Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500100 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #720 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 11:52 AM »
Yeah, I remember it.

This lack of Guillen love seems new to me. Is it because she's gotten so much power? It wasn't always so--for the longest time she was on sabbatical.

Guillen is inconsistent. She's turned in terrible work--that Taal Volcano flick with Gelli de Belen, for one. But when you do even one good, maybe great film, you've done that film; it's yours, on your filmography, period, no matter how many crappy movies you've made since.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #721 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 12:58 PM »
SALOME is considered a classic now. That Taal Volcano flick as the background was APOY SA PUSO with Dawn Zulueta.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #722 on: Jun 04, 2005 at 09:30 PM »
You're probably thinking of some other woman filmmaker, with no feeling for eroticism or sensuality in any of her films. ;D

Agree.  I also dislike that other filmmaker especially her more recent works.  They are overblown melodramas.  Technically they’re good (because the films are well funded by big producers) but that’s about it.

My first introduction to her movie was her comeback film,  Ika-11 utos: Mahalin Mo, Asawa Mo.  Prior to that I’ve heard/read a lot about her and that she’s supposed to be really good feminist director (Brutal was always mentioned in the articles).  I was so devastated after watching that movie.  It was like the funniest horror movie that I’ve ever seen.  Still I made a mistake of watching her films mostly because the trailers were good and there were a lot of buzz about them (Muro-ami and Jose Rizal) but more often than not I always went home disappointed.  Her movies sucked and to make matter worse they were terribly long and overlong.  A total waste of time!

Her older movies fare a lot better. Moral for example is a great film.  One of the best Filipino films that I’ve seen:  Funny, Bernal-eque.
I haven’t seen her Karnal and Brutal so I can’t comment on them. Another two movies of her that I liked are May Nagmamahal sa Iyo and Sa Pusod ng Dagat (again very derivative of Bernal’s Nunal sa Tubig). Her Ipaglaban mo: The Movie is at least watchable.

But I’ve stupidly bought a VCD copy of her Alyas Baby Tsina.  I almost burned it after watching it.  It’s one of those movies that wouldn’t have been great but was completely ruined in the end.  It’s a Bulaklak Sa City Jail wannabe.

I actually have Noon at Ngayon... Pagsasamang Kayganda (Moral 2?) on DVD for more than two years now and I still haven’t made myself to finish watching it.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2005 at 09:31 PM by rse »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #723 on: Jun 05, 2005 at 08:35 AM »
I'm still dying to see BRUTAL until now rse which is said to be grim and realistic. If only this is available on the market today.

KARNAL has a great narrative, period movie which has some elements of superstition. The great Vic Silayan and Charito Solis are here! Its been shown once in a while on Cinema One.

Totally agree with Marilou Diaz Abaya's recent works.....overblown melodramas. I think she should go back making feminist movies wherein she's good always.

MORAL is outstanding piece of work! Deserves to be rank among the great films of the 2nd Golden Age of Philippine Cinema.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2005 at 08:36 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #724 on: Jun 05, 2005 at 10:48 AM »
Moral is one of her best. There are those that argue, I'm not necessarily one of them, that the auteur in both Moral and Brutal isn't she of whom we do not speak, but Ricky Lee. His sensibilities are so strong any lesser filmmaker--or relatively new one--can be dominated. It takes a Brocak or Bernal to keep him in his place.

Karnal I'm not fond of. Feel it's a Kisapmata rethread, down to Vic Silayan playing yet another rapacious father. Plus towards the end it starts to become unintentionally funny.

Brutal despite some felicities, has weaknesses. For one, the early rape sequences don't resonate, or have much sexuality to them (I know the old line--rape is all about power--but check out the rape scenes in Straw Dogs, A Day in the Countryside, and Last Tango in Paris, and Init sa Magdamag among others and tell me they don't have any sexuality to them). Another thing is that Charo Santos' story is more interesting, or seems livelier than Amy Austria's--seems to me she who we will not name has trouble relating to the lower classes than to the middle class. Otherwise, yep--it's a pretty good Ricky Lee film. ;D

Offline bad_movie

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #725 on: Jun 05, 2005 at 03:10 PM »
let's just say bilang lang ang magandang filipino films...the rest bulok! mas bulok pa sa isdang ginagawang patis...samahan mo pa ng mga love story ng mga walang karapatang umarte pati plot na kinuha lang sa baul ni lola inday...i think namatay ang pelikulang pilipino ng namatay na lahat ang magagaling na direktor gaya ni lino broca(tama ba spelling? lol) kumpara mo naman sa mahilig gumawa ng life story ni kamote, kilala nyo naman siguro kung sino yun....

walang pagunlad kung ang isip ng lahat ay pagpapayaman sa sarili.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
'CRITIC AFTER DARK' IN MANILA: an update
« Reply #726 on: Jun 11, 2005 at 04:44 PM »
DETAILS ON THE BOOK

Supply reportedly ran low in Datelines Bookshop in Cubao, only two copies left as of last week ('selling like bibingkas (hot rice cakes)' is how someone put it); don't know about Old Pop (also in Cubao). Seventeen more copies are on their way.

Meantime, I'm expecting twenty copies (yes--twenty!) to be available soon at the Cultural Center of the Philippines' bookshop, in time for the Cinemalaya Filmfest on July 12 to 17.

« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2005 at 04:57 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #727 on: Jun 11, 2005 at 05:56 PM »
Moral is one of her best. There are those that argue, I'm not necessarily one of them, that the auteur in both Moral and Brutal isn't she of whom we do not speak, but Ricky Lee. His sensibilities are so strong any lesser filmmaker--or relatively new one--can be dominated. It takes a Brocak or Bernal to keep him in his place.

Karnal I'm not fond of. Feel it's a Kisapmata rethread, down to Vic Silayan playing yet another rapacious father. Plus towards the end it starts to become unintentionally funny.

Brutal despite some felicities, has weaknesses. For one, the early rape sequences don't resonate, or have much sexuality to them (I know the old line--rape is all about power--but check out the rape scenes in Straw Dogs, A Day in the Countryside, and Last Tango in Paris, and Init sa Magdamag among others and tell me they don't have any sexuality to them). Another thing is that Charo Santos' story is more interesting, or seems livelier than Amy Austria's--seems to me she who we will not name has trouble relating to the lower classes than to the middle class. Otherwise, yep--it's a pretty good Ricky Lee film. ;D

Noel, you do present a very intriguing point regarding the Abaya-Lee dynamics. I loved Brutal, Moral and even Karnal. I considered Abaya a great director based on those three films and thought that Sensual (which I thought was a very antiseptic erotic movie) was just her stumbling after making these cool films. 

I eagerly awaited her return to Philippine Cinema when the old vanguards died -- only to be extremely disappointed by the very confused Sa Pusod ng Dagat, which was exacerbated by Rizal. After that, I never watched an Abaya film again.

And now you've posited an explanation that I may have loved Ricky Lee films all along. Great insight.  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #728 on: Jun 11, 2005 at 06:47 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

You love Karnal? Seen it lately?

I'm thinking Brocka's politicization (Jaguar, Bayan Ko, Orapronobis)may have been hugely flavored by Pete Lacaba as well (he practically is the auteur of de Leon's Sister Stella L). Those are two of the strongest pair of voices in Philippine cinema, I think, writerwise.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #729 on: Jun 11, 2005 at 09:00 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

You love Karnal? Seen it lately?

I'm thinking Brocka's politicization (Jaguar, Bayan Ko, Orapronobis)may have been hugely flavored by Pete Lacaba as well (he practically is the auteur of de Leon's Sister Stella L). Those are two of the strongest pair of voices in Philippine cinema, I think, writerwise.

Haven't seen Karnal in a while. Actually, I liked Karnal because, aside from Itim, we never really had a film with a strong gothic flavor. I do remember this old period film (I think it was in the 50s) about a man whose life was tied to a rose he gave to a woman he kept in his palace but until now I haven't met a person who remembers that movie much less its title.

You're right, Brocka's most overtly political films were written by Lacaba. Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang comes close but it's more of a social commentary.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #730 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 03:46 AM »
This, i've yet to see (the " -al " film of Marilou Diaz-Abaya)  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #731 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 08:55 AM »
Actually, I liked Karnal because, aside from Itim, we never really had a film with a strong gothic flavor.

Well...The Fatima Buen Story (which I much prefer to Karnal); the "Bukas Madilim, Bukas" segment of Tatlo Dalawa Isa; Gumising Ka Maruja (which is a seriously flawed film, but which I still prefer over Karnal); and Kisapmata has no overtly supernatural elements but it feels like a Gothic film--like a better version of The Shining, actually (which I do like, but prefer de Leon's). Oh wow, and Gerry de Leon's El Filibusterismo. Pancho Magalona's Simoun is a magnificent villain.

You're right, Brocka's most overtly political films were written by Lacaba. Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang comes close but it's more of a social commentary.

That's why I much prefer the earlier films. They operated on so many levels--political, social, poetic, personal. And the morality of the characters was more complex, not so clear-cut--I mean, in Lacaba's films, they tend to be drawn across class lines.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #732 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 09:12 AM »
God, I don't know if I can watch a Kris Aquino movie even if O'Hara directed it, hehe. I'll try to watch it though. I forgot about Maruja -- but then my memories of that movie are so vague.

Lacaba's characters are so clearly delineated morally and yup, class lines are always significant in his works. It could be because of Lacaba's very strong activist background. What I love about his scripts though is the dialogue -- it never feels stilted, every line sounds natural.

Noel, what's your opinion on the late Amado Lacuesta?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #733 on: Jun 12, 2005 at 09:37 AM »
God, I don't know if I can watch a Kris Aquino movie even if O'Hara directed it, hehe.

Think of Max Ophuls' Lola Montes, with a non-actress in the leading role, and a wonderful film surrounding her. Every supporting role in that film is terrific, from an excellent Gina Pareno and John Regala to an even better Janice de Belen. Even Zoren Legaspi is very good in this.

I'd also throw in Celso Ad. Castillo's Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara, and (even better, but no one'll agree with me on this) Lihim ni Madonna.

Lacaba's dialogue is very fine, one of the best. And his storytelling is par none. There is little fat in his scripts, they're very tight, with excellent structure. He could write for Howard Hawks.

Amado Lacuesta is a different flavor entirely. I like his humor, and his appreciation of women. His best works are probably Working Girls and Hinugot sa Langit.

I hear his son does good work, but I haven't been able it read any of it, dammit (wink, wink).

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #734 on: Jun 13, 2005 at 02:57 PM »
Posted this in pinoyexchange, might as well post it here:

I've said plenty about Filipino films. I don't understand why this hasn't been moved to the other folder. Lemme follow up with the mods about that.

Of Filipino fantasy, favorites would include Brocka's Gumising Ka Maruja, Celso's Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara, Bernal's Prigider, Mario O'Hara's Halimaw sa Banga, Dolphy's Omeng Satanasya, and Gerry de Leon's Blood of the Vampires and Caridad porton of  Fe, Esperanza, Caridad.

Great fantasy would include Gerry de Leon's Sanda Wong and Sawa sa Lumang Simboryo, and O'Hara's Pangarap ng Puso.

Good to great science fiction would include de Leon's Terror is a Man, Mike de Leon's Aliwan Paradise segment of Southern Winds, and Lav Diaz's Hesus Rebolusyunaryo.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #735 on: Jun 13, 2005 at 05:40 PM »
How about the first Dyesebel & Darna movies, Noel? Both created by the late Mars Ravelo.

I've heard that the first Darna movie which was found in Thailand was actually excised and not the complete one? How could it be? My friend who taped the Eyewitness program on channel 7 said it.

Even Nick de Ocampo and the other people who just came from Thailand was quite disappointed. They brought the vhs tape of the movie not the masterprint.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #736 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 05:24 AM »
Darna's of interest of course but I've more regard for Gerry de Leon's Dyesebel. As Pierre Rissient put it, it's very Bunuelian.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #737 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 10:54 AM »
How about the first Dyesebel & Darna movies, Noel? Both created by the late Mars Ravelo.

I've heard that the first Darna movie which was found in Thailand was actually excised and not the complete one? How could it be? My friend who taped the Eyewitness program on channel 7 said it.

Even Nick de Ocampo and the other people who just came from Thailand was quite disappointed. They brought the vhs tape of the movie not the masterprint.

from what i heard the only existing print of Rosa del Rosario's Darna is owned by her grandaughter and it was up for sale last year for a cool 1 million pesos... i wonder if there were any takers. most Darna fans are looking for a copy in any format mind you of Lipad, Darna, Lipad! the trilogy produced by Sine Filipino and directed by Elwood Perez, Joey Gosiengfiao & Emmanuel H. Borlaza.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #738 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 08:21 PM »
Jojo the Darna vs. Babaing Tuod was the one that was found in Thailand restored and preserved through the years. I believe this is the Rosa del Rosario flick.

I don't know how it was found in Thailand, I have to borrow the tape (Eyewitness) first from my friend.

Since we are talking of fantasy flicks, Jo, what's the title of the Ariel Ureta movie wherein he was being chase by a vampire......very surreal...very weird also like Elektrika.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #739 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 09:54 PM »
Brocka's Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa is showing tommorow on Studio 23's Lunch Box Office.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #740 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 12:17 PM »
Jojo the Darna vs. Babaing Tuod was the one that was found in Thailand restored and preserved through the years. I believe this is the Rosa del Rosario flick.

I don't know how it was found in Thailand, I have to borrow the tape (Eyewitness) first from my friend.

Since we are talking of fantasy flicks, Jo, what's the title of the Ariel Ureta movie wherein he was being chase by a vampire......very surreal...very weird also like Elektrika.

i think Darna at ang Babaing Tuod was the sequel to the original with Rosa del Rosario. the Ariel Ureta movie where he is being chased by a vampire played by Orestes Ojeda was Si Popeye Atbp. also produced by Sine Filipino. it was the follow up to Zoom, Zoom Superman!
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2005 at 12:18 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #741 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 12:51 PM »
Zoom, Zoom Superman! was the first Bernal film I ever saw...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #742 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 09:07 PM »
I can still remember Si Popeye Atbp. wherein the singing narrators are Jim Paredes & Danny Javier of the Apo Hiking Society. Man, we are ahead of Robert Altman's POPEYE with Robin Williams if I'm not mistaken.

See....our filmmakers still have the original vision. Thanks again for the info, Jo.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2005 at 09:33 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2005 at 12:39 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #744 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 10:56 AM »
Isah Red is probably right. We are producing poor movies that's why audience never show up. But then many quality films were shown some years back and they never troop to the movies.

Filipinos should also be blame for. They never learned.

MY colleagues and I  came to see MAGNIFICO on its 3rd day run at Sm CInema and we were surprised that it was already pulled out on its 3rd day while the likes of Terminator 3 had extended run for 3 weeks!

Now I'm betting that  PINOY BLONDE will only last for one week because of the current situation now....if it extend beyond one week there's a reason to celebrate for!

Count censorshiop and piracy......let's just cremate PHILIPPINE CINEMA tagal ng nakaburol, Noel.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2005 at 11:01 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #745 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 12:47 PM »
Lots of new filmmakers showing up...hard to write off an artform when it's still growing, somehow, despite everything. The industry is in dire straits, but I think the art still has vigor...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #746 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 12:55 PM »
Yeah, I know, man.

But the problem are the audience, they never troop to watch Filipino movies. So how can we survive?

Thank God the old ones are still here.....O'Hara, Gallaga, Guillen, Rono, the vanguards still show vitality against all odds.....Lav Diaz, Jeturian.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #747 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 01:30 PM »
how can we survive?

I made some suggestions earlier, about government regulating Hollywood movies to choke em back a little, or at least let the local industry ride piggyback on their success.

This is what the French do. Their movies don't suck much, either.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #748 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 01:38 PM »
That would be a good idea. This happened before during the 70's and 80's where most Filipino films were shown in cinemas than Hollywood fare.

Imagine less traffic on Edsa during weekdays and even on weekends because there is no Hollywood movie showing on cinemas.  ;D

So France regulates the less import of Hollywood movies?  ???
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2005 at 01:41 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #749 on: Jul 09, 2005 at 04:20 PM »
France taxes Hollywood movies heavily, and uses the taxes to subsidize French filmmaking.

I think it makes sense. Get Mel Gibson to help pay for Mario O'Hara. The hack pay for the artist.