Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 501288 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mother Lily Monteverde
« Reply #2250 on: Aug 13, 2009 at 05:43 PM »
Mother Lily Monteverde produces honest results in "Don't Lie to Me"
Author: Elyas Isabelo Salanga

Regal Films producer and matriarch Mother Lily Monteverde is probably John Lapus's biggest guest so far to get strapped in a lie detector seat in an attempt to keep a perfect score on Showbiz Central's "Don't Lie to Me" segment.

Accompanying Mother Lily-though of course sitting on a more comfortable seat-are some of her younger Regal Babies: Mart Escudero, Kris Bernal, TJ Trinidad, and Dennis Trillo.

Without further ado, John proceeded on asking the juicy questions for Mother Lily. The first question was this: Rio Locsin, Dina Bonnevie, and Snooky Serna have all wore a "magic kamison." Many people are asking now if Mother Lily owned that iconic kamison that she had her leading ladies wear in their movies.

"No," Mother Lily smiled. As it turned out, the machine churned out a "Truth." After the result, the boggled John couldn't help but ask why Mother Lily always lets her actresses wear a kamison.

"It's very lucky, that kamison," Mother Lily said. When asked if she has her own magic kamison, she laughed and answered, "Yes!"

The next question came from one of Mother Lily's Regal babies, William Martinez. He asked through video feed, "Totoo nga ba na kami raw ni Maricel Soriano ang favorite mo noon as a love team?"

"No," Mother Lily quickly answered. As the result to Mother's answer showed a "Lie," John exclaimes and dances to the beat while Mother laughed, clearly enjoying John's dance moves. When asked to explain her side, Mother simply admitted that she lied on purpose. It seems like Mother Lily lied on purpose just to see John dance. The Maricel-William love team was in fact, her favorite.

The moderate level of John's questioning lived up to its name as John gave out a rather sensitive yet funny question. "Mother," John said, "tuwing nag-aaway daw kayo ni Alfie Lorenzo ay nagbabatuhan daw kayo ng sandok. At kapag nagagalit ka daw ay mahilig ka na magbato naman ng cellphone. Mahilig ka ba mangbato ng gamit tuwing magagalit ka?"

"No," Mother Liliy answered.

The lie detector seemed to trace a wee bit of pressure on Mother Lily's part as it gave out a "Lie." Mother could only laugh as John once again danced to the beat. This time, Mother didn't look as amused as before. When asked on what she had thrown so far, Mother just said, "I'm very sweet, wala."

"Sa mga Regal babies," John asked, looking at Dennis' direction, "kayo ba ay nabato na ni Mother?"

"Ako, hindi pa ako nakakakita ng ganoon," Dennis said. "May naririnig ako pero ayoko maniwala hangga't 'di ko nakikita, siyempre."

Mart agreed. "Sa akin, wala pa. Sa tagal ng pinagsamahan namin, e, wala pa."

"Wala rin. Mabait si Mother," Kris added. "'Pag sa taping namin patient si Mother."

Since John got good feedback from the Regal Babies, he turned to Mother Lily and asked if she threw stuff on her staff. "No," answered Mother Lily.

The next question was quite an easy one for Mother Lily. John asked, "Was there ever a time na naging sakit ng ulo mo si Snooky Serna?"

"Yes," Mother said without hesitation. As it turned out, the machine agreed. When asked why, she explained by saying that Snooky had many problems during her time. When asked if Mother would still cast Snooky on future films, Mother again without hesitation, answered a "Yes."

Moving on to the difficult part of the question, John asked, "Mother, binabayaran mo daw sina Tito Alfie Lorenzo at Manay Lolit Solis ng 100 pesos noong araw para sundan ang iyong mister at tignan kung nangbababae ito. Don't lie to me, yes or no?"

There was short pause before Mother could give out a "No." That short pause may have given her away as the lie detector once again gave out a "Lie." Mother could only smile and laugh as John once again dance to the beat of Mother's blunder. When John asked on whether Lolit and Alfie found anything on their "investigation", Mother again slipped by saying, "Wala naman."

The next question came from Judy Ann Santos via video feed. She asked, "Mother, mayroon na po ba kayong nakasamaan ng loob na talent manager?"

"Yes," Mother calmly answered.

As the lie detector gave out a "Truth," Mother proceeded to share on who that manager was.

It turned out to be Becky Aguila.

Why was she mad at Becky?

"I got hurt," Mother explained. "She lied. I am inviting her to have this lie detector."

Next question was, "Totoo ba na laging postdated or delayed ang binabayad mong tseke sa artista mo?"

"Yes," the honest Mother Lily said. As the machine agreed, Mother explained that the times are hard. "I try to move the industry alive. That is the reason why after the shooting, that's the time I pay them."

The Now or Never question came from Alfie Lorenzo. He asked, "Mother, mas galante ka daw sa mga artista kaysa sa mga anak mo? Yes or no?"

"Yes," a teary-eyed Mother said. When the machine agreed to her answer, she added, "Of course, when I produce a movie, I have to sacrifice my family. The priority is the stars."

Overcome with emotion, she paused for a few moments to regain her composure. After sensing that she was ready again to speak, John asked, "Na-explain mo na sa kanila kung bakit kailangang mas maging galante sa artista kaysa sa kanila?"

"Of course now they realize that I give the stars priority," Mother said. As it turned out, her children grew up to be producers as well. For a mother, she was proud for her children. She added, "I am proud of them because they followed my footsteps. I always teach them to be honest and accept things."

HURT OVER Becky Aguila. After the segment was done, Mother Lily wished to give some advice to managers out there. She said, "Well in my entire life, for the past 48 years that I have experienced so many things in my life. Na-feel ko na sometimes I get hurt and sometimes I also have differences with others but my stars are with me. It's not forever because I want them to grow far, far, farther like Angel Locsin."

As she mentioned the name Angel Locsin, silence followed as everyone, including John, waited for Mother's speech to progress.

"I don't want to sue her anymore," Mother calmly said. "Because she is very innocent in this issue. But the only thing I advise to all managers is to be honest."

As Mother again became emotional with her words, she added, "Honesty is the best policy in life. Ever since in my life-I am seventy-I've been working very hard. But one thing I really get hurt is a manager who tells a lie. Even the lawyer tells a lie because she was with me talking about the schedule with Angel. All of the sudden she [Becky] turned her back and said that she is not exclusive with me."

As John moved in to politely cut-off Mother Lily's words with a praise, Mother gave a metaphorical last message. She said, "Deep in my heart, the father of Gabby [Concepcion] gave me a diamond ring."

"And he said to me, 'Diamonds are forever.'"

;D

Offline rse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Mother Lily Monteverde
« Reply #2251 on: Aug 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM »
Mother Lily Monteverde produces honest results in "Don't Lie to Me"
Author: Elyas Isabelo Salanga

Regal Films producer and matriarch Mother Lily Monteverde is probably John Lapus's biggest guest so far to get strapped in a lie detector seat in an attempt to keep a perfect score on Showbiz Central's "Don't Lie to Me" segment.

Accompanying Mother Lily-though of course sitting on a more comfortable seat-are some of her younger Regal Babies: Mart Escudero, Kris Bernal, TJ Trinidad, and Dennis Trillo.

Without further ado, John proceeded on asking the juicy questions for Mother Lily. The first question was this: Rio Locsin, Dina Bonnevie, and Snooky Serna have all wore a "magic kamison." Many people are asking now if Mother Lily owned that iconic kamison that she had her leading ladies wear in their movies.

"No," Mother Lily smiled. As it turned out, the machine churned out a "Truth." After the result, the boggled John couldn't help but ask why Mother Lily always lets her actresses wear a kamison.

"It's very lucky, that kamison," Mother Lily said. When asked if she has her own magic kamison, she laughed and answered, "Yes!"

The next question came from one of Mother Lily's Regal babies, William Martinez. He asked through video feed, "Totoo nga ba na kami raw ni Maricel Soriano ang favorite mo noon as a love team?"

"No," Mother Lily quickly answered. As the result to Mother's answer showed a "Lie," John exclaimes and dances to the beat while Mother laughed, clearly enjoying John's dance moves. When asked to explain her side, Mother simply admitted that she lied on purpose. It seems like Mother Lily lied on purpose just to see John dance. The Maricel-William love team was in fact, her favorite.

The moderate level of John's questioning lived up to its name as John gave out a rather sensitive yet funny question. "Mother," John said, "tuwing nag-aaway daw kayo ni Alfie Lorenzo ay nagbabatuhan daw kayo ng sandok. At kapag nagagalit ka daw ay mahilig ka na magbato naman ng cellphone. Mahilig ka ba mangbato ng gamit tuwing magagalit ka?"

"No," Mother Liliy answered.

The lie detector seemed to trace a wee bit of pressure on Mother Lily's part as it gave out a "Lie." Mother could only laugh as John once again danced to the beat. This time, Mother didn't look as amused as before. When asked on what she had thrown so far, Mother just said, "I'm very sweet, wala."

"Sa mga Regal babies," John asked, looking at Dennis' direction, "kayo ba ay nabato na ni Mother?"

"Ako, hindi pa ako nakakakita ng ganoon," Dennis said. "May naririnig ako pero ayoko maniwala hangga't 'di ko nakikita, siyempre."

Mart agreed. "Sa akin, wala pa. Sa tagal ng pinagsamahan namin, e, wala pa."

"Wala rin. Mabait si Mother," Kris added. "'Pag sa taping namin patient si Mother."

Since John got good feedback from the Regal Babies, he turned to Mother Lily and asked if she threw stuff on her staff. "No," answered Mother Lily.

The next question was quite an easy one for Mother Lily. John asked, "Was there ever a time na naging sakit ng ulo mo si Snooky Serna?"

"Yes," Mother said without hesitation. As it turned out, the machine agreed. When asked why, she explained by saying that Snooky had many problems during her time. When asked if Mother would still cast Snooky on future films, Mother again without hesitation, answered a "Yes."

Moving on to the difficult part of the question, John asked, "Mother, binabayaran mo daw sina Tito Alfie Lorenzo at Manay Lolit Solis ng 100 pesos noong araw para sundan ang iyong mister at tignan kung nangbababae ito. Don't lie to me, yes or no?"

There was short pause before Mother could give out a "No." That short pause may have given her away as the lie detector once again gave out a "Lie." Mother could only smile and laugh as John once again dance to the beat of Mother's blunder. When John asked on whether Lolit and Alfie found anything on their "investigation", Mother again slipped by saying, "Wala naman."

The next question came from Judy Ann Santos via video feed. She asked, "Mother, mayroon na po ba kayong nakasamaan ng loob na talent manager?"

"Yes," Mother calmly answered.

As the lie detector gave out a "Truth," Mother proceeded to share on who that manager was.

It turned out to be Becky Aguila.

Why was she mad at Becky?

"I got hurt," Mother explained. "She lied. I am inviting her to have this lie detector."

Next question was, "Totoo ba na laging postdated or delayed ang binabayad mong tseke sa artista mo?"

"Yes," the honest Mother Lily said. As the machine agreed, Mother explained that the times are hard. "I try to move the industry alive. That is the reason why after the shooting, that's the time I pay them."

The Now or Never question came from Alfie Lorenzo. He asked, "Mother, mas galante ka daw sa mga artista kaysa sa mga anak mo? Yes or no?"

"Yes," a teary-eyed Mother said. When the machine agreed to her answer, she added, "Of course, when I produce a movie, I have to sacrifice my family. The priority is the stars."

Overcome with emotion, she paused for a few moments to regain her composure. After sensing that she was ready again to speak, John asked, "Na-explain mo na sa kanila kung bakit kailangang mas maging galante sa artista kaysa sa kanila?"

"Of course now they realize that I give the stars priority," Mother said. As it turned out, her children grew up to be producers as well. For a mother, she was proud for her children. She added, "I am proud of them because they followed my footsteps. I always teach them to be honest and accept things."

HURT OVER Becky Aguila. After the segment was done, Mother Lily wished to give some advice to managers out there. She said, "Well in my entire life, for the past 48 years that I have experienced so many things in my life. Na-feel ko na sometimes I get hurt and sometimes I also have differences with others but my stars are with me. It's not forever because I want them to grow far, far, farther like Angel Locsin."

As she mentioned the name Angel Locsin, silence followed as everyone, including John, waited for Mother's speech to progress.

"I don't want to sue her anymore," Mother calmly said. "Because she is very innocent in this issue. But the only thing I advise to all managers is to be honest."

As Mother again became emotional with her words, she added, "Honesty is the best policy in life. Ever since in my life-I am seventy-I've been working very hard. But one thing I really get hurt is a manager who tells a lie. Even the lawyer tells a lie because she was with me talking about the schedule with Angel. All of the sudden she [Becky] turned her back and said that she is not exclusive with me."

As John moved in to politely cut-off Mother Lily's words with a praise, Mother gave a metaphorical last message. She said, "Deep in my heart, the father of Gabby [Concepcion] gave me a diamond ring."

"And he said to me, 'Diamonds are forever.'"

;D

This is a nice read.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2252 on: Aug 14, 2009 at 02:03 AM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2253 on: Aug 14, 2009 at 05:34 PM »
Rse you should catch the interview of Boy Abunda to Mother aired last Tuesday on Inside the Cinema on Cinema One. That was very informative and so witty.

She's a bit crazy and her life is one for the books!  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2009 at 08:37 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: IGOROTA by Luis Nepomuceno
« Reply #2254 on: Aug 16, 2009 at 09:47 AM »
IGOROTA (Luis Nepomuceno, 1968)

The late Charito Solis is the most versatile actress among her contemporaries. In the late 60's she starred in one of Nepomuceno Productions big budget film IGOROTA. Set on the mountains in Banaue Rice Terraces, she was a barrio lass who fall in love with a man from the city. The film was not easy to make, big, glossy, expensive, colorful melodrama that you miss now watching on the theatres. You get to see also the breathtaking views on the countryside that our country has to offer. Rich in cultural heritage, aside from baring her breasts as a mountain maiden, Solis blew me away! She was mocked, ridiculed and humiliated by the people from the city when she got married to Ric Rodrigo as her husband. The soaring musical score of Tito Arevalo in this film is a joy to hear. Behold the stunning cinematography of Ricardo Remias. The fight scenes were executed in a real manner. Too bad that most of the cast were already deceased aside from the late Charito Solis to Ric Rodrigo, Mario Montenegro and the production people behind the scenes.

Charito Solis may be forgotten but she left us a body of work impossible to forget. She played a Korean/Japanese woman in ULILANG BITUIN, has-been-actress brutalized in gang rape in ANGUSTIA, a mother who wants to change her past in
 MANILA BY NIGHT, a spinster who narrates the dark story of her family in KARNAL. And a spate of classic films KUNDIMAN NG LAHI, MALVAROSA, EMILY, EL FILIBUSTERISMO, INA KAPATID ANAK, KISAPMATA & HINUGOT SA LANGIT.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2255 on: Aug 17, 2009 at 08:41 PM »

Offline northern portrait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2256 on: Aug 19, 2009 at 09:48 PM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2257 on: Aug 19, 2009 at 10:14 PM »
Have you seen Welles' adaptation of Kafka? Shoulda thrown that in in my own article, that courthouse looks like the Gare d'Orsay, smaller and more Malay of course.

Gay men as oppressed? I'd agree with the filmmakers this much, that it's not quite tired or irrelevant yet. Was Winston gay? That could be another factor.

Good stuff, especially the last part. Law touches all of us in all kinds of ways--oggs studied law (are you practicing?), I was in prelaw, and had seen (or sat through) many a Filipino movie court drama, and you had your mom.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2258 on: Aug 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM »
Have you seen Welles' adaptation of Kafka? Shoulda thrown that in in my own article, that courthouse looks like the Gare d'Orsay, smaller and more Malay of course.

Gay men as oppressed? I'd agree with the filmmakers this much, that it's not quite tired or irrelevant yet. Was Winston gay? That could be another factor.

Good stuff, especially the last part. Law touches all of us in all kinds of ways--oggs studied law (are you practicing?), I was in prelaw, and had seen (or sat through) many a Filipino movie court drama, and you had your mom.

I practice, Noel... and I've seen enough Last Supper moments to get callous about it (saw a tricycle driver forced to admit to acts of lasciviousness because he has been rotting in jail for 2 and a half years, which is the minimum for his felony, but in his explanation, he just touched the butt of the girl to get her out of her tricycle; heard the trial of a man who is charged with robbery of some towels and slippers, etc.). I'm impressed with your mom. I know most fiscals won't even find time to rehearse their witnesses.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2259 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 12:34 AM »

I have Orson Welles's adaptation somewhere here, I also have Michael Haneke's The Castle, but unfortunately they are now lost in all the clutter in my room. I promised not to touch them until I had read the written versions. I may just end up reprocuring them.   

I don't know the goods on Winston's sexual orientation, but I'm wondering too. The question is, could the film have worked with Wilson as a straight man? Maybe it's a fuss of mine about nothing. The truth is, gay comedians and stand-up comics have been the rage for a while now. The success of Jay must have been an inspiration too.

Thanks for reading the piece all the way through. I know about Oggs's profession, of course . I visit his blog every so often. The part about you in prelaw is new to me. My brother and mother are lawyers, my father was in prelaw too. Meanwhile I took up English Studies at UP Diliman, though it hardly shows. 

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2260 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 12:44 AM »
I practice, Noel... and I've seen enough Last Supper moments to get callous about it (saw a tricycle driver forced to admit to acts of lasciviousness because he has been rotting in jail for 2 and a half years, which is the minimum for his felony, but in his explanation, he just touched the butt of the girl to get her out of her tricycle; heard the trial of a man who is charged with robbery of some towels and slippers, etc.). I'm impressed with your mom. I know most fiscals won't even find time to rehearse their witnesses.

My memory seems to be playing tricks on me, but the rehearsals of testimonies that I remember my mother conducting were in English -- pretty much like Wilson's own testimony. I wonder if it's still the same. It's probably because the province we come from is non-Tagalog.   

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2009 at 09:20 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2262 on: Aug 30, 2009 at 08:47 PM »
Just revisited Sakay on DVD.  It's surprisingly in great condition and it's in widescreen.  The only major thing that I don't like about this release is that it says in the box that there are English subtitles but it's not included (I had the same problem in the Magnifico DVD that I bought from Manila a while back).  The DVD was sent from Manila so I guess the US release has the subtitles.

The movie actually is better than how I remembered it when I saw it in its theatrical run.  It's definitely one of the best designed Pinoy period movie that I've seen.  It looks more authentic than the big budget movies like Rizal and the recent Baler.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009 at 11:18 PM by rse »

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2263 on: Aug 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2264 on: Aug 31, 2009 at 01:08 AM »
Does anyone else find the totally GENERIC titles of kilig romantic dramas/dramedies annoying?

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • I am a master of my thoughts!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2265 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 05:50 PM »
I am shocked by this news. May the killers of Mr. Tioseco and Ms. Bohinc be apprehended soon!

Film critic Alexis Tioseco, girlfriend shot dead in his QC home
Published: September 2, 2009

http://www.spot.ph/2009/09/02/film-critic-alexis-tioseco-girlfriend-shot-dead-in-his-qc-home/

Film critic Alexis Tioseco and his Slovenian girlfriend, film journalist Nika Bohinc, were shot by robbers last night, September 1, in his Quezon City home on Times Street, West Triangle, as reported by abs-cbnnews.com.

Their household helper identified as Criselda,was said to have let three gunmen inside the couple’s house at around 10 p.m. According to the police, one of the gunmen shot the couple as the entered the house. The robbers left with jewelry and a laptop, and drove away in the couple’s white Ford Lynx with Criselda. The vehicle was recovered by the police at West Avenue this morning at 4 a.m.

Tioseco was a faculty member of the arts department of the University of the Asia and the Pacific and was a regular contributor for several magazines and top newspapers, including the Philippine Daily Inquirer and the Philippine Star.

Tioseco, who met Bohinc on a trip to Slovenia, wrote in his column, “it is important for people to write about their own cinemas and not let it be left to those outside to dictate what matters.”

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 478
« Reply #2266 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 03:53 PM »
panooring nyo yung Kimmy Dora starring Eugene Domingo! pampatanggal ng stress! nakakatawa at magaling ang portrayal ni eugene! pagalabas namin ng sine, ang gaan ng pakiramdam!  :D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2267 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 11:35 AM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2268 on: Sep 07, 2009 at 04:57 PM »
Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang (Lino Brocka) **** - This is not my favorite Lino Brocka film but it is indeed one of his major works and it's still relevant to this day which is a testament to its greatness. The film exposes the hypocrisy of people in a town through the eyes of a young man (Christopher de Leon) after he befriends the two town outcasts, a leper (Mario O'Hara - I didn't know he was also a pretty darn good actor) and a mentally ill woman (Lolita Rodriguez - a fantastic performance).

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2269 on: Sep 08, 2009 at 12:12 PM »
Mario O is a great actor; between this, his role opposite Lolita (again) in Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa, his Jacobean turn in Stardoom, he's burnt a tiny but bright trajectory through '70s cinema.

His theater performances are worth looking at, too.

Tinimbang is unusual in that it's a panoramic view whereas most of Lino's films are more intimate. It's Brocka's vengeance on the town that maltreated him when he was growing up.

A lot of it is Mario's screenplay, too. When O'Hara and Brocka collaborate, the characterization is just that much more complex, less starkly good and evil, black and white. Best evidence of this is to my money their best collaboration ever, Insiang.

Know all kinds of gossip about the production too. One of the actresses had this enormous crush on Mario O. Knew he was sleeping in the bell tower of the town church--made her way quietly to that tower, snuck inside. Turns out he was already with another cast member of the film.

Incidentally the key to the real Mario O is Bertong Ketong. He's really like that, in real life.

I believe David Hanan considers this one of his top ten favorite films. I do like it enormously, msyelf.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2270 on: Sep 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM »

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2271 on: Sep 12, 2009 at 12:18 AM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Gawad Urian 2009
« Reply #2273 on: Sep 12, 2009 at 09:32 PM »
Indies dominated this year's nominees for GAWAD URIAN. I still have to get the invitation from Teddy Co for the event on Saturday. Direk PEQUE GALLAGA is this year's recipient for the Lifetime Achievement Award.  ;)

2009 Gawad Urian nominees announced
THE MANUNURI ng Pelikulang Pilipino, the society of respected film critics, has announced the nominees for the 32nd annual Gawad Urian for excellence in filmmaking. Winners will be announced in colorful award ceremonies on September 19 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

Nominated for best picture are:

Francis Xavier Pasion’s Jay – about a tv journalist who, in seeking to tell the real story behind the killing of a closet homosexual, proceeds to cut corners and embellish the story.
Brillante Mendoza’s Serbis – the first Filipino film in 25 year’s to break into the Cannes International Film Festival (in 2008). It is about the decline of a family as reflected in a rundown town cinemahouse they run which shows cheap sex films.
Arnel Mardoquio’s Hunghong sa Yuta – about war and peace in Mindanao as seen through the eyes of deaf-mute children
Lav Diaz’s Melancholia – an eight-hour pastoral meditation on love, life and suffering
Ellen Ongkeko-Marfil’s Boses – about how an abused child is rehabilitated through the power of music.
Sherad Anthony Sanchez’s Imburnal – a bucolic but mordant romp through the dirty creeks and grimy alleys of Davao City.
Richard Somes’s Yanggaw – about a poor Negros family’s devastation after they start to believe that their daughter has become an “asuwang” (creature of the netherworld).
The nominees are:

Best sound: Hunghong sa Yuta, Serbis (Emmanuel Nolet Clemente), Ploning (Albert Michael idioma), Yanggaw (Romy Lopez and Eduardo Velasques), Boses (Allan Hilado), Adela (Ditoy Aguila and Mark Locsin), Melancholia (Jay Ramirez)

Best music: Boses (Jourdann Petalver), Konsyerto, Ploning (Jessie Lasaten), Imburnal (Eric Gancio), Brutus (Joey Ayala), Yanggaw (Von de Guzman), Kolorete (Diwa de Leon), Hunghong sa Yuta (Popong Landero)

Best editing: Jay (Chuck Guttierez, Francis Xavier Pasion, and Kats Serraon), Huling Pasada (Maui Mauricio and Jesson Yap), Serbis (Claire Villa-Real), Yanggaw (Borgy Torre), 100 (Ike Veneracion), Motorcycle (Ria de Guzman), Ploning (Danny Anonuevo), Imburnal (Sherad Anthony Sanchez)

Best cinematography: Yanggaw (Herman Claraval and Lyle Sacris), Serbis (Odyssey Flores), Jay (Carlo Mendoza), Huling Pasada (Dan Villegas), Ploning (Charlie Peralta), Melancolia, Boses (Nap Jamir), Imburnal (Jase Bagqane Fiola, Joel Geolamen, Mark Limbaga and John Torres), Adela (Albert Banzon), Brutus (Jay Abello), Hunghong sa Yuta (Egay Navarro)

Best production design: Melancholia (Lav Diaz), Yanggaw (Donald Russ Camon and Michal N. Espanol), Jay (Joy Puntawe), Baby Angelo (Cristina Honrado), Serbis (Benjamin Padero and
Carlo Tabije), Hunghong sa Yuta, Ploning (Raymund George Fernandez), Imburnal (Joel Geolamen)

Best supporting actress: Tessie Tomas, 100; Katherine Luna, Imoral; Techie Agbayani and Aleera Montalla, Yanggaw; Flor Salanga, Jay; Agot Isidro, Huling Pasada

Best supporting actor: Coco Martin, Jay; Julio Diaz, Serbis; Yul Servo, Brutus; Roeder Camanag, Melancholia; Archie Aleman, Baby Angelo

Best actress: Mylene Dizon, 100; Judy Ann Santos, Ploning; Gina Pareno and Jaclyn Jose, Serbis; Angeli Bayani, Melancholia; Rhea Medina, Brutus; Boots Anson Roa, Lovebirds; Anita Linda, Adela

Best actor: Baron Geisler, Jay; Julian Duque, Boses; Coco Martin and Paulo Rivero, Daybreak; Ronnie Lazaro, Yanggaw; Timothy Mabalot, Brutus; Perry Dizon, Melancholia; Neil Ryan See, Huling Pasada

Best screenplay: Richard V. Somes and Dwight Gaston, Yanngaw; Francis Xavier Pasion, Jay; Armando Lao and Boots Agbayani Pastor, Serbis; Lav Diaz, Melancholia; Arnel Mardoquio, Hunghong sa Yuta; Froilan Medina and Rody Vera, Boses

Best director: Arnel Mardoquio, Hunghong sa Yuta; Sherad Anthony Sanchez, Imburnal; Richard Somes, Yanggaw; Francis Xavier Pasion, Jay; Tara Illenberger, Brutus; Lav Diaz, Melancholia; Brillante Mendoza, Serbis; Ellen Ongkeko-Marfil, Boses; Adolfo Alix Jr., Imoral

Best picture: Jay (Cinemalaya), Serbis (Centerstage Productions); Hunghong sa Yuta (Brothers of the Sacred Heart Youth Ministry); Melancholia (Sine Olivia); Boses (Casa San Miguel); Imburnal (Cinemaone Original and Creative Programs); Yanggaw (Cinemaone Originals and Creative Programs)

The Manunuri is chaired by Rolando Tolentino, dean of the UP College of Mass Communication. Vice-chair is Gigi Javier, chancellor of the UP Open University. Members are Nicanor Tiongson, former artistic director of the CCP and chairman of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board; National Artist for Literature Bienvenido Lumbera; Mario Hernando, Sunday Malaya editor and MTRCB member; Mike Rapatan of De la Salle University; columnist and television personality Butch Francisco; Lito Zulueta, Inquirer editor and faculty member at the University of Santo Tomas; and Benilda Santos and Tito Valiente of the Ateneo de Manila University.

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2009 at 10:42 AM by keating »

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2274 on: Sep 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM »
Go Adela for Best Sound!  ;D
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+429)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1256
« Reply #2275 on: Sep 13, 2009 at 07:29 AM »
Congrats for the nomination, Ditoy! :)

Reading the article posted by keating, I just found out my brother is also nominated for best editing for Huling Pasada. :)

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2276 on: Sep 13, 2009 at 04:29 PM »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 478
« Reply #2277 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 09:03 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Gawad Urian 2009 Winners
« Reply #2278 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 12:10 AM »
Gawad Urian 2009 Cream of the Crop:

Natatanging Gawad Urian/Lifetime Achievement Award- PEQUE GALLAGA

Best Actress- MYLENE DIZON (100)
Best Actor- RONNIE LAZARO (Yanggaw)
Best Picture- SERBIS (Centerstage Productions)
Best Director- BRILLANTE MENDOZA (Serbis)
Best Screenplay- FRANCIS XAVIER PASION (Jay)
Best Supporting Actor- COCO MARTIN (Jay)
Best Supporting Actress- ALEERA MONTALLA (Yanggaw)
Best Production Design- BENJAMIN PEDERO & CARLO TABIJE (Serbis)
Best Cinematography- ODYSSEY FLORES (Serbis)
Best Editing- CHUCK GUTIERREZ, FRANCIS PASION, KATS, SERRAON (Jay)
Best Music- POPONG LADERO (Hunghong sa Yuta)
Best Sound- ROMY LOPEZ & EDUARDO VELASQUES (Yanggaw)
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2009 at 12:16 AM by keating »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2279 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 12:56 AM »
Go Adela for Best Sound!  ;D

Congratulation bro Ditoy!  ;)