Author Topic: Philips Full HD 1080p lcd  (Read 16202 times)

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Philips Full HD 1080p lcd
« on: Nov 02, 2007 at 04:49 PM »
Hi guys. Have you seen the new Philips LCD full HD tvs? I saw the 37" model in abenson. Cost is 89,xxx 12 months to pay. According to the salesman, there is also a 42" model 129,xxx 12-18 months to pay also.

I think these prices are the lowest already for a 2 megapixel lcd tv.

Offline Ripley

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Philips Full HD 1080p lcd
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 10:15 PM »
Saw it 3-weeks ago at Western Mega. Its the 37 or 42PFL7422 model. Its got Full HD panel display20 x 1080p) w/ Pixel Plus HD, 4000:1 contrast, 8ms response time, inputs (2xHDMI, 2xComponent, PC VGA), anti-reflection screen coating...

Offline francis007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 04:34 PM »
i got the 47 inch...very nice

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 05:39 PM »

hi. where were you able to get it? better price than abenson's 199k?

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 07:13 PM »
This is one of the cheaper 1080p LCDs out there.
Hope someone can provide us a detailed reivew of the Philips HD TV.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 10:52 AM »
Hi guys. Have you seen the new Philips LCD full HD tvs? I saw the 37" model in abenson. Cost is 89,xxx 12 months to pay. According to the salesman, there is also a 42" model 129,xxx 12-18 months to pay also.

I think these prices are the lowest already for a 2 megapixel lcd tv.

pretty good, but it's still not the holy grail of lcd tvs. i would rather get a 40 inch plasma if i'm going to spend this much.

Offline lashee

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2007 at 02:36 PM »
37" full hd for 70k, good buy na kaya?
Sana meron sa av stores ng ganitong model, malamang mas mura pa  :)

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 08:38 AM »

How long you've been using it? Any problem experienced so far? Thanks for any info.

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 03:41 PM »
Sir need any feed back on the 37" Full HD Philips (Model 37PFL7422). Wala akong  makitang review. Baka may nakagamit na

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 04:40 PM »
Sir need any feed back on the 37" Full HD Philips (Model 37PFL7422). Wala akong  makitang review. Baka may nakagamit na

Word of advice:
DON'T BUT THIS MODEL!!! 37" FULL HD PHILIPS (37PFL7422).

I purchased one last Xmas, was able to nego it down to a really low price with all the bells & whistles extracted like stand, dvd set etc.  At that time, I didn't know that with this purchase, I just opened up Pandora's box. I have already tried two of these units and they all exhibited similar defects.

The primary issues: Contrast flickering and video 'laddering.'  During dark scenes in movies, the contrast just explodes (dark, white, dark, white). This cycling frenzy will just drive you nuts believe me.  Tried different discs, different players and different connections and the flickering persisted.  I tried the discs on my other HT set-ups and it worked fine.  I kid you not, I tried everything from different combinations of panels (dlp, lcd's), dvd players (upscalers, regular players etc) and connections (hdmi, component, rca) to determine where the error was an it all boiled down to the panel.

I called the Philips hotline to have the panel checked.  After seeing the defect as well (2 technicians visited me at different times), they pulled-out the unit.  After exactly 24 days, they said papalitan na lang ng circuit board.  They ordered the part, tried it on but di rin na-resolve yung issue. Since di nila ma-repair, change unit na lang daw.  I returned the 1st unit and got the new unit at Abensons. Total time of this entire mess (1 month) without a panel. 

Brought home the new unit and SURPRISE SURPRISE... Same issues (*&*$#$(^%$#)&%$#!!!  Tried the different gear permutations as well and I identified the panel to be the culprit again.  Had the Philips (AVS technician) check it again for the nth time and he witnessed the defect and again concurred with my findings. The response of this 10-year Philips / AV tech: "la tayo magagawa dyan sir, baka may nakalimutan ikabit sa loob." Duh???  Our only conclusion: LEMON model. 

Don't get this model - end of story.  I was really attracted by the price (70+k for a FULL HD???), BUT believe me, it's not worth the hidden errors you would soon encounter.  Pixel Plus HD my a**.

Anyway, am now again in the process of debating with Philips Cust Service, and am pushing for a refund already.  No feedback yet but am determined to get my money back cause this is just unacceptable.

BE WARNED GUYS.
When you see the unit below... STAY CLEAR!

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 05:53 PM »
Thank you Marl for the Reply, Attracted also of the price a full HD and at 18 months o%.

If you get a refund or whatever. What will you replace it with? 

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 06:24 PM »
Thank you Marl for the Reply, Attracted also of the price a full HD and at 18 months o%.

If you get a refund or whatever. What will you replace it with? 

Well it's no secret the fastest moving panel in this 'Displays' forum is the Pannie42PV70H  http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=68273.msg775099#msg775099.  I've seen this plasma in action and it's just amazing.  Super clear even with components and regular DVD players (what more if you hook it up via HDMI and use some upscalers).  Two of my bro-in-laws actually ordered a unit each within a coupla weeks time, prodded of course by Esi (of PDVD as well) our in-family expert.  ;)

Just bothered with the 'burn-in' issue with Plasmas.  Esi advised that you break it in 100 hours utilizing the entire screen (i.e. no black bars on top or the bottom), otherwise it MAY be susceptible.  The solution is to zoom it in to remove the black bars OR purchase DVDs with 1:85:1 aspect ratios.  ;D

Anyway, ain't decided yet. I thought Philips was a really solid choice, given the 'ground-breaking' Pixel Plus technology they laid into the A/V scene!  I mean the 1st versions of PP on CRT is just breathtaking.  Unfortunately, with this model, disillusionment has set from my point of view.  I mean I'm sure some of the other Philips LCD models are fine but this PFL47 just makes you wanna &&^*^^$#&$^.  Anyway, just wanted to share this so that our brethren here won't have to go through what I have experienced.  Cheers buddy!  ;)

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 06:45 PM »
Bro, Plasma"s Burn in totoo raw yon. Anyway baka you could get feedback with my other options. The samsung 37R81 or toshiba 37C3500. Thanks again. Sayang dami pa namin features yong philips.

Offline PIKOY

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 07:24 PM »
 ;D

Hi Bros can't help but notice talaga, but once i had the cineos model 32 with ambilight 1080i but again there was defect in the power. Same as our fellow i made a customer service complaint they asked their technician to drop by. But still same banana. Picture was at its superb but power was the only issue. Fortunately the key phrase there is "CONSUMER RIGHTS" medyo ginamit ko po. Then they had it replaced/upgraded. Bro contact mo ko. . . .i could advice you how.

Offline captainbarbell

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 08:23 PM »
I almost end up buying this. The 37 in, you can huggle it at 62k (Cash and mo freebies). If you have a friend or relative working for NXP (formerly Philips semiconductors),maybe you can ask for a favor. Employees are given the privilege to purchase the 32in at 38k whether 12mos installment or cash.

Heat generation, electric consumption, burn etc. issues in Plasma made me decide to choose an Aquos LCD.

Currently happy with my choice..

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 09:49 PM »
Bro, Plasma"s Burn in totoo raw yon. Anyway baka you could get feedback with my other options. The samsung 37R81 or toshiba 37C3500. Thanks again. Sayang dami pa namin features yong philips.

Have had my plasma (Pioneer 428) for 2 months now.  If it has burn-in issues, even temporary ones, I haven't seen it, not a hint in fact. And I'm using it like I would an ordinary CRT TV - black bars, channel logos and all.  Could it be that the latest models have burn-in well and truly licked?  I'd say yes based on my experience thus far.  :) 
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008 at 09:52 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 10:07 PM »
Have had my plasma (Pioneer 428) for 2 months now.  If it has burn-in issues, even temporary ones, I haven't seen it, not a hint in fact. And I'm using it like I would an ordinary CRT TV - black bars, channel logos and all.  Could it be that the latest models have burn-in well and truly licked?  I'd say yes based on my experience thus far.  :) 

Good for you buddy!  ;)  I'm sure case to case din ito and depende on the model (sometimes, similar models may even differ in terms of performance).  Anyway from what I gather, the burn-in issues were the traditional stereotype 'cons' of buying a plasma.  Of course with the tech nowadays, most manufacturers are striving to resolve that issue and have come up with better 2nd/3rd gen models.

Now having said that, if one diverts a couple of months salary into buying a high-investment plasma... then the adage "better be safe than sorry" would somehow still hit home... Hehehe... kanya kanya lang namang diskarte yan.  ;)  There's no doubt in my mind though that plasma can put away this 'baggage' soon.  :)

Back to the Philips LCD, I just wanna make clear that it's just with this particular model I had the bad experience.  Siempre hindi naman dapat lahatin cause it could very well be just a 'lemon' model issue.  Now despite everything that I have said in the post above, I still (somehow) admire Philips for being a key driver for innovation in the industry to further propel it forward.  For instance, the Pixel Plus engine and Ambilight technology are really proprietary strengths that have helped challenge other players to step up and drive things forward.  ;)

Na-tiempo lang talaga ata ako!  :-\  ;)

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 10:09 AM »
Word of advice:
DON'T BUT THIS MODEL!!! 37" FULL HD PHILIPS (37PFL7422).

I purchased one last Xmas, was able to nego it down to a really low price with all the bells & whistles extracted like stand, dvd set etc.  At that time, I didn't know that with this purchase, I just opened up Pandora's box. I have already tried two of these units and they all exhibited similar defects.

The primary issues: Contrast flickering and video 'laddering.'  During dark scenes in movies, the contrast just explodes (dark, white, dark, white). This cycling frenzy will just drive you nuts believe me.  Tried different discs, different players and different connections and the flickering persisted.  I tried the discs on my other HT set-ups and it worked fine.  I kid you not, I tried everything from different combinations of panels (dlp, lcd's), dvd players (upscalers, regular players etc) and connections (hdmi, component, rca) to determine where the error was an it all boiled down to the panel.

I called the Philips hotline to have the panel checked.  After seeing the defect as well (2 technicians visited me at different times), they pulled-out the unit.  After exactly 24 days, they said papalitan na lang ng circuit board.  They ordered the part, tried it on but di rin na-resolve yung issue. Since di nila ma-repair, change unit na lang daw.  I returned the 1st unit and got the new unit at Abensons. Total time of this entire mess (1 month) without a panel. 

Brought home the new unit and SURPRISE SURPRISE... Same issues (*&*$#$(^%$#)&%$#!!!  Tried the different gear permutations as well and I identified the panel to be the culprit again.  Had the Philips (AVS technician) check it again for the nth time and he witnessed the defect and again concurred with my findings. The response of this 10-year Philips / AV tech: "la tayo magagawa dyan sir, baka may nakalimutan ikabit sa loob." Duh???  Our only conclusion: LEMON model. 

Don't get this model - end of story.  I was really attracted by the price (70+k for a FULL HD???), BUT believe me, it's not worth the hidden errors you would soon encounter.  Pixel Plus HD my a**.

Anyway, am now again in the process of debating with Philips Cust Service, and am pushing for a refund already.  No feedback yet but am determined to get my money back cause this is just unacceptable.

BE WARNED GUYS.
When you see the unit below... STAY CLEAR!

If you can't resolve your refund/replacement problem with Philips, report the vendor to the Department of Trade and Industry.  Please read the following excerpt from an article I wrote for my column on MOD Magazine last year:

When purchasing any consumer product such as clothing, medicine, foodstuff, household appliances, personal effects, or even family cars, a wise buyer must thoroughly check the items he intends to purchase before buying them.  Equally important, the buyer must likewise ascertain from the vendor whether or not the thing to be purchased is covered by any warranty from the item’s manufacturer, distributor, or importer (“MDI”).  In such a case, the buyer must carefully read the MDI’s printed warranty first before deciding on any purchase.  If the warranty terms and duration are acceptable, the buyer must submit the duly-accomplished warranty card to the vendor immediately after the purchase and then keep the original receipt and his copy of the vendor-acknowledged warranty card for possible warranty claims.  If the product warranty is extended by the vendor and not the MDI, the buyer should make sure that the terms and duration of such store warranty are clearly printed, signed and dated on the official receipt itself.  In the proper cases and unless the contract of sale provides otherwise, a consumer product which is not covered by any express warranty may still be covered by an implied warranty against hidden faults or defects.  However, this implied warranty against hidden faults or defects would not hold a vendor liable for patent defects (defects which are visible) nor for non-apparent defects if the buyer is an expert who, by reason of his trade or profession, should have known them.  In any event, it would be wise to steer clear of establishments which sell supposedly brand new items without any express warranty.  Remember, caveat emptor.

To enforce his rights under an express warranty, the buyer need only present to the vendor either the warranty card or the official receipt along with the product to be serviced or returned. No other documentary requirement may be demanded from the buyer. If the product was purchased directly from an MDI, the warranty shall immediately be honored by the said MDI. If the product was purchased from a non-MDI vendor, the said vendor shall be responsible for presenting the buyer’s warranty claim to the MDI concerned without cost to the buyer.  Should the MDI fail or refuse to honor the warranty, the vendor is obligated to shoulder the expenses and costs necessary to honor the warranty.  Thereafter, the vendor may recover such expenses and costs from the non-complying MDI.

Any person who feels aggrieved in connection with his purchase of a consumer product may file a consumer complaint with the nearest Regional Office of the DTI.  The consumer complaint will then be assigned to a Consumer Arbitration Officer who is authorized by law to mediate, conciliate, hear and decide consumer complaints.

;D

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 10:15 AM »
Sir Marl, I also got the LCD TV 2 weeks ago, I had it wall mounted. Yes i agree the set is generally good except for the fault you noticed. Its the better one at the appliance store when i auditioned it. The glass are hard, the black are good, specially the whites they are superb and the skin tone (One of my own prioreties in choosing a TV)  are excellent (Not red or orange). Anyway, my son was the first to notice the fault. He asked me why it goes dark in a scene for about a second or 2, then goes back to its norm with its good dark and white scene. My rational explanation (to my son a techie also) was probably the hardware or the software trying to look for the best reso or setting.

I posted, to find out if it also happens to other set like mine. Read your reply and experimented with it last night, played original copy of Alien vs Predator, Da Vince Code and Daredevil, lot of dark scene agree. Yes there was the culprit. I notice it from a lighted scene to a sudden change of scene to something dark. (Example a man walking to a hallway entering a dark room).

Will they refund? inform me please.

If its really a LEMON could with just ask to replace it to their other model? The 9 something series probably or is this another LEMON.

I bought this TV with hard earned money.

Pikoy could you help us? Thank you

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 10:46 AM »
Sir Tetablanco, Is our complain valid for a replacement or refund?

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
Sir Marl, I also got the LCD TV 2 weeks ago, I had it wall mounted. Yes i agree the set is generally good except for the fault you noticed. Its the better one at the appliance store when i auditioned it. The glass are hard, the black are good, specially the whites they are superb and the skin tone (One of my own prioreties in choosing a TV)  are excellent (Not red or orange). Anyway, my son was the first to notice the fault. He asked me why it goes dark in a scene for about a second or 2, then goes back to its norm with its good dark and white scene. My rational explanation (to my son a techie also) was probably the hardware or the software trying to look for the best reso or setting.

I posted, to find out if it also happens to other set like mine. Read your reply and experimented with it last night, played original copy of Alien vs Predator, Da Vince Code and Daredevil, lot of dark scene agree. Yes there was the culprit. I notice it from a lighted scene to a sudden change of scene to something dark. (Example a man walking to a hallway entering a dark room).

Will they refund? inform me please.

If its really a LEMON could with just ask to replace it to their other model? The 9 something series probably or is this another LEMON.

I bought this TV with hard earned money.

Pikoy could you help us? Thank you

Wow, I feel a tad better cause may 'karamay' pala ako.  From the symptoms you mentioned, am sure we have the same issues.  Again it's most evident in dark scenes - as if the contrast just goes haywire for a bit.  It's just 2-0 but the more people who confirm this, the better ground we'll have for not just a refund, but a Product Recall even. 

Got tired of the runabouts so I just directly phoned Philips' head of Consumer Care - she was very accommodating naman. Offhand, she mentioned that the PFL line is one of their top-of-the-line models (and no complaints received yet) but she agreed to send an in-house Philips Technician to personally check out my panel.  Balikan kita bro on the results.  PM me your contact details as well so that I can cite your case as a reference, maybe we can gain some momentum.

Ciao!  ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 10:09 PM »

Additional info lang before we close this OT topic, there's a rich discussion on AVS on this Burn-In* and Image Retention** (IR) squabble and seems like everybody wants to play it safe still despite the advancement in technology.  If you may want to check out the other views, click HERE.

*Burn-In: This is uneven phosphor aging caused by keeping portions of the screen at high brightness for extended periods of time. Burn-in in general is not "temporary" and is considered physical damage to the phosphor itself. Thankfully, it is extremely hard to burn in a modern plasma display (equal to CRT burn-in resistance) and should not be an issue.

**Image retention: This is caused by a change in the residual charge left in the plasma cell after extended periods of low or high brightness relative to other cells. The technical reason is that the cell efficiency changes with overuse by increasing the probability of discharge relative to other less used cells. This will leave a temporary ghost image that can be removed by using a full white screen that over time will equalize the wall charge in all cells.

Okay to get back to topic, this probably one reason why LCDs may be considered a worthy option as compared to Plasma.  If I may quote one of the members in AVS who's a plasma owner, he said "...since I've bought my plasma I've noticed obnoxious logos and tickers on the majority of shows I watch, and that's not even counting actual news stations. The constant worry in the back of my mind about burn-in is often so distracting, I'm beginning to wish I'd just saved a few more bucks and gone with LCD. I bought into plasma because of the great contrast and the cheaper price... I knew about the dangers and higher maintenance of plasma but I never quite realized how much of a headache it would be until I actually owned one."

Of course this is just one perspective (not necessarily true), Plasmas have a number of upsides as well (superlative blacks and contrast being top of mind), so best you check out the 'Plasma Thread' here in PDVD.  ;D  Meantime if you are considering an LCD panel, and have decided to go with Philips, my only advice is to just skip the model I mentioned above (37" PFL), and audition carefully please using movies with dark scenes.  ;)

The 47" PFL is actually getting raves in AVS (LINK HERE) so the ranting above was specifically for the 37" model okay?  ;)

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 at 10:14 PM by Marl_1 »

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 11:04 PM »
I commiserate with you man.  Before I went for plasma I actually contemplated a larger version of the model you got. The showroom performance was really stunning plus you get 1080p bragging rights at an affordable price.  But alas, di siya matunog among the more reputable review sites I frequented so I skipped.   
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline tetablanco

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 11:48 PM »
Sir Tetablanco, Is our complain valid for a replacement or refund?

Make sure you go for the warranty first.  If, as in the case of Marl_1, the problem recurs or repeats itself despite the replacement or repair done by the manufacturer/distributor/importer on the warranty claim, you can then demand the refund of your money.  If the MDI refuses, file a complaint against the MDI with the nearest Regional Office of the DTI (I think it's located at Sagittarius Tower along H V De la Costa Street in Salcedo Village, Makati).  While you'll have a stronger chance of proving that the product is a LEMON if there is more than complainant with the same problem, there is no problem with you complaining with DTI on your own.  At the hearing before the DTI hearing officer, the MDI would then be more inclined to grant your request for a refund.   

Offline css

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 02:44 AM »
I'm new here po.

anyway, na alarm lang ako kasi i just bought (Jan 18) this model - 37PFL7422 
and haven't tried watching dvd from this unit. medyo busy kasi. 2 kids ko lang ang laging nanonood ng cable (cartoons). what i noticed is pag ni plug ko yung unit is nag spark sya lagi. is this normal?

i will also try watching dvd and see kung ganito din yung unit ko. will give feedback after weekend. Thanks...

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 10:27 AM »
Make sure you go for the warranty first.  If, as in the case of Marl_1, the problem recurs or repeats itself despite the replacement or repair done by the manufacturer/distributor/importer on the warranty claim, you can then demand the refund of your money.  If the MDI refuses, file a complaint against the MDI with the nearest Regional Office of the DTI (I think it's located at Sagittarius Tower along H V De la Costa Street in Salcedo Village, Makati).  While you'll have a stronger chance of proving that the product is a LEMON if there is more than complainant with the same problem, there is no problem with you complaining with DTI on your own.  At the hearing before the DTI hearing officer, the MDI would then be more inclined to grant your request for a refund.   

Thanks for the advice tetablanco.  As of now, the philips in-house engineer will go to my house this monday evening to check it out (kasama yung customer care supervisor this time around).  I really hope my complaint gets traction this time around.  If it doesn't, then will have to take more aggressive actions like the one you suggested.

Many thanks,
M1

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM »
I'm new here po.

anyway, na alarm lang ako kasi i just bought (Jan 18) this model - 37PFL7422 
and haven't tried watching dvd from this unit. medyo busy kasi. 2 kids ko lang ang laging nanonood ng cable (cartoons). what i noticed is pag ni plug ko yung unit is nag spark sya lagi. is this normal?

i will also try watching dvd and see kung ganito din yung unit ko. will give feedback after weekend. Thanks...

Honestly, I wish you were able to read this thread before buying it yesterday (was really tempting though I understand - a Full HD at ~70k only).
On your spark issue, shouldn't be the case but I guess it's just a matter of checking your connections be it to the outlet or if you're using extension cords.  It would be wise to have an AVR or surge protector as well for this new investment of yours.

Anyway on your DVD trial, try to view titles with dark scenes or dark transitioning into light colored scenes.  One sure-ball scene which would expose the defect (if your set likewise has it), is to check out the beginning of the movie where the artists and titles are shown.  It normally has white text dissolving in/out amidst a black background. This should make the contrast flicker evident.

I don't know what your interconnect is, but it wouldn't matter bro.  I tried this on hdmi, components and RCA and I still got the contrast-flicker.  Again if you use your panel for TV predominantly then it wouldn't be evident, am sure you or your kids won't even notice it.  BUT if you're an HT enthusiast who's concerned with certain details already, I suggest you source some 'dark-scened' titles today buddy.  ;)

Offline tetablanco

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice tetablanco.  As of now, the philips in-house engineer will go to my house this monday evening to check it out (kasama yung customer care supervisor this time around).  I really hope my complaint gets traction this time around.  If it doesn't, then will have to take more aggressive actions like the one you suggested.

Many thanks,
M1

You have to hint about possible DTI recourse when the Philips people come over.  They have to know you mean business. 

In any event, it won't cost you a dime to file a complaint with the DTI.  Just time and effort.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 10:47 AM »
marl,

i just want to express my support to your plight, i too went through the same agonizing pain in dealing with a problematic LCD panel before i switched to a plasma.

continue mo lang at im sure you will be vindicated in the end, i purchased with abensons' sis company avant and they handled my problem a lot better than the manufacturer/dealer i was dealing with initially. it took them 1 week to conclude a 3month saga with the dealer, then another week for us to choose and deliver our replacement panel.

re plasma burn-in, we have been using my pio for like an average of at the very least 10 hours a day, she plays dvd with what ever the aspect ration the disc comes with (so mostly with black bars) she watches tv on it with all the station id/logo on long teleserye series, end result on image retention......none. since my 1 year warranty is about to expire, lately i have been testing (playing full white screen on it and other scenes im very familiar with) and searching for any defects so i can claim on it, so far wala pa din. Did i do a break-in? No, i just had it ISF calibrated 1 week after delivery and thats it.  If you're into gaming and dont plan to do 24hour marathons, just casual playing for 2-4hours straight, i dont think it will put IR on any 7th gen and newer panels of a top rate plasma manufacturer.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 11:03 AM »
ang alam ko problematic talaga ang  lahat ng philip's tv product
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008 at 11:05 AM by tambutsoo »