Author Topic: DIY - light behind your LCD  (Read 46753 times)

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
DIY - light behind your LCD
« on: Oct 26, 2007 at 09:40 AM »
I've read in a number of forums that a soft light behind your LCD is very beneficial.
It enahnces your experience of watching.
I know that Philips has an ambilight built in their displays -- not sure of other brands.
If my LCD doesn't have this feature, are there DIYs that you have done to get this effect?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: DIY - light behind your LCD
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 10:47 AM »
I've read in a number of forums that a soft light behind your LCD is very beneficial.
I know that Philips has an ambilight built in their displays -- not sure of other brands.
If my LCD doesn't have this feature, are there DIYs that you have done to get this effect?

Try going at ace hardware and look at philips ambilights, 4 strips at 2100.00 pesos.Its so cool ;)

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 02:16 PM »
Thanks for the info :)
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 09:43 PM »

Hi Jayps11_c! :)

Just make sure that the backlight is only 10% (max) of the light your LCD generates. Too much brightness will ruin your viewing experience. This was recommended to me by the very good people of S&S. ;D

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 10:31 PM »
Ang problema hindi alam ng mga taga-ACE kung ano yung "ambilight".
Actually ako din hindi ko alam kung ano itsura nun.
I was hoping na pag sinabi ko they will povide me the item -- kaso gna di nila alam.

Meron sila piakita -- really slim "flourecent type" light. Walang plug, i-t-tap mo lang siya sa electric source.
Tapos install via double adhesive. I'm not sure if this is the same "ambilight" that Ricky is talking about.

I'll try other ACE stores and see if they have an idea of the ambilight.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 10:50 PM »
Ang problema hindi alam ng mga taga-ACE kung ano yung "ambilight".
Actually ako din hindi ko alam kung ano itsura nun.
I was hoping na pag sinabi ko they will povide me the item -- kaso gna di nila alam.

Meron sila piakita -- really slim "flourecent type" light. Walang plug, i-t-tap mo lang siya sa electric source.
Tapos install via double adhesive. I'm not sure if this is the same "ambilight" that Ricky is talking about.

I'll try other ACE stores and see if they have an idea of the ambilight.

Sir Jayps11_c,

Just ask for Philips Ambilight. They will know what that is. Try True Value. That is where I saw them. The staff of TV are familiar with it. ;D

Offline boybi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 11:10 PM »
Pwede rin ba sa plasma yan? Or masyado ng bright ang plasma?

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2007 at 06:21 AM »
Thanks stick...I'll visit some stores (ACE and True Value) later today to look for this.

By the way, how do you power the ambilight? Will you need a separate power socket?
Or I cna tap it from any electrical source -- just like what was being offered by the sales person in ACE Hypermart.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2007 at 06:48 AM »
yung philips na ambilight is actually LED lights.  saw a demo on how to use the unit.  you can choose from 4 colors ata built in the unit.  kaya you can choose a different color everytime you watch.  pwede rin syang parang christmas light since it can go blinking.

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2007 at 10:03 AM »
Here's the thing...I don't have a Philips LCD (Samsung yung sa akin).
I just want to get the same effect as the ambi light ng Philips.
Kaya I was wondering how will I install an ambilight kung wala naman siya original place sa LCD ko :(
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline jobimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2007 at 02:30 PM »
yep same here. kaya ba sa non-philips?

thanks much!

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2007 at 08:17 PM »
Saw the Philips LED strips (selling for 2.1K - set of 4 na) sa ACE SM Makati.
Yung nag iiba-iba yung color -- 5K++.
I'm having second thoughts on this -- kasi parang hindi siya yung naiisip ko.
You'll also need to plug this to make it work (hindi pwede naka tap) -- so medyo dagdag sa kuryente.

Prioritize ko muna yung pag lagay ng shelves/ledges sa wall for the front speakers and another set above the head of the bed for the rear speakers. Still need to figure out pano ko pagagapangin yung wiring from the front to the back for the rear speakers.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 08:24 PM »
Saw the Philips LED strips (selling for 2.1K - set of 4 na) sa ACE SM Makati.
Yung nag iiba-iba yung color -- 5K++.
I'm having second thoughts on this -- kasi parang hindi siya yung naiisip ko.
You'll also need to plug this to make it work (hindi pwede naka tap) -- so medyo dagdag sa kuryente.

Prioritize ko muna yung pag lagay ng shelves/ledges sa wall for the front speakers and another set above the head of the bed for the rear speakers. Still need to figure out pano ko pagagapangin yung wiring from the front to the back for the rear speakers.

Sir Jayps11_c,

If your in a budget, I have a tip for you...Why don't you buy a very low emission night light? Plug the night light on a socket behind your unit to project a backlight effect. It may work just fine. Try it out. ;D

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 08:35 PM »
Here's the thing...I don't have a Philips LCD (Samsung yung sa akin).
I just want to get the same effect as the ambi light ng Philips.
Kaya I was wondering how will I install an ambilight kung wala naman siya original place sa LCD ko :(

How will you install the ambilights? i also have a samsung. ;)

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 09:01 PM »
Double adhesive sa likod and you should have extra outlet for the ambilight power.
Pero mahal sobra -- 2.1K for 4 strips. I like stick's idea na night lamo na lang sa likod  :P
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 09:17 PM »
Double adhesive sa likod and you should have extra outlet for the ambilight power.
Pero mahal sobra -- 2.1K for 4 strips. I like stick's idea na night lamo na lang sa likod  :P

Hi Sir Jayps11_c!

The reason I recommended this is coz' I tried it out with the Sammy S81 LCD of my brother-in-law. Since the "real" ambilights are too expensive, we tried buying night lights of different colors. It did improve our viewing. :) So, when I get my R81, I'll do the same. You can even buy night lights of different colors pa to suit your mood or your program! ;)

Offline sirhcuss_v2

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Apprentice
  • Gamer since 5 years old!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 10:20 AM »
gusto ko ung madaming kulay na nagkakahalaga na 5k pero baka mamya nde sya ganun kahalata pag nilagay mo na sa likod ng LCD. sana may mabuting member ang magpost ng nakagawa na nito ng sagayon ay maliwanagan ako sa aking desisyon sa pagkuha nito. :)

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 10:54 AM »
how will the Philips Ambilight bought at the hardware store know when to change color for non-philips tvs? kasi sa philips tv, nagpapalit ng kulay depende sa most prominent color ng nasa screen.  ???

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 11:54 AM »

o nga no. kaso takot ako dikitan r81 ko baka pumangit e. ;D naka wallmount tv ko kaya ambilight lang kakasya sa likod. thanks for the help bro. ;)

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 08:28 PM »
how will the Philips Ambilight bought at the hardware store know when to change color for non-philips tvs? kasi sa philips tv, nagpapalit ng kulay depende sa most prominent color ng nasa screen.

Automatically changes. Since the ambilight is not inegrated to the TV, it will hvae it's own timing in terms of changing colors.
Unlike yung ambilight ng Philips na integrated it adapts to the TV. So it doesn't amtter if dary yung TV mo or prominent anf isang kulay if the DIY ambilight is green it will be green. After a couple of minutes it will change to another color.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline sirhcuss_v2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 07:51 AM »
Automatically changes. Since the ambilight is not inegrated to the TV, it will hvae it's own timing in terms of changing colors.
Unlike yung ambilight ng Philips na integrated it adapts to the TV. So it doesn't amtter if dary yung TV mo or prominent anf isang kulay if the DIY ambilight is green it will be green. After a couple of minutes it will change to another color.

applicable po ba ito sa 5k na ambilight? you dont need to press anything to change the colr? nung pinademo ko may pinipindot pa ung saleslady para magiba ng kulay.

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 08:32 AM »
Hi Sir Jayps11_c!

The reason I recommended this is coz' I tried it out with the Sammy S81 LCD of my brother-in-law. Since the "real" ambilights are too expensive, we tried buying night lights of different colors. It did improve our viewing. :) So, when I get my R81, I'll do the same. You can even buy night lights of different colors pa to suit your mood or your program! ;)

Ser, baka naman pwede mo post yung pic? para ma-assess natin kung acceptable nga sya or not.  :)

Offline aiebo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 08:56 AM »
yung hitachi lcdtv meron na po syang backlight adjustment.
kaya hindi na masakit sa mata kahit na patay lahat ng ilaw.  ;)

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 09:30 AM »

hmmm... personally, that doesn't sound good. better get 1 color na lang kesa nagpapalit-palit lang basta.

IMO, that night light idea sounds good! mura pa!  8)

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 09:52 AM »
stick, post pics of your suggestion :)

fooguy, you press something para mag change yung color. Pero you don't have to press it everytime just to change the color. Meron kasi options yung 5K na ambilight. 1 press = color blue, then yellow, green etc. If you set it to red (ata??) that means it will change the color every x minutes. I guess yun yung demo na sales lady. That you can choose a static color and you can also have a changing LED.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline sirhcuss_v2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 01:38 PM »
ah okie. gets ko na po. tnx. can someone post a pic or link ng pic para makita kung same effect sya like the ambilights ng philips lcd. tnx. :)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 02:27 PM »
Pasingit lang mga Chief.  ;)

If you ask for an "ambilight", most likely people at ACE or somewhere will not know it, it is commonly known as T4 (smallest) then T5 and so on.

That 5K and 2K light is very expensive...for me. Unless you prefer changing lights ala Christmas Tree.. ;D My friend also had a newly purchased LCD, even though it is wall mounted, there was still a one or two inches space from the wall, here is where he placed the T4 light, and he was really really happy with the result. T4 costs less than 150ph in DIY shop.

Btw, he had a 40" Sammy. Now if you use 32"-below, the T4 might be too bright, but if your other name is McGyver, then anything is possible. ;)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 05:53 PM »
Pasingit lang mga Chief.  ;)

If you ask for an "ambilight", most likely people at ACE or somewhere will not know it, it is commonly known as T4 (smallest) then T5 and so on.

That 5K and 2K light is very expensive...for me. Unless you prefer changing lights ala Christmas Tree.. ;D My friend also had a newly purchased LCD, even though it is wall mounted, there was still a one or two inches space from the wall, here is where he placed the T4 light, and he was really really happy with the result. T4 costs less than 150ph in DIY shop.

Btw, he had a 40" Sammy. Now if you use 32"-below, the T4 might be too bright, but if your other name is McGyver, then anything is possible. ;)

Yun pala yun, I went all over ace, true value  asking for the ambilight..They just go HUH??? K will check out T4..I may try also night light..Thanks to all

Offline sirhcuss_v2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 11:57 AM »
mas okay un sir frootloops. try ko maghanap bukas sa Ace hardware. pano pala sya ikakabit sa likod? sa wall or sa LCD TV mismo? para din ba syang strips? may sarili din syang power supply? sa 37 inch kaya pwede na to? dami questions hehehe. ana magpost po din kau ng pic para makita naman kung maganda ung effect. :)

Offline jht3

• Collector
  • HT noob :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 08:11 AM »
mga bro post naman kayo ng pics ng setup nyong naka-ambilights para masaya. hehe.
Online basketball:
www.cyberdunk.com?ref=26170