen, but I also hear that it's still not good enough.

I hear that the Hitachi Director's Series LCD, an S-IPS panel, is way better than the Bravias (S-PVA).  Has anybody seen one?

2. Manufacturer's misleading  specs.

Audio enthusiasts are no strangers to misleading specs from manufacturers.  But this time, it's the flat panel manufacturers who have recently gotten in on the act.

Response time is usually measured by manufacturers as the sum of rising time (the time required to turn a pixel from white to black) and fall time (from black to white again).  In real viewing situations, the more relevant measurement is the response time between colors.  Turning a pixel from light gray to dark gray would result in a very different measurement, since the crystals will move more slowly. 

The next time you see a "4 ms." response time claim, think again.     

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:07 PM by barrister »

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 02:25 PM »
that's why it makes me wonder why not many people notice the flaws of s-pva well in fact it's very obvious.

I believe, like the nature of the flaw, people don't view their LCD TVs at an angle that it becomes obvious.  Personally, I wouldn't mind too, because I won't sit at the side of the TV.  I'd rather not watch if that's my sitting place.  Fortunately for TX-32LX70, it does produce a better PQ for me.  It being or not being an IPS-Panel does not effect my inclination for it. The IPS-Panel just makes me feel better about choosing it over the other.  Now, if Samsung 32R81B would produce that same or better PQ, then it's another story. ;D  I would say that, "Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder".  ;)

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 08:22 AM »
Hi,

Where did you find that web site?  There also a TX-32LXD70A.  I think it's in Australia and I think it has a HD-tuner already.  So, I'm assuming it's a different one.   I'm now looking at google for ways to identify IPS vs other panel.

http://panasonic.com.au/products/specifications.cfm?objectID=3879
  For TC and TX models :

www2.panasonic.com/.../shop/Televisions/LCD-Flat-Panel-TVs/model.TC-32LX70_11002_7000000000000005702 - 120k -

http://www.panasonic.nl/default.asp

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 10:54 AM »
ang sony bravia ano panel ang gamit?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 11:39 AM »
Sony and Samsung use S-PVA.

========================================================

I read on foreign forums that Panasonic LCDs have a tendency to emit a buzzing sound, possibly from the backlight transformer/inverter.

Anybody experiencing a buzzing Panasonic LCD TV?

Meron na rin akong nabasa dito na buzzing Sony LCD TV:

yung bravia ko napansin ko nung tahimik yung kwarto may hising sound na mahina ng parang livewire

kht i on meron padin....

sobrang iritating yung sound!! >:( >:( >:(

kailangan ko pa dalhin sa sony service center >:(

i just bought this unit a month ago tapos ganito! >:(

kht na covered ng warranty badtrip padin!

Ewan ko lang kung nasolve ang problema.

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 11:48 AM »
sa sony bravia klv-32v300a ko wala akong naririnig na buzzing sound, napakatahimik.

Offline Thurzki

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 05:32 PM »
Ung LX70 ko no experience sa buzzing sound tahimik nman cya tsaka tinry ko din pang videoke cya and ok nman  :)

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
Yes sir, pls state the differences both from technical specs and from your own opinion for the LE7 and LX70. I would really like to buy one this month.

Compare the unit side by side sir, nasa preference mo yung kung w/c suits you best. Same naman sila, color lang iba. ;)

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 10:07 AM »
Sony and Samsung use S-PVA.

I read on foreign forums that Panasonic LCDs have a tendency to emit a buzzing sound, possibly from the backlight transformer/inverter.

Anybody experiencing a buzzing Panasonic LCD TV?

Meron na rin akong nabasa dito na buzzing Sony LCD TV:

Ewan ko lang kung nasolve ang problema.

no buzzing sound from my panasonic lx700, it's dead quiet. siguro manufacturing defect yan with some lcds regardless of brand.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 at 10:25 AM by Tonmeister »

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 10:24 AM »
I believe, like the nature of the flaw, people don't view their LCD TVs at an angle that it becomes obvious.  Personally, I wouldn't mind too, because I won't sit at the side of the TV.  I'd rather not watch if that's my sitting place.  Fortunately for TX-32LX70, it does produce a better PQ for me.  It being or not being an IPS-Panel does not effect my inclination for it. The IPS-Panel just makes me feel better about choosing it over the other.  Now, if Samsung 32R81B would produce that same or better PQ, then it's another story. ;D  I would say that, "Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder".  ;)

the inability of other lcd panels to generate accurate colors at angles is one of the reasons why panasonic has better picture quality because the color presentation is more stable and doesn't shift dramatically specially in the vertical plane.

and, it's not only the weakness in viewing angle of other lcds that bother me but also the high level of backlight leak emanating from the other brands. i think the main reason why most people are not able to detect this flaw is because of the high level of lighting in showrooms. try to watch the lcd tv in near or complete darkness and you don't have to have perfect vision to see this other obvious flaw.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 at 10:27 AM by Tonmeister »

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 06:30 PM »
Well, i'll discuss about the sony brand since i myself got one last 3 weeks ago. But i bought the V series instead of the U which was KLV32V300A.. Upon my purchase, i tested the units side by side (the 32U300A and 32V300A) and i definitely saw the color difference which was that the V series was much more vivid and colorful and less pixellated compared to the U series, maybe because of the presence of their so-called bravia engine which they say is installed on the V but not on the U series. The test disc that was featured was shark tale, so plenty of colors were really observed and judging by my personal eye view the V series really standed out compared to the U. But the bad part is that the V series is 10 thousand pesos more of the pricetag of the U series. Nevertheless, i just picked the V series and also got the free home theatre and cordless earphones since what i am after is personal viewing satisfaction in my investment to last me several years to come.. Then this week, i  glanced upon a new model of sony, the D series, it sports a motion flow technology and 24p film cinema feature, the two when combined produces a special effect wherein the visual that you can see is like a live video from a handycam shoot specially in fast moving scenes in which pixellations are really terminated.. If you are near trinoma, you could go to avant and see their 40" test display which features clips of spiderman, hellboy and swat and you could see what i mean.. But it's high price is a set back, it is 30 thousand pesos more than a V series. If you just want cinematic view a V series would fit in just fine, but if you want near realistic view and have spare cash to spend, then the D series can do. But personally, after watching the test demo of the D series again and again everytime i went to the mall, i find the V series more appealing to my view, since the motionflow technology does not activate all througout the video, it just select scenes thus the other scenes it just look like with the V series and sometimes it gets dizzy to view different frame rates. So in conclusion, i am happy to have purchased the KLV32V300A, its features and price fits me just fine.

For those who like to compare the 32 inch bravia D V & U series pls check out abenson (Cyberzone north EDSA) i saw the 3 models na magkakatabi at isa lang ang film shown. you can esaily see the difference sa colr & motion.

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
Philips 32PFL9432 vs. Panasonic TX-32LX700
« Reply #267 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 11:56 PM »
I am planning to buy a 32 inch LCD TV soon.  I have narrowed my budget & preference to these 2 models. Both are the high end models for their respective brands.  Is it advisable to spend the 5k+ on philips? Is a 3rd HDMI on the side or front really necessary? Do both brands offer the zero dead pixel warranty? In terms of durability which is preferred?

I'll be using it mainly on watching videos/cable and possibly my nephew will play his ps2 games here.

Here are the specs I have so far:

Philips                           Panasonic
Contrast               8000:1                           8500:1
100Hz                   yes                               yes
Response time        3ms                              6ms
Panel type             Spvi (Hard Panel)            IPS Alpha
HDMI Inputs           3                                  2 (both on rear)
Cost on brochure    94980                            89900

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Philips 32PFL9432 vs. Panasonic TX-32LX700
« Reply #268 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 07:04 AM »
Do both brands offer the zero dead pixel warranty?

it is not on your list but based on my experience sony replaced my panel after 1 month of use due to a 1 dead pixel and even replaced the whole unit when finding out that the defect was mainly from the unit itself. Now that is zero dead pixel warranty.

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Philips 32PFL9432 vs. Panasonic TX-32LX700
« Reply #269 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 11:08 AM »
thanks for the feedback. unfortunately, the high end of the sony 32 inch lcd tv is beyond my budget that's one of the reason i am not considering buying a sony.