Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500182 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #630 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 01:41 PM »
I just saw Lino Brocka's PALIPAT-LIPAT, PAPALIT-PALIT. Dina Bonnevie and Christopher de Leon are excellent as a couple trying to save their relationship. I thought I was watching a Bernal flick with those witty lines thrown in!

And perhaps the movie created the most sympathetic gay character in Philippine cinema played by Mark Gil as the best friend of Dina Bonnevie.

I wonder how Eddie Garcia will fare in the upcoming Gallaga flick....PINOY BLONDE?  ???

Oooh, I know the names of the people that movie is based on...but I can't tell... ;D

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #631 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 05:18 PM »
Oooh, I know the names of the people that movie is based on...but I can't tell... ;D

Who wrote the sceenplay of that movie, Noel? Can you share the people behind it thru pm?  ;D ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #632 on: Feb 02, 2005 at 06:01 AM »
Who wrote the sceenplay of that movie, Noel? Can you share the people behind it thru pm?  ;D ;)

are you talking about the screenplay for Palipat-lipat? it was written by Bibeth Orteza. Noel... share it naman.  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #633 on: Feb 02, 2005 at 01:17 PM »

Bibeth is on record as the scriptwriter, sure, but that's not what I'm talking about. Anyway, if I say anything more, they'd prolly have to kill me and whoever I've blabbed it to. ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #634 on: Feb 02, 2005 at 07:24 PM »
are you talking about the screenplay for Palipat-lipat? it was written by Bibeth Orteza. Noel... share it naman.  ;D

yeah Jojo. BTW thanks again for the copy.... :).....Noel there's pm if you dont want to discuss it here man...... ;)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #635 on: Feb 02, 2005 at 10:59 PM »
I bought Imelda on DVD.  It’s a very funny and revealing documentary.  It's one of the better Pinoy films that I’ve seen recently. It's very well worth the purchase.  Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2005 at 10:59 PM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #636 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 02:13 PM »
yeah Jojo. BTW thanks again for the copy.... :).....Noel there's pm if you dont want to discuss it here man...... ;)

Sorry, not even pm...I've too many enemies as is... ;)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 02:21 PM »
Watching Eddie Garcia's Saan Nagtatago ang Pagibig? for the second time last saturday, one can't help but compare it to Mario O' Hara's Bakit Bughaw ang Langit? for the reason that both films have,as a major character, a mentally disabled person among othersimilarities. Without starting a Nora-Vilma debate here, I would have to say that O'Hara's work is better. To me, its more heartfelt and more real; you could really relate with the characters and situtations that are atypical of the Philippine setting. You laugh, you cry, along with them...when Nora got fed up and raised hell, you sympathized and sided with her.

Eddie Garcia's work, on the other hand, thought not entirely bad,( I liked his directing style here as well as the cinematography) suffers because, alas, it is a Viva movie. And like most Viva releases it about the rich and the not-so-
rich. And the story, well, was too commercial. I was in fact surprised that it was written by Bing Lao. (but to be fair the story wasn't his)
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2005 at 01:58 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 04:15 PM »
I've seen his Atsay and Abakada Ina...there's an old fashioned style there but it's kind of clunky.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 06:35 PM »
Watching Eddie Garcia's Saan Nagtatago ang Pagibig? for the second
time last saturday, one can't help but compare it to Mario O' Hara's Bakit Bughaw ang Langit? for the reason that both films have,
as a major character, a mentally disabled person among othersimilarities. Without starting a Nora-Vilma debate here, I would have to say that O'Hara's work is better. To me, its more heartfelt and more real; you could really relate with the characters and situtations that are atypical of the Philippine setting. You laugh, you cry, along with them...when Nora got fed up and raised hell, you sympathized and sided with her.

Eddie Garcia's work, on the other hand, thought not entirely bad,( I liked his directing style here as well as the cinematography) suffers because, alas, it is a Viva
movie. And like most Viva releases it about the rich and the not-so-
rich. And the story, well, was too commercial. I was in fact surprised that it was written by Bing Lao. (but to be fair the story wasn't his)

for one, Bakit Bughaw came out first... it was released in 1981 while Saan Nagtatago if i'm not mistaken was shown in 1987. O'Hara is a much better filmmaker than Garcia... i must say that Alicia Vergel gave one her most memorable performances in the film as the domineering partriarch although not in the same league as Anita Linda's portrayal of Nora's mother in Bakit Bughaw.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #640 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 06:53 PM »
Eddie Garcia's IMORTAL has a slick cinematography which I think is always present in a Viva movie. Glossy,  taken from a painted postcard album.

Being an actor and a filmmaker at the same time helps a lot in cultivating a movie. Garcia can also deliver the goods.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #641 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 06:22 AM »
Eddie Garcia's IMORTAL has a slick cinematography which I think is always present in a Viva movie. Glossy,  taken from a painted postcard album.

Being an actor and a filmmaker at the same time helps a lot in cultivating a movie. Garcia can also deliver the goods.

Imortal was just a rehash of Elwood Perez' Bilangin ng Bituin Sa Langit.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #642 on: Feb 04, 2005 at 06:43 AM »
While Bakit Bughaw ang Langit is a masterwork, a quiet drama with a quiet visual style that I'm thinking now surpasses everything done by Brocka, except maybe in Insiang and Maynila sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #643 on: Feb 08, 2005 at 04:13 AM »
Kirot
I bought a VCD of this movie.  Stella Strada is so hot.  I haven’t seen any of her movies.  Are there any other titles out there with her?

The movie has a look and structure of a Celso Ad Castillo but I don't think he directed this one. 

It's pretty tame for a “bold” movie.  No graphic sex or full frontal nudity, mostly just glimpses of Stella Estrada's perfect mammary glands.  Is this version cut?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #644 on: Feb 14, 2005 at 11:16 AM »
So what are the better films of 2004 that I should see? Sigaw?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #645 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 02:14 PM »

Ex-solon, 6 other suspected kidnappers presented to media

Posted 12:23pm (Mla time) Feb 21, 2005
By Joel Francis Guinto
INQ7.net

FORMER congressman and actor Dennis Roldan, arrested for alleged kidnapping, was presented to media in Camp Crame on Monday.

Roldan was wearing an orange shirt worn by detainees of the National Anti-Kidnapping Task Force (NAKTF), black shorts, and black sandals.

Six of Roldan's alleged accomplices were also presented. They were arrested last Sunday for the alleged kidnapping of a three-year-old son of a wealthy Chinese-Filipino family in Pasig City.

Interior Secretary Angelo Reyes said Roldan allegedly “organized” the kidnapping.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #646 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 02:41 PM »
What's the word on the grapevine, RMN? Do people think he did it?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #647 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 04:23 PM »
the authorities have incriminating evidence: his own voice, as he was calling the family of the victim i think .

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #648 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 06:15 AM »
that's a shame. o'hara considered roldan one of the best if not the best actor around.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #649 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 08:04 AM »
So what are the better films of 2004 that I should see? Sigaw?

Here's my list Noel,

Evolution of a Filipino Family - Lav Diaz
Minsan Pa - Jeffrey Jeturian
Imelda - Ramona Diaz
Pa-Siyam - Erik Matti
Sigaw - Yam Laranas (pretty much deficient but I guess it passes in my standards)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #650 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 08:49 AM »
Weirdly enough, I was watching O'Hara's Bakit Bughaw ang Langit over the weekend and wondered what happened to Dennis Roldan. Guess, I got my answer.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #651 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 12:15 PM »
Thanks, oggs.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #652 on: Feb 24, 2005 at 01:13 PM »
I was able to catch a circa 1980's documentary on Philippine cinema by Tony Rayns which he did for a British tv network. The said docu had a feature on Gerardo de Leon as well as interviews with Manuel Conde, Bernal, Brocka, Marilou Diaz, Hammi Sotto and Doy del Mundo who stood in for Mike de Leon. It was fairly interesting, despite the picture quality and it's short length.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2005 at 02:27 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #653 on: Feb 24, 2005 at 01:56 PM »
That sounds tres cool.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Critic After Dark: A Review of Philippine Cinema
« Reply #654 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 02:06 PM »
It's a compilation of my articles, from 1994 to 2004, and it's coming out in April, to be printed by the Singapore-based Big O Magazine.

The book launching will be at the 18th Singapore International Film Festival. Filmmaker Lav Diaz will be there.

Here's a link to an excerpt (an article on Tikoy Aguiluz's "Segurista" (Dead Sure, 1996)):

http://journals.aol.com/noelbotevera/MyJournal/entries/686

The book will be available online. I'll post links as soon as they are available.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2005 at 02:39 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #655 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 12:19 PM »
I was able to catch a circa 1980's documentary on Philippine cinema by Tony Rayns which he did for a British tv network. The said docu had a feature on Gerardo de Leon as well as interviews with Manuel Conde, Bernal, Brocka, Marilou Diaz, Hammi Sotto and Doy del Mundo who stood in for Mike de Leon. It was fairly interesting, despite the picture quality and it's short length.

Where did you catch that RMN and how might I see it?
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2005 at 12:19 PM by commentary »

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Critic After Dark: A Review of Philippine Cinema
« Reply #656 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 12:21 PM »
It's a compilation of my articles, from 1994 to 2004, and it's coming out in April, to be printed by the Singapore-based Big O Magazine.

The book launching will be at the 18th Singapore International Film Festival. Filmmaker Lav Diaz will be there.

Here's a link to an excerpt (an article on Tikoy Aguiluz's "Segurista" (Dead Sure, 1996)):

http://journals.aol.com/noelbotevera/MyJournal/entries/686

The book will be available online. I'll post links as soon as they are available.

sounds tres cool. and long overdue. congrats.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #657 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 12:46 PM »
Tenk yew!  ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #658 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 01:07 PM »
Where did you catch that RMN and how might I see it?

At the NCCA. Ask Teddy Co! :)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #659 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 01:12 PM »
I was told that LVN Pictures, after 60 years in the business, will be ceasing operations sometime this year due to the industry slump and the exorbatant real estate taxes they are paying for their large but under utilized compound. It was bound to happen sooner or later, and I think this signifies an end of an era  and heralds the start of something new and hopefully better for Philippine Cinema.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2005 at 01:31 PM by RMN »