Author Topic: Newbie from Dubai Needs your help!  (Read 534 times)

Offline smallville

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • see me, feel me, hear me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie from Dubai Needs your help!
« on: Jan 31, 2007 at 03:12 PM »
Marhaba! I am actually new into this hobby and based on reading so much about this site, I can say na nakakahawa nga kayo (SARS) ;). Imagine don't have any plans on buying any stuff related to HT (though, I am a movie addict and an HT enthusiasts by reading magz) pero dahil sa kakabasa ko ng mga threads d2 napabili ako ng di oras. The pics of HT set-up from the picture gallery are so amazing - GALING! :o  And that made me to set-up my own, yun nga lang medyo may kamahalan ang mga speakers dito sa Dubai compared jan sa atin.  Plus, limited din and brands na pagpipilian mo.

Just last week, I bought the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP bundled with Onkyo TXSR304 receiver, but medyo mahina ang sub ng wharf that’s why I decided to get an extra sub – Velodyne CHT8 to add more power.  Enrty-level muna ang kinuha ko set-up, which eventually subject to upgrade pag medyo marunong-runong na ko ng konti sa HT.  Also, I’ll be placing my set-up on a small room only, so the need for a bigger speaker is not convenient at all.         

To sum it up, since I am a newbie here, could you please help me on the proper settings of my receiver, each speaker i.e. front, center and surround as well as my 2 subs (phase, crossover, volume etc.).  I know that I should trust my own ears, but I need your inputs based on your own personal set-up and experience.

How can I post a picture? I'll try to post my set-up at the picture gallery section, pra makita nyo simple newbie set-up ko.

Any inputs?

I am...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie from Dubai Needs your help!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007 at 10:05 AM »
Congrats on your new toys.  ;D They are mighty fine gears even if just entry level.  I am not familiar with the receiver and I believe you'd be the best person to determine which setting is best. 

Try experimenting on speaker placement as well as crossover settings between the speakers and your sub.  Start with having the speakers on SMALL setting and adjust the crossover settings on the sub to achieve a seamless cross without getting too boomy or bass heavy.  You said you now have 2 subs, are you using both?  How are they connected?
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 at 10:06 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline smallville

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • see me, feel me, hear me
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie from Dubai Needs your help!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2007 at 06:27 PM »
Sir av_phile1, yup I'm currently using 2 subs - the bundled sub from the Wharfe's HCP + Velo CHT8. I connected the Velo sub (Line Level Input) to my receiver's sub pre-out, then from my Velo's Line Level Output to the Wharfe's Line Level Input.  Got this connection set-up from wharfedale's site.  But when I tested it, medyo mahina yung wharfe's sub.  Are there any other connection which I can use? or can I just use the RCA Y-connector?

The volume level of both my 2 subs were set at 12 o' clock position?

Need your opinion sir. Thanks!
I am...