Author Topic: Using receiver's speaker B teminals  (Read 889 times)

Offline kane

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Using receiver's speaker B teminals
« on: Dec 18, 2007 at 01:59 PM »
Good afternoon mga gurus!  I just wanna ask if it's ok to use the speaker B terminals of my yamaha receiver provided that both pair of speakers are 6 ohms.  Sabi kasi sa manual, if both terminals are used, dapat 8 ohms or higher yung speakers if the impedance selector is set to the left.  If right naman, 16 ohms or higher dapat.  Just asking if meron na makagawa ng ganito setup.  Or is this only applicable if your using the speakers at the same time.  Thanks guys!

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: Using receiver's speaker B teminals
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 07:29 PM »
I wouldn't suggest you do that, medyo risky sa amp dahil mag iinit if your 6 ohms speakers' impedance would dip lower than 6 ohms (which it will).

Pero there is one trick if you're a bit adventurous (and if it is available in your amp)... Let me explain it a little bit muna...

The impedance selector at the back of most power amps is actually connected to the secondary of the power transformer. For 8 ohms speakers, a higher secondary voltage is used to deliver more power, while for 4 ohms speakers, a lower secondary voltage is selected to accommodate the increase of current that the lower impedance speakers will draw. this is done or else your amps output transistor's safe operating area will be exceeded.

In other words, the impedance selector is actually switching transformer taps before going to your amps power supply.

If your amp has a voltage source selector at the back (110V, 120V, 220V, 240V), you can select a higher voltage setting like 240V which will in turn lower the voltage at the secondary of your amp's power transformer since we only have 220V in our mains.   :)

Offline kane

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 01:20 PM »
ganun din ba kahit 1 set of speakers at a time lang gagamitin at a time, hindi pag sasabayin?

Offline 3j

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 04:12 PM »
Hi JojoD818,

I have the same question Sir, my 2 sets of Fronts are in 6 ohms is it risky to use the two sets A&B at same time even if the manual requires 8 ohms?  What should I do? My receiver is a US version 120volts.

in the manual it says:

SP IMP.Speaker Impedance level receiver set to 6ΩMIN 
           Front
           If you use one set (A or B),
           the impedance of each speaker must be 4 Ω or higher.

If you use two sets (A and B),
           the impedance of each speaker must be 8 Ω or higher.[/font]

Center
           The impedance of each speaker must be 6 Ω or higher.

Thank you in advance.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 04:42 PM »
Good afternoon mga gurus!  I just wanna ask if it's ok to use the speaker B terminals of my yamaha receiver provided that both pair of speakers are 6 ohms.  Sabi kasi sa manual, if both terminals are used, dapat 8 ohms or higher yung speakers if the impedance selector is set to the left.  If right naman, 16 ohms or higher dapat.  Just asking if meron na makagawa ng ganito setup.  Or is this only applicable if your using the speakers at the same time.  Thanks guys!

I have done this before (just to experiment), a pair of Warm speakers on terminal A and a pair of bright speakers on terminal B, both pairs are 6 ohms, the result... Great ;)

But i don't do this all the time, in fact... i never did it again since then, though di naman nasira ang amp ko, it's still better to follow the manufacturer's advice and what is written in the manual... Better safe than Sorry ;D

cheers,
reynold
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II