Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500311 times)

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Filipino films
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2003 at 11:21 AM »
Oops, Garp beat me to it!  :)

I wonder how the Babalu movie ended? The Mexican film took a very dark turn near the end. But the Babalu movie was a practical carbon, albeit funnier, I thought. There was also a chicken-eating scene in the Babalu film, right?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003 at 11:21 AM by X44 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2003 at 11:40 AM »
Ang dami ko nang nakalimutan doon sa movie na yun. Only the scenes with the old man still stick with me because it was a little too weird especially when I saw it. I think I was about five years old then.

What I really want to track down though was the movie I mentioned with the actress and the mirror. All three stories were real headtrips. Weird talaga, especially the story with the three aliens. I also remember that the story started at an office and how they see three beings flying in the sky. Oh! and the actress turns out to be some superhero of sorts.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2003 at 04:20 PM »
Jeez, those obscure Pinoy films you mentioned made me think of these two movies I would always catch in the afternoons of my childhood.

One was a movie that had three separate stories that all starred Ariel Ureta. I think one story had him playing the role of a Filipino Popeye.

The other film is far more surreal. It was also a movie with three separate stories and starred this actress. I can't remember the first story anymore but the second story had three aliens appearing in the kitchen of the actress' house. Two of the aliens were women and one was a male with a big bald head and acts all bratty. The last story was the creepiest as it told of a handheld mirror that brings some sort of female monster and the only way to destroy the monster was to break the mirror. The climax had the mirror being shattered but at the final frame when we all think everything will be alright, there is a closeup of the mirror mending itself.

These are two movies that have more or less haunted my childhood because I don't know the titles for one but more importantly, the stories were surreal, and in the case of the second movie, was just too weird and malevolent for a child to watch.

Bro indie boi...I think the woman was TRIXIA GOMEZ as Super Elektrika or something like that. Her villain is Chanda Romero who has a mirror as her powerful device against Elektrika.

I've watch this when I was small also in Channel 13. THis is what I call one of the best FILIPINO B-MOVIES.

The effects are amazing and fun to watch!

And the alien story are really so weird!

I doubt if they could duplicate or repeat those kind of movies again....

My childhood memories always good to look back and recall!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003 at 04:24 PM by keating »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2003 at 04:51 PM »
Yeah I know that. Elektrika Kasi Eh, I think, is the full title.

Jimmy Santos played a Mummy here and Gina Pareno played an ape-woman. I remember there was a big fuss over the make-up which was Planet of the Ape-ish.

Trixia Gomez used to be quite the hottie,eh? ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003 at 04:53 PM by X44 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2003 at 06:42 PM »
Bro X44 got it right!

I was scared while watching the mummy running after...sorry I forgot the next scene already.

Will somebody on channel 13 show it again, paging...indie boi!

This was many...many...many...years ago!

Yup...Trixia Gomez was one of the sex symbols before.
70's yata ito, was she in the cast of TEMPTATION ISLAND with Dina Bonnevie, Azenith Briones?  ???

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: May 06, 2003 at 07:16 PM »
Yup she was. Another movie to catch if it ever plays on cable again.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: May 06, 2003 at 07:17 PM »
Yep, it looks like it was the movie title.  ;D

Coolness! Galing mo Keating! How can you have remembered that? Pati ikaw X, supporting characters naaalala mo pa!

I'll ask my friend at 13 baka makakuha ako ng copy if they still have it. Kahit na magkano siguro babayaran ko.  ;D

And yes, Trixia Gomez was absolutely one hot babe. I've even come to associate the name Trixia with someone who is sensual.

Maybe someone here can post a picture of Ms. Gomez.  :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: May 06, 2003 at 07:23 PM »
Bro, memorable movies hindi pwede kalimutan.  ;D

And baka pwede i-copy mo na rin ako?  ;D

I would like to watch it again complete with Dolby-surrond sound on my little home theatre at home.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: May 06, 2003 at 07:30 PM »
No problem pare, I'll ask my friend if it's possible. I'll keep you posted.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: May 06, 2003 at 08:26 PM »
No problem pare, I'll ask my friend if it's possible. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks indie boi.  8)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003 at 08:35 PM by keating »

Offline TSGarp

• Collector
  • Doh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2003 at 10:31 PM »
Oops, Garp beat me to it!  :)

I wonder how the Babalu movie ended? The Mexican film took a very dark turn near the end. But the Babalu movie was a practical carbon, albeit funnier, I thought. There was also a chicken-eating scene in the Babalu film, right?

Ok lang yun, X44, napabilis lang pagtype ko.  ;D

I don't know why I still remember the final scene of this movie, I was like 10 years old when I saw this movie on tv. Anyway it ends when the old man took Babalu into a cave filled with lighted candles. The old man gave Babalu a candle that was about to filcker out and die. Babalu was told that all the candles in the cave represents the lives of the people. The one he's holding was his own candle. Frightened, he ran out of the the cave holding his candle, then stops and waits for the candle to die out.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2003 at 10:36 PM »

I don't know why I still remember the final scene of this movie, I was like 10 years old when I saw this movie on tv. Anyway it ends when the old man took Babalu into a cave filled with lighted candles. The old man gave Babalu a candle that was about to filcker out and die. Babalu was told that all the candles in the cave represents the lives of the people. The one he's holding was his own candle. Frightened, he ran out of the the cave holding his candle, then stops and waits for the candle to die out.

Thanks for reminding me about that scene, Garp! Now I remember why that film stuck to my head. It was because of that sad ending (well, I think it was a sad ending). I think it was the first comedy I saw that ended on a sad, if enigmatic, note.

Offline TSGarp

• Collector
  • Doh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2003 at 10:43 PM »
Thanks for reminding me about that scene, Garp! Now I remember why that film stuck to my head. It was because of that sad ending (well, I think it was a sad ending). I think it was the first comedy I saw that ended on a sad, if enigmatic, note.

You're welcome, IndieBoi  ;D

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2003 at 09:54 PM »
I miss the guy too gurang. It was a pleasant treat when I caught May Lamok sa Loob ng Kulambo yesterday. The lightning quick repartee was still as funny. Zialcita was well-known for his Janice de Belen movies then but I think he is the master of the sex-comedy. Too bad he had to ruin his career with drugs.

Sabi ni Noel Vera plagiarist daw si Zialcita. I hope he'd explain it though.

Paging Mr. Vera.

Since Noel Vera has not yet responded to this post, let me share what I read about the plagiarism issue with Zialcita.

In 1979, Danny Zialcita's Ikaw at ang Gabi won URIAN awards for Best Picture and Best Director. It was later found out that the movie was a blatant copy of a TV movie called Torn Between Two Lovers from Hollywood. Some sequences were copied shot by shot. Another Zialcita movie Si Malakas, Si Maganda at si Mahinhin was also a direct copy of an American film called A Different Story. Most critics do agree that Zialcita's versions were much improved compared to the originals. Danny Zialcita is best remembered for his 'malulutong' na dialogues in his movies and for turning Dindo Fernando into gay in Mahinhin series and Nora Aunor a lesbian in T-Bird at Ako. Other Zialcita movies are Langis at Tubig with Vilma Santos and Dindo Fernando, Tinimbang ang Langit with Christopher de Leon and Kuh Ledesma, Kabiyak with Pinky de Leon, Nagalit ang Buwan sa Haba ng Gabi with Laurice Guillen and Dear Heart with Sharon Cuneta and Gabby Concepcion.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2003 at 09:30 PM by pinoymovies »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2003 at 10:21 PM »
Thanks for the info on Zialcita and the plagiarism issue.

I didn't know Zialcita helmed T-Bird at Ako. Ricky Lee had an amusing anecdote about La Aunor and Santos while shooting this movie. Apparently, during one of the shooting days Santos arrived first on the set and had to wait for Aunor. On the next shooting day, to get even, Santos came deliberately late, so obviously Aunor had to wait. To resolve the issue of lateness, the alalays of both camps had to use walkie-talkies to keep each other informed as to how near they are to the set so that both stars will arrive at exactly the same time.  :)

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: May 08, 2003 at 12:00 AM »

Yeah,I remember this now.
And this is the exact same ending as the Mexican movie!
I love it when thing slike this happen. . .hehehe. . .  :D

Major thanks, Garp!  ;D

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
Re:Danny Zialcita
« Reply #316 on: May 08, 2003 at 01:22 PM »
Since Noel Vera has not yet responded to this post, let me share what I read about the plagiarism issue with Zialcita.

In 1979, Danny Zialcita's Ikaw at ang Gabi won URIAN awards for Best Picture and Best Director. It was later found out that the movie was a blatant copy of a TV movie called Torn Between Two Lovers from Hollywood. Some sequences were copied shot by shot. Another Zialcita movie Si Malakas, Si Maganda at si Mahinhin was also a direct copy of an American film called A Different Story. Most critics do agree that Zialcita's versions were much improved compared to the originals. Danny Zialcita is best remembered for her 'malulutong' na dialogues in his movies and for turning Dindo Fernando into gay in Mahinhin series and Nora Aunor a lesbian in T-Bird at Ako. Other Zialcita movies are Langis at Tubig with Vilma Santos and Dindo Fernando, Tinimbang ang Langit with Christopher de Leon and Kuh Ledesma, Kabiyak with Pinky de Leon, Nagalit ang Buwan sa Haba ng Gabi with Laurice Guillen and Dear Heart with Sharon Cuneta and Gabby Concepcion.

If he merely adapted those two US movies then transliterated it to a local setting, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If he adapted exact scenes, he could have done it as an acadmic exercise (just like Van Sant in Psycho) and not because he had no original ideas.

is he still alive, btw?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: May 08, 2003 at 07:10 PM »
I think he is. He attempted a comeback about five years ago. But he had another drug relapse.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: May 10, 2003 at 06:53 PM »
I remember watching The Lydia De Vega Story , starring Lydia de Vega, when I was a kid. Don't really remember much about it, except being stricken by how much a hardass Tatang de Vega was towards Lydia. Does anybody remember who played Tatang? And if I recall correctly, the movie was not some run of the mill quickie, but a prestige effort by a name director, though I don't know such details anymore.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: May 10, 2003 at 06:59 PM »
The guy who played tatang de vega's name is at the tip of my tongue. I can't seem to spit it out. He was one of the more acclaimed senior actors then. He was also a director. I can see his face in my mind but the name truly escapes me or his other works.

I hate it when this happens.  :(

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2003 at 08:57 PM »
The guy who played tatang de vega's name is at the tip of my tongue. I can't seem to spit it out. He was one of the more acclaimed senior actors then. He was also a director. I can see his face in my mind but the name truly escapes me or his other works.

I hate it when this happens.  :(
pare baka makagat mo pa dila mo si Tony Santos Sr. ata tinutukoy mo.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: May 10, 2003 at 09:30 PM »
Thanks, that's the guy.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2003 at 12:59 AM »
Si Tony Santos Sr., nga siguro.

I think he also played Melanie Marquez's dad, Temyong Marquez, in The Melanie Marquez Story. I remember wondering why Temyong didn't play himself, while Totoy Marquez of Alaska did play himself as Melanie's brother. There was one scene wherein Tony Santos smashes a beer bottle on Totoy Marquez's face, and I said, Totoy must be thinking at that moment, I left the PBA for this?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2003 at 07:43 AM »
Yup, he also played Temyong Marquez in Melanie Marquez's film bio. I still remember Marquez's pretty awkward speech when she received the best actress award for the movie at the MMFF. Her infamous inarticulateness showed itself again that night. I can't remember everything verbatim, but she mentioned something about the Sto. Nino and then showed her son as the sto. nino or something. She must've been drunk.

Oh, and she performed a dance number. But she chose this traditional spanish dance that lulled the audience to sleep.

Offline GL2814

• Collector
  • In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: May 13, 2003 at 06:16 AM »
I still remember Marquez's pretty awkward speech when she received the best actress award for the movie at the MMFF. Her infamous inarticulateness showed itself again that night. I can't remember everything verbatim, but she mentioned something about the Sto. Nino and then showed her son as the sto. nino or something. She must've been drunk.

Oh, and she performed a dance number. But she chose this traditional spanish dance that lulled the audience to sleep.

Aha! And one time she would also like to thank God for 'my long-legged.'

Offline bedan_debater

• Apprentice
  • Deductive Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: May 15, 2003 at 10:41 AM »
Minsan May Isang Gamu-Gamo

Jaguar

Maynila, sa Kuko ng Liwanag

Ora Pronobis

Oro, Plata, Mata

Himala

Muro-Ami

Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang

These are my favorite Filipino films

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: May 24, 2003 at 11:50 AM »
Stupid question: what was the name of that Gladys Reyes movie which was a rip-off of Carrie?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: May 24, 2003 at 12:42 PM »
It was a forgettable flick...Bro Gurang.

No need to mention it.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2003 at 11:57 PM »
It was a forgettable flick...Bro Gurang.

No need to mention it.  ;D ;D ;D

Haven't seen it myself. But a friend of mine was recounting it, and she couldn't remember the name.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: May 28, 2003 at 02:45 PM »
I hear that Eric Matti is set to direct the sequel to
Mano Po.