Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 505149 times)

Offline deweyfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2670 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 03:58 PM »
Kudos to Star Cinema for releasing two versions of Vilma Santos‘ much-anticipated first-ever suspense-horror film titled “The Healing”. I hope PIONEER FILMS and VIVA FILMS will follow Star Cinema's lead, rather than butchering a film.

then again that's Governor Vilma Santos they're dealing with.....

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2671 on: Aug 13, 2012 at 09:39 AM »
The special eight-man committee of the Film Academy of the Philippines which will choose the local film to vie for nomination to the best foreign language film category for the 85th Oscar Awards next year will review seven films the Cinema Evaluation Board gave the A rating during the October, 2011-July, 2012 period.

But the committee will also consider other films will get an A rating and will be commercially exhibited in August and September this year.

Oscar Award rules for the best foreign language film category stipulate that to qualify, the film must have been commercially exhibited for at least seven consecutive days during the period from October, 2011 to September, 2012.

As of July, the seven films in the short list are the following:

Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa (shown on October 26, 2011);
Manila Kingpin: Asiong Salonga Story (Dec. 25, 2011);
Segunda Mano (Dec. 25, 2011);
A Mother’s Story (Jan. 8, 2012);
The Witness (Mar. 21, 2012);
Captive (scheduled for a Sept. 5, 2012 playdate);
and Busong (commercial run still to be certified).

-- SOURCE: http://filmacademyphil.org/?p=4802
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012 at 09:40 AM by geckoph »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2672 on: Aug 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM »
Every Breath U Take. Typical Star Cinema romantic comedy with more slaptick than usual. Angelica is in fine form but Piolo tries too hard.

Virgin People (Celso Ad Castillo).  On the surface it seems to aspire to be more but it's really just a well-made sexploitation film.

Can someone please explain to me what Boy Pickup is all about?
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM by rse »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2673 on: Aug 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM »
Agree on VIRGIN PEOPLE, rse.

Its one of the best erotic films ever made. Part 2 and part 3 pale in comparison.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2674 on: Sep 05, 2012 at 12:02 AM »
Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa. It's Ok. A bit talky & pretentious. Not really a best picture material.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+433)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1263
« Reply #2675 on: Sep 09, 2012 at 06:13 AM »
‘Thy Womb’ gets standing ovation in Venice:
September 7, 2012

http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/news/%E2%80%98thy-womb%E2%80%99-gets-standing-ovation-in-venice.html

Nora, Mendoza win special awards in Venice:
September 8, 2012

http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/news/nora--mendoza-win-special-awards-in-venice.html

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2676 on: Sep 09, 2012 at 06:56 PM »
Captive (Brillante Mendoza) ***1/2 - Director Brillante Mendoza's latest opus is about a group of people vacationing in a Philippine beach resort taken hostage by a fundamentalist Filipino-Muslim separatist terrorist group, the Abu Sayyaf. Isabelle Huppert plays a French Christian social worker. Just like with Mendoza's previous work, Kinatay, this is a challenge to get through. The film unfolds unconventionally, foregoing the expected narrative trappings and instead lets the film just happen, almost documentary-style (it is quite loosely based on a true story that actually happened). It's this structure that makes the film a trial to sit through, at times excruciating but people open to Mendoza's style (an increased budget allows him to be more visually gorgeous this time around) will find the film rather rewarding and thought provoking as both the hostages and their captors are humanized throughout. Not my favorite Mendoza film but a solid entry nevertheless. Huppert is of course predictably outstanding. It helps that Brillante is fantastic with actresses.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2677 on: Sep 29, 2012 at 08:40 AM »
Filipino film wins grand prize in National Geographic filmfest:
September 29, 2012

Auraeus Solito's "Busong" -- which was premiered last year at the Cannes International Film Festival's Directors Fortnight section -- continued its winning streak by running away with the grand prize in the recently concluded National Geographic All Roads Film Festival in Washington D.C.

The grand prize in the festival -- the Merata Mita Award -- was named after the late New Zealand filmmaker who championed the Maori film industry.

Full article:
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-inbox/filipino-film-wins-grand-prize-national-geographic-filmfest-172916962.html

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2678 on: Oct 07, 2012 at 10:28 PM »

Give Up Tomorrow (Michael Collins) ***1/2 - This is a documentary made in the tradition of The Thin Blue Line and Paradise Lost. It's about the miscarriage of justice, only this time it hits close to home for me. It tells the story of a young man (and 6 others) who were convicted of the brutal murder and rape of two young women but this guy could not have possibly committed it since the murders happened in Cebu and he was clearly seen in Manila, the capital city in a whole other island, by 40+ witnesses.. An eye-opening look into the justice system of my country. I always knew that there's lots of corruption and disgusting things happening in our government but I had no idea it was THIS bad. It's disturbing, infuriating and heartbreaking. 

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2679 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 10:35 AM »
R.I.P. Direk Marilou Diaz-Abaya. A big loss to Philippine Cinema.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2680 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM »
QCinema: 2013 Quezon City FIlm Festival

Gaydar
Hello, WOrld
Lukas Nino

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2681 on: Oct 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM »
Cinema One Originals

"Mariposa (Sa Hawla ng Gabi)" Official Teaser HD -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqre9Qp0yQc

"EDSA XXX" | this is not a film by khavn | trailer -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd_8NOCjV9E

-----

via Mell T. Navarro

‎"ORO, PLATA, MATA", the HIGH-DEFINITION version restored with the help of abs-cbn archives, will be the opening film in CINEMA ONE ORIGINALS 2012, slated 3rd week of november, 2012, venue to be announced...

-----
via Mell T. Navarro

"SUPREMO" of Richard Somes (film bio of andres bonifacio, starring alfred vargas) is the OPENING FILM of cinemanila international film festival on Nov 27 at market-market cinema, bonifacio global city, taguig...
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM by geckoph »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2682 on: Oct 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM »
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012 at 02:40 AM by rse »

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2683 on: Oct 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM »
via Mell T. Navarro

...NOVEMBER 28, 2012 is the opening event date of CINEMA ONE ORIGINALS 2012... Opening film is the restored/ high definition version of the 1982 peque gallaga classid "ORO, PLATA, MATA", written by jose javier reyes... the HD version of ishmael bernal's "HIMALA", also celebrating its 30th anniversary this year (like ORO), will also be shown in this festival, details to be announced asap!... mabuhay!!!

...confirmed na po ang SHANGRILA CINEMA as venue for the festival, working pa on ROBINSONS GALLERIA as possible additional cinema! mabuhay ang pinoy indie cinemaaaa!!!

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2684 on: Nov 02, 2012 at 10:45 AM »
Cinema One Originals

"Mariposa (Sa Hawla ng Gabi)" Official Teaser HD -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqre9Qp0yQc

"EDSA XXX" | this is not a film by khavn | trailer -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd_8NOCjV9E

"Slumber Party" Teaser 1- Cinema One Originals 2012 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMgFRok8rU

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2685 on: Nov 04, 2012 at 06:28 PM »
Rono's The Healing. Promising start, but quickly turns into a usual Star Cinema horror/thriller fare complete with unconvincing CGI effects.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2686 on: Nov 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM »
Cinema One Originals

"Slumber Party" Teaser 1- Cinema One Originals 2012 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMgFRok8rU

"MATER DOLOROSA" Teaser -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otWQITY9ZuE

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2687 on: Nov 18, 2012 at 02:43 PM »
Kimmy Dora & the Temple of Kiyeme.  Not a fan of the 1st, but this sequel is even worse. Not funny, not scary but bloated & indulgent..

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2688 on: Nov 25, 2012 at 07:19 PM »
Asiong Salonga. Drama, Action, Sex, repeat.  Style over substance, miscast lead,  badly done make up & digital polishings. Disappointing.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 481
« Reply #2689 on: Nov 28, 2012 at 02:59 PM »
i was a fan of the first kimmy dora and was very disappointed with the sequel. some supect that star cinema may have been the cause. personally, i think it was the horror element that wrecked it.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2690 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 09:14 PM »
Genghis Khan (Manuel Conde) **** - This Filipino film from 1950 was thought to be lost until quite recently when viable prints were found in Europe and was restored. Featuring narration by critic James Agee, this epic historical drama about the rise Genghis Khan may not be completely historically accurate and the obvious low-budget at times show (which, IMO, adds to its charm) but the film is wonderfully shot and at times feels almost Kurosawa-like. Not a lot of Filipino films before 1970 still exists and it absolutely feels wonderful that this particular part of our cinematic heritage survived.

Offline R2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2691 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 07:10 PM »
Just watched my copy of Brillante Mendoza's Manoro (The Teacher). I would say I wasn't impressed; his trademark cinema verite-style, by using handheld camera shots, doesn't work well for his subject matter in this case. The main problem lies in his inefficient use of the technique - on the surface the camera is so shaky it can induce vertigo, and on a deeper level, in his use of amateur casting his camera should have somehow captured snippets of emotions to cinematic effects (similar to what Danny Boyle achieved with his slum dwelling kids in Slumdog Millionaire) but this was nowhere to be felt in this movie. It was so disengaged, to say the least. A real shame coz the subject matter is so different from the usual stuff. A wasted opportunity, I have to say.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 07:11 PM by R2 »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2692 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:09 PM »
EDSA XXX (Khavn de la Cruz) *** - I don't feel completely comfortable reviewing this film since what I saw was a work-in-progress version shown out of competition at a Filipino film festival. The best way I can describe this film: Imagine Alejandro Jodorowsky was Filipino and made a sci-fi/political satire/musical. It's as bizarre as it sounds but, as it is, very enjoyable, breezy romp. It's set in a futuristic dystopian Philippines (now renamed Ek-Ek-Ek) where it's revealed four aliens are actually controlling the Philippine presidents. It's shot very low-budget completely on the historical island of Corregidor. Its strangeness is both an asset and a liability. Some of the stinging satire may be lost on some people. But the songs are pretty darn good and even in its unfinished state, it's made with a lot of passion and love.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2693 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 10:59 PM »
Thought Manoro was his best work, myself.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2695 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 09:32 PM »
Peque Gallaga's Virgin Forest in 1080p HD http://youtu.be/FF3ilN1D2lk

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2696 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM »
The Reunion follows the usual Star Cinema formula but there's a hint of quirkiness in it that's usually found in indie movies that makes it a bit interesting. The use of Eraserheads soundtrack adds a dose of nostalgia.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013 at 06:25 PM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2697 on: Jan 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM »
Star Cinema's The Mistress is a soap. The storyline and execution belong in afternoon television, best watched while doing your ironing.  Also it features the creepiest and most uncomfortable seduction scene ever filmed in Philippine cinema.  John Lloyd & Bea are totally miscast. JL tries too hard to be hunky and smouldering, even showing his man boobs & flabs every chance he gets, the next minute he's displaying his Puss in Boots pair of puppy-dog eyes and acting all sensitive.  I also don't buy Bea as a mistress.  She looks and acts too chaste, virginal even, except for a few scenes when she finally showed some skin and her character cries every 15 minutes.  That said, Hilda Koronel's juicy performance alone maybe enough reason to see this movie. Ronaldo Valdez is also effective as the benefactor.  Maybe if they had better material to work with, they could have shone even more. But I must say that the ending is quite brave for these type of movies.

Star Cinema's "maindie" Amarosa is an incoherent mess.  Frantic editing, derivative, unfocused & ridiculous situations.  Avoid this one.

Of All The Things is a charming more mature romcom - a great comeback for Regine & Aga. Finally, a recent Joyce Bernal movie that I like.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013 at 04:57 AM by rse »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2698 on: Jan 27, 2013 at 04:16 PM »
Read that "Metro Manila", a Filipino language film by British director Sean Ellis, just won the "Audience Award: World Cinema Dramatic" in the recent 2013 Sundance Film Festival.

"Metro Manila" is a British-Filipino production set entirely in the Philippines. "Metro Manila" competed against 11 other films in the said category, during the film festival held from January 17 to 27 in Park City, Utah.

Written by British director Sean Ellis and Frank E. Flowers, and produced by Chocolate Frog Films, the film tells a story of a man from the province engulfed by the chaos and treachery of the big city.

It stars Jake Macapagal, John Arcilla, and Althea Vega.

Poster:

Also found some 2012 articles regarding this film:

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/41835/%E2%80%98manila%E2%80%99-is-star-of-british-film

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2012/11/29/876009/pinoy-film-makes-it-sundance
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013 at 04:32 PM by jas »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2699 on: Jan 27, 2013 at 05:55 PM »
Enjoyed Secret Affair. Juicy one liners, sexy stars & a funny Jacklyn Jose. Forget other infidelity movie, The Mistress, see this instead!