Author Topic: Mike de Leon  (Read 65348 times)

Offline renato

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Mike de Leon
« Reply #60 on: Apr 06, 2004 at 05:17 AM »
  :)Excellent Mike de Leon essay Noel, it made my day!

I heard that Mike de Leon appeared in a Wim Wenders documentary called Chambre 666(1982).Has Anybody seen it?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #61 on: Apr 06, 2004 at 11:21 AM »
Thanks!

I haven't, sorry. So De Leon put out for Wenders? I much prefer his (Mike's) movies...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Apr 06, 2004 at 12:17 PM »
 :)Excellent Mike de Leon essay Noel, it made my day!

I heard that Mike de Leon appeared in a Wim Wenders documentary called Chambre 666(1982).Has Anybody seen it?

i havent seen the said docu but, yes, he did appear in it. it was made during one of the cannes film festivals held in the eighties wherein various directors entered a room (chambre 666???),  faced a camera, and answered the question: "what is the future of cinema?"

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Apr 06, 2004 at 12:25 PM »
Shoot, now I remember--it's listed in De Leon's imdb credits, as "apperance as an actor" or some such credit.

Wish I saw it, anyway...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Mike de Leon
« Reply #64 on: Apr 12, 2004 at 09:04 PM »
Whatever happened to the dvd box-set of his movies? Wala na yata update.

I'm dying to see again ITIM on the small screen last Holy Week perfect timing for that occasion but the vhs was out when I went to Video 48.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 15, 2004 at 08:16 AM »
I've been waiting for an update on that 'box set' too.

I saw several Mike de Leon movies-ITIM,KAKABAKABA KA BA?,KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING -for sale at kabayancentral.com for 25$.Does anybody know the quality of the print of the vintage videos  that they are selling?

Oh,and I read somewhere that Room 666 will soon be released on dvd(Region 1).It would be interesting to see what Mike De Leon looked like in 1982.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Apr 15, 2004 at 04:39 PM »
I've been waiting for an update on that 'box set' too.

I saw several Mike de Leon movies-ITIM,KAKABAKABA KA BA?,KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING -for sale at kabayancentral.com for 25$.Does anybody know the quality of the print of the vintage videos  that they are selling?

Oh,and I read somewhere that Room 666 will soon be released on dvd(Region 1).It would be interesting to see what Mike De Leon looked like in 1982.

they are very good quality. KAKABA KABA KA BA? & KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING are both widescreen versions & ITIM is pan & scan unfortunately they pulled out ITIM from their list due to copyright issues. if you're a huge fim buff like i am, you will avail of these important films on video although they are a little too pricey but it's worth having.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Apr 16, 2004 at 06:19 AM »
Thanks for the info,Jojo.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 03:43 PM »
over the holy week break, i caught again, for the third time i think, kisapmata on channel 2. And i was deeply saddened by the quality of the copy. the original opening credits has been replaced by a computerized one with a still shot of the house as a background. in certain parts, it was very dirty. but, be that as it may, it is still, without a doubt, an excellent movie. sigh...

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2004 at 07:27 PM »
I hope Mike de Leon will do a Nora Aunor film. Talk about a collaboration of two creative titans in Philippine cinema. These are my dream roles for Ms. Aunor under de Leon

1) a crime investiagtor or forensic expert with a baggage of guilt or trauma
2) a spirit medium plagued with identity crisis
3) a lonely museum curator who sexually preys on the museum's janitors and security guards
4) a creative artist--- musician, playwright or painter--- with suicidal tendencies

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2004 at 07:57 AM »
you know what Myke? Noel told me that Mike de Leon told Mother Lily na bagay kay Nora ang Sister Stella L to which Vilma said ''akin 'yan! akin!"  ;)

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2004 at 05:50 PM »
you know what Myke? Noel told me that Mike de Leon told Mother Lily na bagay kay Nora ang Sister Stella L to which Vilma said ''akin 'yan! akin!"  ;)

The Sister Stella L role would have been perfect Ms. Nora, I agree. Only she has the gravitas apt for that character. And what a missed opportunity to see her with Laurice Guillen again. It would have been a reunion of sorts from their roles as nuns in "Fe, Esperanza, Caridad." Ganda ng chemistry nila doon. It's also my dream to see both Ms. Nora and Laurice perform in Nick Joaquin's stage play "Larawan."

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2004 at 03:13 AM »
Well, it wasn't as clear-cut as that; the story as told to me (I'm probably getting some details wrong) was that Mother was talking to Vilma, selling her on the idea of doing Sister Stella L. The clincher was when she called Nora (or Nora called her) and offered her the role, to which Vilma said she'd do it. It could have been a ploy to land Vilma.

Mike and Nora? I don't know, Mike does like understated acting and Nora's best when she's understated or even silent, but when you watch Mike's movies you don't get the sense that it's all about the stars, or the characters, or even the movie. It's all about Mike's vision of the world, as filtered through what story he's telling at the moment. The performances (excellent tho they may be and I think Vic Silayan in Kisapmata gives the greatest male performance in all of Philippine cinema) are secondary.

That's not a negative comment, it's an observation. It's something almost unique to Mike's work. In Bernal, Brocka, O'Hara, Ad. Castillo, Aguiluz, lumilitaw ang performances, ang mga characters; in de Leon (and possibly Raymond Red), yung concept ang primera.

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2004 at 11:39 AM »
Mike and Nora? I don't know, Mike does like understated acting and Nora's best when she's understated or even silent, but when you watch Mike's movies you don't get the sense that it's all about the stars, or the characters, or even the movie. It's all about Mike's vision of the world, as filtered through what story he's telling at the moment. The performances (excellent tho they may be and I think Vic Silayan in Kisapmata gives the greatest male performance in all of Philippine cinema) are secondary.

That's not a negative comment, it's an observation. It's something almost unique to Mike's work. In Bernal, Brocka, O'Hara, Ad. Castillo, Aguiluz, lumilitaw ang performances, ang mga characters; in de Leon (and possibly Raymond Red), yung concept ang primera.

Precisely just the ideal directorial temperament that Ms. Aunor, with her genius for subdued and self-effacing performances, ought to bask in. I'm sick and tired of directors like Lamangan who bludgeon the viewers into cowering that she's such a great actress by wringing out "pang-award" highlights for her. I like it best when her interpretation of a given role just weaves seamlessly into the fabric of the film's narrative as in "Merika," among others.

Aside from her uncanny instinct and intelligence in cottoning up the undercurrents of nuances from the script, there's something about her presence and her silences sharpened by those legendary eyes that I believe can sizzle up De Leon's flavor of filmmaking: sort of gothic, kind of twisted.

Really, it isn't so hard to imagine what she could do if the domineering figure in "Kisapmata" were the matriarch and Charo's role were a wimp of a son. And yes, she'd do just as fine if she were to play Charito Solis' tremulous role.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2004 at 03:38 PM »
Oh, it'd be interesting, that's for sure. I'd watch it, if it ever happens.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2004 at 04:29 AM »
Mike should direct an action movie. It would star Dante Rivero as an aging cop...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2004 at 04:42 AM »
It would probably be a thriller, with more suspense setpieces than action. And a very inward-looking protagonist. Sort of like Truffaut's Shoot the Piano Player.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2004 at 04:39 AM »
 I think that Dante Rivero would be perfect for the 'malevolent father' role in De Leon's films.He was great in Azucena and in episodes of Maalaala...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2004 at 09:19 AM »
I was looking for MIke's...BILANGGO SA DILIM straight to video film but Video 48 doesn't have it.

Any info for this movie...guys?  ???

It stars Joel Torre & Cherie Gil if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2004 at 01:54 PM »
Bilanggo sa Dilim showed several times in Cinemanila. If you look at their program, they might show it again.

I've seen William Wyler's adaptation of John Fowles' The Collector before, with Terence Stamp in the Joel Torre role. Wyler's version is far more faithful, and more complete, but it's just another movie for him, tho with interesting subtexts. Bilanggo is far more eerie because it feels more personal; actually all of Mike's films are eerie because they (well, almost all) seem so personal...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2004 at 01:57 PM »
Really, it isn't so hard to imagine what she could do if the domineering figure in "Kisapmata" were the matriarch and Charo's role were a wimp of a son. And yes, she'd do just as fine if she were to play Charito Solis' tremulous role.

Now a matriarch seems really unlikely for Mike de Leon. He's really more comfortable getting into the heads of men (despite eliciting excellent performances from women). I can see Nora doing any number of roles for Mike, tho, maybe opposite Ricky Davao or Joel Torre.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2004 at 02:33 PM »
Bilanggo sa Dilim showed several times in Cinemanila. If you look at their program, they might show it again.

I've seen William Wyler's adaptation of John Fowles' The Collector before, with Terence Stamp in the Joel Torre role. Wyler's version is far more faithful, and more complete, but it's just another movie for him, tho with interesting subtexts. Bilanggo is far more eerie because it feels more personal; actually all of Mike's films are eerie because they (well, almost all) seem so personal...

Mike should do a straight horror film with no pretentions like the ones done by Dario Argento.

He can surely matched or even surpassed them.

BTW...Noel, what's next on his agenda?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004 at 02:35 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2004 at 09:27 AM »
I'm not sure Mike is capable of doing a straight anything--look at Hindi Nahahati ang Langit, his one attempt at a straightforward commercial project, and how disturbing it really is. He's going to put his mark on a film whether he likes it or not.

Oh, wait, there's Sister Stella L. But that's not his favorite of his films.

I don't know, any number of things. Last I heard was a documentary on Dona Sisang, plus DVD releases of LVN movies including Maynila. Someone might have an update.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004 at 09:34 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jun 07, 2004 at 02:32 PM »
" Rizal will never be out of my system. He's still interesting to me... It's a fascination with the past which I feel we as a culture don't have." -Mike de Leon

I can't help but wonder though why he chose Aga Mulach, apart from him saying that the production needed a "big name star", to play Jose Rizal in the 1st Rizal movie bankrolled by GMA Films but was never completed.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2004 at 03:24 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jun 07, 2004 at 03:28 PM »
If I remember right, Aga was foisted on Mike.

He was never comfortable with the GMA project; he just doesn't like dealing with a big production, big crew, lots of cares and woes and details, and studio pressure. He's happier doing his own small production. Bayaning Third World is every bit a de Leon film that the projected Rizal biopic was not.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jun 07, 2004 at 03:36 PM »
Is Bayaning Third World MIke's biggest flop...I saw it on its ist day and Jeez....empty seats inside the Sm Cinema.

Its like you were trapped in a haunted cinema.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 07, 2004 at 03:45 PM »
Naw; if I remember right, he's never made a moneymaker...except Hindi Nahahati ang Langit, after which he got offers left and right to do more komiks.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jun 07, 2004 at 03:49 PM »
And it cost him 12-15 million to produce, which is pretty big for an independent production

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jun 08, 2004 at 12:39 PM »
I'd say it was about the size of a well-budgeted commercial film--like 20 million for a Viva or Star Cinema production today. But hardly in the epic neighborhood of the GMA production.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jun 09, 2004 at 01:48 PM »
*SPOILER*

Noel, could you be kind enough to explain to me the "disclaimer" that appeared in the ending of B3W? It pretty much contradicted everything that he was trying to say in the film (which sorta ruined things) and really left me scratching my head.