Author Topic: Peter Pan: Platinum Edition (March 6, 2007)  (Read 3224 times)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Peter Pan: Platinum Edition (March 6, 2007)
« on: Oct 05, 2006 at 09:19 AM »

The 8th Platinum Edition has been on store shelves for just a bit over 24 hours, and we've already managed to score some firm details and high-res cover art from #9, Peter Pan: Platinum Edition. Disney's 1953 adaptation of J.M. Barrie's beloved children's tale will fly to DVD on March 6, 2007. The digitally restored film will be offered in 1.33:1 fullscreen (approximating the Academy Ratio it was created for) and your choice of an all-new 5.1 channel Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, the restored original theatrical soundtrack, or French and Spanish dubs. Among the announced bonus features are "In Walt's Words" (newly-discovered footage of the studio's namesake explaining why he made Peter Pan), the 1952 featurette The Peter Pan Story, "You Can Fly: The Making of Peter Pan", deleted songs, multi-level Camp Never Land set-top games, and a sneak peek of next August's direct-to-video CG-animated film Tinker Bell.

--ultimatedisney
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2006 at 02:04 PM by RNIverson »

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Peter Pan: Platinum Edition (March 6, 2007)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2006 at 09:41 PM »
nice! ganda ng cover art... :) :) :)
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2006 at 09:41 PM by ThePatriot »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2006 at 12:06 AM »
but why fullscreen only  ???

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2006 at 12:24 AM »
Widescreen movie were first premiered by Hollywood in 1953 with The Robe.  Prior to that, all movies are in Fullscreen (Academy Ratio 1.37:1 or something close).   Peter Pan (Disney) was released in February 1953, and is in Fullscreen, so that aspect ratio is correct. 

OT: Interesting Trivia:  From tomorrow's Inquirer:
The Peter Pan novel loses it's copyright next year.  And the hospital which hold the copyright had authorized an official sequel:

http://newsinfo.inq7.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=25026
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2006 at 12:34 AM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2006 at 09:06 AM »
thanks for the info sir. now i know what's the academy ratio they're talking about. if that's the case then let it be fullscreen then...

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2006 at 01:59 PM »
now available for preorder at amazon. so early  :D
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2006 at 02:35 AM by RNIverson »

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2006 at 02:07 AM »
page from The Little Mermaid booklet.

8)
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2006 at 02:18 AM by hemisphere »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2007 at 09:42 PM »
First review from DVDTalk:

"Peter Pan truly is a classic among classics. This timeless tale about everlasting childhood has captivated the world and Disney's version is one of the most memorable. Any Disney fan has to have this movie in their collection and this Platinum Edition is the best release to date. The video and audio quality is superb and despite the fact that some of the bonus content has been carried over from the Special Edition the supplemental features are great as well. Whether or not you double dip (it's a common thing with Disney) is entirely up to your appreciation of the film. Whatever the case, Peter Pan: Platinum Edition comes with a VERY high recommendation."

Out this week!

The first batch of Disney Platinum Editions usually comes with slipcase, then the next is without...  so it's better to preorder it than to wait...

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2007 at 02:09 AM »
Hopefully, they include the audio commentary of Roy Disney (and others) from the SE release.

:)

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2007 at 02:21 AM »
It does.

Again according to DVDTalk:

"Once again keeping up the trend of the Platinum line Disney has included two discs worth of bonus materials to keep fans happy.

On the first disc you'll find some sneak peaks, a quick song selection, and a short storybook tale about Peter's pranks. These are lightweight features for sure but the first disc also has an Audio Commentary that is definitely worth checking out. Granted some of you may have heard this material before but if you haven't you'll be pleasantly surprised. Hosted by Roy Disney the Commentary includes a multitude of people whose comments have been edited together not to go along with what's on screen but to provide information about the film in general. Leonard Maltin, John Canemaker, and even Walt Disney himself have audio clips that appear here.

The second disc houses the bulk of the special features. On the musical side of things there is a lost pirate song complete with original lyrics and sketches. Voice actors kind of reenact the scene with some singing tossed into the mix. There is also another song called "Never Land" from before Disney began working on the film. Composer Richard M. Sherman got his hands on it and worked with Paige O'Hara to complete the vision. The end result is a nice sounding song that definitely fits into the Pan mythos. There is also a dreadful music video for "The Second Star to the Right" by T-Squad.

Next up is a section of random offering of games for the kiddies that provide no entertainment or challenge for adults. If you want to find the good stuff you have to look at the "Backstage Disney" menu. "You Can Fly: The Making of Peter Pan" was a great look back at the pre-production of Peter Pan. Filled with commentary from people who had a hand in making the movie and original concept sketches this featurette was quite interesting from a historical perspective. Many may not realize but Peter Pan actually went through many revisions and was originally supposed to be a darker looking tale.

After that is "In Walt's Words: Why I Made Peter Pan". Folks working for the Disney archives have discovered an article written by Walt in April of 1953 for a magazine called Brief. Somebody reads the article as if it were Walt himself talking about it and some footage has been added in between. In the article Walt talks about his love of Peter Pan and what attracted him to the character. It's interesting to note that originally Peter Pan was supposed to be the second Disney feature; not the 14th.

The next feature on the disc is all about Tinker Bell and how her character came to be the way it was. It's mostly fluff but there are a few interesting conceptual designs tossed in that fans may have not seen before. The next feature is about the Peter Pan that almost was. Ron Clements and John Musker talk at length about the steps that Peter Pan took from its very conception. From alternate openings to side stories and characters changes quite a lot is discussed here. They are aided by a wealth of images and original sketches from the Disney Archives that are very nice to see. Most all of these pictures and drawings can be seen in an included Art Gallery on this disc as well.

The last inclusion is a 1952 black and white featurette all about the story of Peter Pan. It's more of the same information with some clippings from the movie and miscellaneous images from production. I suppose I could count the Peter Pan Virtual Flight but it's just another light weight game for the kiddies. Overall the bonus material for Peter Pan is very impressive and worth of a Platinum Release. Some of the features were available on the Special Edition though and bits of the content repeat themselves from extra to extra. Still, there's a lot of worthwhile stuff to take a gander at and there's a ton of information to be found here. "
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2007 at 02:21 AM by techdude »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2007 at 02:29 AM »
That's great! The SE release has a wealth of info and features. I cant wait for my copy. Next year's first Platinum Edition will be 101 Dalmatians btw.

8)

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2007 at 08:19 AM »
preordered a copy, so i hope this time it comes with a slipcase  >:(

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2007 at 12:24 PM »
also looking to add this to my Plat collection...with slipcase of course. ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2007 at 08:38 AM »
anyone who got their copy already? my amazon order is still pending, i think because of the out-of-stock oldboy again  >:(  it seems fate doesn't want to give me a copy  ;D

Offline gadgetguru

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2007 at 10:02 AM »
My copy shipped on 05 March, although I don't expect it for at least another week.

The Oldboy and Peter Pan is the same transaction?  You should have split it up into two...   baka mawalan ka na naman ng slipcase.... 

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2007 at 10:26 AM »
yeah, the same problem i had with The Little Mermaid when i bought it with another delayed preordered dvd.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 04:35 PM »
got a good review from DVDtalk. still waiting for my copy. amazon has confirmed it has a slipcase so no worries this time  :D

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 09:48 PM »
got a good review from DVDtalk. still waiting for my copy. amazon has confirmed it has a slipcase so no worries this time  :D

Unless, it got lost in transit.  :)  Sorry, couldn't resist...

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 11:27 PM »
indeed, came into my mind too  ;D

OT, was planning to remove my previous post since you've already posted some DVDtalk reviews above, but i noticed there's no more 'remove post' link? i think i had that one before... anyway, still no actual pics? hopefully my copy's arriving some time next week. btw, anyone knows if it's just a regular or book-like slipcase?

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 11:41 PM »
"Two single-sided DVDs are housed inside a standard black keepcase, which is itself inside a raised, holographic cardboard slipcover. The cover art is in keeping with the Platinum Edition pattern: big heads float above small scenes. In spite of how that sounds, it looks good. The disc art is printed directly onto the discs, but unlike The Little Mermaid's, the design fills the entire disc with color."

From Ultimate Disney

Looks like those book type slipcase are now a thing of the past...and they are opting for these cheaper to produce slipcases.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 11:52 PM »
indeed, came into my mind too  ;D

OT, was planning to remove my previous post since you've already posted some DVDtalk reviews above, but i noticed there's no more 'remove post' link? i think i had that one before... anyway, still no actual pics? hopefully my copy's arriving some time next week. btw, anyone knows if it's just a regular or book-like slipcase?

pics at theimportforums.com
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2007 at 12:30 AM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 11:54 PM »
got from amazon. i wonder if it's the glowing light...

i hope they don't put that 'first time on 2disc dvd sticker' on the actual slipcase. got my Little Mermaid with that  :'(

from theimportforums.com:

hey, was about to browse that forum. thanks for posting  ;)

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 01:15 AM »
Mabilis lang naman tangalin iyan 'first time on two discs' sticker and unlike the MTRCB sticker, hindi naman ng nagiiwan ng residue or nagsasama ang color pag tinangal.  Nalaman ko nang and Sticker sa Cinderella III ko, baligtad ang pagkakabit (upside down). :)

The one on the right is the actual pic probably... reference photo mostly ang unang pic sa Amazon...

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 02:23 AM »
yep, that's correct. 2nd pic is the actual pic by an amazon customer.

re the sticker, do you do anything before pulling them out? i'm afraid the slipcase might get damaged so i left it. btw, it also has a price sticker at the side  :(  dvd was from yesasia

sorry, a bit OT
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2007 at 02:25 AM by RNIverson »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 02:43 AM »
Just fingernail.  The 'First time on 2-disc' sticker should be easy to remove, but it's not too bad to leave on.  The price sticker might be more troublesome, depending on what kind of sticker Yesasia uses...

Your mileage may vary...  no guarantees, as stated my experience is with Cinderella III, not Little Mermaid.   

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 08:37 AM »
Just leave the sticker intact. In the future, it will serve as a sign of authenticity.

8)

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 11:06 AM »
Yeah, broRN, just leave the stickers on. though they cover a minimal amount of slipcase space, they can serve as a sign of authenticity as sirRedge so eloquently said. ;)
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2007 at 11:50 AM »
Unless, it got lost in transit.  :)  Sorry, couldn't resist...

sorry to disappoint you, just got mine  :P

exactly like this, pati stickers  ;D