Author Topic: pioneer DVD player cant read region 1 and 3.  (Read 686 times)

Offline sagingsaba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
pioneer DVD player cant read region 1 and 3.
« on: Apr 22, 2007 at 02:06 PM »
for some strange reason, my pioneer (i think 383 or 353 ) suddenly can't read region 1 or region 3. it used to read any dvd. now it can only play bootleg dvds or those that i burn.

i sent it to pioneer service center and they're charging 1000 for unlocking.  has anyone been successful in unlocking this. it's a 3 year old model and I feel spending 1k is not worth it.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2007 at 02:08 PM by sagingsaba »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Re: pioneer DVD player cant read region 1 and 3.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 02:27 PM »
If it used to play all regions, then it is highly unlikely that it suddenly region-locked itself.

I suspect that it still plays all regions, but it can no longer play dual layer discs.  Failure to read dual layer discs while playing single layer discs correctly is a common condition for aging players.  The remedy is lens readjustment. 

Test it with a single layer original R1 or R3 disc.  I have a feeing that it will play properly.

Why not send it to the electronics repair shop around the corner.  That's what i would do if my unit is over 2 years old.  Most of them are really good, even better than the authorized service center technicians.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2007 at 02:29 PM by barrister »

Offline sagingsaba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 04:16 PM »
that's what i noticed. it can play some of my old region 1 dvds. so what will i tell the repair shop to do.  readjust the lens ?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 04:37 PM »
Don't quote me ... I'm no expert! ;D  But I wouldn't advise you to have it repaired at the Pioneer service center you mentioned because I doubt their competence, considering that they weren't even able to diagnose the problem correctly.

Just tell the shop around the corner that the player won't read dual layers, but reads single layers just fine. 

Bring along single layer discs, 1 orig and 1 fake; and dual layer discs, 1 orig and 1 fake (if you have one); and demo them all for the technician.  The demo will eliminate a region lock misdiagnosis.  He might ask you to leave a dual layer disc in the shop for testing purposes.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2007 at 04:41 PM by barrister »