Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500184 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Filipino films
« Reply #570 on: Feb 15, 2004 at 02:05 PM »
Here's a link to an article about Sampaguita Picture's efforts in finding and preserving their old movies. Click here to read the article.

What an interesting article. Very frustrating too. I wonder how LVN's doing and if Mike de Leon's pushing through with his plan to put-up a restoration facility.  

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #571 on: Feb 15, 2004 at 06:32 PM »
I doubt if Batang West Side will have a commercial release. First, movie distributors will not get it, second, it's a five-hour movie with no special effects, gratuitous violence or excessive sex -- at most you can only fit in three sceenings of the movie every day -- not a good financial proposition.

I hope to be proven wrong though.

Might be true...indie boi.

I'll just wait for the dvd release if ever it comes out.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #572 on: Feb 29, 2004 at 01:59 PM »
Magkano ang iyong Dangal  ???

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #573 on: Feb 29, 2004 at 04:48 PM »
Speaking of Mike de Leon, caught up Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising last Friday during Cinema Paraiso Film Fest at NCCA in Intramuros. It's a nice film, semi-bittersweet, but I was disappointed at the resolution. More of anticlimactic, but somehow resolved, anyway. I was hoping a confrontation between Boyet's character and Hilda's hubby--a typical ending to a Filipino romance movie.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #574 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 05:05 AM »
Speaking of Mike de Leon, caught up Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising last Friday during Cinema Paraiso Film Fest at NCCA in Intramuros. It's a nice film, semi-bittersweet, but I was disappointed at the resolution. More of anticlimactic, but somehow resolved, anyway. I was hoping a confrontation between Boyet's character and Hilda's hubby--a typical ending to a Filipino romance movie.

I actually enjoyed Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising... it's a refreshing follow-up movie to Mike de Leon's first film the supernatural thriller Itim. It's a light romantic drama with an engaging performance by Hilda Koronel.  ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #575 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 06:15 AM »
Who stars in Magkano ang Iyong Dangal?

Magkano Ang Iyong Dangal? starred Christopher de Leon, Zsazsa Padilla, Joel Torre, Princess Punzalan & jestoni Alarcon directed by Laurice Guillen & produced by Seiko Films.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #576 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 01:28 PM »
Cahiers du Cinema issued this April an Atlas on World Cinema that has got a piece of mine in it, an assessment of Philippine film industry (and the year's best films) for 2003. No online edition, unfortunately, but I'm sure big-city bookstores and libraries would have a copy...

Incidentally, the best picture of that year, "Babae sa Breakwater" (Woman of the Breakwater) has been invited to the Director's Fortnight. First Filipino feature film to make it to Cannes since, I believe, Lino Brocka's "Orapronobis" (Fight for Us, 1989).

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #577 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 04:24 PM »
Ferdie Lapuz set-up last year a distribution company based in Canada and he currently represents the ff Filipino films : Babae sa Breakwater, Duda, Bridal Shower and Magnifico. As what I've read from his correspondences with Maryo and Jeff, Babae is really planned to have a European premiere first before going to other fests.

Noel, where can I secure a copy of that Atlas issued by Cahiers du Cinema?

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #578 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 05:33 PM »
And from what I heard, someone's (dunno who) planning to release this on DVD.

As I've said it's not certain...is there someone who can confirm this and kill the rumor?

Noel Vera and I met with Batang West Side's producer 2 years ago and talked about a DVD release after the theater run. PinoyDVD was the first to offer it at that time. We had verbal though admittedly non-binding agreement to work on it. Unfortunately, the commercial run never happened for the film so the plans for the video release never materialized.

Too bad. I still feel that the DVD set would've done well given the hype at that time.

Regarding the 2-disc set, we proposed that format given the length of the film. We were told though that any attempt to split BW would probably be an issue with Lav. He really meant for it to be seen in one sitting.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2004 at 08:09 AM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #579 on: Apr 30, 2004 at 02:05 AM »
I don't know where the atlas du cinema would be available...I'd check the university libraries and film departments, they might have copies. Oh, and Alliance Francais, and perhaps the French Embassy.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #580 on: May 19, 2004 at 12:24 AM »
Pinoy movies to look forward to this year...

Hugos - Maryo J. delos Reyes penned by Michiko the Great. Will star the members of Bohol Boy's Choir
Naglalayag - Maryo J. delos Reyes  starring Nora Aunor
Ebolusyon - Lav Diaz, tapos na siya! yay!
Babang Luksa - Jeffrey Jeturian
Pagsapit ng Dilim - Jeffrey Jeturian
Usahay - Jeffrey Jeturian
Bikini Open - Jeffrey Jeturian
Volta - Wenn Deramas from Star Cinema
Zsa Zsa Zaturnah - baka kay Jeffrey Jeturian din...

Wala na akong balita kay Tikoy.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2004 at 12:26 AM by edsa77 »

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #581 on: May 19, 2004 at 07:26 PM »
Looks like it's going to be a good year for Filipino films. Parang taon yata ngayon ni Maryo de los Reyes and Jeffrey Jeturian. I'm so excited about NAGLALAYAG and PAGKAGAT NG DILIM (I've read somewhere that it will star Aleck Bovick and Jay Manalo) and USAHAY (to star Ara Mina and Jomari Yllana)

BTW, what's BABANG LUKSA all about?

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #582 on: Jun 09, 2004 at 09:48 PM »
Found an old Filipino movie ad up for bidding on eBay. Barilan sa Pugad Lawin starring Joseph Estrada and directed by Gerardo de Leon. Just click the url below to see it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3820636528

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #583 on: Jun 10, 2004 at 11:36 AM »
noel, anyone, what do you think of tatlo, dalawa, isa?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #584 on: Jun 10, 2004 at 11:56 AM »
noel, anyone, what do you think of tatlo, dalawa, isa?

Out of nowhere, just like that! ;D

Like most omnibus movies, a mixed bag. I thought the first was the weakest, even if it's the most verite, tho I do remember being tramuatized by the sight of Jay Ilagan being shorn of his hair when I first saw it. The second (Mario O'Hara's script) I thought very finely written and acted. But my favorite has to be the third, the gothic story--that one had everything, plus a gorgeous visual style that Cuaron would have approved (cinematography by Romy Vitug, and one of the rare instances where his beautiful camerawork was completely justified--in fact, actually helped enhance the telling of the story).

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #585 on: Jun 10, 2004 at 12:59 PM »

Out of nowhere, just like that! ;D

It was shown on free tv the other day, Noel  ;D

I only caught the last segment and I have to agree with your observations. Mary Walter and Lolita Rodriguez, as expected, acted wondefuly and the visual style was indeed gorgeous.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2004 at 01:16 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #586 on: Jun 10, 2004 at 01:28 PM »
O'Hara was excellent there too. I know actresses who confess that, even if they know he's gay, they have enormous crushes on him anyway.

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
CRITICS' COMMENTS on NAGLALAYAG
« Reply #587 on: Jun 12, 2004 at 02:20 PM »
Hi,

Allow me to share some comments culled from the CRITICS' NIGHT preview of Maryo de los Reyes' film NAGLALAYAG last Friday. This came from a member of the e-group ICON (International Circle of Online Noranians):

"In Naglalayag La Aunor proves to us that she is beyond formula and convention. Hers is a performance that is both touching and forceful, with a serene madness no other flight of fancy can escape."
- J. Pilapil Jacobo
Young Critics Circle Film Desk

"Mahusay ang pagkakagawa ng pelikula. Napakagaling ng acting ni Nora bilang judge."
- Bienvenido Lumbera
Manunuri ng Pelikung Pilipino

"The best performance of Nora Aunor since Bilangin ang Bituin sa
Langit."
- Patrick Flores

"Vitality and intelligent delivery among the major players—this film offers both high drama and thrills."
- DM. Reyes
Department of Filipino
Ateneo de Manila University

"Director Maryo J. de los Reyes helms another simple story targeted for the international market. Nora Aunor and Yul Servo aptly delivers in their role as a respected judge and an innocent taxi driver, respectively. While it is the trend to pair older men with younger female counterparts, Irma Dimaranan's screenplay seeks to challenge the norm and succeeds in doing so."
- Seymour Barros Sanchez
Film reviewer, Peyups.com and The Manila Times
(former editor in chief of the Philippine Collegian)

"Kaya pa pala ni Nora na magpakilig."
- Seymour Barros Sanchez

"After five years, Nora graces the big screen at her renewed best in a role that is testament to her maturity as the one true premier
actress of Philippine cinema."
- Nonoy Lauzon

"What will you expect but a very convincing performance as a judge from Ms. Nora Aunor."
- Philip Panganiban
Film reviewer

And from our very own Nikos Dacanay: "In Naglalayag, we finally see a different Nora Aunor, brave and confident, the Filipino woman of today. The movie is entertaining with a witty script that tackles May-December affair in a fresh manner. Yul Servo and Aleck Bovick proves in this movie that they were deserving of their acting awards."

Abangan natin ang full reviews ng critics quoted above. Ipinangako ni Patrick Flores ang kanyang review sa Manila Standard on June 22, a day before the regular showing. Biro rin niya, we may refer to Nonoy Lauzon as the ex-Vilmanian after Naglalayag. Sana ay may early review din si Gerard Ramos sa Today. Dr. Nanette Dungo, UP professor of sociology of women and labor, also attended the preview; she'll give her comments on the film later. Almost half of the guests who confirmed to attend didn't make it. (Kalokah!) They will have another
chance at the press preview this Thursday, 12 noon, also at
Sampaguita Pictures compound. FYI, napanood na nina Butch Francisco at Nestor Torre ang Naglalayag dahil members sila ng Cinema Evaluation Board.

Thanks.

Myke

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #588 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 11:10 PM »
Has any of you seen Anak Dalita?  Is it any good?  I saw a VHS on sale in Kabayan central and I'm a bit tempted to buy it...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #589 on: Jun 23, 2004 at 07:49 AM »
Anak Dalita is an excellent neorealist noir, no flashy filmmaking, but realistic with low-key acting throughout. Wasn't too crazy about the ending, though. It's better Avellana than his stylized but lifeless Portrait of an Artist as a Filipino (my favorite of his is probably Kundiman ng Lahi. Worth owning if it's a clear copy.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #590 on: Jun 23, 2004 at 12:26 PM »
Sayang si Nora sa Naglalayag. That's all I can say.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #591 on: Jul 08, 2004 at 03:36 PM »
I remember catching this circa 1970's heist movie starring the late Dindo Fernando on free TV. To my surprise, it was quite good and fairly riveting. It may actually be one of the best local action flicks I've seen so far. Now if only I could recall the title of the said film...

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Next Mario O' Hara film
« Reply #592 on: Jul 10, 2004 at 08:15 PM »
From Abante Tonite, may offer daw ang Warehouse Entertainment na script for Ms. Nora Aunor to be directed by the great Mario O' Hara. Gawin daw entry for the December filmfest. Sana, totoo.

Anybody here who got the juice from O'Hara's grapevine?

Myke

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #593 on: Jul 11, 2004 at 10:28 AM »
That Nora Aunor vehicle could be Hocloban, or Hangang Dito Na Lang at Maraming Salamat Po (I think Jojo tells me that), where she will play a man, perhaps a gay man. Or it could be Javellana's Without Seeing the Dawn.

Whatever it is, that's a very exciting prospect...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #594 on: Jul 11, 2004 at 08:05 PM »
That Nora Aunor vehicle could be Hocloban, or Hangang Dito Na Lang at Maraming Salamat Po (I think Jojo tells me that), where she will play a man, perhaps a gay man. Or it could be Javellana's Without Seeing the Dawn.

Whatever it is, that's a very exciting prospect...

i believe it's Javellana's Without Seeing The Dawn... although Ate Guy still hasn't read the script, but what she's really looking forward to doing is Hanggang Dito Na Lamang at Maraming Salamat Po.

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #595 on: Jul 11, 2004 at 09:25 PM »

i believe it's Javellana's Without Seeing The Dawn... although Ate Guy still hasn't read the script, but what she's really looking forward to doing is Hanggang Dito Na Lamang at Maraming Salamat Po.

Hi, Brod Jo!

I've read the book "Without Seeing The Dawn" when I was in high school. Hit me like a hurricane, that Javellana masterpiece. But as far as I remember, the two main characters in the novel were lovers whose lives were irrevocably ruined in the wake of the Japanese war. Pero parang hindi yata babagay sa edad ni Ms. Nora yung role ng babae kasi sa natantandaan ko mukhang in her 20s yong character. In fact, years later after reading the book, I thought that it would make a classic film at bagay na bagay si Dawn Zulueta, Sharmaine Arnaiz or Chin-Chin Gutierrez for the female protagonist. Sa panahon ngayon, feel ko mas swak yong role kay Katherine Luna, lalo na't siya ang flavor of the season ni Mario.

Mas feel ko na gawin ni Ms. Nora at Mario either "Hocloban" or "Hanggang Dito Na Lamang At Maraming Salamat Po." Palagay ko ang mga roles niya in these two scripts would showcase the best in her. Pardon me for being too nosy, but when you talked to Ms. Nora the last time, did you ask her perchance if there's gonna be any chances of her doing "Hocloban" soon? Atat na atat talaga ako na gawin niya itong pelikulang ito after Noel Vera shared a few tidbits about the script which he was lucky enough to read.

Thanks. God bless.

Myke

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #596 on: Jul 12, 2004 at 02:22 AM »

Hi, Brod Jo!

I've read the book "Without Seeing The Dawn" when I was in high school. Hit me like a hurricane, that Javellana masterpiece. But as far as I remember, the two main characters in the novel were lovers whose lives were irrevocably ruined in the wake of the Japanese war. Pero parang hindi yata babagay sa edad ni Ms. Nora yung role ng babae kasi sa natantandaan ko mukhang in her 20s yong character. In fact, years later after reading the book, I thought that it would make a classic film at bagay na bagay si Dawn Zulueta, Sharmaine Arnaiz or Chin-Chin Gutierrez for the female protagonist. Sa panahon ngayon, feel ko mas swak yong role kay Katherine Luna, lalo na't siya ang flavor of the season ni Mario.

Mas feel ko na gawin ni Ms. Nora at Mario either "Hocloban" or "Hanggang Dito Na Lamang At Maraming Salamat Po." Palagay ko ang mga roles niya in these two scripts would showcase the best in her. Pardon me for being too nosy, but when you talked to Ms. Nora the last time, did you ask her perchance if there's gonna be any chances of her doing "Hocloban" soon? Atat na atat talaga ako na gawin niya itong pelikulang ito after Noel Vera shared a few tidbits about the script which he was lucky enough to read.

Thanks. God bless.

Myke

Hello Myke!

I just read this morning that "Without Seeing The Dawn" will indeed star Katherine Luna in the role of Lucing. As far as I know there's no truth to the movie project being offered to Ate Guy by Entertainment Warehouse. I asked Ate Guy about the possibility of working with Mario O'Hara again. She didn't mention anything about "Hocloban" but she told me about "La Loba Negra." I think at one time she was really excited to make the movie but that was during her desire to run as Governor of Camarines Sur so the movie didn't push through. Ate Guy also told me that O'Hara was originally tapped to direct Naglalayag but due to conflicting schedules the project was offered to Maryo J. I told her that in 1984 "Bulaklak Sa City Jail" was to be helmed by Maryo J. but went instead to Mario O'Hara.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #597 on: Jul 12, 2004 at 04:29 AM »
O--Naglalayag done by O'Hara? I would have loved to see that. Anything with O'Hara and Nora together again, I would love to seee.

Jojo, La Loba Negra IS Hocloban. He changed the title because someone's claiming the rights to it.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #598 on: Jul 12, 2004 at 05:10 AM »
O--Naglalayag done by O'Hara? I would have loved to see that. Anything with O'Hara and Nora together again, I would love to seee.

Jojo, La Loba Negra IS Hocloban. He changed the title because someone's claiming the rights to it.

i didn't know that Noel... apparently so does Ate Guy. wouldn't it be great to see the two of them collaborate again on a new film?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #599 on: Jul 12, 2004 at 05:39 AM »
It sure is.

Maybe Without Seeing the Dawn has a good supporting role for her.