Author Topic: HDTV Calibration  (Read 3825 times)

Offline worldshaking0502

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HDTV Calibration
« on: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:27 AM »

Hi all,

What do you use to calibrate your TV? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
Re: HDTV Calibration
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 06:00 AM »
A lot of Pixar (Up, Ratatouille, etc) and THX (Star Wars, etc) Bluray discs and DVD's have video calibration in their menus. That's the simplest way.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline worldshaking0502

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 06:56 AM »
A lot of Pixar (Up, Ratatouille, etc) and THX (Star Wars, etc) Bluray discs and DVD's have video calibration in their menus. That's the simplest way.

But some calibration tests require blue eyeglasses, is it included in the disk (bluray?).

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 08:42 AM »
But some calibration tests require blue eyeglasses, is it included in the disk (bluray?).

The blue glasses are for adjusting color and tint. I find that in most cases, only slight adjustments, if any, are needed. I think that every now and then, someone in this forum sells these glasses.

The more important settings are brightness and contrast, for which you don't need glasses. Just the disks will do.

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 09:16 AM »
bah... Real calibration involves a trained ISF professional with a Colorimeter (preferrably with Klein: K-10 or high end model) a laptop with professional software, going into the service menu then changing the  internal factory settings and charging an arm and a leg.  ;D

well back to topic.
You're not going to get good calibration doing it by eyes, there just too many factors involved. you need a calibration disk. here are a few disk i found on the internet

AVS 709- You can get this one free.   AVSForums personal calibration disk, they say this one of the better calibration disk equal to that of Spears and munsil. You have to burn your own copy:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Spears munsil- balanced to ease of use and quality. new one coming out with a sound calibration
http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-High-Definition-Benchmark-Blu-ray/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_b

DVE- professional calibration disk, probably the hardest to use but also gives good results.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_c

Disney WOW- and of course Disney WOW Easiest calibration disk. Dont let the disney tag fool you. its a good disk and much easier to use than both S&M and DVE.
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330135357&sr=8-1

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2012 at 09:20 AM by Tavus »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 09:26 AM »

AVS 709- You can get this one free.   AVSForums personal calibration disk, they say this one of the better calibration disk equal to that of Spears and munsil. You have to burn your own copy:

Spears munsil- balanced to ease of use and quality. new one coming out with a sound calibration
http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-High-Definition-Benchmark-Blu-ray/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_b

Disney WOW- and of course Disney WOW Easiest calibration disk. Dont let the disney tag fool you. its a good disk and much easier to use than both S&M and DVE.
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330135357&sr=8-1

I've used all three and I fully recommend them.  WOW is a bit weak on audio but is great for video, specially for those doing it the first time.  Very user-friendly and fun, too. :D

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 09:43 AM »
I've used all three and I fully recommend them.  WOW is a bit weak on audio but is great for video, specially for those doing it the first time.  Very user-friendly and fun, too. :D

noted  ;D
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 478
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM »

If you need the glasses, contact fellow pdvd member oreoshake. Here's the link:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,78853.0.html
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM »
bah... Real calibration involves a trained ISF professional with a Colorimeter (preferrably with Klein: K-10 or high end model) a laptop with professional software, going into the service menu then changing the  internal factory settings and charging an arm and a leg.  ;D

I assume you are joking but actually, I use an i1Pro spectrophotometer with Calman video calibration software and then use the DVDO Iscan Duo to produce the test patterns. I first calibrate the projector using the service menu and then use the DVDO to fine-tune the grayscale, gamma and Color Management System. I also use the Spears & Munsil to double-check the brightness and contrast since it appears to be more accurate. To do a really good calibration, it takes several hours. Unfortunately, most people can't do this.

The simplest is to use the Pixar and THX discs, especially if you already have one. The next is to use the AVS disc.

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:00 PM »
I assume you are joking but actually, I use an i1Pro spectrophotometer with Calman video calibration software and then use the DVDO Iscan Duo to produce the test patterns. I first calibrate the projector using the service menu and then use the DVDO to fine-tune the grayscale, gamma and Color Management System. I also use the Spears & Munsil to double-check the brightness and contrast since it appears to be more accurate. To do a really good calibration, it takes several hours. Unfortunately, most people can't do this.

The simplest is to use the Pixar and THX discs, especially if you already have one. The next is to use the AVS disc.

I jest.
Sweet Jesus those are good calibration tools, especially the calman and the  i1Pro spectrophotometer. this is a decent hobby set considering a Klein k10 cost upwards of P250000! Do you calibrate other peoples TV's?

Offline worldshaking0502

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:11 PM »

well back to topic.
You're not going to get good calibration doing it by eyes, there just too many factors involved. you need a calibration disk. here are a few disk i found on the internet

DVE- professional calibration disk, probably the hardest to use but also gives good results.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_c

Gee! Thanks!

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:22 PM »
If you need the glasses, contact fellow pdvd member oreoshake. Here's the link:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,78853.0.html

Too bad about the glasses.  Sir oreoshake says THX was not responding to emails, so all orders are off.  He's offering refunds to those who paid.

Offline worldshaking0502

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:33 PM »
Too bad about the glasses.  Sir oreoshake says THX was not responding to emails, so all orders are off.  He's offering refunds to those who paid.

Shucks! Hoping a blue cellophane sheet would work as an alternative, but the question is... Would it have the same shade as the THX Shades? Hehehe  ;D

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I'll be getting a Sharp Aquos LC-32LE430m by end of month and I am eager to have it tweaked for movies and PS3 gameplay.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:50 PM by worldshaking0502 »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:51 PM »
I jest.
Sweet Jesus those are good calibration tools, especially the calman and the  i1Pro spectrophotometer. this is a decent hobby set considering a Klein k10 cost upwards of P250000! Do you calibrate other peoples TV's?

I sometimes calibrate projectors of friends. Equipment like the Klein are for pros. For enthusiasts, I don't think it's worth it, considering that after a few weeks, grayscale & gamma change anyhow as the lamp ages.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:54 PM »

Shucks! Hoping a blue cellophane sheet would work as an alternative, but the question is... Would it have the same shade as the THX Shades? Hehehe  ;D

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I'll be getting a Sharp Aquos LC-32LE430m by end of month and I am eager to have it tweaked for movies and PS3 gameplay.

If you buy a Spears & Munsil or Video Essentials disc, you get the blue filter glasses.

Offline worldshaking0502

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 02:56 PM »
If you buy a Spears & Munsil or Video Essentials disc, you get the blue filter glasses.

Not sure if our local stores like infomaxx have these calib discs. *sigh* It would be a good investment.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 03:03 PM »
Not sure if our local stores like infomaxx have these calib discs. *sigh* It would be a good investment.

There are many ways to get copies. Fastest but a little mahal is to buy at Amazon & ship it via Johnny Air Cargo. Lots of people here also accept orders. Why don't you PM anya618?

Offline worldshaking0502

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 03:06 PM »
There are many ways to get copies. Fastest but a little mahal is to buy at Amazon & ship it via Johnny Air Cargo. Lots of people here also accept orders. Why don't you PM anya618?

Don't have a credit card/ paypal for online transactions. Thanks for providing options.

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 05:35 PM »
that will be hard best nalang to find some seller here(preferably someone with high positive rating) who does meet ups then pay him.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 06:23 PM »
libre ba sa samsung ung calibration?
Love me or hate me.....