Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500200 times)

Offline R2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2400 on: May 15, 2010 at 03:36 AM »
AGUILA
Eddie Romero, 1980
Arguably one of the best Filipino films ever produced, Romero's epic tried to tell snippets of our nation's history as seen through the life and times of a family patriarch. Played by no less than FPJ himself, the part required him to age from a young orphaned child into an octogenarian recluse, and offered him one of the richest roles in his distinguished career. Playing alongside him is an equally big-name cast,the likes of Christopher De Leon,Amalia Fuentes,Eddie Garcia,to name a few.
The story and screenplay,like most of Romero's oeuvres,is it's main draw: quite profound and compelling, despite a long running time,and touched on many subjects that remains relevant to this day: greed and corruption,immorality and religious hypocrisy,heroism and star-crossed loves,naive idealism and sexual liberation,the search for the true meaning of life. I haven't seen enough of Poe's large catalogue of films, but I'm sure not one of them features the highly-esteemed actor as,at one point in this film,a philandering husband.
The project's big budget also showed in its very good production values,and with credits like Mike De Leon as cinematographer and musical score by Ryan Cayabyab, it won't be suprising.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010 at 03:43 AM by R2 »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2402 on: May 15, 2010 at 07:51 AM »
I don't know about best Filipino film ever but it has to be hands down the best thing Romero ever did. And it looks a lot handsomer than Ganito.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2403 on: May 15, 2010 at 05:07 PM »
I also like Aguila.  It's one of a few good pinoy epics. Not a fan of the [over] use of the theme song though.

BTW, saw Panggagahasa Kay Fe. I like it. Reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth.  The storytelling is a bit clunky though...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010 at 05:08 PM by rse »

Offline R2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2404 on: May 15, 2010 at 07:52 PM »
I don't know about best Filipino film ever but it has to be hands down the best thing Romero ever did. And it looks a lot handsomer than Ganito.

My exact words were: "Arguably one of the best Filipino films ever produced,..." Still, it's nice to hear that a lot of people liked this movie.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2405 on: May 19, 2010 at 09:26 AM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2406 on: May 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM »
Nandito Ako...Nagmamahal sa Iyo
I can't believe that this is by Maryo J. De Los Reyes and that it's Rated B.  Aside from the beautiful location (Bohol), this is pure soap...and not a good one at that.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2407 on: May 26, 2010 at 01:28 AM »
Saw Laurice Guillen's Kung mahawi man ang ulap.  It's komiks through and through. In its own universe it kinda works.  I just found out that they made a telenovela based on this.  How's that compared to this?

Offline T33K0Y

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2408 on: May 26, 2010 at 02:22 AM »
Chiquito films:

- Mang Kepweng
- Estong Tutong (remember PILING? ;D)
- Mr. Wong

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2410 on: Jun 04, 2010 at 09:30 PM »
AGUILA
Eddie Romero, 1980
Arguably one of the best Filipino films ever produced, Romero's epic tried to tell snippets of our nation's history as seen through the life and times of a family patriarch. Played by no less than FPJ himself, the part required him to age from a young orphaned child into an octogenarian recluse, and offered him one of the richest roles in his distinguished career. Playing alongside him is an equally big-name cast,the likes of Christopher De Leon,Amalia Fuentes,Eddie Garcia,to name a few.
The story and screenplay,like most of Romero's oeuvres,is it's main draw: quite profound and compelling, despite a long running time,and touched on many subjects that remains relevant to this day: greed and corruption,immorality and religious hypocrisy,heroism and star-crossed loves,naive idealism and sexual liberation,the search for the true meaning of life. I haven't seen enough of Poe's large catalogue of films, but I'm sure not one of them features the highly-esteemed actor as,at one point in this film,a philandering husband.
The project's big budget also showed in its very good production values,and with credits like Mike De Leon as cinematographer and musical score by Ryan Cayabyab, it won't be suprising.

It has a tag price of P6M during its time. The costliest so far for a Filipino film. I like the flashback and good pacing of the film. And its good evocation of time and place. Low-key acting and with a powerhouse cast. The print that Cinema One shows is in excellent condition.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2411 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 04:17 PM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2413 on: Jun 11, 2010 at 03:36 PM »

Offline Krenn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2414 on: Jun 14, 2010 at 06:37 PM »
Recently seen Tirador. Oh, if only most of Brilliante's flicks are like this...
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2010 at 06:38 PM by Krenn »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2415 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 04:04 PM »
Personally I had problems with Tirador. Much prefer his earlier work.

Talking about Mario O'Hara's Three Years w/o God

Francis Coppola's Tetro

Offline fitz_gerald

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2416 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 06:40 PM »
Just saw LAMAN by Direk Maryo J. delos Reyes and it's a pretty good film with an R-Rating.  All the four lead stars were really good in playing their respective role but I'm quite disturbed with how the female lead (Lolita de Leon) spill her lines especially in the begging scene (which reminds me of Keanna Reeves).  Acting wise, she's so natural given her character as a probinsyana wife to Yul Servo's character.  I found Yul Servo is at his best in the film.  You'll feel the pain when he agreed to share his wife with his bestfriend (Albert Martinez' character).  He nailed the character of innocent-naive one-woman man and can't stand the harsh reality he's going through that he never even imagined in his wildest dream.  

What's good about the movie is it doesn't contain lots of subplots and loopholes.  The musical scoring gave me the same haunting feeling when I saw Scorpio Nights but obviously this is less superior to the latter and well I'm expecting the movie to end tragic.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010 at 07:12 PM by fitz_gerald »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2417 on: Jun 17, 2010 at 01:21 AM »
I liked Laman a lot. I don't remember any lines spilled (what does that mean again?), but Lolita did spill out of her bra. And neckline. And underwear. And pretty much anything and everything she wore. ;D

Offline Krenn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2418 on: Jun 18, 2010 at 01:35 PM »
Personally I had problems with Tirador. Much prefer his earlier work.

It's not a perfect film per se but I preferred it a lot from what I have seen.

Tirador - 9/10

Kaleldo - 6.5/10
Masahista - 6/10
Serbis - 4/10

I can't wait to see Manoro, Lola and Foster Child. No interest to see Kinatay.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2419 on: Jun 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM »
Manoro and Foster Child I think are his best works.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2420 on: Jun 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM »

I can't wait to see Manoro, Lola and Foster Child. No interest to see Kinatay.

LOLA just blew me away. Anita Linda and Rustica Carpio both gave memorable and hypnotic performances from start to finish especially Anita Linda.

In KINATAY you feel the tension and suspense on the edge. Next on my watch lists...Aureaus Solito's BOY.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010 at 12:46 PM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2421 on: Jun 26, 2010 at 12:08 AM »
LOLA just blew me away. Anita Linda and Rustica Carpio both gave memorable and hypnotic performances from start to finish especially Anita Linda.

In KINATAY you feel the tension and suspense on the edge. Next on my watch lists...Aureaus Solito's BOY.

I also think that Kinatay and Lola are great.  Kinatay is shot like a suspense-horror.  The violence is not at all gratuitous and not a explicit as you may expect (compared for example to Saw movies).  Lola is more of a social realism.  I like its use of location.  It also captured the feel of monsoon season very well.  My minor complaint is that there's one to many "walking" scenes, he he he.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2422 on: Jun 27, 2010 at 06:36 AM »
How did you find the ending of LOLA? Did you like it RSE? I thought Anita Linda will still stick to her principles. I was disappointed.

The rain shots were all remarkable and add to the poignant touch of the movie.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2423 on: Jun 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM »
How did you find the ending of LOLA? Did you like it RSE? I thought Anita Linda will still stick to her principles. I was disappointed.

The rain shots were all remarkable and add to the poignant touch of the movie.

I like the ending.  The scene with them talking while the daughter was ordering food is very well executed.  I think that she doesn't really have a choice but to accept the money.  They're in dire need of it.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #2424 on: Jun 28, 2010 at 09:38 AM »
I have a question about LOLA.

SPOILERS

In Philippine law, can you really just drop charges on a murder/homicide and the perpetrator can be released just like that? Or was this just for dramatic purposes?

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2425 on: Jun 28, 2010 at 11:34 PM »
What happens is that the private complainant (the family of the victim) will execute an Affidavit of Desistance, which will be sworn with the fiscal, and the same will be filed with the court, but it is still up to the judge to decide whether or not the case will be dismissed.

The desistance is only for the civil aspect of the criminal case though, which is why the judge still has to decide whether or not the case will be dismissed on the sole basis of the affidavit of desistance.

The ending of Lola can happen, but should not happen.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2426 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 02:01 PM »

Disappointed in her character? I agree. Not disappointed with the movie, though. The more I think about Lola, that is the further away it gets from all the politics that  mar its reputation (the  charge that it was "made" for the festivals, the alleged exoticizing of poverty, the heightened consciousness that this is post-Bing Lao Brillante and therefore below par for it etc.)  the better it's becoming as a work. This is one time it helps to adopt the stance of an outsider/foreigner in watching a film. The last shot was brilliant, I thought. Almost as much as the last shot of Kinatay.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010 at 02:03 PM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2428 on: Jul 10, 2010 at 05:32 PM »
Hey Dodo, was Raymond Red also a pioneer of the indie revolution? Why is it that he was not included on the book?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2429 on: Jul 11, 2010 at 01:58 PM »
Me and Oggs are frankly getting a bit tired of this controversy, keating. I head it was the talk of the town over at Cinemalayaville. :)

Yes Raymond is a pioneer of the indie revolution. But he isn't a pioneer nor an active practitioner (until late 2009 and possibly Imahe Nation) of the digital indie revolution. He's never been a true blue advocate of it, in fact. He himself will admit this.

And even if he was, this isn't that kind of book. It's a book of interviews. Nothing more nothing less. 90% iof the words you will read are by Lav,Kidlat,Rox, Rico, Raya, Adolf, Paolo and Ellen, Mes, Ato, Ditsi, Aureus, John, Jeffrey and Brillante.

Done talking about this book. And only because you asked, keating. Going to let the book speak for itself. As it should.  ;D