Author Topic: Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!  (Read 181200 times)

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Panasonic 42pv70H Rocks!!!
« Reply #510 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 11:48 PM »
Count me in as one very satisfied buyer of the 42PV70 also!  Group buys rule!

;D

Offline Yahoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #511 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 08:14 PM »
Include me as one of the new buyers of a 42pv70! 

Bought it at S&S as recommended by BIEN_CRESCINI

;D

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
malayo ba ang presyo ng PY70 as compared to PV70?

anong advantage ng PY70 on top of full hd? nawala na ba ang purple snakes?

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:29 AM »
To anyone concerned regarding the difference between the Panasonic 42PV70 and 42PV7 plasma TVs, here are my observations:

I just came from Sights & Sounds yesterday, and did a side-by-side comparison between the two models and observed their picture quality and physical appearance/built.

- In terms of features, the only difference between the two models is that the Panasonic 42PV70 has two (2) HDMI inputs versus the 42PV7's one (1) HDMI input. The other difference is that the 42PV70 has a black piano finish (only at the lower speaker portion), while the 42PV7 has a flat black finish.

- But in terms of picture quality, there was NO difference at all. Other websites claim that the 42PV7 has only 8,000:1 contrast ratio versus the 42PV70's 10,000:1, but I think it's not true. They're practically the same (brightness, color, saturation, detail). All settings in both displays we're identical and both were already properly burned-in and calibrated.
The following sources were used: Spiderman 3  (R3), Monsters Inc. (R3), Transformers (blu-ray), and their demo CD, all using 720p/1080i resolution. I wasn't able to test my R1 DVDs though (LOTR3 & Star Wars3).

But I still recommend that you see it for yourself and test both displays side-by-side for your eyes to be the judge. :) I'm sure either of them will do the job well.

Thank you sir Vic for the exhaustive demonstration as well as the good conversation. 8)
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline ledrahc

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Rock and Roll!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 11:45 AM »
AYOKO KO NA SA PINOYDVD!!!!!
Ang lakas nyong mang-hawa ng SARS!!!! Pati wife ko na-dale nyo... nyahaha ;D ;D ;D

another proud owner of panasonic 42pv70  :D :D
 bought my unit last saturday (delivered yesterday). Got a special discount from S&S courtesy of Sir Vic and Paul.. bait talaga.
suggestion ko sa mga nag-babalak, punta na lang kayo sa store and talk to them personally. And for sure, makakakuha kayo ng discount na hinahanap nyo...

first impression  :o :o ;D  W :oW... panalo sobra!!! considering na naka break-in settings pa lang ako..
will post pix soon sa ht gallery, kasama yung Rack and Pio 600 dvd player na kasabay ko din binili.. muntik na ako mapalo dito ni kumander eh... nyahaha

To Sir Vic and Paul ng S & S, thanks a lot and more power sa store nyo!!!

Offline papelandia

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 12:02 PM »
May I ask how much mo nabili tong panny?

Offline wolf666

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 12:08 PM »
planning to give my mom and dad the Panasonic 50PV70 this christmas.
pa PM naman magkano cash and 12mths installment (0 interest if possible). salamat.

Offline Maestro

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 05:50 PM »
To anyone concerned regarding the difference between the Panasonic 42PV70 and 42PV7 plasma TVs, here are my observations:

I just came from Sights & Sounds yesterday, and did a side-by-side comparison between the two models and observed their picture quality and physical appearance/built.

- In terms of features, the only difference between the two models is that the Panasonic 42PV70 has two (2) HDMI inputs versus the 42PV7's one (1) HDMI input. The other difference is that the 42PV70 has a black piano finish (only at the lower speaker portion), while the 42PV7 has a flat black finish.

- But in terms of picture quality, there was NO difference at all. Other websites claim that the 42PV7 has only 8,000:1 contrast ratio versus the 42PV70's 10,000:1, but I think it's not true. They're practically the same (brightness, color, saturation, detail). All settings in both displays we're identical and both were already properly burned-in and calibrated.
The following sources were used: Spiderman 3  (R3), Monsters Inc. (R3), Transformers (blu-ray), and their demo CD, all using 720p/1080i resolution. I wasn't able to test my R1 DVDs though (LOTR3 & Star Wars3).

But I still recommend that you see it for yourself and test both displays side-by-side for your eyes to be the judge. :) I'm sure either of them will do the job well.

Thank you sir Vic for the exhaustive demonstration as well as the good conversation. 8)

same observation ko...although I am no expert...para sakin pareho lang, so I got the PV7 (yun extra cash, pang-bili na lang ng Pio 600).... Thanks Vic for the good deal.

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
SkyCable Digibox on Panasonic 42pv70H
« Reply #518 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
The Panasonic 42pv70H is perfect for cable TV viewing!!!  I just switched to Sky Digibox last saturday to complement my newly-purchased 42pv70H Pana Plasma.  I had a chance to compare the Skycable's signal in my new plasma before and after the digibox.  Well, I can say is that the difference is not really night and day.  The most noticeable difference is that the digibox signal is smoother than the non-digibox signal, there is virtually no grains at all.  Although the video image is smoother, it is not really nice because the image is now soft as compared to non-digibox, the softness maybe due to "total lack of graininess".  Also, the digibox signal is getting pixellated on certain fast-action scenes (but this happens only occasionally).

My overall comment is the digibox signal is better than the non-digibox signal.  Main advantage is better sound with option to connect to your system via optical output found at the back of the digibox, and overall smoother image (albeit softer but can be offset by cranking-up the 42pv70 display's sharpness setting).
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 05:57 AM »
do you have to 'burn in' the 42pv70 even after the color calibration?

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 06:58 AM »
Actually, the burn-in comes first. After the 100-hours recommendation for burn-in, then you can color calibrate it. 8)

Offline jackrabbit

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • DVD is Life
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 11:56 PM »
RXV, can you please re-educate me or the others, on the need burn-in our plasmas... i cant wait to tweak and play widescreen dvds already...can i ask for a reminder? Thanks a lot.

Offline tetablanco

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 12:41 AM »
RXV, can you please re-educate me or the others, on the need burn-in our plasmas... i cant wait to tweak and play widescreen dvds already...can i ask for a reminder? Thanks a lot.

(With my apologies to RXV)

The 10th Gen plasma display of the 42PV70 is supposed to have solved the perennial problem of IR (image retention) and burn-in (where images are literally burned into the phosphors/pixels of a display) inherent in all CRT and plasma displays - PROVIDED the minimum 100-hours break-in period is observed.  Within the break-in period, you have to avoid watching static video images (ex. cable TV station logo identifiers such as AXN, HBO, etc and status bars common in video games) and letter-box format widescreen movies with the black bars on the top and bottom of the screens.  This is supposed to ensure that all display pixels are used at the same rate since uneven pixel use may yield ghost images on the screen.  You know you have a burn-in problem when you see ghost images even when the display is turned off.  Also, MAKE SURE THAT THE PICTURE SETTING FOR ALL VIDEO INPUTS (AV, cable, HDMI, component, S-video, etc.) IS LOWERED FROM THE FACTORY SETTING OF 100 TO 50 OR BELOW EVEN AFTER THE BREAK-IN PERIOD!  This will extend the lifetime of your display.

To avoid IR/burn-in when watching cable TV stations, I suggest that you use the ZOOM 3 feature of your TV.  When watching letterbox-format widescreen movies, select the ZOOM feature that should fill up the entire screen with the best image.  The different aspect ratios used for widescreen movies (1.85:1, 2.35:1, etc) would require different ZOOM treatment for best viewing results.

;D

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007 at 12:43 AM by tetablanco »

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 12:52 AM »
Hi jackrabbit,

As far as I know, the 100-hours burn-in is a roughly a guide wherein the first 100 hours of a plasma TV's phosphors most are susceptible to image retention also known as "ghosting".

Avoid watching channels with static images (ex. channel logo located at the top left or top right of the screen) in order to avoid image retention. Others solve this problem by zooming in the display so that the channel logo won't be seen.

Also, adjust your TV's setting at 50% or below, especially the contrast and brightness settings.

Actually, you can watch DVDs as long as there are no static images, and not in letterbox format (black bars on the top & bottom of the screen) so that no image retention (IR) will occur. For example, I tried Monster's Inc. R3 on a Panasonic 42PV70 and it fills the entire screen. I've read somewhere in this thread that someone watched a DVD in letterbox format during the pre-100 hours recommended burn-in, and IR occurred. Fortunately, the IR disappeared after a while.

In my opinion, image retention still exists even with today's current plasmas. But of course today's technology is way better than the first generations in preventing serious image retention. Most people do the recommended burn-in of 100 hours just for peace of mind. Just to make sure that your plasma display won't end up messed up.

I suggest that you look up at the previous pages of this thread to see more opinions and suggestions regarding burn-in and plasma settings.

Good luck! :)

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 12:54 AM »
(With my apologies to RXV)

The 10th Gen plasma display of the 42PV70 is supposed to have solved the perennial problem of IR (image retention) and burn-in (where images are literally burned into the phosphors/pixels of a display) inherent in all CRT and plasma displays - PROVIDED the minimum 100-hours break-in period is observed.  Within the break-in period, you have to avoid watching static video images (ex. cable TV station logo identifiers such as AXN, HBO, etc and status bars common in video games) and letter-box format widescreen movies with the black bars on the top and bottom of the screens.  This is supposed to ensure that all display pixels are used at the same rate since uneven pixel use may yield ghost images on the screen.  You know you have a burn-in problem when you see ghost images even when the display is turned off.  Also, MAKE SURE THAT THE PICTURE SETTING FOR ALL VIDEO INPUTS (AV, cable, HDMI, component, S-video, etc.) IS LOWERED FROM THE FACTORY SETTING OF 100 TO 50 OR BELOW EVEN AFTER THE BREAK-IN PERIOD!  This will extend the lifetime of your display.

To avoid IR/burn-in when watching cable TV stations, I suggest that you use the ZOOM 3 feature of your TV.  When watching letterbox-format widescreen movies, select the ZOOM feature that should fill up the entire screen with the best image.  The different aspect ratios used for widescreen movies (1.85:1, 2.35:1, etc) would require different ZOOM treatment for best viewing results.

;D

Sir, naunahan mo ako sa pagpost. :)
No apologies needed  ;D

Offline chris69ners

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "If u shake it more than twice, ur playin with it"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #525 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 04:25 AM »
Hi jackrabbit,

As far as I know, the 100-hours burn-in is a roughly a guide wherein the first 100 hours of a plasma TV's phosphors most are susceptible to image retention also known as "ghosting".

Avoid watching channels with static images (ex. channel logo located at the top left or top right of the screen) in order to avoid image retention. Others solve this problem by zooming in the display so that the channel logo won't be seen.

Also, adjust your TV's setting at 50% or below, especially the contrast and brightness settings.

Actually, you can watch DVDs as long as there are no static images, and not in letterbox format (black bars on the top & bottom of the screen) so that no image retention (IR) will occur. For example, I tried Monster's Inc. R3 on a Panasonic 42PV70 and it fills the entire screen. I've read somewhere in this thread that someone watched a DVD in letterbox format during the pre-100 hours recommended burn-in, and IR occurred. Fortunately, the IR disappeared after a while.

In my opinion, image retention still exists even with today's current plasmas. But of course today's technology is way better than the first generations in preventing serious image retention. Most people do the recommended burn-in of 100 hours just for peace of mind. Just to make sure that your plasma display won't end up messed up.

I suggest that you look up at the previous pages of this thread to see more opinions and suggestions regarding burn-in and plasma settings.

Good luck! :)

It's supposed to be break-in period and not burn-in, di ba mga sirs?  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007 at 04:26 AM by chris69ners »
7.2 / Wharfe9 / HK245 / Sony 65X7500D / Philips5986 / Sony RackSys / DQ12x2 / Xtreamer Elvira

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 05:48 AM »
so the first 100 hrs of break-in period doesn't have to be continuous.

Offline looks

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 07:57 AM »
quote author=chris69ners link=topic=68273.msg756307#msg756307 date=1196281550]

[/quote]  ;D ;D ;D

yah.. kahit 2-3 months ung 100 hrs.. hahaha. 

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 07:36 PM »

Whoops! Break-in is the right term pala, burn-in is the image retention itself. :)
Nahihhilo na yata ako  :)

Archie, yes, you don't need to break-in for 100 hours straight. :o
Basta 100 hours total

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: Nov 30, 2007 at 01:29 AM »
Whoops! Break-in is the right term pala, burn-in is the image retention itself. :)
Nahihhilo na yata ako  :)

Archie, yes, you don't need to break-in for 100 hours straight. :o
Basta 100 hours total

Paano nyo count ang usage? By manual or may timer ang unit mismo?
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: Nov 30, 2007 at 05:48 AM »
what's the advantage of having a full hd like 42py70 as against 42pv70?

malayo ba ang presyo nila?

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Nov 30, 2007 at 01:49 PM »
what's the advantage of having a full hd like 42py70 as against 42pv70?

malayo ba ang presyo nila?

Para sa akin yung advantage is yung panel mismo. (This is for 42PY700 and not 42PY70)
http://www.panasonic.com.ph/viera/newpdp/2007pdp/th-42PV70specs.htm
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037586,42089377p,00.htm
Search mo sa net ang ibang detail para mas klaro.
Price, lalung malayo, halos double ng PV.
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline van_wilder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 09:34 AM »
sirs,  i was really planning to get the pv70, but because of extreme price diff, might just get the pv7hs,  is it really worth the savings?
panasonic 42plasma
marantz avr wharfedale speakers 6.1
ps2; wii

Offline rafmac

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 06:52 PM »
sirs,  i was really planning to get the pv70, but because of extreme price diff, might just get the pv7hs,  is it really worth the savings?

my suggestion is to place both units side by side and see for yourself kung worth it ba yung price difference. i was at an HT store yesterday and they had both the pv70  and pv7hs and for me mas maganda yun g picturee quality ng pv70. but its really up to you

Offline edu1216

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 08:59 PM »
Hi everyone! I am new here and this is my first post also. Does anybody know the difference between 42pv70H and 42pv70MT?
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007 at 09:12 AM by edu1216 »

Offline tetablanco

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 09:09 PM »

No need to compromise on your final choice.  Sent you PM...

Offline jackrabbit

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • DVD is Life
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 09:49 PM »
To tetablanco and RXV, my extreme gratitude, your knowledge is like internet sites  :) . This really explains a lot on the needed break-in period. I have my new PV7, and has been cautious on my usage. But one thing though, does this mean i wont be able to watch widescreen format dvds regularly beacause of the danger of burn in? Or okay na after the 100 hour break in?

Offline van_wilder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 10:57 PM »
tetablanco,
got your pm just now and unfortunately or fortunately, i paid for mine at theater works this afternoon already together with 2  32LE7's and and i am happy with my decision. thank you for the input though and i am pretty sue i will still be consulting you guys during the 'break in' period.

i have seen them together side by side and i am pleased and convinced with my choice. again thank you.

van_wilder
panasonic 42plasma
marantz avr wharfedale speakers 6.1
ps2; wii

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 08:09 AM »
To tetablanco and RXV, my extreme gratitude, your knowledge is like internet sites  :) . This really explains a lot on the needed break-in period. I have my new PV7, and has been cautious on my usage. But one thing though, does this mean i wont be able to watch widescreen format dvds regularly beacause of the danger of burn in? Or okay na after the 100 hour break in?

Actually, you could watch DVDs even before the break-in period, as long as there are no static images on-screen for a long time (such as channel logos, DVD/game menus, black bars on widescreen films).

An example would be Monsters, Inc. (R3) which I tested on the PV70 & PV7. It fits the screen perfectly (no black bars), so it's basically safe during the break-in period. Of course you must also consider the other factors/tips suggested (such as lowered settings, etc).

Good luck!

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 06:23 PM »
I bought Pioneer DV-600AV-S last Friday to upgrade from Pioneer DV-393AV-S.  I paired this new player with my recently bought Panasonic 42PV70 plasma.  I experimented with various video setting in the DV-600 player and here are my impressions:

1.  I got the best image quality if player is set to 720P via HDMI and HDMI color is set to full RGB.
2.  The 1080P via HDMI setting yields an "over-processed" video quality.  This may be due to multiple video conversion; the player upconverts to 1080P, then the plasma tv downconverts to 720P to meet its 720P native resolution.
3.  Any progressive settings seems to have better image quality than the interlace settings.

The player's video settings were adjusted to "0" or default, but the BNR (Block Noise Reduction) was set to 'Yes".  Video setting were done on the display only.  This is to minimize over processing of the video image.

For reference by users of Pana 42PV70, here are my display's video settings:
      a.  Mode: Cinema
      b.  Contrast: 70
      c.  Brightness: 64
      d.  Color: 38
      e.  Sharpness: 70
      f.  Color Temp: Cool
      g.  All other setting are left untouched in default.

For the plasma calibration, I used Sound and Video Essentials (by Ovation) set-up DVD.  I used Finding Nemo, Pearl Harbor, the DTS Demo Disc 6 and 8 to validate the calibration.  I did not follow the 100 (or 200) hours break-in period for plasma because this 10th generation plasma panel does not need break-in period anymore.

I had a chance to compare 480P via component (using my old DV-393 player) vs 480P via HDMI (using this new DV-600 player).  I say that there is a very distinct video image improvement via HDMI, more so if its 720P via HDMI!  The 720P HDMI produced video with vibrant colors, very deep blacks and sharp, well focused images.  Its almost HD-quality already!

Overall, I may conclude that the Pio DV-600 and Pana 42PV70 is a perfect tandem, truly bang for the buck!  For now, I'll settle for this tandem while waiting for the winner in the on-going HD format war...
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007 at 06:29 PM by fnvillafuerte »
"If you love life, life will love you back."