Author Topic: A-AUDIO Speaker Creations!!!  (Read 1065255 times)

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A-AUDIO Speaker Creations!!!
« Reply #1140 on: Jul 03, 2010 at 06:32 PM »
I know he makes his own passives.

Got the new speakers na. Kaso bago pa and needs some time to break it in. Pero i'm telling you guys, A-Audio has a winner here. It's quite a balance for HT and audio application. Yun hinahanap kong ummphh sa clone is here! Bass is significant! Same quality sa mids ng clone pero definitely masmataba.

good kasi i do not appreciate raon crossovers ;D iba talaga yung nag design and nag gawa ay master at love ang music ;D plus pili ang components

how much ito? ;D planning a budget second setup. will look for second hand solid state integrated amp naman when this speaker's price is right ;D simple 2.0 audio only setup not crossing over PHp 20K ;D

bosing pwede sunday demo? ;D pag nakuha ko nalang kotse ko sa hospital ;D two weeks pa siya naka confine kasi hehehehe
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2010 at 06:44 PM by ment »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #1141 on: Jul 04, 2010 at 06:20 AM »
I would like to thank DIY Master Anthony and Guru Nelson de Leon for giving me the opportunity to test and review this product (A-Audio’s new bookshelves).

I took out most items in my signal chain for a shorter path and a cleaner signal. Here’s what I had left:
Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player
Cambridge Audio Azur 840A V2 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge Audio Azur XLR Balanced Interconnect
Van den Hul – “The Teatrack Hybrid” bi-wire speaker wires

This combination is naturally fast, forward, lean and fairly dry. I will compare the A-Audio 8” bookshelves with a pair of bookshelves that I have lying around. Incidentally, they also have 8” woofers and same-sized textile dome tweets. The similarities don’t end there. Both have polypropylene bullet cones and 180degree tweeter waveguides. Both are front ported and bi-wirable.

2.5’ stands were used to keep the tweeter plane at ear level. 15 degrees of toe-in was dialed in on each side. Speakers were 2.5’  from the nearest side wall, and 3.5’ from the back wall. Speakers were 9' apart and 10' from the listening position. Listening position is 2' from the back wall.

Materials used: IASCA Sound Quality Reference CD (2009), JM Lab Le Grand Spectacle du Son CD No. 3, London Symphony Orchestra Highlights (Prestige), Josh Groban Awake Live (Reprise), Reference Vocal (Rockinmusic), Triangle Electroacoustique – CD de Demonstration (Edition 2003-2004), Acoustic Audiophile Voices (Premium).

STAGE
Distance: The stage was exactly at the speaker plane; same as the reference speakers.
Width: Extended 1 foot to each side beyond the actual location of the speaks; same for both sets. Some speaker localization was evident (not a fault at this price range).
Height: The A-Audio speaks planted everything at ear level. The reference pair had some instruments like trumpets, violins and female vocals hanging a foot above the speaker level.
Depth: Stage was quite shallow (about 1.5’ to 2’ deep) with most recordings, but extends to about 4’ to 5' deep with Josh Groban’s Awake Live at elevated levels. This is okay since realistic stage depth is something that I don’t expect from bookshelves below 20k in price (or towers below 40k). The fact that there was some perceived depth is commendable. Layering was great for the price, quite a bit better than the reference speaker.
Ambience: Walls in the recording venue were a bit more audible with the A-Audio, and audience chatter was more natural-sounding. Reference speakers had more air around instruments and arguably projected a more intimate stage (similar sound to near reflections, or putting your speaks close to walls).

IMAGING
Position: Tie. Both speakers did this perfectly, with uniform spacing.
Focus: A-Audio has a good and tight focus, with realistic instrument size. Reference speaker has a bigger and more diffused sound.

TONAL ACCURACY
Sub Bass: Reference speaker provided much more output, but was peakier (seems like a strong 40hz - 60hz). A-Audio has a smoother but weaker response, and can be a tad slow. Absolute low end extension was comparable.
Mid Bass: Reference speaker had a more impactful midbass. A-Audio had a well-judged output that was taut and pleasant.
Midrange: Reference speaker had lush and chesty voices. Instruments had more weight and bloom. A-Audio had a more neutral tone with realistic depth and less emotion.  
High Frequencies: A-Audio was more revealing and accurate. It also had less difficulty reproducing metallic timbres, which was fascinating for a soft dome. Reference speaker was sweet and tame in comparison, thereby balancing the natural brightness of my test gear. High freq extension was adequate for both (don’t take my word for this, because my hearing clearly dips beyond 16kHz).

SPECTRAL BALANCE
Low Volume: A-Audio had difficulty delivering a sense of scale at lower volumes, but retained most of the details present in the music. Reference speaker had better balance at lower volumes, but tended to hide details at this listening level.
High Volume:  A high playback volume typically neutralizes some deficiencies, and both A-Audio and the reference speak did well in this test. The A-Audio showed its leaner melodic balance and revealed nuances in the music, while the reference pair continued to sound larger (reminded me of FS speaks) and began to define the details.

LISTENING PLEASURE
The reference speakers delivered a big sound with lots of scale for bookshelves. It also had a driving and forceful quality that can be quite exciting. The larger than life lush vocals and sweet highs were also very easy to listen to.
The A-Audio pair is a neutral sounding set, thereby presenting the natural lean and dry sound of my gear. It is nicely detailed, and is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get speaker. I’ve had 3 PSB pairs, and this A-Audio seems to have acquired some similarity in the mid-band, though the PSBs had a slight tilt towards warmth.

NOISE FLOOR
No significant difference. Both speakers hid whatever junk my gear threw out during silent portions in music (no audible hiss).

OVERALL
Things can go either way, depending on partnering gear. This is the best A-Audio pair I’ve heard, featuring neutral response and a delicate and textured mid-band. It’s a jack-of-all-trades speaker that is revealing and flexible. My reference speakers sound great in my bright and lean system, but it could surely be dark and overpowering in many others.

CONCLUSION
Again, mix and match to achieve synergy. Don’t mind what brand you have in front of you, just let your ears decide.  
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2010 at 07:11 AM by Stagea »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1142 on: Jul 04, 2010 at 07:22 AM »
Here are some observations:

1. The exterior piano-black finish is better than older builds I've seen. Almost up there with branded speaks.
2. The rounded edges and the grille frame are very nicely cut. The shape reminds me of the MA RX2.
3. The grilles have nice and soft retainers that slot smoothly into place.
4. The mids have bullet plugs similar to (albeit bigger than) the PSB Alpha and previous Image lines.
5. The enclosure is rigid and fairly dead. It easily passes the knock test.
6. The physical size is dominating. The height and depth is actually shorter than my reference speaks, but the A-Audio was just much wider throughout its depth. It's just short of the Dynaudio DM 2/10 bookshelves in physical dimensions.

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2010 at 07:24 AM by Stagea »

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1143 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 09:23 AM »
too much to read.. LOL !

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #1144 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 01:17 PM »

1. The exterior piano-black finish is better than older builds I've seen. Almost up there with branded speaks.
2. The rounded edges and the grille frame are very nicely cut. The shape reminds me of the MA RX2.
4. The mids have bullet plugs similar to (albeit bigger than) the PSB Alpha and previous Image lines.
6. The physical size is dominating. The height and depth is actually shorter than my reference speaks, but the A-Audio was just much wider throughout its depth. It's just short of the Dynaudio DM 2/10 bookshelves in physical dimensions.

Uy meron ng Aethetic (Build) Review, performance na lang!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1145 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 01:54 PM »
Uy meron ng Aethetic (Build) Review, performance na lang!
??? magkasunod lang di ba?  ;)
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #1146 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 01:59 PM »
??? magkasunod lang di ba?  ;)
Yup, I miss that! Stagea is the official  A-Audio reviewer
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1147 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 10:33 PM »
ang tagal ng kotse ko :( i wanna test it out na

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1148 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 02:29 PM »
@nelson or any1

sir i have a cambridge 650a and 650 c and im planning on buying the MS mezzo2 bagay kasi sila.. would you recommend this speaker(psb woofer) compare to the mezzo hehe..  never auditioned diymaster's speakers yet so id like to have feedback from people here.. thanks.

I have a cambridge 640a and 540C with diymaster's SC1 clone setup. All I can tell you is that i'm impress but i would suggest you to audition for your ears liking.... ;)

Offline himura001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1149 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 01:38 PM »
        Hi guys! I am new here and have read most of the posts regarding Sir Anthony's great speakers. I need your help guys...  I am really in a dilemma right now whether I should buy the Bic Venturi DV62LCR-S (an MTM center speaker that can be also used as fronts/ dual 6.5" woofer and 3/4 ferrofluid cooled tweeter)+ Sir Anthony's subwoofer and tablette for surround or should I go for full Proac clones bookshelf+Sealed 12" FF subwoofer or Proac 2.5+DF 10" subwoofer or this 8"bookshelf+12"FF subwoofer?

The advantage of the BIC LCR is that all fronts are timber matched and are known for great clarity in Home theater but getting the surround bookshelf would be harder to get in the future (have to be ordered from USA )and most say that the speakers can exhibit slight sibilance, while Sir Anthony's speakers are better in musical reproduction, has outstanding after sales service, and would be easier to upgrade to full 7.1 in the future. What do you think guys? Any output would be well appreciated...

OVERALL
Things can go either way, depending on partnering gear. This is the best A-Audio pair I’ve heard, featuring neutral response and a delicate and textured mid-band. It’s a jack-of-all-trades speaker that is revealing and flexible. My reference speakers sound great in my bright and lean system, but it could surely be dark and overpowering in many others.

So is this bookshelf is marginally better than a Proac clone D2? Which of the 3 bookshelf (Proac clone 1sc or Proac clone D2 or this 8") is better for 60% Music and 40% Movies? Any advice and actual experience is would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

By the way I am gonna be using these speakers with a pioneer VSX 919AH-k.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2010 at 01:40 PM by himura001 »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1150 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 03:17 PM »
@himura001
I've only heard 4 sets.... all from Nelson de Leon. These are:
8" Bookshelves - The reviewed set
5" Bookshelves - Proac clones (I'm not sure about the model)
8" Towers - Custom designed 3-way
12" Towers - 2-way Coaxial

The clones sound a bit better integrated from the mids to the highs, but the 8" bookshelves have better extension in both the highs and lows. I also think that they are a bit more revealing.

It's best if you can hear them first, as they may or may not work for you.

BIC Venturi speaks are very efficient, and do not need much power to drive. I didn't know that they're still available locally.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2010 at 03:22 PM by Stagea »

Offline himura001

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1151 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 03:26 PM »
@Stagea
I see. Thanks a lot sir! How would you compare this speaker to branded BS like Polk Tsi/Bic Venturi/B&W/Whafedale (In terms of what would be the equivalent line of such branded speakers as compared to Sir Anthony's creations...) Which do you think would better be suited to a Pioneer AVR? You can pm me sir! I really appreciate whatever your opinion would be! I will still end up buying a speaker or two, specially a subwoofer from Sir Anthony later.   :)
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010 at 08:00 PM by himura001 »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1152 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 04:31 PM »
I'll test the 8"ers tomorrow sa pio AV/R ko. Haven't tried it yet sa HT cuz sa stereo ko lang sinubukan. Though my pio dvdp is kinda bright, the 8"ers can probably attenuate the highs when paired with the pio AV/R. I cannot comment much on the 8"ers for stereo cuz my current cdp is too laid back and may probably match with bright speaks. Have an upgrade waiting to happen pa. pero the 8"ers cannot go wrong with any S/S amp.

Offline himura001

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1153 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 04:42 PM »
@Sir Nelson

Thanks in advance sir! I'll wait for your post.  :)

Offline diy_master

• Trade Count: (+232)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • audio generator.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1154 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 09:58 AM »
my new surround speakers for my 7.1 set-up....

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2010 at 10:00 AM by diy_master »

Offline dencio105

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1155 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 10:01 AM »
Anthony ano specs nito? Dimensions?

Thanks!

my new surround speakers for my 7.1 set-up....

Offline diy_master

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • audio generator.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1156 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 10:04 AM »

Sir Stagea, Thanks for the review ;)

Offline diy_master

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • audio generator.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1157 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 10:20 AM »
Anthony ano specs nito? Dimensions?

Thanks!

Sir, ito specs and dimensions..

6.5" woofer
vifa tweeter DT 909
back ported
150 watts
91db
30hz-20khz

HxWxD
8.75"x12.75"x7"

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1158 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 11:27 AM »
Sir, ito specs and dimensions..

6.5" woofer
vifa tweeter DT 909
back ported
150 watts
91db
30hz-20khz

HxWxD
8.75"x12.75"x7"

Pwede kayang gawing front ported yan?

Offline diy_master

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • audio generator.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1159 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 01:39 PM »
Pwede kayang gawing front ported yan?

yes sir! pwede

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1160 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 02:38 PM »
Sir Stagea, Thanks for the review ;)

You're very welcome sir. :) Thanks for allowing us to hear this new creation.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1161 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 03:02 PM »
@Sir Nelson

Thanks in advance sir! I'll wait for your post.  :)

Tried it na on HT last night lang. Maganda pala siya sa S/S! Very dynamic. Tested it on concerts and movies. Soundwise, though BS siya, kung tumunog parang FS na. 3way FS custom A-audio ang gamit ko for HT. This big BS has better mids and tamed highs sa HT ko.

One of the very best BS for HT na gawa ni Anthony.

Offline yygoob

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1162 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 09:19 PM »
pwede bang makikinig ulit!!! ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1163 on: Jul 10, 2010 at 12:07 PM »
pwede bang makikinig ulit!!! ;D

Sure.

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1164 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 12:33 AM »
up to now naalala ko pa clone floorstanders + 3802 combo ko just a few months ago.. kinda miss them but well. they were a good few months :).

Offline xtrm_2001

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1165 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 02:33 PM »
sir what can you recommend bookshelf & sub (for audio) to be paired on HK integrated 70/channel.
specs & price range na din po sana

TIA

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1166 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 02:57 PM »
sir what can you recommend bookshelf & sub (for audio) to be paired on HK integrated 70/channel.
specs & price range na din po sana

TIA

I would recommend this new BS. You might want to listen muna. Baka hindi ka na maghanap ng sub.  ;)

Offline TonyC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1167 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 08:50 PM »

Hi Stagea...sent you PM...thanks!

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1168 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 10:34 PM »
Got your PM Tony.

Thanks!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1169 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 08:12 AM »
Whew. Tagal nasira internet. Gave me time to enjoy my gears specially Anthony's 8"ers. Who's next in line for auditioning this monster BS?  :)