Author Topic: PIONEER DV600 AV 1080p Upscaler Issues  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
PIONEER DV600 AV 1080p Upscaler Issues
« on: Nov 02, 2007 at 02:08 PM »
Viewing HD content on my PS3 is just phenomenal. In parallel though, I felt a tad sad though given that this would most probably signal the end of DVD's reign and its slow downslide into VHS land just around the corner.

Anyway to make me feel better, I decided to buy the new (and reasonably priced) Samsung DVD 1080p upscaler to hopefully narrow down the gap.  With a full HD panel, HDMI connection and this new dvd upscaler on hand, I reckoned that I should be able to enjoy my DVD's with relatively 'near-enough' qualities vs my blu ray discs.

Well, I just tested it last night and was sadly mistaken.  Upscaling artifacts were all over the place when I tried to view my Transformers DVD (as if it were over-enhanced).  I tried the other HD settings 720p / 1080i and it was no better, still some 'laddering' evident on the edges.  Tried tweaking all of the picture settings in an effort to calibrate the screen properly but in vain.  What I then did was switch back to my good 'ol HTIB (via component cables) and it ran smoother on my panel and arguably better PQ - actually looks HD-esque.

Any comments / suggestions on this issue of mine?  :-\

My player http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/45/64/222/DV-600AV-S/index.html
My panel http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pfl7422_79/37pfl7422_79_pss_aen.pdf

many thanks,
M1

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: PIONEER DV600 AV 1080p Upscaler Issues
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 12:33 AM »
Viewing HD content on my PS3 is just phenomenal. In parallel though, I felt a tad sad though given that this would most probably signal the end of DVD's reign and its slow downslide into VHS land just around the corner.

Anyway to make me feel better, I decided to buy the new (and reasonably priced) Samsung DVD 1080p upscaler to hopefully narrow down the gap.  With a full HD panel, HDMI connection and this new dvd upscaler on hand, I reckoned that I should be able to enjoy my DVD's with relatively 'near-enough' qualities vs my blu ray discs.

Well, I just tested it last night and was sadly mistaken.  Upscaling artifacts were all over the place when I tried to view my Transformers DVD (as if it were over-enhanced).  I tried the other HD settings 720p / 1080i and it was no better, still some 'laddering' evident on the edges.  Tried tweaking all of the picture settings in an effort to calibrate the screen properly but in vain.  What I then did was switch back to my good 'ol HTIB (via component cables) and it ran smoother on my panel and arguably better PQ - actually looks HD-esque.

Any comments / suggestions on this issue of mine?  :-\

My player http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/45/64/222/DV-600AV-S/index.html
My panel http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pfl7422_79/37pfl7422_79_pss_aen.pdf

many thanks,
M1

Bro hindi kaya nagtampo lang yung pioneer player mo kasi tinawag mo syang samsung? ;D joke

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 08:16 AM »
hi, i just want to ask if you compared this using the same tv setting? i think different players will need separate tv settings to adjust with its output.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 09:20 AM »

Bro hindi kaya nagtampo lang yung pioneer player mo kasi tinawag mo syang samsung? ;D joke

korek, baka nga bro  ;D  Sorry about that, I stand corrected.   ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 09:30 AM »
hi, i just want to ask if you compared this using the same tv setting? i think different players will need separate tv settings to adjust with its output.

yes sir I have tried tweaking the settings on both the flat screen panel and the dvd player itself but to no avail.  Was trying to do everything just to smoothen things out (including zeroing out the sharpness settings as advised by some calibration tutorials). La pa rin unfortunately.  My bro-in-law Esi commented that maybe it's the Pixel Plus 3 of my panel which is causing the visual 'artifacts.'  It does sound logical cause it's like upscaling an upscaled signal which may have resulted in the 'over-enhancement.'  Well, that's just one of our hypothesis.  :-\  If i don't get to make this work with my panel do anticipate a discounted 2-day old DV-600 AV in the Marketplace real soon.

Offline pjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • it"s too complicated
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 10:32 PM »
A separate video processor will solve your problem . I tried using an hdmi direct to my projector using 1080i and I get artifacts all over the picture. Then I tried outputting the hdmi 480i to my video scaler and let my video scaler upscale it to 1080i, it will yield a far far better picture quality than the direct dvd to projector set-up  :)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 11:25 AM »
Watch the upscaled video as far far away as possible if you don't want to see artifacts... :D :D :D Once your eyes seen HD, nakikita mo na yung flaws ng DVD, Standard or upscaled.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 08:29 PM »
yes sir I have tried tweaking the settings on both the flat screen panel and the dvd player itself but to no avail.  Was trying to do everything just to smoothen things out (including zeroing out the sharpness settings as advised by some calibration tutorials). La pa rin unfortunately.  My bro-in-law Esi commented that maybe it's the Pixel Plus 3 of my panel which is causing the visual 'artifacts.'  It does sound logical cause it's like upscaling an upscaled signal which may have resulted in the 'over-enhancement.'  Well, that's just one of our hypothesis.  :-\  If i don't get to make this work with my panel do anticipate a discounted 2-day old DV-600 AV in the Marketplace real soon.

can you turn off the pixel plus3 function to check the pq against when its on?
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 04:32 PM »
hmm.. dont believe the hype. i find it rather hard to believe that something encoded in 480p can be outputed better because it uses an upscaler... whether 720p, 1080i or 1080p.???

I bought my 696avs purely due to hdmi connection and dont really expect much out of the upscaler.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 05:48 PM »
It really depends on how good is the de-interlacing and upscaling of your DVD player. In that regard, it seems that Oppo has one of the best. I think the model number is 981, though I may be mistaken.

But as pjohn says, the best solution is to get an external video processor, which will probably cost more than your current display.  ;D

A separate video processor will solve your problem . I tried using an hdmi direct to my projector using 1080i and I get artifacts all over the picture. Then I tried outputting the hdmi 480i to my video scaler and let my video scaler upscale it to 1080i, it will yield a far far better picture quality than the direct dvd to projector set-up  :)

No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline pjohn

• Collector
  • it"s too complicated
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 10:44 PM »

But as pjohn says, the best solution is to get an external video processor, which will probably cost more than your current display.  ;D

True, if you really want a very good PQ , then be ready for the price. Masakit mang sabihin, magastos talaga itong hobby natin.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline IceTea

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2007 at 09:57 AM »

Argh!  Is this true?  :)  I was thinking of taking the upscaling path rather than going HD already, because of the format(HD-dvd vs Bluray) wars.  Hopefully, it's just the setting, because there are numerous owners of pio-600 already, and it's the first time I heard of such a disappointing issue.

BTW, doesn't PS3 have an upscaling feature too? Have you compared it vs Pio-600? 

Good luck.   :)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2007 at 11:45 AM »
Argh!  Is this true?  :)  I was thinking of taking the upscaling path rather than going HD already, because of the format(HD-dvd vs Bluray) wars.  Hopefully, it's just the setting, because there are numerous owners of pio-600 already, and it's the first time I heard of such a disappointing issue.

BTW, doesn't PS3 have an upscaling feature too? Have you compared it vs Pio-600? 

I think it also depends a lot on the player-display combination. I have tried the following combinations and the pq improved a lot with the upscaling from the player:

1) Pio 696 and Sony VPL-VW100 projector (there is no doubt that the de-interlacing and upscaling on the Pio 696 alone, without any external scaler, improved the picture)

2) Sony something player and Hitach 42" plasma tv (again, the de-interlacing and upscaling on the Sony player definitiely improved the picture)

In other words, you have to try it out. It certainly won't equal HD quality nor the quality of an external processor but I found that there was nonetheless quite an improvement, at least on my displays.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2007 at 06:15 PM »

Yup agree with Streetsmart above, this should be judged in a on a case-to-case basis.  I tried the PS3 upscaler on my 61" Samsung DLP and it worked well, even if that set is only HD ready (up to 1080i).  However, I haven't tried the PS3 on my Full HD Philips given that medyo na-trauma nako over-enhancement issues with Philips' Pixel Plus (3) HD combo.

Will try it on my other panels (Samsung LCDs) here and see how it flows.   :)

Offline lashee

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 01:26 AM »
Any updates sir?

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 09:53 PM »
i bought one of this and paired it with my sony bravia klv-32v300a and the outputted video via HDMI cable at 1080p is just phenomenal, i am really happy with my purchase of this player.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:05 AM »
Is the Pio DV600 region free?
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline nibblerizer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 12:30 PM »
Is the Pio DV600 region free?

Yes eventhough the box says region 3. I think pioneer philippines set the units to be regionless when repacking and applying warranty stickers.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:30 PM »
Any updates sir?

sorry, medyo napabayaan ko yung thread, went on a trip.  balikan kita sir when I get to hook it up with my samsungs!  ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:34 PM »
can you turn off the pixel plus3 function to check the pq against when its on?

negative on this (or none that I know of).  You can however view it on "demo" mode where the screen is split in half to see the difference with Pixel Plus on and off.  There is a slight change but doesn't quench my 'over-enhancement' issues.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:38 PM »
Yes eventhough the box says region 3. I think pioneer philippines set the units to be regionless when repacking and applying warranty stickers.

Yes, affirmative on this one. I've played discs with various regions on the DV600.  Tend to agree with your observation above - come to think of it, all of my previous Pio players are actually region-free out of the box.  One of its' key selling points?  :D