Author Topic: NewsRadio Seasons 1-4 - Now at 60% Off at Amazon!  (Read 1920 times)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NewsRadio Seasons 1-4 - Now at 60% Off at Amazon!
« on: Nov 25, 2003 at 09:05 PM »
How many seasons did this show run?

Anyway, Season 1 and 2 coming next year, February.  :)

Season 1 - 7 episodes
Season 2 - 21 episodes

God bless Phil Hartman.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:32 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Atticus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • In the end, only kindness matters.
  • Liked:
Re:Newsradio Season 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2003 at 07:04 AM »
Finally, the DVD is coming out! I have been waiting for this one. I hope they did a good transfer.

Thanks for the news, CrUzSACK! ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2003 at 04:35 PM »
OMG! i didn't know tiffany was on newsradio! (c'mon... that can't be vicky lewis?!) :o

great show... and tamang-tama na sa february ang labas... he he he...  ::)

i think it lasted 5 seasons... not entirely sure tho.  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2003 at 11:02 AM »
Yeah, it was 5 seasons. I think The "i" Channel only showed the first 3, though.

This is also a must-have for me. It's gonna be funny seeing Joe Rogan and not having him say "I'm Joe Rogan and this is Fear Factor. The stunts you are about to see were all designed and supervised by trained professionals. They are extremely dangerous and should not be attempted by anyone, anytime, anywhere."

;D

=====

Some NewsRadio trivia:

1. A different actress played Catherine in the pilot. CSI: Miami's Khandi Alexander took over the role when the series was picked up.

2. The role of the handiman was originally written for Ray Romano. The character was called "Ted Garelli". Ray Romano quit before filming began, since contract negotiations had started for Everybody Loves Raymond. Joe Rogan was a last minute replacement, and kept on missing his cue when people were calling him "Ted," so they changed the character's name to "Joe Garelli" instead.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2003 at 11:20 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2003 at 06:54 AM »
Nge. That's Joe Rogan? He was an actor? Hehe! I didn't know that. I cannot remember him...who was he on the show? I remember everybody except him and the guy below him. ;D  Buti na lang 5 seasons lang - madali lang ipunin especially since  2 seasons na agad first set. ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 02:41 AM »
Nge. That's Joe Rogan? He was an actor? Hehe! I didn't know that. I cannot remember him...who was he on the show? I remember everybody except him and the guy below him. ;D  Buti na lang 5 seasons lang - madali lang ipunin especially since  2 seasons na agad first set. ;D

yup... he was an actor... don't think he did any other acting jobs tho... you should hear his stand-up comedy routines (lotta angst there..)

which guy were you referring to? andy dick? or the "guy- who-played-the-radio-station-owner-whose-name-escapes- me-at-the-moment"? if it's the latter... he wasn't on the show too much...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 08:08 AM »
Joe Rogan did stand-ups????  :o Did he click? Was he funny?  I was referring to the "guy- who-played-the-radio-station-owner-whose-name-escapes- me-at-the-moment-TOO" ;D......... That's probably why we don't remember him, he wasn't on the show much! Maybe Mr. Hankey knows what his name is... :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 10:40 AM »
Joe Rogan did stand-ups???? Did he click? Was he funny?

Judge for yourself. Click here. It's my brand of humor.  8)

He has a lot of sound clips and short videos of his stand up at his official web site, http://www.joerogan.net. Most of the videos are here. You'll find others scattered throughout the site. CrUzSACK, may source ba kayo ni P@RC where you can get Joe's stand up act on DVD? It's not available at Amazon.

I was referring to the "guy- who-played-the-radio-station-owner-whose-name-escapes- me-at-the-moment-TOO" ......... That's probably why we don't remember him, he wasn't on the show much! Maybe Mr. Hankey knows what his name is...

He played station owner "Jimmy James", right? Can't remember the actor's name. Maybe Steven something? If I post it here later, I cheated and looked at IMDb.  ;D

Speaking of Andy Dick, though - the DVD currently in my player is The Ben Stiller Show. It's really funny, if dated (the spoofs are from 1992). I didn't know the show starred Stiller, Andy Dick, Bob Odenkirk from Mr. Show, and Janeane Garofalo. And the guest list is also impressive: Mark Wahlberg, Norman Fell (Mr. Roper), Todd Bridges, Bobcat Goldthwait, Susan Anton, Casey Kasem, Sarah Jessica Parker, Colin Quinn, Rob Morrow, Dennis Miller, Roseanne Barr... and many more.

Hard to believe the show got prematurely cancelled. I'm glad it now has a second life on DVD.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2003 at 10:45 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 02:36 PM »
He played station owner "Jimmy James", right? Can't remember the actor's name. Maybe Steven something? If I post it here later, I cheated and looked at IMDb.  ;D

Hard to believe the show got prematurely cancelled. I'm glad it now has a second life on DVD.

Jimmy James was played by Stephen Root, who is likewise memorable in every film role I've seen him in, such as Milton in Office Space and the blind radio station owner in Oh Brother Where Art Though. (Exception - blah role in blah movie Bicentennial Man.)

This is one of my all time favorite shows. This was the show I voted for DVD release on the  tvshowsondvd.com,  and I had pre-ordered my copy with Amazon the first day the same was available for pre-order. It's a shame that i Channel showed only the first three seasons. I've since been able to see the fourth season, and it arguably showed the series at its creative peak. The fifth season, the one with Jon Lovitz vice Phil Hartman, was not as bad as advertised, it was very funny in its own way, although the direction of the show grew progressively weirder, as if Phil Simms et al. knew that the show wasn't going to be renewed.

I think that this show featured the best ensemble cast in sitcom history. Even Joe Rogan finds his niche, and it is because of NewsRadio that I've forgiven him for Fear Factor.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2003 at 02:37 PM by gurang »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 05:04 PM »
Judge for yourself. Click here. It's my brand of humor.  8)

He has a lot of sound clips and short videos of his stand up at his official web site, http://www.joerogan.net. Most of the videos are here. You'll find others scattered throughout the site.

Aba...stand-up nga!  ;D I just listened to his mp3 samples...I can't believe it's Joe Rogan! He's funny alright  ........ I can't believe it's Joe Rogan!

CrUzSACK, may source ba kayo ni P@RC where you can get Joe's stand up act on DVD? It's not available at Amazon.

Exclusive release then? Doubt PARC and his sources can get it. It would be nice to have it though.... I can't believe Joe Rogan does stand-ups! ;D

the DVD currently in my player is The Ben Stiller Show.

Ehh.......borrow? ;D :-[ ;D

Can't wait to get Newsradio! ;)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 10:56 PM »
ah... meron na palang DVDs yung stand up routine ni joe rogan... last time i checked puro audio CDs pa lang... mukhang kailangan ma-visit ulit... is he still on tour? i wonder... i discovered that "really-sick-elvis-impersonator" via his website...brrrrr! very weird!

si stephen root nga pala name nya!... he's actually a pretty good character actor... parang chameleon sa mga roles despite his erm "physicality" (especially when he switches accents) plus, magaling pumili ng projects... (of course, there are exceptions, as gurang pointed out.)

now if only lea thompson's "caronline in the city" would come out on dvd... maski first season lang (kasi it all went downhill from there.)...  ::)

i still can't over the fact that THAT'S vicky lewis in the cover... sobrang kamukha ni "tiffany" (the singer!)
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2003 at 11:04 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2003 at 06:30 AM »
Release date has been changed according to TVshowsOnDVD! The DVD release has been delayed.  :(  Okay lang delayed wag lang cancelled.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2003 at 06:32 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2003 at 12:13 PM »
Release date has been changed according to TVshowsOnDVD! The DVD release has been delayed.  :(  Okay lang delayed wag lang cancelled.

Happy happy news. The following was posted on tvshowsondvd.com

"A few weeks ago we told you that NewsRadio was delayed. The set was originally scheduled for release on Feb 3rd, and the new date, or the reason for the delay, wasn't known.

This past week we contacted Columbia TriStar to find out why the set was delayed, and we got some good news. The set that was to be released in Feb was going to be a 3 disc set with very few special features. Creator Paul Simms caught wind of this and called Columbia TriStar and asked to take part in the set. Simms has material that can be used for special features and plans to add more. Because of Simms' involvement, the set couldn't be finished for 2/03, and the new date isn't known.

I must say that I'm extremely excited about this new information. When I heard about the set back in July at the VSDA (Video Software Dealer's Association) show, I knew the 3 discs couldn't hold all the episodes and any substantial value added material, and I was a bit bummed. NewsRadio is a show I really want to own on DVD, so the delay of the set in order to make it better is welcomed. Columbia TriStar, and Paul Simms, deserve pats on the back for doing the right thing.

Hopefully we can get in touch with Paul Simms and find out what he has planned for the set."

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2003 at 10:12 PM »
Yeah. can't wait for this set. Phil Hartman was extremely funny in this series (aside from his Simpsons voices)!!!

Maura Tierny was unbelivably hot then..

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005491/

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: Newsradio Season 1 and 2
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 10:31 PM »
After over a year, the street date of this title was announced: May 24, 2005.

It's currently up for pre-order at Amazon.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2005 at 10:33 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Newsradio Season 1 and 2
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2005 at 09:19 PM »
Picked up my copy from Amazon, devoured it over the three day weekend.

These were not my favorite seasons of Newsradio (Seasons 3 and 4 are, although I think Skycable only aired the first two seasons), but Season 2 and parts of Season 1 are great nonetheless. Rewatching the series, I can't help but think this must have been the best sitcom ensemble cast ever, or at least that I have seen. As pointed out in the commentaries, there are eight lead characters in the show, and any two of them have a distinct relationship that emerges throughout the show. That's a total of 32 (I think) different character threads, and all of them work very well.

And may I say best commentaries ever. All the surviving cast members participate (though not altogether), as well as creator Paul Simms, and occasional writers and directors. All the actors talk about how this was their best working experience ever, and the bond between them shows up even in the commentaries, particularly between Andy Dick and Joe Rogan. And it is also quite funny how the other cast members rib Joe Rogan about Fear Factor, which Rogan readily admits is crap (his own name for Fear Factor, "Joe Gets Paid"). There are also thoughtful remembrances of Phil Hartman, who it seems was a real class act.

And there is a conscious effort in the commentaries to avoid dead air. They do this by adopting certain commentary themes for each episode, though they do get scene-specific occasionally. For example, one commentary talks about how the show was developed, another for writer disputes, and one strictly about the cast. There even is a eye-raising commentary featuring Paul Simms and former NBC head Warren Littlefield. Littlefield begins by praising Newsradio as brilliant and unique, and is almost immediately ambushed by Simms and the writers with questions why NBC always shifted the show  around into unsuitable timeslots. In the end, Littlefield is forced to admit that he made a mistake by not taking care of Newsradio more, and even saying that his present experience outside the networks as a producer has made him a more humble person. Many TV commentaries b**ch about network executives, but this is the first I know of that directly confronts the beast and vanquishes him into submission.

Only disappointment is that there are no other special features other than a featurette cribbed from Season 1 promotional material and a 12 minute gag reel. But the commentaries more than make up for this deficiency, and the set is well worth it for the fan. I hope this sells well enough so that Columbia will be convinced to release the rest of the series as well.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2005 at 09:23 PM by gurang »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: NewsRadio Seasons 1-4 - Now at 60% Off at Amazon!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:32 PM »
Guys, a quick head's up:

If anyone wants to get Seasons 1-4 of this excellent show, they're currently selling for 60% off at Amazon!

Not sure how long the sale will last, so go there ASAP if you're interested.