Author Topic: Hairspray (2007) - November 20, 2007 on DVD/BD; on HD DVD in 2008  (Read 1584 times)

Offline chinoh151

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saw it in the movie theater and I think it's really fantastic, fun and very entertaining! Any word in when the R1 is getting released?  ;D ;D ;D

Can't wait...  :(
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 08:39 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Re: Hairspray
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 10:32 PM »
R2 is November 19, so R1 could be around that time.  But given that it is still going strong at the theaters, they will probably wait a few more weeks before announcing a release date for the DVD...

Amazon Us has a page up for the DVD but it's just an 'alert you' when it become available page...
http://www.amazon.com/Hairspray-John-Travolta/dp/B00005JODM
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Hairspray - Any info yet?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 08:21 PM »
Thanks for the headsup techdude.  ;D

I was reading IMDb boards and someone mentioned the R1 being released in December...tagal pa.  >:( :( :-[

I've been waiting on dvdactive everyday...waiting for at least some details!!!  :D :P

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 11:48 PM »
if its on December, then it will be preordered with High School Musical 2  ;)

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 02:16 PM »
from Video Business:

New Line title will debut Nov. 20 in three standard DVD versions

By Marcy Magiera -- Video Business, 9/11/2007
SEPT. 11 | New Line Home Entertainment will set holiday style Nov. 20, when it releases Hairspray in three standard DVD versions and on Blu-ray Disc, the studio’s first high-definition release.

The dual-format supporting studio also will release the musical on HD DVD, but not until the first half of 2008 due to the format's lack of regional coding, making the title a de facto Blu-ray exclusive in the fourth quarter.

On DVD, the $107 million grossing box-office hit will be available as a single-disc priced at $28.98, in a two-disc “Shake and Shimmy” edition priced at $34.99 and in a gift set priced at $59.76. The Blu-ray and upcoming HD DVD will be $34.99. All prebook Oct. 16.

New Line decided to release the musical into the crowded fourth quarter, rather than waiting until the early January slot where it has success with such titles as last year's Wedding Crashers, as counterprogramming of a sort.

"Given the broad consumer audience for the film, we wanted to be out there," said New Line executive VP Matt LaSorsa. "It is unique and we think it will stand up against the major blockbusters." The studio will back the title with an "aggressive media budget," he said.

Both the two-disc DVD and the Blu-ray version will be packaged with a unique two-sided, transparent sleeve, that can be turned to show either the show's adult or teenage casts on the front of the package.

The two-disc “Shake and Shimmy” edition and the high-def versions are fully decked-out with extras, among them behind-the-scenes bonus features including a new musical number (“I Can Wait”), a “You Can’t Stop the Beat” documentary, a “Hairspray Extensions” featurette offering dance breakdowns, audio commentaries and deleted scenes.

In addition, the Blu-ray version will have a “Behind the Beat” picture-in-picture-type option allowing viewers to watch behind-the-scenes footage and commentary concurrent with the running feature. The HD DVD, when it realeases next year, also will have picture-in-picture, Internet connectivity and Web-enhanced features.

The remake of the classic John Waters film about star-struck teenagers on a Baltimore TV dance show features a high-profile ensemble cast that includes John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Queen Latifah, Christopher Walken, Amanda Bynes and Zac Efron.

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 02:16 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 02:43 PM »
This is the second time today that boardfimmaker has made me very, very happy! Thanks dude.  ;D ;D

This is awesome news!!! Bring on the giftset!!!

But what's in it?  ;D

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1248
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 08:21 PM »
from DVD Times:

Hairspray (R1) in November

New Line Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Hairspray on 20th November 2007. Directed and choreographed by Adam Shankman, Hairspray is based on John Waters’ contemporary classic film and the subsequent Broadway musical about star-struck teenagers on a local Baltimore dance show. The cast includes John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Queen Latifah, Christopher Walken, Amanda Bynes, Zac Efron, Brittany Snow, James Marsden, Elijah Kelley, Allison Janney and newcomer Nikki Blonsky.

Available in both single-disc ($28.99 SRP) and a two-disc “Shake and Shimmy” Edition ($34.99 SRP) the latter will also be featured as part of a deluxe gift set featuring a metal school locker that can be personalized and decorated with custom photos and stickers as well as an exclusive Hairspray tote bag. The locker is available in either “Penny Pink” or “Link Lime,” and the gift set is priced at a $59.76 SRP.

Single-Disc Edition:
    16x9 widescreen (1.85:1) version of the film or 4x3 fullscreen version of the film
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX Surround Sound
    English & Spanish subtitles
    Closed captions

Two-Disc “Shake and Shimmy” Edition:
    All new musical number, “I Can Wait”
    Feature-length audio commentary from director and choreographer Adam Shankman, star Nikki Blonsky and producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron
    Deleted scenes with audio commentary from director and choreographer Adam Shankman and star Nikki Blonsky
    “You Can’t Stop the Beat: The Long Journey of Hairspray” documentary
    “Step By Step: The Dances of Hairspray” featurette offering how-to dance instruction
    “Hairspray Extensions” featurette, giving viewers dance breakdowns
    Jump to a song with optional sing-along feature
    “The Roots of Hairspray” featurette
    Interactive menus
    Theatrical trailer
    16x9 widescreen (1.85:1) version of the film
    English 2.0 Stereo Surround
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX (on feature, deleted scenes and interactive menus)
    English & Spanish subtitles
    Closed captions

The 2-Disc SE also features a reversible sleeve.

Artworks for all editions can be found at link: 

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65905

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Re: Hairspray (2007) - November 20, 2007 on DVD/BD; on HD DVD in 2008
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 08:51 PM »
I agree with the comment on DVDTimes that the giftset looks too 'girly.'   So it will probably be the two-disc version for me...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 09:05 PM »
I agree with the comment on DVDTimes that the giftset looks too 'girly.'   So it will probably be the two-disc version for me...

Yup it does...I'll just get the Link Lime...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 09:07 PM »
I agree with the comment on DVDTimes that the giftset looks too 'girly.'

That's so funny :

I like the concept of the reversible sleeve. One features all the old stars for the older fans of the movie, while the other has all the younger stars for that demographic:

Sadly, I'm part of the group that will be using the older stars on my DVD display rack.  :-\

;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 09:14 PM »

Sadly, I'm part of the group that will be using the older stars on my DVD display rack.  :-\

;D

^Me too.... :D :D :D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 10:36 AM »
from DVD Times:

Single-Disc Edition:
    16x9 widescreen (1.85:1) version of the film or 4x3 fullscreen version of the film

Two-Disc “Shake and Shimmy” Edition:
    16x9 widescreen (1.85:1) version of the film

I hope that's a press release error, since as pointed out on another forum, that would mean the movie's being cropped: its original aspect ratio is 2.35:1:o
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007 at 10:37 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...