Author Topic: Grainy visual  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Hal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Haloo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Grainy visual
« on: May 16, 2007 at 04:12 PM »
Hello.. not sure if this is the correct section for this but ...

This is my first time with LCD display. At the showroom.. what they play in the demo is really sharp. But when I play my discs at home, Spiderman for example, most parts are grainy. on dark areas it even pixelate. is this normal? or do they play HD and blu rays at the showroom? don't know much about HDs and Blu rays too..

How can i attain really excellent display on my LCD? Can it be had by playing merely regular dvds?

thanks!

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Re: Grainy visual
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007 at 04:54 PM »
Hello.. not sure if this is the correct section for this but ...

This is my first time with LCD display. At the showroom.. what they play in the demo is really sharp. But when I play my discs at home, Spiderman for example, most parts are grainy. on dark areas it even pixelate. is this normal? or do they play HD and blu rays at the showroom? don't know much about HDs and Blu rays too..

How can i attain really excellent display on my LCD? Can it be had by playing merely regular dvds?

thanks!

The answer to your first 2 questions is Yes, but most of the store demos are recorded hi-def contents which are not necessarily stored in a BD disc.

Possible Solutions/Comments:
1.  Buy a decent upconverting DVD player.
2.  Sit farther from the LCD.
3.  I personally don't feel that much need to calibrate an LCD compared to a Plasma or PJ, but it might help.  And if you have the tools, why not.  In any case, I DO tweak the picture settings manually quite a lot to suit my taste.
4.  Just be patient, as your eyes would eventually get used to the (rather poor) PQ.
5.  Some movies on DVDs simply look better than others.   Star Wars Episodes 5 & 6 are quite impressive even in SD.  Some are hopeless regardless of upconversion.  The Killing Fields is an example of that.
6.  With all the hypes concerning high contrast, sharpness and brightness, some DVDs can actually look better if you try to lower these settings.
7.  I think it should be safe to assume that original disks should look better than bootleg ones for most, if not all, cases, especially those copies which were compressed from their original dual-layer disk to fit a single sided one.
8.  Try a Plasma.  That should solve the pixelations but not the grains.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007 at 04:59 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007 at 05:58 PM »

Offline Hal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Haloo
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007 at 12:26 PM »
thanks you guys!!

i tried to put down sharpness and it did improve the grains i was talkinga bout.

oh.. another lesson learned.. i thought all dvds are created equal  ;D