Author Topic: Philips Pixel Plus  (Read 54963 times)

Offline jpadua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Philips Pixel Plus
« Reply #150 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 01:36 PM »
JackRyan,

Yes I am.  Thanks for your thoughts. Only drawback to XBR is that there seems to be no matching stand available in the market right now.

Pixelplus ka na! give in to the Dark Side hehehe  
Jay - Pixelplus Addict

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #151 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 02:45 PM »
Aha... so I know you siguro ! ;-)

Kamusta na lang sa lawyer wifey mo... I am sure you can convince her being one yourself... you can use me and jay for witness in support of your upcoming addiction.

Btw, hanap pa ako buyer ng Sony RPTV ko para maging Pixel addict na rin ako na certified...

::)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 03:07 PM »
Aha... so I know you siguro ! ;-)

Kamusta na lang sa lawyer wifey mo... I am sure you can convince her being one yourself... you can use me and jay for witness in support of your upcoming addiction.

Btw, hanap pa ako buyer ng Sony RPTV ko para maging Pixel addict na rin ako na certified...

::)

JackRyan... right you are! give in to the Darkside!
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2003 at 03:45 PM by jpadua »

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 03:34 PM »
dayday,

by any chance you belong to the serapio, medieldea, de borja law firm? think i've heard of a lawyer named dayday from that firm :)

anyway. did you decide to get the pixel plus or xbr? xbr 36" is going for P130K at listening room btw

Offline dayday

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 06:22 PM »
JackRyan,

I will use you as a vital witness.  Will try to find a buyer for your RPTV.  PM me your price please.

By the way, can you help me install a LAN in my office?

Is there a 36" Pixel Plus? If so, can you buy one here?

BunkieBoy

Yes I did use to work for that Firm.  Anyway, did see the XBR-800 over at Listening in Style. Only reason why I am more interested in it right now that the Pixel Plus is the size. Hope that  I can a source for the matching stand (SU-36XBR8).
PT-AE8000, Marantz7702, Samsung7500, N9000ESx2, AMC 2N100-5, CP-6311, X-616, S-520x4, Concept Subx2

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 07:05 PM »
Suggest ko lang go for a wireless LAN na lang... I'll pm you my price for the RPTV.

As for the Pixel, I think locally 34" lang... I am waiting for the next model release... baka by December andito na yun... right now... naka-post na sa Philips website eh.

Offline wReTcHeD

• Apprentice
  • nothn ryt n my lft brain, nothn lft n my ryt brain
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Aug 12, 2003 at 02:59 PM »
Jack Ryan,

can you pm me the price, too  :)

thnx much..

Offline miroku

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 01:28 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm glad I found this board. I just bought a Pixel Plus myself. It will be delivered this Saturday. The free HTIB that came with it is an LX2000D. But I saw the LX3700D and it has Pro Logic II, which I need for my PS2 and GameCube. I've decided to upgrade (with additional charge), but is the LX2000D good or better in sounds? The guy was telling me it is bec. of the active sub, coz 3700 only has passive. Can anyone help me out if I should shell out P2000 for the upgrade (i haven't paid the add'l yet, upon delivery na yun) mainly for my gaming need or to simply stick with the free LX2000D. And am I being duped by the sales guy since he originally told me na 1000 lang ang add'l? Then when I came to buy, he increased it to 2000, yun daw ang gusto ng Philips. Does anyone know how much LX2000D is?

Thanks in advanced!

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 02:03 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm glad I found this board. I just bought a Pixel Plus myself. It will be delivered this Saturday. The free HTIB that came with it is an LX2000D. But I saw the LX3700D and it has Pro Logic II, which I need for my PS2 and GameCube. I've decided to upgrade (with additional charge), but is the LX2000D good or better in sounds? The guy was telling me it is bec. of the active sub, coz 3700 only has passive. Can anyone help me out if I should shell out P2000 for the upgrade (i haven't paid the add'l yet, upon delivery na yun) mainly for my gaming need or to simply stick with the free LX2000D. And am I being duped by the sales guy since he originally told me na 1000 lang ang add'l? Then when I came to buy, he increased it to 2000, yun daw ang gusto ng Philips. Does anyone know how much LX2000D is?

Thanks in advanced!

Hi Miroku, welcome to Pinoy DVD! I think my very first post was also here in the pixelplus thread.  I own one too, but its only 29"  the HTIB that came with it isnt progressive scan but I believe it was worth 19,000.  Kasi I checked the store if they sold it separately and the list price was 19,000.  I dont know if it's the same as the LX2000D.

Offline miroku

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Aug 17, 2003 at 12:36 PM »
Hi jpadua,

Thanks for the welcome. I actually called up some of the store's branches and other stores and the price I got of 2000d is only 1,000 less than lx3700d. So i informed the sales guy about it, and finally, he agreed to let me have the upgrade without paying any cent! that's great considering it has full range speakers compared to 2000d's satellites. BTW, I also have a 29". That's big enough for my room.  :)

I'm currently enjoying Pixel Plus. It's incredible when you watch DVD, but for cable, there are some channels that have terrible colors and some noise (probably the Pixel Plus made the noise more obvious since it makes the picture sharper?) Nonetheless, I am happy with it. The lx3700d home theater cranks out average to above average sounds (DTS is still best). But still, it was free and you can't expect any super powerful performance from an HTIB.

I highly recommend Pixel Plus if you watch a lot of DVD's. You won't want to watch movies ever again. I plan to skip Pirates of the Caribbean and wait for the DVD to come out! Hehe!  ;D

Offline Furry

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 10:35 AM »
Jpadua and the rest of pixelplus fanatics :D i'm not sure if this question has been asked before.. which is better: Progressive scan mode or Pixel plus? Can you do both at the same time?

Are there cable requirements to maximize the feature of pixel plus or pscan such as Component or S-Video cables?

I have been converted now from a Sony DRC fan to a PixelPlus  ;D

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 10:55 AM »
Jpadua and the rest of pixelplus fanatics :D i'm not sure if this question has been asked before.. which is better: Progressive scan mode or Pixel plus? Can you do both at the same time?

Are there cable requirements to maximize the feature of pixel plus or pscan such as Component or S-Video cables?

Before anything else, I just saw a 36" Pixelplus widescreen CRT in Ansons Alabang for 199K tulo laway ko!!!!! arrrgh anywayz.,.. to the question

I assume you are talking about the Digital Feature of the pixel plus (progressive scan/Pixelplus).

first of best cable to use would be component.
next its a matter of taste, to use progressive or pixelplus.

Progressive just makes any analog signal into progressive.  You still have the same film like quality.

Pixelplus, Doubles the resolution, and adds Digital Natural Motion which in effect makes any analog siglanl look like video at 30 frames per second.. you lose the film style... if you watch a DVD film, it would look like watching from a DV cam.

So like I said its a matter of taste lang.. if you want to see it the way the director intended then progressive is ok.  If you want to view it a whole different way.. then use Pixelplus.  You can switch naman anytime. :)

Hope this helps

Jpaaaaduaaaah

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 11:33 AM »

Hi, that was my concern too when I got myself the Philips Pixel Plus TV.  As JPadua explains, when watching DVDs on this TV you can only choose one of the feature either you see it with the progressive scan feature or Pixel Plus Mode with DNM.

In my case I prefer watching DVDs in Pixel Plus mode because that's the whole point why I bought this TV in the first place and it is what caught my attention when I was window shopping.  The coolest feature of the Pixel Plus is the Digital Natural Motion at first it will give you that feeling of watching videos instead of movies but you'll love it and appreciate it way before the movie ends believe me.

Hope you will enjoy your new set as we did.  This TV really make me a believer in Phillips TV.  Like you I was planning on getting the Sony DRC TV but as soon as I saw Philips Pixel Plus quality I forgot about Sony instantly.

One more thing the preset video adjustment sucks personalize them maybe try to stay close to the middle of the contrast, bright and color it works best for me and minimize the active control, just a suggestion.

;)

Offline miroku

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 02:29 PM »
I'm one of those Pixel Plus fanatics.  :) You can only choose between progressive and pixel plus, and both cannot be turned off nor can they be used at the same time. When watching Cable TV I use Pixel Plus as the Progressive mode give certain images some jagged edges (aliasing problems). The drawback is if there's any degradation in signal (i.e. during heavy rains), the noise or "snow" also becomes more obvious. Pixel Plus presents everything clearer, it makes you see objects (including noise) that are otherwise not visible on ordinary TV.

As I learned from Pixel Plus guru jpadua, and testing it for myself, using component cable with Pixel Plus mode is still better than using composite (RCA) cable with Pixel Plus (even if the TV can turn the latter's signal into progressive).

Is you use component cable for your player, connecting it to the 480 interlaced input (AV1) will only allow you to use the TV's internal digital processor (Pixel Plus or Progressive). The Pixel Plus gives the picture a digital look, like a digital home video, that seems almost 3D. Some purists don't like this as it removes the video's film-like quality.

If you have a progressive player, try using the player's progressive feature and connect the component cable into AV3 or AV4 (480p). This bypasses the TV's scaler. It does look more natural, but during special effects like fire, I can't get the same ooomph as Pixel Plus.

Try to experiment, even try connecting your PC to the vga port just to see what this baby can do. As for the picture and sound adjustments, I agree with Big Boy, try configuring your own. I never liked any of the preset ones. Besides, this will give you ideas on how to tinker with the TV according to your taste.

That's it, now enjoy Pixel Plus!  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2003 at 02:36 PM by miroku »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 03:07 PM »
I'm one of those Pixel Plus fanatics.  :) You can only choose between progressive and pixel plus, and both cannot be turned off nor can they be used at the same time. When watching Cable TV I use Pixel Plus as the Progressive mode give certain images some jagged edges (aliasing problems). The drawback is if there's any degradation in signal (i.e. during heavy rains), the noise or "snow" also becomes more obvious. Pixel Plus presents everything clearer, it makes you see objects (including noise) that are otherwise not visible on ordinary TV.

As I learned from Pixel Plus guru jpadua, and testing it for myself, using component cable with Pixel Plus mode is still better than using composite (RCA) cable with Pixel Plus (even if the TV can turn the latter's signal into progressive).

Is you use component cable for your player, connecting it to the 480 interlaced input (AV1) will only allow you to use the TV's internal digital processor (Pixel Plus or Progressive). The Pixel Plus gives the picture a digital look, like a digital home video, that seems almost 3D. Some purists don't like this as it removes the video's film-like quality.

If you have a progressive player, try using the player's progressive feature and connect the component cable into AV3 or AV4 (480p). This bypasses the TV's scaler. It does look more natural, but during special effects like fire, I can't get the same ooomph as Pixel Plus.

Try to experiment, even try connecting your PC to the vga port just to see what this baby can do. As for the picture and sound adjustments, I agree with Big Boy, try configuring your own. I never liked any of the preset ones. Besides, this will give you ideas on how to tinker with the TV according to your taste.

That's it, now enjoy Pixel Plus!  :)

I personally have both options open 2 me, If I want the best DVD picture and quality, I use the HTPC connected via VGA.  Sometimes I feel that I want to watch the Movie differently (DNM) then I use my regular DVD player hooked up through Component.  Right now I'm playing with a new toy, I have a new Asus TV card with the latest Philips TV Decoder Chip.  Now I'm watching cable through, VGA using the HTPC as a scaler (bypassing the TV's internal scaler again).  I have a much sharper picture watching TV. Cinemax is so clear almost like watching a DVD... native 720x480 scaled to 1280x1024i  sweet!

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 05:42 PM »
darn good :) thank you all! Pixelplus DNM is really a whole new way of watching DVDs.. it feels like you are inside the film itself.. or like jpadua said, you are watching from a DVCAM.. it's unbelievable! Planning to buy one pa lang this Christmas :) ipon muna ako.. thanks for all the inputs guys.. i'll be ready when i have the unit. (sana hindi maubos by that time).. heheheh :)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Sep 16, 2003 at 10:04 AM »
darn good :) thank you all! Pixelplus DNM is really a whole new way of watching DVDs.. it feels like you are inside the film itself.. or like jpadua said, you are watching from a DVCAM.. it's unbelievable! Planning to buy one pa lang this Christmas :) ipon muna ako.. thanks for all the inputs guys.. i'll be ready when i have the unit. (sana hindi maubos by that time).. heheheh :)

Hintay intay ka lang, I heard na may bagong pixelplus na lalabas which suposedly improves on the current pixel plus... I think its called the pixel plus 2 or something.  I'm sure thats probably another gian leap for the pixelplus technology.  

I just saw a 36" widescreen pixel plus! yun talaga naglalaway ako!!!! pero sasakit ulo mo sa presyo 200k!!! omy gad!!! Halos Plasma na yung presyo.. pero of course Id still get this over a plasma... Kung kaya mong pag ipunan ang 200k heheheh mag 16:9 pixel plus ka na! heheheheh don't we all wish we could!

Offline miroku

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Sep 16, 2003 at 12:22 PM »
Hi Jpadua,

Would you know if the 32" Widescreen Pixel Plus is also available? 'Cause when I bought mine, I asked if there will be a widescreen and the saleman told me that a 32" will be available at around 150-160K. A friend of mine is interested after seeing the quality of my TV, but he wants widescreen na hindi kasing mahal ng 36" widescreen you mentioned. For 200K, I'd definitely go Plasma.  ;)

As for Pixel Plus 2, I read that they plan to introduce it next year, most probably mid next year the earliest. I would assume that this time, it will not be HDTV-ready, but it will already have an HDTV tuner built in. As for quality it's just hard to imagine how they're gonna top the current gen. An ability to remove artifacting on older movie would be nice. :D Sana hindi ako magsisi na hindi ako naghintay.  ;D

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Sep 17, 2003 at 07:26 AM »
Nakita ko kahapon tong 36" widescreen sa ATC....at naka 0% interest installment pa for BPI, Citibank etc....KAINIS!!!...la rin sagad na cards ko eh.....sana hanggang December tong promo
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Sep 17, 2003 at 01:31 PM »
Nakita ko kahapon tong 36" widescreen sa ATC....at naka 0% interest installment pa for BPI, Citibank etc....KAINIS!!!...la rin sagad na cards ko eh.....sana hanggang December tong promo

Yup Tulo Laway Ko! its 198k! mahal! but you should also checkout the Samsung DLP RPTV  hayop its 199k pero 60" Widescreen, picture quality is excellent and its really slim for an RPTV about a foot wide. Has DVI and VGA.  And very clear in various viewing angles.  I'd get this over a plasma any day.

Offline Thames

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Sep 17, 2003 at 02:15 PM »
OT ang question ko sa thread.  Bakit sa sm appliance center (powerplant) 240k ang 61" na samsung dlp, tapos yung 50" is 199k or 200k.  Lahat 0% interest for 12months.  Or you are referring to 50" not the 61" or talagang mas mura lang dyan sa tinignan mo.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Sep 17, 2003 at 02:46 PM »
OT ang question ko sa thread.  Bakit sa sm appliance center (powerplant) 240k ang 61" na samsung dlp, tapos yung 50" is 199k or 200k.  Lahat 0% interest for 12months.  Or you are referring to 50" not the 61" or talagang mas mura lang dyan sa tinignan mo.

oops my bad! tama ka its the 50"

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Sep 18, 2003 at 12:29 PM »
How much is cheapest pixelplus 29" out in the market?  exclusive of home theater packages.. tv only.. thanks!

Offline boks

• Collector
  • DIE HARD
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Sep 30, 2003 at 11:48 PM »
How much is cheapest pixelplus 29" out in the market?  exclusive of home theater packages.. tv only.. thanks!

Try & check out the jbl dealer in sm ne cyberzone. I think they are offering the 29" pixel plus for only 75k cash. I already ordered a unit & am quite excited to receive it na tomorrow!  ;D

I opted to buy a 29" set at Abensons bec. of the ff:
1. free Phlips HTIB  8)
2. free Philips matching TV Stand (had to haggle on this one)  8)
3. 0% interest @ 12 months for Citibank  8)
4. extended 2 year warranty on top of the first year (additional P3,995 ata) 8)
5. excellent customer service pa!  8)

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Oct 01, 2003 at 09:51 PM »
welcome to the pixelplus club, BOKS :D

Offline boks

• Collector
  • DIE HARD
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 01:05 AM »
welcome to the pixelplus club, BOKS :D

Thanks Yrneh ano ba priveleges natin sa club? hehe  ;)  ;D  8)

Philips 29" Pixel Plus (29PT9420)

Anyway, I'd just like to share with you my first experience with this set. The moment the unit arrived, I installed the stand & mounted the set right away! Can't contain my excitement talaga hehe.  ;D  Was really worth the wait! The following day an installer from Philips came by to check the unit. To his surprise everything was set up na (channels, picture & sound)! I just asked the guy to adjust the internal picture settings (v&h-shift, parabola, etc.) using the service mode but he had no idea what I was talking about. I displayed some test patterns from S&V Home Theater Tune-Up and he was like DUHHHH!  :o ??? ::) :-[  He had to call his supervisor & the guy even thought that I was a technician & that I inadvertently misaligned the set! After talking with the guy, he promised to send another personnel the following day pa. I was actually hesitant to play around with the service mode, although the settings were already posted by jpadua, before an installer showed me how & what to adjust to get the "more accurate" & aligned picture.

After successfully aligning the set, I had no further reason to complain. The whole picture perfectly fits into the entire screen with the test patterns I used. The picture is indeed very sharp & movements are very "life-like". :o  The only problem now is that the matching TV stand is quite low from my viewing position so am still planning to buy a separate platform to place the whole set-up on to increase its height.  :-\

BTW, I have a few questions or clarifications and included some of my observations as well for my fellow Pixel Plus owners. Would really appreciate your feedback guys.  ;)

1. Tried to connect my laptop to my set using a VGA connector cable & noticed that the set can only receive a resolution of 640x480 only. Aside from this, the picture looked like it was in widescreen mode (didn't occupy the whole screen vertically). Is this really the case or should I adjust or program something pa?

2. Do you prefer turning on the DNR, Active Control, Active Contrast & Color Enhancement modes? I opted to turn-on only DNR & Color Enhance coz I noticed some improvements on picture quality but ain't I distorting the picture somehow? Active Controls seem unstable & confusing.

3. I also turn-on the Antenna Attenuator to decrease noise & overlapping caused by strong signals between two channels.

4. I set the Picture Format to 4:3 (LB) coz the picture looks more natural this way.

5. Lastly, here are my picture settings calibrated using S&V. Try & see if this works for you too.
Contrast - 45
Brightness - 55
Color - 50
Sharpness - 3
Hue - 0
Tint - Normal

8)  Come & enjoy the Pixel Plus experience!  8)
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2003 at 12:36 PM by ßÖK§ »

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 04:58 AM »
oops my bad! tama ka its the 50"

Jay,

I am a real DNM fan.

However, I seem to be more being sucked into the Samsung DLP tunnel... I wonder why?

I guess, the article I read that Philips, will be doing OEM type arrangement to license the DNM engine to third-party gives me hope that next time, it will no longer be the TV monitor to provide DNM functionality but any other dvd player or conversion box :-)

Okay, please give me a sanity check why I wouldn't go for a Samsung DLP which is also widescreen btw. Except for the DNM / Pixelview functionality that it lacks and have to concede that one to Philips, the price of the 36" WS Philips Pixel model is almost the price of a 50" Samsung unit that I found, got an additional 20k discount if you pay cash right away.

Am I nuts? Anyway, on the brighter side, I got another PC to use dedicatedly for a HTPC engine.

One I settle in my new job and find more time to have spend on leisure entertainment, I'll work on this.

I am going to place my order this week and I am having 2nd thoughts... it's like getting married and last minute this other prospective wifey material comes along :-)

-jackryan 8)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 01:52 PM »
Thanks Yrneh ano ba priveleges natin sa club? hehe  ;)  ;D  8)

Philips 29" Pixel Plus (29PT9420)

2. Do you prefer turning on the DNR, Active Control, Active Contrast & Color Enhancement modes? I opted to turn-on only DNR & Color Enhance coz I noticed some improvements on picture quality but ain't I distorting the picture somehow? Active Controls seem unstable & confusing.

3. I also turn-on the Antenna Attenuator to decrease noise & overlapping caused by strong signals between two channels.

4. I set the Picture Format to 4:3 (LB) coz the picture looks more natural this way.

5. Lastly, here are my picture settings calibrated using S&V. Try & see if this works for you too.
Contrast - 45
Brightness - 55
Color - 50
Sharpness - 3
Hue - 0
Tint - Normal

8)  Come & enjoy the Pixel Plus experience!  8)

I agree with you with the active control settings.  I also turn mine to its minimum setting, medyo unstable kasi pag nasa medium paiba-iba yung brightness and color kakailang.

Also use the Antenna Attenuator its really a big help it improve the signal significantly specially HBO's.

I tried your picture setting medyo masyadong maliwanag for my taste, here's my setting baka mas ok ito if you try them.  ;D

Contrast - 47
Brightness - 42
Color - 45
Sharpness - 4
Hue - 0
Tint - Normal
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2003 at 01:53 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Oct 06, 2003 at 08:28 AM »
Jay,

I am a real DNM fan.

However, I seem to be more being sucked into the Samsung DLP tunnel... I wonder why?

I guess, the article I read that Philips, will be doing OEM type arrangement to license the DNM engine to third-party gives me hope that next time, it will no longer be the TV monitor to provide DNM functionality but any other dvd player or conversion box :-)

Okay, please give me a sanity check why I wouldn't go for a Samsung DLP which is also widescreen btw. Except for the DNM / Pixelview functionality that it lacks and have to concede that one to Philips, the price of the 36" WS Philips Pixel model is almost the price of a 50" Samsung unit that I found, got an additional 20k discount if you pay cash right away.

Am I nuts? Anyway, on the brighter side, I got another PC to use dedicatedly for a HTPC engine.

One I settle in my new job and find more time to have spend on leisure entertainment, I'll work on this.

I am going to place my order this week and I am having 2nd thoughts... it's like getting married and last minute this other prospective wifey material comes along :-)

-jackryan 8)
I know what you mean, I'm a pixelplus fanatic as you well know.. but judging on price and screensize... the Samsung DLP might be a better alternative than having DNM in 36" inches.  Besides, I watch DVDs using the HTPC meaning I dont have DNM turned on, DNM is a cool feature.. but I go for resolution and better PQ so I opt for the VGA connection (which doesnt have DNM).

The samsung is a great buy if you ask me, 50" very slim and light, in my opinion it has better PQ than a plasma.  Its HD up to 720p, but can do 1280x1024 computer resolution (which means you can tweek this via powerstrip to get 1440x1024p--just a theory) Very clear at most viewing angles.  Id say this is perfect for an HTPC Monitor. Price range is adequate considering its features.  

Naku Jackryan! did I give you more of a headache!??! but seriously... If I had that same choice... I'd go samsung DLP 5stars din siya in some review I read.  It's the closest you'll get to plasma looking PQ even better.  Most importantly you get 50" of pure widescreen.  at 720p HD res, you'll get the best picture quality with an HTPC.  Maiinggit talaga ako!!!! I'll be the first volunteer to tweek your HTPC if you get that samsung!!! :D

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2003 at 08:32 AM by jpadua »

Offline dayday

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Oct 06, 2003 at 10:50 AM »
Go look at the 40" XBR too.

PT-AE8000, Marantz7702, Samsung7500, N9000ESx2, AMC 2N100-5, CP-6311, X-616, S-520x4, Concept Subx2