Author Topic: Speaker Quality Measurement  (Read 1624 times)

Offline dm1179

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Speaker Quality Measurement
« on: Jun 14, 2007 at 11:59 AM »
to the guru's, help nman po. paano po ba ma-measure ang total rms power? example sa spec ng speaker, nakalagay ay "15W RMS into 4ohms at 100Hz at 10% THD".. paano ma-measure ung 15W RMS? another is "System THD: Better than 0.05% THD before clipping". paano i-measure ung THD (total harmonic distortion). last e "Signal to Noise Ratio: >80dB". paano i-measure ang SNR?
thanks.
...guaranteed to rock your world!

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Speaker Quality Measurement
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 12:13 PM »
The specs that you mentioned is for an amplifier and not for a speaker.

to the guru's, help nman po. paano po ba ma-measure ang total rms power? example sa spec ng speaker, nakalagay ay "15W RMS into 4ohms at 100Hz at 10% THD".. paano ma-measure ung 15W RMS? another is "System THD: Better than 0.05% THD before clipping". paano i-measure ung THD (total harmonic distortion). last e "Signal to Noise Ratio: >80dB". paano i-measure ang SNR?
thanks.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 01:36 PM »
thanks.

Those are specs given by manufacturer of the unit.  ;D  ;D
Data results after testing using their own system that may vary according to the method and measuring equipments used.  ;D  ;D IMHO.
You can do the same if you have right equipments . .  ::)  ::)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 03:01 PM »
thanks.

you need a signal generator and an ocsilloscpe to measure them.

Offline dm1179

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2007 at 04:09 PM »
thanks. we have an audio generator and oscilloscope. can you give the procedure on how to do a sample test?

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2007 at 04:27 PM »
To measure the power output (amplification) of your amp, use the signal generator as your source.  and the ocsilloscope the measure the amplitude of the signal. Connect the first set of probe into the input of your amp and the second set to the output of the amp.   Just divide the Vpp of the output signal to the Vpp input and your have your gain.

To measure speaker response, follow the link.

http://www.epanorama.net/links/audiospeakers.html#measure

Hope this helps.

Offline dm1179

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2007 at 04:33 PM »
@ jagner: thanks for the info.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2007 at 06:33 PM »
you do not measure speakers bro...all you need to do is listen to them. knowing their specs would only add more confusion :) hehehe
im allan - 09178087173

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 12:09 PM »
you do not measure speakers bro...all you need to do is listen to them. knowing their specs would only add more confusion :) hehehe

I don't quite agree with your statement. Let's take sensitivity. A Spendor speaker has a sensitivity of 82 dB at 1 watt/1 meter. You have a single ended tube amp at just 7 watts which is around 8 dbf, therefore your maximum output will only be 89 dB. Not knowing specs (true specs) will make component matching a nightmare.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 12:54 PM »
I don't quite agree with your statement. Let's take sensitivity. A Spendor speaker has a sensitivity of 82 dB at 1 watt/1 meter. You have a single ended tube amp at just 7 watts which is around 8 dbf, therefore your maximum output will only be 89 dB. Not knowing specs (true specs) will make component matching a nightmare.

Yes, specs come first then physical inspections follows ears satisfactions and your final decisions....  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 06:54 PM »
specs is actually the last thing id like to know. what i normally do is bring home the prospect and listen to it within my listening room through my own set of gears. if i dont like it then its done. if i like it then ill arrive at the interest of knowing the specs.....but this is just me....sound is far more important to me than specs. :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 07:01 PM »
specs is actually the last thing id like to know. what i normally do is bring home the prospect and listen to it within my listening room through my own set of gears. if i dont like it then its done. if i like it then ill arrive at the interest of knowing the specs.....but this is just me....sound is far more important to me than specs. :)
its a shame but the truth is ive been using the concertino and haydn for about 2 months now yet still i dont even have a clue about the specs of either of these little gems...i dont even know power handling, sensitivity, ohmic rating and recommended amp specs. :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 06:01 AM »
You can get away with this on occasions, most newbies rely on this approach including me when i started in this hobby. But eventually once you get deeper into the hobby, specs play a big role, just imagine buying a subwoofer and not knowing how low it goes  or an amp and not knowing how much power it has.

its a shame but the truth is ive been using the concertino and haydn for about 2 months now yet still i dont even have a clue about the specs of either of these little gems...i dont even know power handling, sensitivity, ohmic rating and recommended amp specs. :)

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 06:12 AM »
whether a newbie or a guru.....they must and should only have one thing in common....they must and they should let their ears decide. this is the point i was trying to emphasize... its fine to know the specs of course but its not supposed to be a turning point.

just trying to shed light sir...peace :)

still i dont know the specs of my haydns and Tinos :(
im allan - 09178087173

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 09:49 AM »
... its fine to know the specs of course but its not supposed to be a turning point.

They can be sometimes.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2007 at 09:51 AM by bumblebee »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 11:40 AM »
You can get away with this on occasions, most newbies rely on this approach including me when i started in this hobby. But eventually once you get deeper into the hobby, specs play a big role, just imagine buying a subwoofer and not knowing how low it goes  or an amp and not knowing how much power it has.

Right on bro ;) unless you want to create a survey/poll na lang whenever you want to buy a gear so specs would not really matter anymore kasi popularity/prestige of owning the gear will take over na ;D ;D ;D listen and decide for yourself dapat, kaya audition audition audition ;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 12:39 PM »

This is the situation where you are already enjoyin and almost in heaven over the quality of the sound you are hearing from your audio equipment only to learn that your amp has a THD rating of 1% something, something..far from the .0002% standard of many audiophiles of pinoydvd.  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 02:01 PM »
Specs is one factor that tells us if the manufaturer is really telling the truth about their product.... and sometimes we use the specs as a benchmark of our comments...  :D

Specs can be applied also to any product we buy... in general .. ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2007 at 07:07 AM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #18 on: Jun 22, 2007 at 09:04 AM »
yes i agree it is our first step to evaluate the equipment specially speakers based on available specs. for me i just ask the very basic like the minimum or maximum power handling, impedance and sensitivity. The rest is left to whether my ears like it or not.  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II