Author Topic: Recommend a Projector  (Read 66377 times)

Offline neo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Projector
« Reply #90 on: Feb 25, 2003 at 07:37 AM »
hi everglide,

Actually, you'll still have black bars at the top and bottom of your screen just like when watching "letterboxed" movies because you are viewing a "widescreen" DVD on a 4:3 projector panel.  However, unlike in "letterbox", these upper and lower portions of the panel are actually "turned-off" instead of just projecting black.  

When watching an anamorphic DVD, the projector (switched to widescreen mode) will use only the middle 800x450 pixels for projecting the DVDs full 480 resolution lines.  Although the native resolution of the projector is 4:3 (800x600), switching it to "widescreen mode" in effect turns it into an 800x450 widescreen projector.

Cheers  8)
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2003 at 07:46 AM by neo »

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 03:16 AM »
thanks neo for the warm welcome!
so meaning no more black bars on the top and bottom when you switch to widescreen mode (X1)?
thanks!

yes you'll still have the black bars, and depends on the aspect ratio of the movie, remember, maraming aspect ratios na naglabasan na widescreens, most popular is the 2.35:1, but if you're gonna watch movies with 16:9 ARs, bale mukhang full screen na sya but your resolution was cropped to 800x450 instead of the native 800x600, which is fairly ok since wala naman nawala dahil wala naman talagang data dun sa 150pixels na na-crop out

and yes, the X1 is native 4:3 but with widescreen (16:9) mode

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 01:30 PM »
Hong Kong, unfortunately. You can get the Sony VPL-VW10HT for even less than the Sanyo. You should check that out too.

Sony VPL-VW10HT is expensive here because Custom charged taxes to it like the projection T.V. Sanyo SW-20 is tax lower since the model most of you mentioned are for data projection. Thus it is much more for business presentation.

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 02:53 PM »
Hey Guys,

Baka interested kayo sa SONY PROJECTORS....we are having a SPECIAL SALE....

look at the general section

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2003 at 05:09 PM »
Both X1 and Z1 are now available, and I think prices have dropped a lot , since I saw advertising from microdata ( sanyo dealer) a xga projector w/ screen + dvd player for P79K i think...

Does anyone here have new prices for these ...

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #95 on: Jun 03, 2003 at 03:48 AM »
What's the farthest and biggest picture size have you guys projected? I'm getting a 15 feet diagonal screen and I'm a bit scared that the projector (Infocus X1) wouldn't project a good image on screen. I've used the display calculator on Infocus and it says I'd need to position the projector 22-26 feet away from the screen & the projector's rated to go back til 32 feet. So anyone experienced with this predicament?

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Jun 03, 2003 at 07:58 AM »
Lots of owners say the X1 should not be projected to more than 80 inches, 90 max. Check out avsforum, lots of X1 owners there. It loses a lot of its brightness as the image gets even slightly bigger than that. Few DLP owners (of other models) project to greater than 110 inch diagonal.

The only one I've heard of that people project to more than 10 feet, with good results, is the big Sony LCD (model 10, 11, and now 12).

Good luck! Nothing like a pj.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Jun 03, 2003 at 06:36 PM »
Oh bugger... So I'm stuck at 8 feet diagonal? :(

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jun 03, 2003 at 07:41 PM »
I've decided to buy the X1 in the US. I'll be able to get the projector for $899.00 (after rebate) and the 9x12' projector screen for $402.

Can anyone suggest an online retailer for the above two item and what brand of screen is the best to get?

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Jun 03, 2003 at 10:43 PM »
 15feet diagonal is way too big for the X1 to handle...max you can get without sacrificing PQ is 100" across 4:3 AR at a distance of probably at least 3.5m and up...you can use infocus' distance/screensize calculator but as ive said, dont go over 100" otherwise its crap

so far, its quite difficult to find an online retailer from the US that accepts international orders, accepts  credits cards not issued in US and/or delivers internationally

this was my option before but ended up buying from a UK based online retailer kasi nga wala ako makita, and besides, i computed the customs charge and VAT plus the delivery and added it to the cost, would turn out almost the same as ive gotten it over here so no difference at all

also, the free 3 year extended warranty and rebate is not honored outside the US and have expired already last 31 MAY

for screen, get either a blackout fabric or a parkland plastic...right now im using a blackout fabric and its doing great, somehow minimized the rainbows...am still looking for a parkland plastic though

Offline Dolpy Digital

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jun 06, 2003 at 11:37 PM »
For what its worth, I auditioned a NEC HT-1000 (yep, one of the Top Faves in AVSForum & Proj Cntrl) through
a local NEC dealer and it was fantastic.

To my eyes, it's as good as the Screenplay 7200 w/c
is an HD2 DLP and yet costs much less. It'll be a nice gift for Father's day..... keep dream'n.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jun 06, 2003 at 11:57 PM »
BHPhoto.com sells & ships equipment to international customers.

I'm having the unit shipped to a US address. The $100 rebate on the above mentioned website is extended til June 30th. Dunno about the warranty extension though.

I'll probably buy the screen here. Hauling luggage 15 feet long is no picknick.

I find the pricetag of the NEC a bit too daunting but I feel the specs doesn't warrant this. Only improvements I see over the X1's the contrast, XGA resolution, inclusion of a DVI-D port, lower noise and a PC Card reader. With everything else medyo lugi ka.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2003 at 12:37 AM by DViant »

Offline Dolpy Digital

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jun 08, 2003 at 02:11 AM »
The local price on the NEC HT-1000 I got was fairly close to the online prices advertised in the US, which is way below its MSRP.

I thought of ordering the unit online from the US and shipped to a US address, but the hassle of bringing it back here and the warranty coverage incase of service and repairs will be a major headache. Getting it from a local NEC dealer should take care of this problem.

I may also add that the HT-1000 has a sealed light engine/optic, a 4x speed six segment color wheel, and a few other features that make it a class of its own, and features found to units costing much more.

Goodluck!

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jun 08, 2003 at 03:48 AM »
BHPhoto.com sells & ships equipment to international customers.

I'm having the unit shipped to a US address. The $100 rebate on the above mentioned website is extended til June 30th. Dunno about the warranty extension though.

I'll probably buy the screen here. Hauling luggage 15 feet long is no picknick.

I find the pricetag of the NEC a bit too daunting but I feel the specs doesn't warrant this. Only improvements I see over the X1's the contrast, XGA resolution, inclusion of a DVI-D port, lower noise and a PC Card reader. With everything else medyo lugi ka.

i think ive tried getting one from them also and if i remember it correctly, they wont allow credit card purchase unless the card is issued in the US or it's a Diners or American Express credit card.....another way to pay is thru wire transfer

anyway, goodluck on your hunt

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Jun 08, 2003 at 05:54 PM »
The local price on the NEC HT-1000 I got was fairly close to the online prices advertised in the US, which is way below its MSRP.

Dolpy, could you please PM the dealer and, if you don't mind, the price. Thanks!

Offline Dolpy Digital

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 03:55 PM »
For those who might be interested on Front Projectors (FP), the local NEC dealer I earlier  got a quote for the NEC HT-1000 is AVLS, All Visual & Lights System.

Aside from NEC FP's they also carry EPSON, models TW-100H, and the OPTOMA brand w/c are also very good-excellent for HT use. The prices are reasonable and provide full warranty and service on their Fp's.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Jun 13, 2003 at 10:46 PM »
Purchasing the X1 is proving to be most difficult. I hope I can find a reseller in Las Vegas.

Offline evergliden

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jul 04, 2003 at 03:10 PM »
i just got the sanyo plv-z1. i was surprise with the good image and clarity of colors, it's a good buy for the price!
thanks neo and kimera!

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #108 on: Jul 06, 2003 at 07:09 AM »
Are Sharpvision projectors any good?

Offline bigbird2323

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Jul 07, 2003 at 02:48 AM »
between the z1 and the x1,which one would you choose?

Offline maxpayne

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Jul 10, 2003 at 09:15 AM »
you guys may want to take a look at the sony cineza vpl-hs1.  talked to a guy from a firm called avidpro and he said they are selling these at p120k with free dvd player (sony dvp-k370).  call marvs arcega at 843-9052.

on the other hand, you may also want to take a look at the lg rd-jt21 dlp projector.  avidpro is also selling this at p95k.  

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Jul 11, 2003 at 07:25 AM »
Are Sharpvision projectors any good?

the Sharp XV Z1000 is one heck of a projector parekoy

try to audition the Z1 and the X1, best bang for the buck whichever you get between the two

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Jul 11, 2003 at 03:04 PM »
Do you guys know if the x1 or the z1 is available in hongkong,I have a friend whos going there .

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Jul 16, 2003 at 12:37 AM »
my friend agreed to bring in the sanyo plv-z1 at 85k landed price,anybody interested just let me know  ;D

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Jul 16, 2003 at 09:53 PM »
Wow, the projector boom has hit pdvd!  :)

I can empathize; the last time I made a presentation using a business projector, I sneaked in a tape measure to see how many diagonal inches the pj was throwing. Sabi tuloy ng cliente, "Ang sama yata ng balak mo, a."

BTW, for those eyeing the Cineza, X1, and Z1, I hear that the Panasonic L300u is a great alternative.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2003 at 06:00 AM by slowhand »

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Jul 16, 2003 at 11:50 PM »
yup,and so i hear but its selling here at 130k  ;D.

Offline nosferatu

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Jul 17, 2003 at 01:14 PM »
I have a friend whos a reseller of Panasonic Projectors, for those of you who are interested, you can e mail me privately your contact details and ill have them send  you the details i.e specs, pricing

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 01:44 PM »
Yipee,I Finally got my Sanzo plv-z1,but I need a 25 ft long male to male vga cable,does anybody have any idea where i can get one.Thanks

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 08:24 PM »
Congratulations bigbird!!!  ;D

Since I'm kinda scared about the rainbow effects on X1...

I think I'm going to take the plunge with an Epson Powerlite S1(LCD) . I've seen it perform on TechTV - ScreenSavers ... Even with a TV studio environment, the video was still viewable (Pearl Harbor DVD)...

I checked out the specs, ok naman. 1200 ANSI Lumens, HDTV, 4:3/16:9... They have a fix for the screendoor effect, even though visible ok na daw.

BTW, it costs $999 (U.S.) ...

A local distributor (Audio Visual) sells it at 72k.

Guys what do you think?

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Jul 22, 2003 at 12:09 AM »
Why not just go for the z1,I read the review of the s1 at projector central and it is not that encouraging. ;D