Author Topic: 2nd HDMI of Flat TVs  (Read 2353 times)

Offline IceTea

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2nd HDMI of Flat TVs
« on: Dec 13, 2007 at 03:08 PM »
Hi,

For those Plasma/LCD TV with 2 HDMI port, can it be configured for HDMI out?  I was thinking I can wire it like below, so that I don't need to power-up the A/V Receiver every time.  I think the term is HDMI passthrough.  Wala pa po akong HT, kaya pasensya na kung dumb question po.  Hindi ko pa alam kung paano ang wiring ng HT.  ;D  The objective is, so that I don't need to turn on the A/V Receiver everytime I want to watch DVD, and I could use the A/V Receiver if I want a louder cable-broadcast audio.  Please enlighten.   :D

A/V Receiver <---------- TV <------------- DVD Player

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
Re: 2nd HDMI of Flat TVs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 11:00 AM »

Walang sumasagot ah ;D. Wala gumagawa nito o hindi pwede?  ???

Offline Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 11:47 AM »
Hi,

For those Plasma/LCD TV with 2 HDMI port, can it be configured for HDMI out?  I was thinking I can wire it like below, so that I don't need to power-up the A/V Receiver every time.  I think the term is HDMI passthrough.  Wala pa po akong HT, kaya pasensya na kung dumb question po.  Hindi ko pa alam kung paano ang wiring ng HT.  ;D  The objective is, so that I don't need to turn on the A/V Receiver everytime I want to watch DVD, and I could use the A/V Receiver if I want a louder cable-broadcast audio.  Please enlighten.   :D

as far as i know, hdmi out via tv doesn't exist yet. you can use the rca out if you want a louder cable audio broadcast which is what i currently do. pero magandang idea nga ito para malinis ang connection at hindi mukang spageti ang likod ng system.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007 at 11:50 AM by Tonmeister »

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 09:33 AM »
as far as i know, hdmi out via tv doesn't exist yet. you can use the rca out if you want a louder cable audio broadcast which is what i currently do. pero magandang idea nga ito para malinis ang connection at hindi mukang spageti ang likod ng system.

I just talked to one of the A/V shop owner, and yup, hdmi out for TV is not yet available.  Sayang!  I thought all HDMI are configurable for direction.  Argh!  ;D  Thank you po.

Offline LETOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 09:53 PM »
Hi,

Based on actual experience and with reference to your simple signal direction diagram, you can watch the dvd using hdmi connection without turning on your AV receiver. You can configure your TV or DVD player to activate the sound transmitted via hdmi connection. You can hear the sound thru your TV speakers.

DVD digital audio signal should be directed to your A/V receiver via optical cable or digital coax for proper Dolby 5.1 or DTS audio decoding and not via your TV.

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 08:48 AM »
DVD digital audio signal should be directed to your A/V receiver via optical cable or digital coax for proper Dolby 5.1 or DTS audio decoding and not via your TV.

Yup, but that will require an additional cable from DVD player to A/V Receiver.  If HDMI-out are available for TVs then, I guess, my diagram should work without the additional cable.  Unfortunately, HDMI-out are not yet available for TVs. Bhuhuhuhu!   :)

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 06:37 AM »
Yup, but that will require an additional cable from DVD player to A/V Receiver.  If HDMI-out are available for TVs then, I guess, my diagram should work without the additional cable.  Unfortunately, HDMI-out are not yet available for TVs. Bhuhuhuhu!   :)

Naturally, its the basic. How would you send the signal to the receiver based on your diagram without an additional cable? Whether there is an HDMI output or none on the TV you will still need an additional cable to connect the dvd to your receiver.

What I mean is, the additional cable you'll need is even much cheaper with HDMI cables (except for generic ones like the CD-R King product).
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2008 at 06:45 AM by LETOR »

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 06:57 AM »
The objective is, so that I don't need to turn on the A/V Receiver everytime I want to watch DVD, and I could use the A/V Receiver if I want a louder cable-broadcast audio.  Please enlighten.   :D

Based on your diagram, your objective is already met. HDMI connection especially the later versions have already incorporated the digital audio signal on the HDMI port.  So you dont need to turn on the AV receiver if you like to watch DVD with its sound coming only from the TV.

This should be your basic connection if you have an A/V Receiver that is not HDMI capable.

TV <------------------- DVD Player ---------------------> A/V Receiver
                                      HDMI                                  AUDIO CABLE
                                (video + audio)

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2008 at 08:37 AM by LETOR »

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
This should be your basic connection if you have an A/V Receiver that is not HDMI capable.

TV <------------------- DVD Player ---------------------> A/V Receiver
                                      HDMI                                  AUDIO CABLE
                                (video + audio)

Hi,

Don't get me wrong, I get where you're going with this, but the main idea of the thread is to use the 2nd HDMI of the TV.  Using the optical out of the DVD Player is the original way of doing it, but I was thinking of an alternative way with less cables.  With the diagram above, I would need to connect the TV via TV Audio-out(RCA) to the A/V Receiver, if I want a louder cable-broadcast audio.  Thanks for your inputs.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM by IceTea »

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 06:46 PM »
Okay. I got what you mean and want to do. May be the TV that would meet this condition should be more sophisticated as it will have to convert cable broadcast signal which is analog to digital since HDMI's carry digital audio and video signals. But sending the video signal from TV to the receiver is quite opposite of the standard though you only want the audio signal.

By the way, is there any cable company now in the Philippines which transmit digital signals or even HD broadcast? Sana  upgrade na nila para ma fully utilzed na dito sa atin ang mga HDTV na binibenta.

Anyway your query I think was already answered by Tonmeister. Regards..... :) ;)

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 09:01 AM »
Okay. I got what you mean and want to do. May be the TV that would meet this condition should be more sophisticated as it will have to convert cable broadcast signal which is analog to digital since HDMI's carry digital audio and video signals. But sending the video signal from TV to the receiver is quite opposite of the standard though you only want the audio signal.

By the way, is there any cable company now in the Philippines which transmit digital signals or even HD broadcast? Sana  upgrade na nila para ma fully utilzed na dito sa atin ang mga HDTV na binibenta.

Anyway your query I think was already answered by Tonmeister. Regards..... :) ;)

Yup.  According to a A/V shop owner, there's no requirement for that kind of TV feature.  Maybe in the future daw, if there is a market drive for the said feature. 

OT lang pero, the nearest digital cable is SkyCable.  I'm not even sure if you can consider it "digital".  Their aim is to minimize illegal connection, so they implemented decoders, and no video/audio improvement.  Also I heard that ABS-CBN is conducting a test digital broadcast somewhere in Bulacan.  Not sure if it's true.

Yes, Sir Tonmeister also did the same cable "spaghetti" connection.  :D

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2008 at 04:33 PM by IceTea »

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 05:34 PM »
Mga Sir, Info lang ito. Mga Bagong HD TV Model may SPDIF out.

Offline Simple Mind

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 06:28 PM »
Hi Bro...I'm new in this topic but I want to share info... there are HDMI gadget that have multiple outputs (4 or more outputs)... :)

Referring to
Mga Sir, Info lang ito. Mga Bagong HD TV Model may SPDIF out.

SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface) output from LCD TV can be use in order to avail digital audio...and it is the standard format widely used in Consumer Type AV gadgets. 8) Just want to share lang naman...

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 06:51 PM »
Simple mind, Tama ka bro, That is the simpliest way to do it (Palagay ko). Mga sir careful with that HDMI INPUT, just a bit of concern.