Author Topic: Can i use dipole speaker for my surround back rear? can anyone help me? :)  (Read 1793 times)

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Good Day! i'm planning to use a Mordaunt Short THX Select Speaker but the system is only 5.1. and i would like to have a 7.1 sytem surround sound..i'm planning to use it on my Marantz 8001. my question is will it be possible to use a dipole speaker for my surround back rear left and right? so i would have the same speaker for my surround back l&r and surround rear l&r. would that be possible? hope someone could help me regarding this..thank you very much in advance :)

here are the sample pics from the THX setup..i'm still not sure if i should follow the THX or dolby digital. the picture of the mordaunt short dipole speaker is posted too..thanks!

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Yes, my THX dipoles have instructions for use at the rear back location & the usual side location.

The arrows at the back of the dipole speaker have to face each other (I think).

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Yes, my THX dipoles have instructions for use at the rear back location & the usual side location.

The arrows at the back of the dipole speaker have to face each other (I think).

what do you mean the arrows? magkatabi lang ba yung 2 dipole rear speakers mo? or yung dolby digital setup na magkahiwalay? thanks!

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
IMHO it would be a waste to put two speakers together like that. mas maganda siguro, if you're really bent on adding speakers gawin mo na lang 6.1. or better yet buy another sub! ;D

no offense to those w/ 7.1 systems but it doesn't make much sense to me to have more speakers behind you than in front of you especially when you have only one row of seating. kung two rows siguro pwede pa but then again that's jus me.

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
IMHO it would be a waste to put two speakers together like that. mas maganda siguro, if you're really bent on adding speakers gawin mo na lang 6.1. or better yet buy another sub! ;D

no offense to those w/ 7.1 systems but it doesn't make much sense to me to have more speakers behind you than in front of you especially when you have only one row of seating. kung two rows siguro pwede pa but then again that's jus me.

ahh ok..i'll be having two rows for the seating with a 10inch riser..i might be using the dipole speakers for the rear left and right and i'll be just adding a bookshelf bipole for the left and right..one of my friend told me..i'm just not sure if it would work..

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
ahh ok..i'll be having two rows for the seating with a 10inch riser..i might be using the dipole speakers for the rear left and right and i'll be just adding a bookshelf bipole for the left and right..one of my friend told me..i'm just not sure if it would work..

My setup is exactly like that: 2 dipoles at the sides & 2 front ported BS at the back (6th &7th channel). I believe that having front firing (for 6th & 7th) is better for this purpose. But I didnt bother getting THX speakers for this, its a waste IMWO (in my wallet's opinion) :D

See HT gallery

None taken :D. I have a 7.1 setup in a 12sqm room ;D. For me its great on DTS-ES scenes (though not many) & matrixed ES/EX (PLIIx) mode. . Although not necessary, having 4 surrounds is cool. Some ambient noise comes from the fronts, some from the back, some you dunno where (dipole at work).

But thats just me, its more of a want than a necessity. Even if my 5 speakers, sub, amp, receiver are THX certified, I didnt bother buying another expensive THX 6th & 7th channel, ergo I spent very little on the ES/EX channels anyway.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2007 at 03:55 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:

That would work.

My setup is exactly like that: 2 dipoles at the sides & 2 front ported BS at the back (6th &7th channel). I believe that having front firing (for 6th & 7th) is better for this purpose. But I didnt bother getting THX speakers for this, its a waste IMWO (in my wallet's opinion) :D

See HT gallery

None taken :D. I have a 7.1 setup in a 12sqm room ;D. For me its great on DTS-ES scenes (though not many) & matrixed ES/EX (PLIIx) mode. . Although not necessary, having 4 surrounds is cool. Some ambient noise comes from the fronts, some from the back, some you dunno where (dipole at work).

But thats just me, its more of a want than a necessity. Even if my 5 speakers, sub, amp, receiver are THX certified, I didnt bother buying another expensive THX 6th & 7th channel, ergo I spent very little on the ES/EX channels anyway.

Matt's right, you don't need to spend much on surround back channels. sayang kung magdipoles ka pa sa likod. just get small direct radiating BS for the back. movie soundtracks don't contain that much surround information kasi.

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:

See HT gallery

thanks! i might be using this speakers

kaya lang sabi ng friend ko bka hindi daw mganda ang labas co'z the sensitivity of the dipole speakers are 90db while this BS speaker is 89db...big difference ba? thanks in advance!

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
that should'nt be a problem. just get a sound pressure level meter to calibrate the speaker levels. or if your receiver has an auto calibrate feature wala ka ng problema
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2007 at 06:07 PM by ET414 »

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
kaya lang sabi ng friend ko bka hindi daw mganda ang labas co'z the sensitivity of the dipole speakers are 90db while this BS speaker is 89db...big difference ba? thanks in advance!

So, get BS speaker is 90db to match your other peakers... ::)  ::)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
So, get BS speaker is 90db to match your other peakers... ::)  ::)

yes that was my plan..kaso sabi sa akin sayang naman daw co'z i won't be able to maximize the performance ng thx speakers..is it true? kasi yung both rear left and right ay hindi thx speakers..

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
bah-loney

Maybe pag fronts ang usapan, but surrounds? nah. That sounds like a sales pitch to get you to spend more for THX back surrounds.

I never noticed any difference in surrounds from THX surrounds to my non-THX surrounds of another brand & I play my surround demo disks a lot.

Try to get front ported speakers if you are gonna put it against the wall. Even if its another brand, IMeO (in my Ear's opinion) it doesnt matter. But you might want the same brand for "terno" sake.

thanks! i might be using this speakers

Only way para totally seamless yung sound is to get all 7 speakers of the same kind, whether BS or FS. dont worry about such things.  SPL meter na bahala dyan.

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2007 at 09:56 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
bah-loney

Maybe pag fronts ang usapan, but surrounds? nah. That sounds like a sales pitch to get you to spend more for THX back surrounds.

I never noticed any difference in surrounds from THX surrounds to my non-THX surrounds of another brand & I play my surround demo disks a lot.

Try to get front ported speakers if you are gonna put it against the wall. Even if its another brand, IMeO (in my Ear's opinion) it doesnt matter. But you might want the same brand for "terno" sake.

Only way para totally seamless yung sound is to get all 7 speakers of the same kind, whether BS or FS. dont worry about such things.  SPL meter na bahala dyan.

ok thanks! i'll try to pair up na lang yung BS speakers na mordaunt short din with a 90db sensitivity..hope na mganda ang labas nito thanks! :)

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
ok thanks! i'll try to pair up na lang yung BS speakers na mordaunt short din with a 90db sensitivity..hope na mganda ang labas nito thanks! :)

Don't worry much about THX speakers match-up. To have a complete THX Home Theater System is everyones' dream... ::)  ::) To achieve this you much have THX pocket get all THX certified components and Room...  :D  ;D

I got THX Ultra separate preamp and THX amps but I don't have THX speakers and my room is very limited as you see in HT gallery, but it doesn't bother me much as long as I enjoy everytime I played Music or Movies.  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Having upgraded setups from time to time for during last 2 years I was in this hobby (& now w/ a THX setup), IMhO, I can say that going all THX doesnt really give a setup have a "night & day" difference from other same level gears. At least in my experience w/ my previous & current gears of the same caliber.

THX is more of a prestige or like a ISO thing. One thing I notice, it can go really loud. But SQ wise, not far (+-) from my older setups.

just my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2007 at 03:45 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
ok thanks matzer and audiojunkie hehe..

by the way, may nakita akong site regarding four dipoles sa setup..you can check it out..

http://www.bobgolds.com/DipoleSurrounds/home.htm

i think this is the one you are talking about matzer right? yung swiswitch mo yung left and right speakers sa rear..

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
ok thanks matzer and audiojunkie hehe..

by the way, may nakita akong site regarding four dipoles sa setup..you can check it out..

http://www.bobgolds.com/DipoleSurrounds/home.htm

i think this is the one you are talking about matzer right? yung swiswitch mo yung left and right speakers sa rear..

Yes... there are lots of them you find online and it's still up to your preference which configuration you will buy.. ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Yes... there are lots of them you find online and it's still up to your preference which configuration you will buy.. ;D

so pwede nga yung 4 dipole speakers for my marantz 8001 thx select 2 right? i'll just adjust the confirgurations sa receiver? or would you recommend the other picture i showed..the BS one..sorry to ask too many questions.. thanks!

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
Yes, why not. Just do not place them more than 4ft. apart. In my pre amp, you can choose the type of speakers for the sides as well as for the rear. Almost all DVD's, Blu-ray and HD dvd are in 5.1 anyway. A handful in 6.1 discrete and only 1 blu-ray mastered in 7.1. Most of the time the side speaker audio is just matrix-ed for use with your rear speakers or in other words, rear audio is derivative of the side speakers
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL