Author Topic: Help on Audio Setup  (Read 5956 times)

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: Help on Audio Setup
« Reply #30 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 12:16 PM »
sabi nung nakausap ko sa spectra, mas warm daw ang NAD kesa HK kaso lang if you want (daw) some extra punch, HK ang lamang. of course, audition pa rin.

some more ideas please.... gurus...

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 01:16 PM »
If you want to save big bucks and you're adventurous enough. You can also take the vintage route (read: surplus  ;D).  If you're lucky, you might chance upon a real gem.  Try to visit the surplus amp thread.  ;)
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 01:22 PM »
If you want to save big bucks and you're adventurous enough. You can also take the vintage route (read: surplus  ;D).  If you're lucky, you might chance upon a real gem.  Try to visit the surplus amp thread.  ;)

I agree  ;D. Some of these amps are way better than the newer ones being sold

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 02:10 PM »
korekek.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #34 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 04:02 PM »
Another route of journey in stereo set-up. .  ::)  ::) Vintage or Tubes  8)  8)
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2007 at 05:10 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline chocovim

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 05:04 PM »

sir jairus,

baka pwede sama ako next time na punta kayo sa surplus shops? :)

chocovim

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 05:59 PM »
Another route of journey in stereo set-up. .  ::)  ::) Vintage or Tubes  8)  8)

since, di naman ako nagmamadali, pasok lahat ng ideas nyo. actually, Tubes talaga target ko kaso di kayang sabayan ng bulsa ko ang pangarap ko, but malay natin, biglang may magbenta... hehe.

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 09:32 AM »
sir jairus,

baka pwede sama ako next time na punta kayo sa surplus shops? :)

chocovim

Chocovim,

Sure bro, sched natin yan.  tHowever, the last time I've been to pier several months ago, there were no new arrivals.  I just don't know now.

Praktikal,

Just take your time. With a little patience, some real good deals come up in the buy & sell section from time to time. 

Also, don't believe all the hype about which brand is better sounding.  You are the only one who can decide which is better for you.  So it all boils down again to three things: audition, audition, audition  ;D

Enjoy the hunt and don't forget to  ;)enjoy the music, this is what this hobby is all about.
B&W603 S3

Offline chocovim

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 09:42 AM »
sige sir,

hirap kasi pumunta dun na walang kasamang may alam sa vintage gears eh. :)

ty

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 09:54 AM »
salamat Jairus.

tatandaan ko yang "AAA" (at dapat rechargeable).  ;D ;D ;D

i don't need some "kaboom", basta suave lang. so perhaps malaking tulong sa akin ang mga suggestions kung anong brand/model ang pwede kong abangan sa B&S section at sa surplusan. at least i have an eye na on integrated. separates would be too much na seguro. a "one man army", int amp would be enough. but then again, baka may makita akong super bargain na seps, why not. later na ang hunt for speaker since i still have with me an award winner 302.  ;D  Sa ngayon, focus muna ako sa itch ko from insect bites at later na lang ang itch for speakers...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline yygoob

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #40 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 03:48 PM »
sir jairus baka naman pwede rin akong sumama!! ;D noon ko pa gustong pumunta nga lang ala akong alam sa mga gears!! baka lukuhin lang ako dun!! >:(

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 06:18 PM »
guys, just came out, wat u think?

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.audio-heritage.jp%2fSONY-ESPRIT%2famp%2fta-f333esx.html

That's a good sounding amp.  Try to read through the pages of the surplus amp thread.  There's a link there of the Niji List.  This is a listing of the top of the line (TOTL) models in Japan in the 70s and 80s.  This is a good reference before you go bargain hunting at Pier.
B&W603 S3

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 19, 2007 at 03:52 PM »
up ko lang...

leaning towards Tubes na po tayo mga peeps. used or bnew oks sa akin, need help please. no rush naman but pointers for my hunt is highly appreciated. hope to hear more inputs from T-peeps here.

;)

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949
« Reply #44 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 12:35 PM »
The 302's is a very good speaker system to build your system around with. Had them for 5 years before I traded them in. I used the ff amps to power them:

Pioneer integrated
Adcom power amp
Classe power amp
TS Audio SET Tube integrated.

among all the amps that I used the best synergy was with the TS Audio Tube integrated wired with VDH and fronted by a tube digital front end. The mids and highs were very good not to mention the pinpoint localization, precise imaging and very good coherence for such a small speaker. The amp pumped out 9 watts only but I was able to get the desired spl in my medium sized room due to the high sensitivity spec of the 302's. The combination in my opinion beats out speakers that cost 2 or 3 times the price of the 302's but the only downside was that the bass response rolled off rapidly below 80hz so if you are into rock music played at chest pounding levels then you would need to add reinforcement in the bass area through a sub or just upgrade to larger speakers.  Adding a sub is easier said than done because if you get this wrong you will end up with a bass note that seems to come from another planet altogether. Stay away from big bass reflex type of subs like the DTX4.15. It wont match the speed and pace of the 302's. Leave those for the HT crowd. Try to look for subs that employ a sealed box design and with a long throw driver that is 8 to 10 inches in diameter. a continously variable phase control (not switch) is a good tool for integration with the 302's. I got very good results from a Tannoy Mercury Sub10 matched with the 302's.

Build your system step by step. you may not be able to complete it at one go due to your limited budget but if you manage to complete your setup with the gears that are in complete synergy with the rest of the system then the end result will be worth it and might be more cost effective in the long run.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2007 at 12:38 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 01:24 PM »
The 302's is a very good speaker system to build your system around with. Had them for 5 years before I traded them in. I used the ff amps to power them:

Pioneer integrated
Adcom power amp
Classe power amp
TS Audio SET Tube integrated.

among all the amps that I used the best synergy was with the TS Audio Tube integrated wired with VDH and fronted by a tube digital front end. The mids and highs were very good not to mention the pinpoint localization, precise imaging and very good coherence for such a small speaker. The amp pumped out 9 watts only but I was able to get the desired spl in my medium sized room due to the high sensitivity spec of the 302's. The combination in my opinion beats out speakers that cost 2 or 3 times the price of the 302's but the only downside was that the bass response rolled off rapidly below 80hz so if you are into rock music played at chest pounding levels then you would need to add reinforcement in the bass area through a sub or just upgrade to larger speakers.  Adding a sub is easier said than done because if you get this wrong you will end up with a bass note that seems to come from another planet altogether. Stay away from big bass reflex type of subs like the DTX4.15. It wont match the speed and pace of the 302's. Leave those for the HT crowd. Try to look for subs that employ a sealed box design and with a long throw driver that is 8 to 10 inches in diameter. a continously variable phase control (not switch) is a good tool for integration with the 302's. I got very good results from a Tannoy Mercury Sub10 matched with the 302's.

Build your system step by step. you may not be able to complete it at one go due to your limited budget but if you manage to complete your setup with the gears that are in complete synergy with the rest of the system then the end result will be worth it and might be more cost effective in the long run.

thanks.

i'll focus on the int amp first and see (hear) the difference. am having second thought on Tubes since i have a 5 year old "super kulit" son. might consider SS na lang, tama ba? still, Tubes+FS is my ultimate goal. 302's clarity to reproduce sound is there already but kahit na anong amp ang gagamitin ko bitin pa rin sa lalim. ipon ipon muna ako for a set of floorstanders instead of acquiring a new sub for the 302 (that is after my int amp of course).

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 01:40 PM »
dont get me wrong...the 302's sound very good with S/S amps as well. its just that I liked it even better with tubes albeit with lower wattage.  If you want to unload your 302's in the near future let me be the first in line. In retrospect I kinda miss the sound of those minimonitors. good luck on your quest  :)
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 02:00 PM »
dont get me wrong...the 302's sound very good with S/S amps as well. its just that I liked it even better with tubes albeit with lower wattage.  If you want to unload your 302's in the near future let me be the first in line. In retrospect I kinda miss the sound of those minimonitors. good luck on your quest  :)

hehehe... unload? hmmm... thanks again.

Offline macmac09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 03:49 PM »
i think you should audition first tube amps. malay mo magustuhan mo. there are shops that sell custom made tube amps that won't break the bank. i got mine from amx but there are others . if you want to audition one just pm me, i too live at laguna.

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 03:53 PM »
i think you should audition first tube amps. malay mo magustuhan mo. there are shops that sell custom made tube amps that won't break the bank. i got mine from amx but there are others . if you want to audition one just pm me, i too live at laguna.

how long have you been using your tubes? sulit ba?

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 04:12 PM »
for me sulit kasi i like the sound better than my previous solidstate amp.  mga almost a year na din sa akin amp ko, although i am only using a tube preamp nowadays.

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 04:16 PM »
just to add on lang, before buying brand new solid state integrated amps do audition some tube amps first to avoid sars.

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #52 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 07:30 PM »
thanks.

i'll focus on the int amp first and see (hear) the difference. am having second thought on Tubes since i have a 5 year old "super kulit" son. might consider SS na lang, tama ba? still, Tubes+FS is my ultimate goal. 302's clarity to reproduce sound is there already but kahit na anong amp ang gagamitin ko bitin pa rin sa lalim. ipon ipon muna ako for a set of floorstanders instead of acquiring a new sub for the 302 (that is after my int amp of course).

I have two  hyperactive daughters, ages 6 and 3, and both of them are quite familiar with tube amps (I have been using both SET and vintage tube amps even before they both were born  ;) ), as they also use my audio system to listen to their music (my eldest daughter even knows how to operate my main system)  As long as you teach them properly, owning a tube amplifier should not be a problem.

Bitin sa lalim?  don't blame the amp, it's the speakers that you should focus on - especially if you use bookshelves.  But there are also floorstanders that don't go deep... they may have the mid-bass hump and punch, but don't have the depth and roundness of the tone.

Hope this helps and good luck on your quest

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #53 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 09:06 PM »

Hec i was the one who bought your CC3.   :)     

I still have my 302 and has no plans of selling it. Baka yun CC3 gusto mo i buy back mo na lang nag 2 channel na lang ako.  :) ;D

praktikal

Try mo muna yun speaker position baka dun yun problem wala gastos dyan. Sa tube amp try mo yun may el84 output tube nasa 12-15 watter sufficient na yang ganyan power to drive the 302's. Vintage tube amp din gamit ko.

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 11:00 AM »
Hec i was the one who bought your CC3.   :)     

I still have my 302 and has no plans of selling it. Baka yun CC3 gusto mo i buy back mo na lang nag 2 channel na lang ako.  :) ;D

Bro I remember the talk we had before regarding the 302. Its one of those speakers that looks bland and plain but when you hear it sing you will have to spend so much more to replicate its qualities in other speakers brands. Thanks for the offer bro but im more into 2 channel these days. parang naging phase lang yung HT appeal for me :)
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 11:06 AM »
<rony> -Try mo muna yun speaker position baka dun yun problem wala gastos dyan.

nasubukan ko na pero wala talagang mapipiga sa 5incher driver eh. right now naka 6ft ang pagitan ng 2 speakers equal sa sweetspot. (tama ba 'tong mga pinagsasabi ko  ;D ;D ;D)

<Jagner> -Bitin sa lalim?  don't blame the amp, it's the speakers that you should focus on - especially if you use bookshelves.  But there are also floorstanders that don't go deep... they may have the mid-bass hump and punch, but don't have the depth and roundness of the tone.

korek. speakers seem to be the culprit and yes you're right again na with a tight budget i don't think makaka avail ako ng FS na may deep/substantial bass, but i'm pretty sure na it'll satisfy my ears.

audition audition audition...

to avoid sars, i-tame ko na lang muna yung mga tenga ko  ;D ;D ;D
... praktikal nga e, hehehe

teka, pag di ba tinamaan ng sars e ibig sabihin di sya trueblue pdvd member?  ::)

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #56 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 11:16 AM »
Try mong ilapit sa pader.

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 01:02 PM »
thanks to all your inputs. i think mas gaganda ang tunog ng 302 ko once ilipat ko na sa bedroom. i'll hunt na lang for a pair of (BS or FS) speakers with bigger woofers to match my 6m x 4m listening room. no rush though... also, inaayos ko na rin ang acoustics. tatapalan ko lahat ng windows and doors to eliminate unwanted noise from outside. i'll post some pics once finished. papalitan ko na rin ng heavier curtains at maglagay ng mas malapad na carpet. wala naman ng echo but i think kelangan pa.
 :)
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2007 at 01:03 PM by praktikal »

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jun 23, 2007 at 11:40 AM »
edwin, assuming na gagamitin ko ang b&w ko, anong amp ang masuggest mo na less than 20k? tnx

High end amplifiers (including speakers, cd players, etc) normally pagtumunog, labas lahat ang clarity or which is ever in the recording without sounding either irritating or bland, ika nga may refinement. Ang mga low end to some mid-end amps either labas ang kalansing pero matalas or irritating over time o kaya naman play safe at roll-off ang sound para itago ang gaspang ng tunog.

A good amp or a system as a whole should be able to play on low volume and you could still hear all the musical information and be emotionally involved and the more you increase the volume, the more you like what you hear.

This is very hard to accomplish if you have a beginner's system. Audio is a learning process and as you keep on listening to different set-ups, the more your standard will get going higher.

Low end equipment was designed in the first place on a very limited budget that although the design could be good, they normally used cheap components to cut cost.

So my advice, with your budget of Php20K, a used Rotel, NAD, Cambridge Audio, etc could be good enough but please, get somebody to tweak or upgrade the parts. You will be amazed that even these amps could sound very good once upgraded and could fight with a lot more expensive equipments. This is the beginning where you will hear things that you previously wasn't able to hear in the recording.

edwin
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere