Author Topic: PC --> DVI to HDMI --> Samsung LCD TV??  (Read 11141 times)

Offline jc2mm2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PC --> DVI to HDMI --> Samsung LCD TV??
« on: Feb 07, 2007 at 07:50 AM »
Will this setup work?

PC --> DVI to HDMI --> Samsung LCD TV (S71)??

Sayang kasi, Im using the component out right now @ 1920x1080(i) w/ 30mhz ref. rate, and still it's kinda blurry.  I currently have a X1950Pro in crossfire mode, which is HDCP complaint.  Will it work or not?

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: PC --> DVI to HDMI --> Samsung LCD TV??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2007 at 10:00 AM »
it should work fine, though i remember reading in the samsung thread some ppl had issues with the setup, but the didnt have a hdcp compliant card.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 09:42 AM »
You will have to check the manual (it's available online).

As far as my samsung (LA40R71B) manual says... the hdmi port will -not- work with a PC's dvi output.  So the dvi to hdmi to TV will not work.
Just use the VGA input of the TV and the VGA output of the PC. 
Set the PC output to 60Hz refresh rate, 1360x768 (or whatever max resolution and refresh rate your LCD TV supports).

Will this setup work?

PC --> DVI to HDMI --> Samsung LCD TV (S71)??

Sayang kasi, Im using the component out right now @ 1920x1080(i) w/ 30mhz ref. rate, and still it's kinda blurry.  I currently have a X1950Pro in crossfire mode, which is HDCP complaint.  Will it work or not?
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2007 at 09:45 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 11:38 AM »
You might get it to work if your PC's DVI output can emulate SDTV, EDTV or HDTV resolutions and refresh rates - 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, etc. However, none of these is the native resolution (1366x768) of the LCD panel and so text will not appear as sharp as using the VGA input with the PC's display set to the native resolution.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007 at 12:01 PM »
You can use Powerstrip (download it on the net) for custom resolutions and refresh rates.
Read the docs before using it.  But I wouldn't use a refresh rate that the TV doesn't support (might damage it in the long term).
Because of that, I am content with using VGA rather than PC -> dvi -> hdmi -> tv. 
You probably won't notice the difference anyway (vga vs hdmi).

You might get it to work if your PC's DVI output can emulate SDTV, EDTV or HDTV resolutions and refresh rates - 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, etc. However, none of these is the native resolution (1366x768) of the LCD panel and so text will not appear as sharp as using the VGA input with the PC's display set to the native resolution.

Offline gbtormes16

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2007 at 09:23 PM »
I tried the setting 1280 X 720p on my LA32S71B using VGA, the monitor will display the message " RESOLUTION IS NOT SUPPORTED".So  I choose the max. resolution 1360 X 768p@ 60Hz  ;)
Learn to regret ahead...

Offline parak

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 11:10 PM »
Hi,

I am now using a DVI to HDMI connector for my pc and plasma TV. Dati VGA cable. In terms of quality, pareho lang, but yung sa VGA cable, pag mabilis yung scene, nag-fi-flicker, ewan ko kung bakit, pero when i used DVI to HDMI, ok na siya.  ;D

Offline Jett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 11:30 PM »
Hi,

I am now using a DVI to HDMI connector for my pc and plasma TV. Dati VGA cable. In terms of quality, pareho lang, but yung sa VGA cable, pag mabilis yung scene, nag-fi-flicker, ewan ko kung bakit, pero when i used DVI to HDMI, ok na siya.  ;D

Just wondering ... where did you buy your DVI - HDMI cable?

Offline parak

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 01:25 AM »
Just wondering ... where did you buy your DVI - HDMI cable?

Hi, I bought mine at megamall building B. malapit sa entrance ng department store sa third floor. Nakalimutan ko na pangalan ng store eh pero they sell HT equipment. i got mine for 900 pesos

Offline foxez69

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 11:45 PM »
is this the same with HDMI to DVI?

Offline parak

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 04:21 AM »
is this the same with HDMI to DVI?

iba yata yon. Male yung dvi end nito eh

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2007 at 07:26 AM »
Hi, I bought mine at megamall building B. malapit sa entrance ng department store sa third floor. Nakalimutan ko na pangalan ng store eh pero they sell HT equipment. i got mine for 900 pesos

I thinks its Listening Room... one of the branches of Listening In Style Group.

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 06:57 AM »
To anyone who uses VGA cable to connect laptop to samsung LCD, where did you get the cable.  I bought the generic one (P120) and when I connected my HPDV1000 laptop to my samsung 32LAN71 LCD, hindi sharp ang picture.  I have a friend from abroad who has the same LCD and he suggested this Monster PC cable (http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-MNPC-Resolution-Monitor/dp/B00004Y3QW/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-1292252-9121459?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1174316464&sr=8-2).  According to him, very clear daw ang picture sa LCD.  Will this cable really make a big difference?  Where did you buy your cable (brand? price?)

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:25 AM »
To anyone who uses VGA cable to connect laptop to samsung LCD, where did you get the cable.  I bought the generic one (P120) and when I connected my HPDV1000 laptop to my samsung 32LAN71 LCD, hindi sharp ang picture.  I have a friend from abroad who has the same LCD and he suggested this Monster PC cable (http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-MNPC-Resolution-Monitor/dp/B00004Y3QW/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-1292252-9121459?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1174316464&sr=8-2).  According to him, very clear daw ang picture sa LCD.  Will this cable really make a big difference?  Where did you buy your cable (brand? price?)

i use my very generic vga cable to connect my desktop to my lcd and have no problems, beyond some text in games being too small to read  well.

things you need check are:
1. is your laptop outputting the right resolution... should be 1366X768.. no more and no less.
2. is your LCD tv's PC auto adjust turned on? it should normally actiave everytime your laptop's resolution changes.
3. have you tried manually adjusting both on the lcd and the laptop the settings to compensate?
4. as usual drivers, drivers, drivers... if your using some cheap as built in intel video card... you might have a problem.. but i think it should still work.
5. More importantly... what exactly do you mean by it not being sharp enough? normally the default setting of samsung lcd's.. correction.. most flat panels.. tend to be actually over sharp.

monster cables are over rated... in my opinion...
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 12:46 PM »
things you need check are:
1. is your laptop outputting the right resolution... should be 1366X768.. no more and no less.
2. is your LCD tv's PC auto adjust turned on? it should normally actiave everytime your laptop's resolution changes.
3. have you tried manually adjusting both on the lcd and the laptop the settings to compensate?
4. as usual drivers, drivers, drivers... if your using some cheap as built in intel video card... you might have a problem.. but i think it should still work.
5. More importantly... what exactly do you mean by it not being sharp enough? normally the default setting of samsung lcd's.. correction.. most flat panels.. tend to be actually over sharp.

monster cables are over rated... in my opinion...

My LCD defaults to 1280 x 768.  If I manually adjust it, the next available is 1280 x 1024.  I have an HPdv1000 (actually DV1012ap yung exact model niya).  So when I connect it at first, there's a black bar at the sides of the LCD.  I didn't know that there is a PC "auto adjust" option on the LCD's menu.  My LCD is a samsung LA32N71. When I mean "hindi sharp", I'm referrint o the edges, medyo jagged at hindi ganun kalinaw ang texts.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 01:04 PM »
My LCD defaults to 1280 x 768.  If I manually adjust it, the next available is 1280 x 1024.  I have an HPdv1000 (actually DV1012ap yung exact model niya).  So when I connect it at first, there's a black bar at the sides of the LCD.  I didn't know that there is a PC "auto adjust" option on the LCD's menu.  My LCD is a samsung LA32N71. When I mean "hindi sharp", I'm referrint o the edges, medyo jagged at hindi ganun kalinaw ang texts.

if you are using vga, it should default to 1366x 768, dont got for 1280 x 1024. now if your laptop refuses to go higher, then either your laptop's settings or drivers need updating or your laptop vide card kinda sucks....

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 04:39 PM »
1. Find out the max resolution of your LCD TV
2. Check the TV manual...it might say something like 1360x768 at 60Hz refresh rate.
3. Download powerstrip, then set your PC/laptop resolution to  the max resolution of your LCD TV at the allowable refresh rate.
4. Hopefully, your laptop can handle the resolution. It should.
5. Then go to the menu of your LCD TV and do the "PC Auto Adjust" thingy.
6. Black bars on the sides should be gone...
7. Sometimes I display 1024x768 at 60Hz on the LCD TV.  Try that too, see the difference it makes.

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:04 PM »
ok, I connected my laptop to the lcd again.  Here's what happened.  My lcd showed 1024 x 768 at 6o hz and it filled the whole screen of the lcd.  But it's not sharp.  I went to display settings of the pc, selected the next higher resolution (1280 x 768).  Picture came out sharp but there's a black bar on the left of the screen, and the right side is cropped a little (sorry but I have to correct my previous post when I said there are black bars to the left and right of the picture).  So it seems that resolution is ok but the picture is not centered.  I went to see the manual, and I read somewhere that under SET UP, you can choose "PC", and from there adjust the picture.  Allegedly, you can move picture left, right, up, and down to center it.  The big problem is, when I go to SET UP, the PC option is blocked (naka-white siya) and I can't enter it.  I tried everything but I can't go to PC set up. If I can only center the picture, I'll be happy with it na because the resolution is OK.   I called samsung techical support and they also couldn't tell me what's wrong.  They said that they will have to see the unit and go to the SERVICE menu.

To anyone who has a 32" samsung LCD, can you go to the PC settings while connected to the laptop/PC?  If yes, then there must be really something wrong with my unit.  By the way, since I can't enter the PC SET UP, I can't do the "auto adjust".

ericag_ph, my TV's resolution is 1366 x 768.  My laptops's native resolution is 1280 x 768. 
allenwfc,  I checked my driver and it is updated to the latest version.  If I go to a resolution higher than 1280 x 768, the picture on the LCD disappears (blank screen).
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 10:38 PM by R1DVD »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:02 PM »
When I connect my PC to the LCD TV, The TV's "PC mode" menu is useable.

I connect via VGA, not via PC DVI-HDMI  which according to the manual is not supported. 

I also do not use the svideo/composite output of my PC and laptop to connect to the LCD TV...that would produce a poor quality picture.

How are you connecting to the LCD TV from the laptop?  Svideo? 

My manual also states, TV max resolution is 1360x768 not 1366. 
If your laptop's maximum resolution is 1280x768, I'd use 1024x768 and display 4:3 or 16:9 on the TV. 

You can also try reducing color depth and refresh rate on the laptop.  It might be able to display higher resolutions with lesser color depth  (ie.  use 16bit instead of 32 bit). 

Try updating the video driver of your laptop.
Try powerstrip...

Okay, this might help, this is how I am setup:

On my PC, I use a dual display (17" LCD monitor and 40" Samsung LCD TV).

Display 1:  PC DVI to LCD monitor DVI
screen resolution slider is 1280x1024 maximum -32bit  like your laptop I pressume.  Driver of LCD monitor is loaded in the PC.

Display 2:  PC VGA to LCD TV VGA set at 1360x768@60Hz 32bit 
I am able to move the screen resolution slider of display 2 all the way to 2048x1536 which I don't use for obvious reasons.  I am able to select 1360x768 on the slider of display 2, not display 1.

While displaying something on the PC...try the "PC option" menu on the TV.

Bottom line, you need to have your laptop display the max resolution of your LCD TV. 

My 4 year old laptop has a higher resolution capability than my 6 month old LCD TV. 

ericag_ph, my TV's resolution is 1366 x 768.  My laptops's native resolution is 1280 x 768. 
allenwfc,  I checked my driver and it is updated to the latest version.  If I go to a resolution higher than 1280 x 768, the picture on the LCD disappears (blank screen).
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:22 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:20 PM »
I also connect my laptop to LCD via vga cable (the generic ones, not branded).  Nagtataka lang ako how come I can't enter PC set-up.  The solution to my problem lies there.  I'm not happy with the 1024 x 768 resolution,  The 1280 x 768 is nice and clear, hindi lang siya centered.  If only I can adjust it at PC set-up page.  Anyway, will just wait for the Samsung technician tomorrow.  I'm almost tempted to try powerstrip, but I read somewhere sa web page nila na I could damage my monitor (LCD).

ericag_ph, can you tell me step by step how to use powerstrip?  So sorry, I don't know anything about it.  I already downloaded it but am afraid to use it.  So you're using it and you set the resolution to 1360 x 768?

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:29 PM »
Yes, powerstrip can damage your monitor if you use the incorrect settings.
The correct settings can be found in your TV's manual.

Basically you give powerstrip the custom resolution
(1360x768...or 1366) you want, and the horizontal frequency at that resolution, and the vertical frequency at that resolution.

You'll have to read the docs on powerstrip.  Last time I used it was 4 years
ago for my laptop.  It did the job.

Try one more thing on your laptop before powerstrip.... use dual display mode.  output on the laptop's screen -and- the LCD TV.  see if you can do anything on display 2 (ie. change resolutions).

I currently don't use powerstrip...my updated ATI driver on my PC supports
the 1360x768 at 60Hz resolution by default.

I also connect my laptop to LCD via vga cable (the generic ones, not branded).  Nagtataka lang ako how come I can't enter PC set-up.  The solution to my problem lies there.  I'm not happy with the 1024 x 768 resolution,  The 1280 x 768 is nice and clear, hindi lang siya centered.  If only I can adjust it at PC set-up page.  Anyway, will just wait for the Samsung technician tomorrow.  I'm almost tempted to try powerstrip, but I read somewhere sa web page nila na I could damage my monitor (LCD).

ericag_ph, can you tell me step by step how to use powerstrip?  So sorry, I don't know anything about it.  I already downloaded it but am afraid to use it.  So you're using it and you set the resolution to 1360 x 768?
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:34 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2007 at 05:57 AM »
Try one more thing on your laptop before powerstrip.... use dual display mode.  output on the laptop's screen -and- the LCD TV.  see if you can do anything on display 2 (ie. change resolutions).
I've tried that but got the same result.  Nice, clear, but decentered picture.  Nakakatakot pala ang powerstrip. 
But you know what?  When connected to the laptop and I press info button on the remote, it says at the bottom 1360 x 768 @ 60 hz.  Which means tama ang resolution (kaya pala clear siya) kaya lang de-centered pa rin.  Anyway, I'll just wait for the samsung technician to adjust this.  I'm sure they can adjust this using the service menu
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2007 at 06:49 AM by R1DVD »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2007 at 06:01 PM »
I've tried that but got the same result.  Nice, clear, but decentered picture.  Nakakatakot pala ang powerstrip. 
But you know what?  When connected to the laptop and I press info button on the remote, it says at the bottom 1360 x 768 @ 60 hz.  Which means tama ang resolution (kaya pala clear siya) kaya lang de-centered pa rin.  Anyway, I'll just wait for the samsung technician to adjust this.  I'm sure they can adjust this using the service menu

hope the technician helps out.

just post if the technician cant fix it, and we will have to thin of plan c :)

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2007 at 08:03 PM »
hope the technician helps out.

just post if the technician cant fix it, and we will have to thin of plan c :)

Di napuntahan ng technician kanina.  Will schedule with technician tomorrow

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 04:52 PM »
question lang to those who uses VGA cable to connect their laptop to their samsung LCD... how many pins does your cable have.  The 1 I got has 15 (complete set) pins.  Yesterday, I went looking for other VGA cables and some cables that I saw only have 14 pins (missing 1 pin in middle row).  A friend of mine who successfully connected his laptop to an R71 uses Monster VGA cable also with 1 missing pin in middle row.  I looked at VGA cables at Belkin website (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=14679) and their VGA cable also has 1 missing pin in the middle row.  Could this be the cause of my problem?  Para saan ba yung missing pin na yun.  Baka kaya may problema ang connection ko kasi mine has the complete set of 15 pins.  Mga P're, pakitingnan naman yung VGA cable na gamit niyo.  Anyway, the samsung technician will bring his own VGA cable din today.

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 06:54 PM »
Finally, naayos na rin problema ko sa laptop connection.  The samsung technician came and brought with him a VGA cable (VGA cable daw ito na supplied with every purchase of Samsung LCD computer monitor).  I showed him the problem at taka rin siya bakit ganun.  Next, we tried his cable (15 pins present, walang missing pin).  First thing that I noticed was very sharp ang contrast.  Everything is soooo clear and sharp, pero de-centered pa rin.  My laptop was set at 1280 x 768 resolution pero ang nagreregister when I press INFO button on the remote ay 1360 x 768 @ 60 hz.  Next we went to the PC setup and to my surprise, the PC setup was accessible.  I accessed it and chose "auto adjust", and just like magic, the picture centered itself on the LCD.  So now I know that the problem lies in the cable and not my LCD or laptop's videocard.  All I need to do now is get a good quality VGA cable.  Yung nabili ko kasi ay yung tig P128 sa Octagon.  Hirap kasi maghanap ng VGA cable

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 07:15 PM »
Finally, naayos na rin problema ko sa laptop connection.  The samsung technician came and brought with him a VGA cable (VGA cable daw ito na supplied with every purchase of Samsung LCD computer monitor).  I showed him the problem at taka rin siya bakit ganun.  Next, we tried his cable (15 pins present, walang missing pin).  First thing that I noticed was very sharp ang contrast.  Everything is soooo clear and sharp, pero de-centered pa rin.  My laptop was set at 1280 x 768 resolution pero ang nagreregister when I press INFO button on the remote ay 1360 x 768 @ 60 hz.  Next we went to the PC setup and to my surprise, the PC setup was accessible.  I accessed it and chose "auto adjust", and just like magic, the picture centered itself on the LCD.  So now I know that the problem lies in the cable and not my LCD or laptop's videocard.  All I need to do now is get a good quality VGA cable.  Yung nabili ko kasi ay yung tig P128 sa Octagon.  Hirap kasi maghanap ng VGA cable

try buying at pc-express or the better "shops"

i just checked my generic cable and its also 15 pins

Offline seahaven

• Collector
  • i like DVDs
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 03, 2007 at 02:12 AM »
i'm having a hard time adjusting the resolution on my samsung la32r8 lcd tv. my laptop video card is ati radeon 9000 and supports multiple monitors, my laptop monitor serves as the default. When adjusting resolution to the lcd tv (secondary monitor) to  1360x768 , message coming from tv is "mode not supported" but when lowering it down, there is output on lcd , it is just that its not very clear, picture centered but icons not shown, when i direct the cursor to the left most corner , i cannot see the cursor on my laptop but can be on the tv.  its now frustrating me, anybody here who can assist me?

btw i have the 5-meter 15-pin vga cable which i bought at a shop at greenhills for 450.00. 

my purpose for wanting to connect it to the tv is to test the hd videos i downloaded as said videos are not supported by the samsung dvd /divx player .  message received when playing the hd files is |resolution exceeds 760x4xx.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 03, 2007 at 08:11 AM »
Try reading the postings above, it may already have the info that you need.

I have an LA40R71B LCD TV.  Check your manual for the maximum resolution and refresh rate.
Chances are it is 60Hz,  Set all refresh rates (including on your laptop to 60Hz to be sure).

Make sure you have the latest video drivers installed...and the video codecs you need to display those
video files (xvid,divx,ogm,avi,mp4,qt...etc...).

i'm having a hard time adjusting the resolution on my samsung la32r8 lcd tv. my laptop video card is ati radeon 9000 and supports multiple monitors, my laptop monitor serves as the default. When adjusting resolution to the lcd tv (secondary monitor) to  1360x768 , message coming from tv is "mode not supported" but when lowering it down, there is output on lcd , it is just that its not very clear, picture centered but icons not shown, when i direct the cursor to the left most corner , i cannot see the cursor on my laptop but can be on the tv.  its now frustrating me, anybody here who can assist me?

btw i have the 5-meter 15-pin vga cable which i bought at a shop at greenhills for 450.00. 

my purpose for wanting to connect it to the tv is to test the hd videos i downloaded as said videos are not supported by the samsung dvd /divx player .  message received when playing the hd files is |resolution exceeds 760x4xx.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #29 on: Jun 03, 2007 at 11:39 AM »
i've used a DVI to VGA and DVI to HDMI cable on my S71 and I like the results of the DVI to VGA better. Now i am forced to run on a DVI to HDMI cable but it is mildly tolerable.

Sa VGA kasi it detects and sets the resolution of the computer to the native hardware resolution of the LCD TV

SA HDMI naman the computer chooses 720p and forces the LCD TV to scale the image thus the image quality degrades somewhat.

The Samsungs are nearly perfect imo but the inclusion of a VGA port is daft other than it being useful for those with an Xbox 360 + VGA cable.