Author Topic: Which amplifier should i get? for my hd-dvd player a35  (Read 2827 times)

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which amplifier should i get? for my hd-dvd player a35
« on: Nov 26, 2007 at 04:00 PM »
hi! i'd like to know which amp should i get for my hddvd player a35? i was looking at marantz 8002 kaso baka next year pa sya magkakaroon..meron ba kayo marerecommend? i was thinking denon 4308, or 3808..meron bang mabibili dito na onkyo avr 805? hope meron makakahelp..thanks!

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
Re: Which amplifier should i get? for my hd-dvd player a35
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 04:16 PM »
magandang topic ito.......actually im also researching for an AVR myself, I am looking at Onkyo 805, 875 or a Denon 3808, or even a 2808 (basta meron pre-outs).   Im bias with Onkyo because of its build quality, they weigh 15-20 lbs more than the Denon 3808.  On pricepoint, it seems 3808 and 875 are equal, but the Onkyo uses Reon chip for the video scaler vs Faroudja for the Denon.   The thing is, if you are gonna go HD, you just probably use the AVR as a pass through, but if you will use SD sources a lot, the scaler of the avr will be a factor.  :)   regarding connectivity with the tosh hd-a35, the features on these AVRs regarding hdmi 1.3 are basically the same.

it seems you really cant go wrong with this mid-end receivers, whether Onkyo or Denon.  but the latest models seems to point out that Onkyo brings more value on the table than the Denons.

Denon has wireless internet connectivity.  has GUI, and runs cooler than the Onkyo.

Onkyo has the reon scaler (better video processing), the THX cert, and has larger torroidal transformers, hence runs hotter than the Denons.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2007 at 04:30 PM by Munskie »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 04:21 PM »
here's a good thread to watch...

denon vs onkyo

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 06:06 PM »
magandang topic ito.......actually im also researching for an AVR myself, I am looking at Onkyo 805, 875 or a Denon 3808, or even a 2808 (basta meron pre-outs).   Im bias with Onkyo because of its build quality, they weigh 15-20 lbs more than the Denon 3808.  On pricepoint, it seems 3808 and 875 are equal, but the Onkyo uses Reon chip for the video scaler vs Faroudja for the Denon.   The thing is, if you are gonna go HD, you just probably use the AVR as a pass through, but if you will use SD sources a lot, the scaler of the avr will be a factor.  :)   regarding connectivity with the tosh hd-a35, the features on these AVRs regarding hdmi 1.3 are basically the same.

it seems you really cant go wrong with this mid-end receivers, whether Onkyo or Denon.  but the latest models seems to point out that Onkyo brings more value on the table than the Denons.

Denon has wireless internet connectivity.  has GUI, and runs cooler than the Onkyo.

Onkyo has the reon scaler (better video processing), the THX cert, and has larger torroidal transformers, hence runs hotter than the Denons.

thanks sa help..sabi kasi ng friend ko..meron daw sya dati onkyo...kaso d daw maganda yung sounds..so i don't know if masbetter na ba yung mga models ngayon..thanks! meron ka na ba nacanvass ng mga denon or onkyo prices?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 06:55 PM »
the 2008 models of Denon are now available, nagpost na ata sight and sound dito.....while Onkyo models wala pa.... :)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 06:59 PM »
magandang topic ito.......actually im also researching for an AVR myself, I am looking at Onkyo 805, 875 or a Denon 3808, or even a 2808 (basta meron pre-outs).   Im bias with Onkyo because of its build quality..

Opss...I better leave this topic before incurr any damage... ;D

Somehow, I'm also bias toward Onkyo with its features esp the apetizing reon scaler & the THX cert..hmm.. ::)

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 07:04 PM »
magandang topic ito.......actually im also researching for an AVR myself, I am looking at Onkyo 805, 875 or a Denon 3808, or even a 2808 (basta meron pre-outs).   Im bias with Onkyo because of its build quality, they weigh 15-20 lbs more than the Denon 3808.  On pricepoint, it seems 3808 and 875 are equal, but the Onkyo uses Reon chip for the video scaler vs Faroudja for the Denon.   The thing is, if you are gonna go HD, you just probably use the AVR as a pass through, but if you will use SD sources a lot, the scaler of the avr will be a factor.  :)   regarding connectivity with the tosh hd-a35, the features on these AVRs regarding hdmi 1.3 are basically the same.

total naguupgarde ka na rin, magrotel ka na pare ;) hehehe rsx-1057/8 na lang d mo naman kailangan ng decoder e. let the player decode and pass it to the receiver as pcm ;D

demonyo ba ko? ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 07:08 PM »
total naguupgarde ka na rin, magrotel ka na pare ;) hehehe rsx-1057/8 na lang d mo naman kailangan ng decoder e. let the player decode and pass it to the receiver as pcm ;D

demonyo ba ko? ;D
mas lalaki gastos ko..hehehe..my amp is only three channel.   The onkyo really puts value on the money.  besides, having the AVR to decode the new sound formats is better than not having that feature..... ;D ;D

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 08:23 AM »
Opss...I better leave this topic before incurr any damage... ;D

Somehow, I'm also bias toward Onkyo with its features esp the apetizing reon scaler & the THX cert..hmm.. ::)

how about onkyo vs. marantz 8002? which is better onkyo 875, 905 or marantz 8002? i like with the marantz 8002 is yung 2 hdmi outputs niya coz i'll be needing it for my plasma and projector..

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 08:31 AM »

saw a good comparison chart based on specs...

onkyo 875 vs denon 3808

http://www.theosfiles.com/zzz/receiver_compare_875_vs_3808CI.html
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2007 at 08:33 AM by Munskie »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:02 AM »
how about onkyo vs. marantz 8002? which is better onkyo 875, 905 or marantz 8002? i like with the marantz 8002 is yung 2 hdmi outputs niya coz i'll be needing it for my plasma and projector..
havent heard a marantz before but having 2 hdmi out is cool lalo na kung dalawa monitor mo in same room. :)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:11 AM »
spoke with Jeff of Theater Works last friday and he told me that the 705 and 875 are coming na. he actually ordered na (no black color), coming if I am not mistaken this week or next week  ;)

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:14 AM »
havent heard a marantz before but having 2 hdmi out is cool lalo na kung dalawa monitor mo in same room. :)

This is indeed one very cool feature.  :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:16 AM »
spoke with Jeff of Theater Works last friday and he told me that the 705 and 875 are coming na. he actually ordered na (no black color), coming if I am not mistaken this week or next week  ;)
no 805?  no black color?  minamalas nga yata ako sa Onkyo........ :) at least pwede ma audition... :)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 10:22 AM »
no 805?  no black color?  minamalas nga yata ako sa Onkyo........ :) at least pwede ma audition... :)

minimal kasi daw yung price diff. kaya hindi na nagparating ng 805  ;) I also like black color baka sa next order niya mayron  na  ;)

both amp will sure be a good match with A-35  ;) para hindi ot  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2007 at 10:24 AM by vtec3 »

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 10:57 AM »
ERT,

Denon 3803,Marantz 8002,Onkyo 805

Denon is known for its all-around ability whether music or movies. Moreover, they have the most powerful amplifier. If ever you decideon the 3808 i bet that you won't yearn for any external amplifier.

Marantz is typically a musical amplifier, if you'remore of a music-aficionado, the 8002would the obvious choice.

Onkyo is best well-known for its value and technoligical advancement.  However, it has the least powerful amplifier among the three.

If you're going to use a bookshelf-type speakers then any of the three will suffice your need for a great set-up.  However, if you demand pure and raw power,and going to use a floorstander as your fronts, then i suggest that you get either the 3808 or 8002.

It all boils down to what is your priority, is it technological advancement, features or plain good sound.