Author Topic: help in setting up! newbie ako! hehe!  (Read 1534 times)

Offline dinozar711

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
help in setting up! newbie ako! hehe!
« on: Sep 11, 2007 at 04:00 PM »
hi! my dad and i are planning to setup a new HT. our problem is that we are having trouble determining what brand of speakers to buy. before i suggested to get B&W but its too expensive. mission too is also expensive. last week we were able to go to an HT store in festival and we were introduced to wharfedale (2006-2007 model. includes sub). we are almost set to buying this set up together with an onkyo amp (60 sumtin ata yun) but i would want to read the suggestions of the experts! hope you guys could help me out. just throw out any suggestions with regards to brands and what stuff to buy.

*i also heard of the jamo brand. is that any good? and do the speakers manufactured in china any good? i mean could they be compared to those made in europe. i know there is a big difference but is the sound quality considered to be above average?

*by the way, we have an old sony 5.1 and 6.1 DTS amps! baka may interested na bumili dyan...   

Offline archiep

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: help in setting up! newbie ako! hehe!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 04:43 PM »
Hi!

Also a newbie here and on HT as well. I was able to get some info from the good guys here to check out this store: "THE HOME THEATER", they are located in Makati and here is their phone number : 8138443. Look for Sonny or Butch, visit their store and you'll be rocking in no time!

Archiep

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 04:56 PM »
hi! my dad and i are planning to setup a new HT. our problem is that we are having trouble determining what brand of speakers to buy. before i suggested to get B&W but its too expensive. mission too is also expensive. last week we were able to go to an HT store in festival and we were introduced to wharfedale (2006-2007 model. includes sub). we are almost set to buying this set up together with an onkyo amp (60 sumtin ata yun) but i would want to read the suggestions of the experts! hope you guys could help me out. just throw out any suggestions with regards to brands and what stuff to buy.

*i also heard of the jamo brand. is that any good? and do the speakers manufactured in china any good? i mean could they be compared to those made in europe. i know there is a big difference but is the sound quality considered to be above average?

*by the way, we have an old sony 5.1 and 6.1 DTS amps! baka may interested na bumili dyan...   

There are a lot of satisfied owner of the wharfedale diamond 9. Try to look for the thread, its one of the longest here. I don't own a diamond 9 but I've auditioned it and it sounds good. IMHO it's one of the best bang for the buck budget speakers in the market now. As for the jamo I've never auditioned it so I really don't know. I suggest you try them out and buy the one that gives you the most sonic pleasure.

Most speakers right now is assembled in china. Even the new B&Ws are being manufactured in china. Also there are even chinese brands that are highly regarded in audio like aurum cantus and usher.

Just try to post your sony in the marketplace.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007 at 04:57 PM by glacierfrost »

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 06:29 PM »
check atlantic technology - I heard it's very good in HT with it's dual woofer for fronts and lamost identical for center, and they got THX models. Check also the dealer somewhere in the threads...  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 06:53 PM »
try to get the onkyo tx-sr605 para medyo future proof ka na. i hear the wharfs sound nice but try to get a different sub. velodynes are well regarded in this forum.

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 10:10 PM »
There are a lot of satisfied owner of the wharfedale diamond 9. Try to look for the thread, its one of the longest here.

im one of those satisfied owners of diamond 9.5!  ;D, bought @ hi-fi lounge - festival mall during the Audio/video fair @alabang few mos ago with 15% discount  ;D kaboom for the buck!
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2007 at 12:55 PM »
last week we were able to go to an HT store in festival and we were introduced to wharfedale (2006-2007 model. includes sub).

Try to google the U.S. Wharfe Diamond 9 prices.  The Philippine prices will surprise you.

The consensus here is that Wharfes are best matched with Yamaha receivers.

Wharfe speakers are good, but their subs are not.  Nevetheless, the Wharfe sub would be fine if you have a small room.

i hear the wharfs sound nice but try to get a different sub. velodynes are well regarded in this forum.

I agree.  For the sub, try auditioning a 10" Velo first.

... and do the speakers manufactured in china any good? i mean could they be compared to those made in europe. i know there is a big difference but is the sound quality considered to be above average?

Wharfes are now made in China, but their R&D lab is still U.K.-based.  Speakers are relatively easy to make, so it's easier to maintain the quality of speakers made in the Chinese plant. 

Significant quality differences arise only for equipment that are extremely difficult to manufacture such as flat panel TVs.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2007 at 01:23 PM by barrister »

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 09:39 AM »

hi dino...dont rush things...listen to as many speakers as you can. only then can you decide which ones are good and which ones are not, at least for your own preference. consider buying only the one that you really want among all that you have listened to. dont settle for anything less. otherwise, youll be listening to it while your mind is wishing for something else. buy the one that is realistically affordable to you, save up and go for it. to start with, here are some options u may wanna try: BnW, paradigm,dynaudio,kef, usher, dali, vienna acoustics, monitor audio, energy, psb, tannoy, jmlab, nht, reference 3a, epos, thiel, meadowlark, vandersteen,mission, polk audio, aurum cantus, jbl, acoustic energy, wharfedale, mordaunt short, jamo, proac, spendor, harbeth, totem, triangle, LSA, von schweikert, living voice, coincident...be very familiar with the sound of each and start from there :)...quite a long list huh
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 01:18 PM »
Dino,
If you have a freetime and in the vicinity of Ortigas please visit Audiovox atthe 4th level of edsa shangri-la, you can audition the aurum cantus, era design and castle speaker.

You can directly sms me 0918-9068718 or call 395-5115 I can go there to assist personally you  :)

Cheers

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 02:07 PM »
By nature Filipinos are POLYGAMUS especially in selecting to be the speaker of the House.....  ;D  ;D  ;D
Sir, Accastil.. with all those beautiful names you listed... I won't mind to have a Full House....  ::)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline SoLiDtUbEs

• Apprentice
  • May The Light In Your Tubes Never Fade..
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 01:19 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Wharfedales. More so if it fits right into your budget considerations.
The Onkyo amp is also a fine choice to start with. However for 60K there are more options to try. We do hope upon hearing the gears at the Festival Mall shop you were already pleased with the sound and that is the crux of the matter.

No expert around here can be any better than your own personal perception of what sounds great. ;D

Learn to polish up on your own hearing tastebuds in the end you will realise they don't LIE!
I say GO FOR IT! Perhaps you can give some details on your room. This way we can give you more tips on proper speaker placements etc.

-S-
"Music is The Highest Philosophy"-Plato

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 12:44 PM »
Rooms can be tweak around once you made your choices of gears that fit to your taste and pocket....  ;D  ::)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline NMM1

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 04:13 PM »
it seems that every advice you need has been replied to by our fellow members.... all i can say is that what is good sounding for you today may not be good tomorrow..... my point is...it's a never ending upgrades..... but they are right..... start first with your budget and go around it.... audition as many speakers as u can within your budget....IMHO, don't auditon (yet) speakers that are beyond ur budget, u might get frustrated unless u have a savings that you are willing to spend but then again that doesn't stop there....as for brands, wharfs are really bang for buck... i would recommend them.... atlantics are also great for HT especially the timber matching center....jamos are also ok but i find them a bit bright though, perhaps it depends on the amp....

hope this helps...
Rega | Schiit| Puffin | Yamaha | Dynaudio | ProAc | Accuphase