Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 501299 times)

Offline edsa77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #780 on: Aug 07, 2005 at 08:53 PM »
If Lav Diaz followed every bit of Torre's advice he'd be another Joey Reyes.

LAV DIAZ SAYS..

Ang pinakamalaking kasalanan ng Inquirer sa lahat ay pinayagan nitong magsalita ang isang kolumnista tungkol sa independent cinema na hindi naman nito naiintindihan at wala itong authority para magsalita tungkol dito. Ano ba ang pelikulang nagawa niya? Naghihiganti siya dahil pinagtawanan 'yung pelikula niyang ginawa noon. Sabi niya hindi magagawa ang "Kriminal ng Barrio Concepcion" in twenty years after manalo ito sa scriptwriting contest. The next year,naging pelikula siya. Ngayon, ang nakakalungkot, siya ang nagdidikta sa mga bata ng kung ano ang indie cinema dahil lagi siyang nababasa. May power siyang ikontrol ang utak ng mga tao tungkol sa kultura. May power siyang sabihin na dapat hindi lagpas ng dalawang oras ang pelikula mo.

Nakakatawa.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #781 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 01:35 PM »
Lav really is being too diplomatic and tactful. He should tell us exactly what he feels!  ;D

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #782 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:40 PM »
Isah Red's article "Who Killed the Tagalog Movies?" and my reply

CRITIC AFTER DARK: A REVIEW OF PHILIPPINE CINEMA now available at Datelines Bookstore, Cubao

Noel, your book is still selling like hotcakes at Dateline Bookstore. I'll grab one after payday this month and pls sign it when you come home.  :D

Congrats man! When can I expect Volume 2?  ;D about our own filmmakers?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #783 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:45 PM »
Thanks man. Volume 2 might be a focus on a filmmaker...

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #784 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:16 PM »

Example of a 60's movie plot I vaguely remember and tell me if it's not something you'll see at a typical korean telenovela.

Luis Gonzales met an accident and needed an operation to save his eyesight. He had a falling out with his girlfriend Gloria Romero because of the evil scheming of Luis's mother and siblings. Gloria begged the family to let her see him and take care of him in his time of need. The family agreed on the condition that Gloria will not speak and introduce herself to Luis, that she will just be represented as a live in nurse needed for the situation.

Luis is still mad at Gloria, and in his darkness vents out his anger to the delight of the family because it is done in front of Gloria, unknowingly, of course.

The day came that the doctor had to remove the bandage on his eyes. The family asked Gloria to leave before that happens. When the bandaged were removed, Luis is blind, the operation was unsuccessful. Upon learning this, Gloria again begged the family for her to take care of Luis in the same capacity.

Luis continues his angry outburst against Gloria, Gloria suffers silently, and the family rejoices over her misfortunes.

Then suddenly Luis made it known to everybody that the operation was really successful and he is just faking it to confirm for himself what he suspect all along. And Luis and Gloria lived happily ever after. ;D

I apologize if the plot as I remember it is not entirely accurate. But does that sound something you'll see in a Korean Telenovela? It's sad that we abandoned that genre.

voj,

Maybe you're referring to the movie "Bulung-bulungan". If you are, then it's the late Nida Blanca who co-starred with Luis Gonzales in this movie.

The story is exactly like what you posted but I remember it with Luis being deaf not blind. Luis, later in the end, proved that Nida didn't cheat on her when his hearing returned and that's when they lived happily ever after. And I remember this movie because of it's theme song of the same title. The song goes like this:

'Wag kang manalig sa bulung-bulungan
Na ikaw giliw ay pinagtaksilan
'Pagkat maraming naiinggit lamang
Sa ating labis na pagmamahalan

Kung nais mo na mapatunayan
Na ang pag-ibig ko'y tunay at dalisay
Dibdib ko giliw ay buksan mong tuluyan
At doon ay malasin ang pagsintang tunay.

Di mo batid ang tunay kong damdamin
Giliw, ikaw lamang ang iibigin
Kahit libong dusa ay hahamakin
Kung ikaw ang magdudulot, ay ligaya sa akin.

Unless you're referring to a different movie with the same plot  ::)
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:21 PM by Quitacet »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #785 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 03:52 PM »
I don't know where to pst this so I'll put it here...

Irma Adlawan, Paolo Rodriguez and Mario O'Hara in Tanghalang Pilipino's production of The Whore from Ohio, which runs from October 7 to 23, 2005.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #786 on: Oct 06, 2005 at 01:26 PM »
I likes me some Irma--rowr.

I'd love to see this, but I can't; someone make kuwento!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #787 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 06:49 PM »
i remember someone asking me the names of the twin characters Rio Locsin played in Kambal Sa Uma. they were Ella & Vira taken from their mother's name Elvira played by Lucita Soriano. i was able to get a copy of the movie at an old video store in Chicago.  :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #788 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 06:53 PM »
I can't remember anymore the names of the twins in KAMBAL SA UMA. The prosthetics of Locsin seems very authentic. To think that Road Runner doesn't exist during those times. Was it late 70's, Jo?
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2005 at 06:54 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #789 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 07:32 PM »
it was made in the 80's... another film i bought was Kidlat Tahimik's Perfumed Nightmare. i actually carried two big boxes of old films from the video store and i took them all back with me here to the East Coast hehehe...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #790 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 07:44 PM »
it was made in the 80's... another film i bought was Kidlat Tahimik's Perfumed Nightmare. i actually carried two big boxes of old films from the video store and i took them all back with me here to the East Coast hehehe...

Cool.  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #791 on: Oct 19, 2005 at 03:32 AM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #792 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 10:53 PM »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 05:32 PM »
INQUIRER EXCLUSIVE
The ballads of Boyet

First posted 09:03pm (Mla time) Oct 25, 2005
By Bayani San Diego
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on Page A2-1 of the October 26, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

NOW IS THE RIGHT time,” says Christopher “Boyet” de Leon of his newest endeavor, a collection of “classic” theme songs from his past movies.

The CD also celebrates his 30th anniversary in show biz, since making a debut in and winning a Famas Best Actor for Lino Brocka’s “Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang.”

Although he is more known as a Drama King, music is in his blood—dad Gil de Leon and mom Lilia Dizon, as well as sisters Pinky and Lara Melissa, are all singers.

Moreover, his earliest training was in musical theater.

“For my first play, ‘Godspell,’ Peta (Philippine Educational Theater Association) required me to take voice lessons,” Boyet recalls. “I played Jesus in that play. Later on, I co-starred with Juno Henares in ‘They’re Playing Our Song.’ ”

He headlined concerts with the rest of the Bad Bananas, Edgar Mortiz, Johnny Delgado and the late Jay Ilagan.

He also sang in 1970s movies like “Tisoy” and “Kung Mangarap Ka’t Magising.”

“In ‘Kung Mangarap,’ 
Print this story
Send this story
Write the editor
Reprint this article
View other stories 

I played a songwriter,” he recounts. “In ‘Kakaba Kaba Ka Ba?’ I was a band leader. In ‘Tinimbang ang Langit,’ I played a composer in love with Kuh Ledesma.”

For “Tinimbang ang Langit,” Boyet was included in the movie’s soundtrack. “I also guested in the soundtracks of my movies with Sharon Cuneta [“Bituing Walang Ningning”] and Regine Velasquez [“Pangarap Ko Ang Ibigin Ka”]. I even did a long-playing album with [ex-wife] Nora Aunor in 1975 [“In Love,” under Vicor]. But I’ve never done a solo album.”

As early as four years ago, the actor was already toying with the idea of recording a solo album.

Album producer Eloisa Matias recalls: “Last year, Boyet paid for the studio time of the first three songs he recorded—‘Sisikat Din Ako’ [from “Kakaba”], ‘Hanggan’ [from “Dekada ’70”] and ‘Sana’y Ikaw na Nga’ [from the movie of the same title, with Vina Morales].”

He didn’t assume that just because he’s a big star, recording companies would be falling all over themselves to sign him up. Just like any aspiring singer, he cut a demo which was sent to at least three major labels.

“Two hours after we had submitted the demo tape, Eugene Villaluz and Baby Gil of Viva were on the phone,” Eloisa says. “They wanted to produce his album.”

Soon enough, Boyet inked a three-album deal with Viva Records. “The movie theme songs will have a Book One and Book Two. The third album will consist of inspirational songs,” the actor says.

He also had the chance to try out the CD’s concept on a recent visit to the US for a series of concerts.

“The audience enjoyed themselves,” Boyet says. “While singing the old theme songs, excerpts from the films were flashed onscreen. It was as if they were reminiscing with me.”

In a lot of ways, he considers the CD, to be released in December, “a dream come true.”

He singles out “Bituing Walang Ningning” as the most challenging.
“It’s hard to sing,” he explains. “I think only real singers can give it justice. My hats off to Mega [Sharon Cuneta] because she’s the original.”

Sharon says the late filmmaker Lino Brocka once compared Boyet’s voice to Sammy Davis Jr.’s—brimming with soul and emotion.

“You’ll hear it in this album,” Eloisa says. “In one song, there’s a Bono vibe. In another, Martin Nievera because Boyet is basically a balladeer. Very dramatic.”

His being an actor is his main strength as a singer, says Eloisa. “The way he delivers the lyrics. The way he stresses each word. He’s a perfectionist.”

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #794 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 11:33 AM »
Has anyone seen Rico Ilarde's Sa Ilalim ng Cogon? I've read kasi sa Philippine Star it won best horror pic in an obscure horror filmfest in Argentina. I actually enjoyed his movie "Ang Babaeng Putik" which I saw a long long time ago on Cinema One.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #795 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 02:12 PM »
I wrote about it for Cinemanila--where it didn't get shown, unfortunately. Weak script, but I like the direction and photography.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #796 on: Nov 19, 2005 at 12:46 PM »
An ebay sighting:

Zamboanga

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2005 at 12:51 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #797 on: Nov 19, 2005 at 12:57 PM »
How much starting bid, RMN?  :)

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #798 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 03:43 AM »
How about the films they show on 21st Century Channel, like those starring George Estregan and Tony Ferrer?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #800 on: Nov 25, 2005 at 09:06 AM »
Heads up, folks!

Marilou Diaz Abaya's classic and best film MORAL will be shown tonite 9:30 at the F Filmfest at the Shang Cinema.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #801 on: Dec 05, 2005 at 09:09 PM »
just out of curiosity.  i remember seeing these superhero films back in the 70s and im just wondering if there are still surviving copies out there.

ate guy's super gee
ate vi's lipad darna lipad
ariel ureta's zoom zoom superman (or is it zoom superman zoom?)
trixia gomez' elektra kasi eh

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #802 on: Dec 06, 2005 at 07:24 AM »
Super Gee is no longer available. the only existing print was burned down along with all the early movies produced by NV Productions such as Carmela & Paru-Parong Itim.

as for Lipad, Darna, Lipad! & Zoom, Zoom, Superman, both films were produced by Sine Pilipino as far as i know Douglas Quijano was one of the producers. i'm not sure whether he has copies of these films. even Elwood Perez who directed one of the Darna episodes doesn't have a copy. Elektrika was produced by Lyra Ventures... there must be a copy somewhere, right Keating?  ;)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #803 on: Dec 06, 2005 at 08:34 AM »
Teddy Co might help us Jojo in digging those old Sine Pilipino flicks. I didn't know that Douglas was one of the brains behind ZOOM, ZOOM SUPERMAN.

Yeah I want to see those rare films again.......mind you in 5.1 DD.  :D

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #804 on: Dec 06, 2005 at 09:17 PM »
that is depressing news.  whatever others might say, super gee was a part of the filipino legacy and to lose it forever like that, well, sayang talaga.  i remember following the series in espesyal komiks back in the 70s and when i heard that it was being turned into a movie, i asked my ermat to see it although she didnt want to.y'see she was a diehard vilmanian and she did not want to see a nora flick.

remember zoom zoom superman had orestes ojeda as a leprechaun or was it an alien.
while lipad darna had gloria romero as the manananggal, liza lorena as the babaeng lawin and the one and only celia rodriguez as valentina.  cant believe i still remember those.

also coming back now, ate vi's phantom lady and angelica where she played ghost, distinctly remember seeing it in avenue.  also loved nora in wonderland which we saw in dalisay theatre in avenida...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #805 on: Dec 09, 2005 at 05:58 PM »
Don't forget SUPERGIRL with Pinky Montilla. Its way, way ahead and definitely much better than Helen Slater's SUPERGIRL.

That Hollywood film was pure crap and trash.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2005 at 06:32 PM by keating »

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #806 on: Dec 15, 2005 at 07:32 PM »
yeah i remember that one also.  it had zombies and giant frogs for villains.  remember odette quesada playing the witch while mildred ortega played pinky montilla's sister? 

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #807 on: Dec 15, 2005 at 07:47 PM »
Man, you made me laugh! LOL! That was Odette Khan, Odette Quesada was not yet a singer during those times.  ;D

And remember those big eyes of Odette and the sequence wherein Montilla went inside the church and let one of the zombies do the sign of the cross? Very creepy indeed!  :o

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #808 on: Dec 15, 2005 at 08:10 PM »
Man, you made me laugh! LOL! That was Odette Khan, Odette Quesada was not yet a singer during those times.  ;D

And remember those big eyes of Odette and the sequence wherein Montilla went inside the church and let one of the zombies do the sign of the cross? Very creepy indeed!  :o

hehe...did not notice that one slip, yeah i meant odette khan.  wasnt it romeo miranda was in there too?  i think he was also a zombie...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #809 on: Dec 15, 2005 at 08:30 PM »
I didn't know Romeo Miranda, plus the other cast in that excellent, ground breaking film. The music that was used when the zombies started to rise from their grave was also used in COFFIN JOE TRILOGY.

Its nice to watch this film in full black and white glory. But the print is presumably lost.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2005 at 08:52 PM by keating »